PDA

View Full Version : Wet tires much better than slicks on Porsche 935/80?

Blazingly Slow
08-10-2017, 18:37
So, I started Rennsport Revival European Championship (Career mode) and picked up Porsche 935/80. Immediately I found, that this car is incredibly hard to drive even with soft slicks. It would'nt be such a surprise considering that it has 750hp, but AI seems to have absolutely no problem. They appear to have way too much grip even on 80/75 difficulty. One example: when braking at the end of long straight at SPA I must brake at 200m, when AI has no problem braking at ~100m. In short, AI was pretty much unbeatable. Although in other disciplines, like Clio CUP, I was first.
I did some testing at Hockenhiem GP (Dry of course) and here are the results:
with Hard Slicks I completed a lap in 1:50,3
with Soft Slicks I completed a lap in 1:45,4
with Wets I completed a lap in 1:43,5
These are not the best laps I could do, but they are still representative of my point. With Wets I got P1 on 80/75 difficulty, while with Hard Slicks I was last.

I think I have experienced something similar in Ginetta GT5, but I somehow managed to finish it.

Maybe someone experienced something similar? And if these findings are correct, how many other cars there are in the game which have incorrect grip?

Stephen220378
08-10-2017, 18:42
Same for Formula Rookie and Renault Clio Cup. The wets seem to act like slicks in the dry and the slicks act like wets in the dry. Can only assume it's a bug with some cars as most I've drove are absolutely fine.

TSquarest
08-10-2017, 20:34
I am not sure whether the slicks acts like wets in the dry. Those cars are just very hard to handle. At least I hope not because I like a challenge.

With wets it's not fun anymore and more like Need for Speed. You can't do anything wrong.

Blazingly Slow
08-10-2017, 20:45
I am not sure whether the slicks acts like wets in the dry. Those cars are just very hard to handle. At least I hope not because I like a challenge.

With wets it's not fun anymore and more like Need for Speed. You can't do anything wrong.

Hmm, I find that with less grippy tires (in this case slicks), car looses traction faster, but it is also easier to recover. On the other hand, with more grippy tires (in this case wets) it is much harder to recover when they lose traction. If you like sliding around, try all-terrain tires, with those it is almost impossible to maintain car in a straight line. :D

Tar Heel
08-10-2017, 20:59
I noticed this on Road America yesterday. I couldn't keep traction in the dry with the softs on a cold track and the tire pressures at their lowest and only managed a 2:15 in practice. It was raining for qualifying so I put the wets on went a 2:13 and the car was way more responsive and controllable.

For the second race at Sonoma I noticed the car did not want to turn with hard slicks until they were up to temperature which took 4-5 laps. Best time I managed was a 1:35.8, but the car felt very skiddish and the brakes locked up extremely easy. I did not try the wets, but seeing this post will make me try the west in dry conditions to see if the grip feels better than the slicks.