PDA

View Full Version : Pit Strategy in real time

Flins
09-10-2017, 10:20
Hi,

I did a race with 4 random weathers, and i realized that it's not easy to change tyres, fuel etc...
Indeed, weather forcast was sunny day, and after 5 laps, it started raining. It was a big mess to change tyres.
When i succeeded, they also refueled me, and i lost a lot of time.

Regarding PC1 it was more easy as the choise was done when entering the pit lane.

I tried GT Sport this morning, and it's not so good, but Pit strategy is fantastic. all is in real time. tyres, refueling and reparing...
Instead of doing Nothing in the pit, it will be great to have that kind of system in PC2.

GT S pit stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fa5-i9kiOY

Zenzic
09-10-2017, 10:27
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Am I correct in assuming GT Sport only lets you change/select/confirm what you want done during the pit stop once you've entered the pit lane? In my opinion PCars 2 does this far better. You get to choose tires, refueling and repairs before entering the pits, which means you don't lose valuable time. I can't imagine real life teams only start thinking about what to do once the car is stationary.

major sunscreen
09-10-2017, 10:33
I made some custom pit stops E.G. wet to get, dry to wet where the only thing happening was a tyre change, also splash and dash where fuel was the only thing etc etc works quite well..

Flins
09-10-2017, 10:35
You understood well, and sorry my English :)
In PC2 it's very difficult since PC1 let you choose when entering the pit lane (more easy in automatic entered).
The Current sustem in PC2 is too heavy to control.

AbeWoz
09-10-2017, 10:36
Hi,

I did a race with 4 random weathers, and i realized that it's not easy to change tyres, fuel etc...
Indeed, weather forcast was sunny day, and after 5 laps, it started raining. It was a big mess to change tyres.
When i succeeded, they also refueled me, and i lost a lot of time.

Regarding PC1 it was more easy as the choise was done when entering the pit lane.

I tried GT Sport this morning, and it's not so good, but Pit strategy is fantastic. all is in real time. tyres, refueling and reparing...
Instead of doing Nothing in the pit, it will be great to have that kind of system in PC2.

GT S pit stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fa5-i9kiOY

you can set up multiple pit-strategies before the race starts and you can select them on-the-fly with the ICM. and IMO the PC2 method is much much better and far more realistic.

Flins
09-10-2017, 10:40
you can set up multiple pit-strategies before the race starts and you can select them on-the-fly with the ICM. and IMO the PC2 method is much much better and far more realistic.

Maybe you are right, but there is no flexibility.
I mean, during a race, on Ps4, it s not easy to choose when going fast on the track !

Maybe you will only need to refuel ,or only change tires etc...

it means that you have to save 20 strategy before starting the race :(

major sunscreen
09-10-2017, 10:55
Maybe you are right, but there is no flexibility.
I mean, during a race, on Ps4, it s not easy to choose when going fast on the track !

Maybe you will only need to refuel ,or only change tires etc...

it means that you have to save 20 strategy before starting the race :(

Slight exaggeration there. I have 4 that cover all I need.

Flins
09-10-2017, 11:25
Slight exaggeration there. I have 4 that cover all I need.

You have 4 that cover all YOU need ! Don't make your case a generality !!!

PC1 System was better cause !

@ianbell Do you think it will be possible to add previous system's from PC1 pit strategy ? and to let the choise to player to choose between PC1 system or PC2 system ?

major sunscreen
09-10-2017, 11:30

@ianbell Do you think it will be possible to add previous system's from PC1 pit strategy ? and to let the choise to player to choose between PC1 system or PC2 system ?

Yup.
Wets to Dry No Fuel
Dry to Wets No Fuel
Fuel Only Stop
Like for Like Tyre Swap.

Obviously if I crash and damage then default looks after everything but it's race over anyway.

Loving the outrage ;)
Enjoy. :)

AbeWoz
09-10-2017, 12:10

if you turn off manual pitstops (AI Control in pit lane) then you have more time to adjust your strategy via ICM.

Flins
09-10-2017, 13:36
if you turn off manual pitstops (AI Control in pit lane) then you have more time to adjust your strategy via ICM.

Yeah, thanks for the tip, i did it.

But my concern, is also about the flexibility. The current system on PC2 is sympathic but not flexible. PC1 System was better.
Sometimes, you have to refuel only.
Sometimes, you have to repair aerodynamism only or Gearbox, or Engine.
Sometimes, you need to change tires, Slick Hard/Medium/Soft. what you want !
Sometimes you need to change tires and repair only breaks.

How many setting you have to save ?

AI is not able to define if you need to repair only one thing that is damaged.
As i understood, when you stop to the pit with default setting for example (Fuel+complete repairs+tires change), it will take as much time if your car is damage or not !

DreamsKnight
09-10-2017, 13:58
i think you don't know there is a menu where you can adjust everything on the fly, from fuel to tyresm to select strategies. and of course you can also prepare the strategies before the race. there is everything and works good.

learn to use them, pretty intuitive i had to say, instead to search something else.

Flins
09-10-2017, 14:02
i think you don't know there is a menu where you can adjust everything on the fly, from fuel to tyresm to select strategies. and of course you can also prepare the strategies before the race. there is everything and works good.

learn to use them, pretty intuitive i had to say, instead to search something else.

I know that, but game should be put in pause mode to have time to select what you need to do !! (Like PC1 system)
You are playing on PC
On consoles, it s very difficult to manage !

DreamsKnight
09-10-2017, 14:14
use straights to prepare or change it, exactly like in real life. if you want to change things entering the box at the last time...

ELAhrairah
09-10-2017, 14:14
I know that, but game should be put in pause mode to have time to select what you need to do !! (Like PC1 system)
You are playing on PC
On consoles, it s very difficult to manage !

Ok I get that. You are right that in Pcars1 during entering pitlane you could do stuff and hit ok and the game would continue with what you selected. This always gave me time to get a new beer or take a toilet break ;)

In Pcars2 I believe it is more realistic with an option to make it a bit easier for yourself by preselecting pit strategies and appointing a hotkey on your wheel or controller to select it.

But as an ex-console guy I understand your struggle because you don’t have many buttons to start with and once you set up a system in the assign buttons menu you basically have to drive fast while making all kinds of selections by fiddeling with your controller.

I like this new system. It is more realistic. But I wonder if it would take a lot of reprogramming to make it possible to have the option to change stuff while the game is in pause mode. I wouldn’t mind if they could do this.

But I must say that at the moment there are far more important real bugs to be repared. (No disrespect ment)

hkraft300
09-10-2017, 14:32
Sometimes, you have to refuel only.

1. Fuel only.
Splash and dash. Adjust fuel level as necessary, or set fuel before race.

Sometimes, you have to repair aerodynamism only or Gearbox, or Engine.

2. Repair all / stop-go.
If there is no damage, there is no repair done.

Sometimes, you need to change tires, Slick Hard/Medium/Soft.
Sometimes you need to change tires and repair only breaks.

3. tires dry
For soft/medium/hard slicks. Adjust as/if needed.
Repair all. All damage repaired. No damage = no repair.

How many setting you have to save ?

4. Rain.
Wet tire strategy iF you're using special/ different tire pressure from slicks.

So to answer your question, you could do with minimum 3 or 4 strategies.

jenslaursen89
15-10-2017, 17:43
Can someone tell me how to change pit strategy during a race?? Because I dont think I have that option???

AbeWoz
15-10-2017, 19:54
Can someone tell me how to change pit strategy during a race?? Because I dont think I have that option???

you have to assign controls to the ICM (in-car management) and you can adjust strategies from there.

Kipper Rickshaw
15-10-2017, 22:38
Yup.
Wets to Dry No Fuel
Dry to Wets No Fuel
Fuel Only Stop
Like for Like Tyre Swap.

That doesn't cover everything, especially in longer races where you're stopping for tires and fuel and you have to make unscheduled pit stops.

If there was an "automatic by weather" change tire option I would need a lot less pit strategies.

Example:

A long race where I have 1 scheduled pit stop for tires and fuel. Since we don't have a generic "change tires by weather" option. I need 2 pit stop strategies ready, "wet with fuel" and "dry with fuel". If it starts dry, but starts raining before my scheduled pit stop, I need a "wets only no fuel". If it starts our raining, but drys up before my scheduled stop, I need a "dry only no fuel".

That's 4 pits stop strategies that could be covered by just 2 if there was "automatic by weather" tire option. I'm currently up to 7 pit stop strategies.

maxx69
15-10-2017, 23:02
use straights to prepare or change it, exactly like in real life. if you want to change things entering the box at the last time...

Real life you wouldn't faff about with tricky pit stop menus on the straights , you'd have a race engineer to advise and prepare using a radio .
Using the straights is great (as long as you don't crash in the process) if the track has long straights....not so great at oulton park or knock hill etc .
I agree GTS has a pretty good system and no time is lost in menu screens , very simplistic.
Pcars has a lot more going on with damage etc and it isn't easy to allow for every instance.
It is pretty complicated .....but so is the game and the level of adjustment is what we all asked for .
Think we all just need to get used to it , deal with some of the issues , have a few crashes trying to look at the little box while racing :/
Not really sure how else they could give us that amount of adjustment without a dodgy voice recognition system .

It's complicated but if it works (pcars 1 -angry face) as it should , I ain't gonna complain that loud

MaXyM
15-10-2017, 23:27
Is it possible to setup strategy to change tires to the same type? I saw explicit chose hard/soft. But not the 'same'.