PDA

View Full Version : Immersive rear view

oliie
06-10-2017, 21:28
It's a simple thing I'm asking for. Instead of having a rear view that only shows you whatever is behind your car, it could instead look like this 242074

I think it wouldn't be much of an issue to do it, and to make it an option under the camera settings.

Would be even better if it carried over to the rear view mirror but I imagine that could actually be much harder to implement.

Ossnott
06-10-2017, 21:34
This is a nice touch in the mirrors in iRacing and AMS (Might be in Live For Speed as well, don't remember), but the problem is that it's not really useful, it obstructing the rear view.

Would be nice as an extra immersive cockpit option though.

dault3883
06-10-2017, 21:44
This is a nice touch in the mirrors in iRacing and AMS (Might be in Live For Speed as well, don't remember), but the problem is that it's not really useful, it obstructing the rear view.

Would be nice as an extra immersive cockpit option though.

AMS? Live for speed?

Zeem
06-10-2017, 21:50
I kinda agree that it would be cool, but at the same time, do race drivers even really physically look behind them? I'd have thought they'd rely mainly on their mirrors, which the current rear-view presumably zooms for us.

dault3883
06-10-2017, 21:52
I kinda agree that it would be cool, but at the same time, do race drivers even really physically look behind them? I'd have thought they'd rely mainly on their mirrors, which the current rear-view presumably zooms for us.

correct or in the case of the Corvette Racing Team they have rear view monitors so yea while its cool its not really true simulation

Ossnott
06-10-2017, 22:01
AMS? Live for speed?

Automobilista

https://youtu.be/RHy2txb4L5o

Live For Speed

https://youtu.be/wKBNfJFNkUY

dault3883
06-10-2017, 22:13
Automobilista

https://youtu.be/RHy2txb4L5o

Live For Speed

https://youtu.be/wKBNfJFNkUY

iv never heard of Live for speed is it a new game?

oliie
06-10-2017, 22:25

Does that even matter? We already have the rear view ability so why not just move the camera slightly and make it optional? Just like the helmet cam and stuff?

Ossnott
06-10-2017, 22:55
iv never heard of Live for speed is it a new game?

No, I think it came out in the early 2000. :)

Alan Dallas
07-10-2017, 00:30
It'll never happen. Why? Performance reasons. The review mirror is another View Port into the world. Things in that view port need to be rendered, rendering the interior of your car in the opposite way your facing is wasted processor time(when your in cockpit or helmet cam the rear of your car is not rendered). It would have to draw a full scene.

Mahjik
07-10-2017, 01:49
There was actually requested and discussed about during WMD2. I doubt we'll see something like this for PC2, but WMD2 members did ask.

nhitrac
07-10-2017, 04:22
I wouldn’t mind seeing body parts in the side mirrors/rear view like how F1 2017 does it. Adds a nice sense of immersion.

Zeem
07-10-2017, 05:15
It'll never happen. Why? Performance reasons. The review mirror is another View Port into the world. Things in that view port need to be rendered, rendering the interior of your car in the opposite way your facing is wasted processor time(when your in cockpit or helmet cam the rear of your car is not rendered). It would have to draw a full scene.

Appreciate the insight, that does make sense.

oliie
07-10-2017, 08:22

Okay, I assumed the mirror thing wouldn't happen but that said I still can't see why can't it we have the in-cockpit rear view when pressing a "look back" button. Many of us have relatively powerful machines that can easily handle another rendering. Besides, the way camera works in most games (I assume here does as well) is that it doesn't render the whole 360 degrees but only what is in your immediate FOV, so if you look back it will render the rear of your car while not rendering the front. Zero performance loss.

Especially if you make it totally optional. Like enhanced mirrors and grass and other bs eyecandy that murders performance unless you have a good machine.