PDA

View Full Version : Where is that sense of speed???

neefoo
05-10-2017, 06:41
Hello!

I think the game in its default state is lacking the sense of speed. When going 200kph+ it feels like Im going in just 70 or something. There is not way for me to tell the speed, really, without checking the speedometer with a hawks eye. The only view that gives med any sens of speed is the bumper cam. The worst example is the chase cam. (default distance), going in 150kph feels like 50! The car does hardly seem to move.

Any suggestions to make the sens of speed higher?

Thanks a lot. =)

Siberian Tiger
05-10-2017, 07:19
Yes, use the Correct FoV ;) You can calculate it here:

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php (Select ProjectCars)

Sankyo
05-10-2017, 08:16

Hold on, what does that calculate? Doesn't it determine correct FOV by assuming that your monitor represents a cut-out from a real-car windshield? That way there will be little sense of speed (but good accuracy). If you want to have more sense of speed, you should use high(er) FOV values showing you more of the surroundings swishing by.

TKMSte66
05-10-2017, 09:21
I hate using the correct FOV. Everything feels in slow motion. I agree with the OP. That is why I prefer to use a bonnet cam (not excluseively before the 'its a sim' guys chirp up) in tin tops purely for sense of speed.
I would say that Sense of speed seemed to vanish in games once we went above 30fps. Saying that, the F1 games have always been quite good at maintaining the feel.

mrconorluby
06-10-2017, 05:13
Same. What happened sicne shift anyone have ideal settings?

OddTimer
06-10-2017, 14:45
I hate using the correct FOV. Everything feels in slow motion. I agree with the OP. That is why I prefer to use a bonnet cam (not excluseively before the 'its a sim' guys chirp up) in tin tops purely for sense of speed.
I would say that Sense of speed seemed to vanish in games once we went above 30fps. Saying that, the F1 games have always been quite good at maintaining the feel.

just trying to guess it here....try time trial and do a few laps there...then set a race as you probably normally do at the same track in the same car and start a race with the AI, does it feel any slower then TT?

Ciccina2016
07-10-2017, 15:20
got the same issue here.. when racing with touring car... they seem stuck in the track..

Dirtryder
10-10-2017, 19:43
Don't worry about using a calculator, just increase the fov angle in the camera setup untill it feels right for you. There are several calculators out there, I have tried many of them, none of them give the same result so I figure they are all rubbish.

Albertsen
12-10-2017, 09:06
I can understand the concept behind the FOV calculator, but it is kinda strange.
If you have a big screen (Like a 50 inch) it calculates FOV to be ~78 - but a 19" screen gets a FOV at ~18.
I'd say that the speed experience is vastly different comparing those two setups.

If you were racing in real life, looking out a real life windscreen, or through a pipe of sorts that narrows your view a lot - the speed experience would be the same, cause your field of view stays the same.

sidy
13-10-2017, 14:05
World Movement

T Ghost
13-10-2017, 21:30

Thanks, that's a neat tool. It is suggesting that I set my FOV on PC to 30 degrees when sitting 4ft away from a 55" screen. Is it right?

EDIT: NVM, I got it...

LockeChris
13-10-2017, 21:52
I think so too, the lack of sense of speed is probably the one big negative aspect of the game for me. It'll take A LOT of getting used to. After 30 hours of playing I still understeer around many many corners because I feel like I'm slow enough for them...it's like watching an onboard replay of a real race, where everything seems strangely slow too.
The problem with increasing the FOV is that it starts to look wrong at some point and apart from that it costs a lot of performance, at least on my machine.

Trabbant
13-10-2017, 22:37
Hmm, interesting, just started playing today, didn't notice until a Ginetta round at Silverstone and the car seemed to glacially slide round the last corner killing all sense of speed. I was doing maybe 50mph....Felt like 10.

FWIW I go by the old mantra of perspective, if, using line of sight, the steering wheel in cockpit view matches the perspective of my actual wheel then it's a reasonable match.

My guess is it's an optical aberration, which happens for a few moments and upsets the brain, a timing thing, when everything is supposed to be happening really fast the images cause a strobe effect, slowing everything down. Or something like that.

I've only noticed it a couple of times though, so it is an aberration rather than any intrinsic problem.

T Ghost
14-10-2017, 16:20
Yeah, I got the theory, but practice isn't cutting. After trying a LOT of FoVs, using calculators, playing with the in game seat position and my proximity to my 55" 4k Display, the cockpit and helmet cams have a poor, unrealistic sense of speed:

FoV at 65
Cockpit cam
2016 FERRARI 488 GT3
Monza
150MPH/240KPH
Speed sense = exactly doing 30mph/50KPH with my real life Mazda CX-3 on any New England road
With other racing cars ahead of you, SOS (sense of speed) improves, but still feels like 30-40MPH when going 150MPH

Issue is not present when playing Assetto Corsa on Xbox One, with "correct" FoV. Just saying.

RHCP72
15-10-2017, 09:02
I had the same issue early on , found that changing the FOV to 85 ish really improved the speed .

Olijke Poffer
15-10-2017, 11:05
Yeah, I got the theory, but practice isn't cutting. After trying a LOT of FoVs, using calculators, playing with the in game seat position and my proximity to my 55" 4k Display, the cockpit and helmet cams have a poor, unrealistic sense of speed:

FoV at 65
Cockpit cam
2016 FERRARI 488 GT3
Monza
150MPH/240KPH
Speed sense = exactly doing 30mph/50KPH with my real life Mazda CX-3 on any New England road
With other racing cars ahead of you, SOS (sense of speed) improves, but still feels like 30-40MPH when going 150MPH

Issue is not present when playing Assetto Corsa on Xbox One, with "correct" FoV. Just saying.

How is it possible that you have a sense of speed in AC and in Pcars with the same FOV you don’t... shoot me.
I also have low FOV, 58 and the sense of speed is a lot less compared to a FOV of 70. But I drive better with the lower FOV.

Disease
17-10-2017, 07:58
my solution to this, might work for you..
I made my FOV quite wide, +90 for my TV(cant recall my exact number and might vary per TV) then I moved my seat position forward until the view of my interior was about the same as I was originally using.
this way, my car looks/feels pretty much exactly the same but the outside world whizzes past much better.
just have to be careful with a FOV that is too wide or things will distort..

fyi - I also have the world movement and g forces on high levels as well.

RomKnight
17-10-2017, 09:31
I always preferred accuracy over the rest. Then I went triple screens so I could have both (because it's the main reason they're there).

Then VR came up... AHEM...

Anyway, it's a preference and I found very early that I was simply better driver with proper FOV. It's a trade off that I think it's worth it.

I hate blur as this occurs naturally for me and it takes FPS away too :p but it can help with the sense of speed (been so long without it now...)

In the end though, most with just find a compromise.

Just use the calculator and then add 10 to the value and go from there. As long it's not distorted (IIRC) it should be fine.
the [] keys I think are the default to change that in real-time BTW.

flatspunout
24-10-2017, 00:02
Going back and forth between PC1 and PC2 using the same FOV, shake, and movement settings definitely highlights this issue for me. It's not just that it feels slower, it just doesn't feel as natural or intuitive as the first game. First corner at Monza, hard on the binders, getting the speed and turn-in just right FELT natural and (after about 69,000 laps at Monza since that's all anyone runs online) I can put the right front wheel exactly where I want it 9/10 times in PC1. In PC2, same settings, same corner, everything feels and looks good until I start to turn in and suddenly I'm blasting past the apex at mach 3.

The calculated FOV for my setup is 75, and that's what I ran in PC1 with the exception of open-wheelers where I would cheat up to 80 or 85 to get both mirrors in view. In PC2 I've tried from 70 to 90 in five degree increments and just can't get that natural, intuitive feeling like PC1. I guess PC1 in general does a better job of fooling my eyes and brain into thinking I'm looking through an actual windshield, and to my eyes looks cleaner and smoother than PC2.

Mmahockey
26-10-2017, 17:28
Increase the FOV and move the seat forward.

neefoo
02-11-2017, 05:06
Going back and forth between PC1 and PC2 using the same FOV, shake, and movement settings definitely highlights this issue for me. It's not just that it feels slower, it just doesn't feel as natural or intuitive as the first game. First corner at Monza, hard on the binders, getting the speed and turn-in just right FELT natural and (after about 69,000 laps at Monza since that's all anyone runs online) I can put the right front wheel exactly where I want it 9/10 times in PC1. In PC2, same settings, same corner, everything feels and looks good until I start to turn in and suddenly I'm blasting past the apex at mach 3.

The calculated FOV for my setup is 75, and that's what I ran in PC1 with the exception of open-wheelers where I would cheat up to 80 or 85 to get both mirrors in view. In PC2 I've tried from 70 to 90 in five degree increments and just can't get that natural, intuitive feeling like PC1. I guess PC1 in general does a better job of fooling my eyes and brain into thinking I'm looking through an actual windshield, and to my eyes looks cleaner and smoother than PC2.

How do you calculate that? We have an 55" TV on a distance around 2.8 meters. Which static settings is best for me?

Any other suggestions to gain more sense of speed?

Olijke Poffer
02-11-2017, 06:58
How do you calculate that? We have an 55" TV on a distance around 2.8 meters. Which static settings is best for me?

Any other suggestions to gain more sense of speed?

Should be somewhere around the 58. I have it set to 58 and my screen is a 55inch screen as well. Only my eyes are 1.5mtr from the screen. So your FOV should set a little bit higher.
You could take a look here,
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

Zaskarspants
05-11-2017, 12:50
I use this to calculate FOV.

http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de

I use the measure monitor option, it uses the monitors horizontal width.

I find it is important to have a good amount or car movement ( low world movement setting, 50 or less) when using cockpit view if you want a good simulation of speed.

As for fov, for me there is no debate, it should be set as the calculator suggests. Many aspects of a moving car, such as speed, depend on fooling your brain, and I think that to do that the screen should reflect reality, correct fov gives you that.

My fov is about 60 and with some world movement I find the game scary fast in it's recreation of a sense of speed.

Olijke Poffer
05-11-2017, 13:20
Same over here..

Gav88888
23-11-2017, 09:20
I use this to calculate FOV.

http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de

I use the measure monitor option, it uses the monitors horizontal width.

I find it is important to have a good amount or car movement ( low world movement setting, 50 or less) when using cockpit view if you want a good simulation of speed.

As for fov, for me there is no debate, it should be set as the calculator suggests. Many aspects of a moving car, such as speed, depend on fooling your brain, and I think that to do that the screen should reflect reality, correct fov gives you that.

My fov is about 60 and with some world movement I find the game scary fast in it's recreation of a sense of speed.

I used the same website and my FOV is 37 for the size of TV (47") and distance (1.4m) and setting it that it looks nice and big, but its way too zoomed in to make it drivable, so I have mine set to 70 which gives a good sense of speed plus things look to scale for the distance/TV, although not mathematically realistic. Moving the TV forward just isn't an option unfortunately.

inthebagbud
02-12-2017, 16:18
How is it possible that you have a sense of speed in AC and in Pcars with the same FOV you don’t... shoot me.
I also have low FOV, 58 and the sense of speed is a lot less compared to a FOV of 70. But I drive better with the lower FOV.

I cant answer your question but can confirm that on xboxonex the sense of speed in AC is markedly faster at same FOV than Pcars2.

WellRED Barron
04-12-2017, 01:45
FOV is key to immersive simulation. But it really is for those of us who sit right up next to the monitor with our wheels. It emulates the view we would have over the dashboard.

I know most of us already know this....

If you don’t sit “In” the car, FOV is less important and you should play with whatever settings feel comfortable.

Also, if you can get used to it, the Look to Apex option in the helmet cam can help you get a better sense of cornering speed.

But if you can’t find a way to get yourself “In” the car, proper FOV only serves to make you feel slower. It can also throw you off if you play with a controller instead of a wheel.

MadMax1998
04-12-2017, 13:49
This problem with sense of speed is consistent in PC2; I've reported it before since it's also pretty apparent in VR, where FOV is not an issue since it's fixed and cannot be changed. I think it's a camera problem; either the focal length is off or it's something else, but it sure as hell is not the FOV.

My thread is here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52376-Sense-of-speed-distance-in-VR-is-wrong-on-Oculus-Rift), with some good comments by people on the issue.

Bealdor
04-12-2017, 14:28
I cant answer your question but can confirm that on xboxonex the sense of speed in AC is markedly faster at same FOV than Pcars2.

AC uses vertical FOV while PCARS 2 uses horizontal FOV.
If you want to compare those settings you'll have to multiply the PCARS 2 value by you monitor ratio.

Example: 16:9 screen
AC vFOV: 30

matching PCARS 2 hFOV = 30 x 16 / 9 ~ 53