PDA

View Full Version : App Request: Tuning Setups Manager for PC

satco1066
06-10-2017, 10:06
my coding knowledge is to weak. :(

What i'm thinking of is a manager, that translates the cryptic filenames in tuningsetups folder for easy sharing and managing of setups stored here.

SenorPez
06-10-2017, 14:00
What would be awesome is if we could get a file specification for the saved tuning files. That way you could have an out-of-game browser for setups... you could even make a sharing website out of it, where PC players could review and download setups, and console players could just copy the displayed values into their game.

satco1066
07-10-2017, 22:26
i dont think they'll give it to public.
But if you look at that table, you see its seems to be a simple system for the filenames.
And much hand work to decode ;)

In view of the data inside the file, imho that should not be decoded.
If it is decoded, there is also the possibility to hack and inject settings, that are not possible with gui. Thats cheating. Don't !!!!!

SenorPez
09-10-2017, 14:16
i dont think they'll give it to public.
But if you look at that table, you see its seems to be a simple system for the filenames.
And much hand work to decode ;)

In view of the data inside the file, imho that should not be decoded.
If it is decoded, there is also the possibility to hack and inject settings, that are not possible with gui. Thats cheating. Don't !!!!!

Now that... is very interesting, and filtering by filename is better than nothing.

The devil's advocate in me would say that if PCARS2 isn't validating setup input data, that's their own problem, but I understand your concern about the potential for mischief. It's the same theory as to why we don't talk about decoding BFF (or whatever they're called) car file... too easy to create 2000 HP monsters with limitless grip. :)

Ensi Ferrum
13-10-2017, 11:00
Now that... is very interesting, and filtering by filename is better than nothing.

The devil's advocate in me would say that if PCARS2 isn't validating setup input data, that's their own problem, but I understand your concern about the potential for mischief. It's the same theory as to why we don't talk about decoding BFF (or whatever they're called) car file... too easy to create 2000 HP monsters with limitless grip. :)

That's my opinion either.
Easiest approach would have been to put all cars settings with min, max value in an encrypted database and store the individual player setups in a human readable format, *.xml, or *.json.
Instead we have to tinker with these slightly mad filenames and encrypted setup files ....

satco1066
13-10-2017, 13:57
I don't now the design descission. Maybe forced by restrictions from ESL.
Maybe not. Whatever.