PDA

View Full Version : Crowd-funding individual circuit licences for the more expensive ones? i.e. Suzuka

foolinjection
05-10-2017, 17:03
I read on here the main reason that the likes of the Suzuka circuit wasn't included in the pCARS 2 game was that it cost a bucket load to licence and SMS just weren't prepared to pay for it as the money could be better spent elsewhere. No brainer, totally understand. Why shell out for 1 track when you could potentially get 2 or 3 others for the same money.

Now, it's to my understanding that pCARS is where it is through crowd-funding but I was thinking what if the really expensive licences for circuits, like Suzuka, were also crowd-funded individually?
Pinball Arcade does this for the movie licensed pinball tables which have high licence fees. They announce they want to pursue the licence to say "The Addams Family" table and then people who want to see it in the game back it until it reaches it's goal, gets the green light, gets added to the game, backers get table on release and everyone else gets to buy it as a regular DLC.

Granted I have literally no idea the amount of money required for a circuit licence for inclusion in a video game; I'm sure it's way more than a movie tie-in pinball table and obviously a lot less work to add into a game than a Grand Prix circuit would be in a race-sim. But does anyone think that this model would work for pCARS? Or with pCARS being crowd-funded in nature as it is, maybe too much to ask people to chip in a bit more again for one track?

Anyway, just a thought that came to mind with the recent chat about real vs fictional tracks and why Saikito is in the game over Suzuka etc. Thinking aloud basically.

Aldo Zampatti
05-10-2017, 17:08
Might be better, if SMS wants to make the investment/risk, to sell it as DLC. Crowdfunding is a mess to set up and takes a lot of legal fees to prepare.

dault3883
05-10-2017, 17:26
i think this idea has some merit if i recall Sebring was passed up for the same reason Suzuka was and i would love to see sebring would even be willing to fork up some money myself but it would depend on how much i would have to fork up after all i have to meet a monthly budget my self

Tbolt
05-10-2017, 17:30
Might be better, if SMS wants to make the investment/risk, to sell it as DLC. Crowdfunding is a mess to set up and takes a lot of legal fees to prepare.

But that's the problem selling it as a DLC, it would be a risk.The good think with crowd funding is if you don't get the money you haven't lost anything. But I realise it might not be the easiest thing to do.

Personally if they are asking silly money for the license I would rather not give them anything and spend the money on 2 or 3 other tracks, but I guess if enough people want it.

Mahjik
05-10-2017, 18:53
i think this idea has some merit if i recall Sebring was passed up for the same reason Suzuka was and i would love to see sebring would even be willing to fork up some money myself but it would depend on how much i would have to fork up after all i have to meet a monthly budget my self

No one but SMS knows the decisions behind licensing (not even WMD2 and SMS have never publicly commented in that space).

dault3883
05-10-2017, 19:02
No one but SMS knows the decisions behind licensing (not even WMD2 and SMS have never publicly commented in that space).

i said it had merit Mahjik not that it was fees-ably possible just that i thought it was a fair idea

Ixoye56
05-10-2017, 19:05
Make my dream come true and give me Isle of Man....

Mahjik
05-10-2017, 19:08
if i recall Sebring was passed up for the same reason Suzuka

i said it had merit Mahjik not that it was fees-ably possible just that i thought it was a fair idea

I'm referring to that part of the comment, not whether or not the idea has merit. No one knows why we do or do not have certain tracks other than SMS.

foolinjection
05-10-2017, 19:11
I'm referring to that part of the comment, not whether or not the idea has merit. No one know why we do or do not have certain tracks other than SMS.

While I appreciate what you are saying... I was basing my assumption it was the fee as to the reason it was not included from this post by the Moderator Roger Prynne in the thread about fictional tracks.

I think Suzuka was actually the most expensive of all the tracks according to Ian and he was not willing to pay the extortionate prices.

Mahjik
05-10-2017, 19:13
While I appreciate what you are saying... I was basing my assumption it was the fee as to the reason it was not included from this post by the Moderator Roger Prynne in the thread about fictional tracks.

All we really know is that SMS couldn't negotiate the usage of the track. We have no idea if that was due to money or other requirements. No one has that insight other than SMS.

Roger Prynne
05-10-2017, 19:17
Also for your information foolinjection, pCARS1 was crowd-funded but pCARS2 was not, people paid money to be involved in the development and get an insight to how it all worked.

Also Mahjik, Ian did say publicly that he would not pay the price that they were asking for Suzuka

foolinjection
05-10-2017, 19:27
Also for your information foolinjection, pCARS1 was crowd-funded but pCARS2 was not, people paid money to be involved in the development and get an insight to how it all worked.

Also Mahjik, Ian did say publicly that he would not pay the price that they were asking for Suzuka

Ah right, that I didn't realise. I had wrongly assumed that pCARS2 was created in the same fashion as the first one.

I'm not trying to stir something with this thread, by the way. I just thought if the fee was the reasoning that there might be merit in adopting a system similar to that employed by the dev's doing Pinball Arcade.

Roger Prynne
05-10-2017, 19:37
We realize that you are not trying to stir things up and we appreciate the thoughts.
It's just that it's not as simple as that, (it's a bloody minefield to be honest)

Mahjik
05-10-2017, 19:39

I think the key is we don't know all the details of the negotiations so I'm not sure it's in our place to repeat something which may not provide the full context.

Pisshead30
05-10-2017, 21:41
Make my dream come true and give me Isle of Man....

Surely somebody somewhere is going to put this track in a car racing.
Cant wait for the TT bike racing game next year

Benkid
05-10-2017, 22:01
I heard somewhere that the licensing for Suzuka was the same as the Nurburgring ��

fuschs
05-10-2017, 22:37
I heard somewhere that the licensing for Suzuka was the same as the Nurburgring ��

What's the point of this post? You're not sure of it, can't post the source so it's basically useless.

To come back to the topic, I'm not sure people in general would want to crowdfund such a thing. I mean, you get new track with every DLC. I'd expect them to use money from the DLC, pre-orders bonuses, sales, etc. than ask for more.
It's a shame that we miss out on the tracks mentioned in the previous posts. There surely are reasons but it's clearly something they can come up with in the future. Sebring would be awesome.

Alan Dallas
06-10-2017, 00:19
I'm not sure about crowd funding. You'd need to raise the money for both the license and any development costs.
I will say though, had I the extra cash I'd give it away(not an investment, a gift) to SMS to add the tracks I want to see in pCARS.

dault3883
06-10-2017, 04:43
I'm not sure about crowd funding. You'd need to raise the money for both the license and any development costs.
I will say though, had I the extra cash I'd give it away(not an investment, a gift) to SMS to add the tracks I want to see in pCARS.

thats real generous of you but i think they were refering only to the licensing for the crowd funding