PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Lakiboom
09-10-2017, 11:21
Ok, first of all i'm not a pro racer and I've never tried a car with slick tires in real life. But I've got a question.

For me it's comfortable to drive GT3 cars. Dry track, soft slicks, two laps and tires are ready (light green). I feel the car and don't afraid to go fast. But then I chose Mercedes A TCC (FWD car, slick tires, Brands Hatch). After 5 laps rear tires are still cold!!! Ok, go to tune. Low rear pressure to min, raise rear aero downforce, set camber from -4 to -2(min). 5 laps again and no effect. Rear tires are cold and I've got oversteer at turns on FWD car :confused:. My friends who play iRacing said that PCars1 had such problems with tires model (especially with FWD) so the PCars2 too? TCC is harder to control than GT3?

Is it me doing smth wrong, need more practice or this is problem with tires model? I always thought that it is enough to go one lap to warm tires but seems it is not in PCars2.

dominiczeth
09-10-2017, 11:27
It's not so easy to get Temperature in the Rear Tires in Touring Cars. Because FWD. The Fronttires have the most work to do. To get the Rear Tires warm you have to push really hard and on the edge to oversteering.

cjhill44
09-10-2017, 11:31
On a green track in practice it can take a few laps to heat the tyres up in any car.

The rears on FWD cars will take longer to heat up. In BTCC qualifying sessions you will see the FWD cars do 1 lap then come in to cross their tyres over, swapping the fronts to the rear because it is quicker to build up tyre temps this way than do 4 or 5 laps just to get the rear tyres up to the optimum operating temperature.

In a race you will find yourself on the grid with tyres at good operating temperature.

DarrenM
09-10-2017, 11:33
The slicks are broken in some cars. In the Formula C it's faster to use wets in dry weather. The car handles significantly better as well.

Lakiboom
09-10-2017, 11:34
On a green track in practice it can take a few laps to heat the tyres up in any car.

The rears on FWD cars will take longer to heat up. In BTCC qualifying sessions you will see the FWD cars do 1 lap then come in to cross their tyres over, swapping the fronts to the rear because it is quicker to build up tyre temps this way than do 4 or 5 laps just to get the rear tyres up to the optimum operating temperature.

In a race you will find yourself on the grid with tyres at good operating temperature.

Interesting thing, but we can not to do it in game :)

dominiczeth
09-10-2017, 11:35
That's not because Slicks are broken. The Rain Tires are broken and too good.

AbeWoz
09-10-2017, 12:12
Ok, first of all i'm not a pro racer and I've never tried a car with slick tires in real life. But I've got a question.

For me it's comfortable to drive GT3 cars. Dry track, soft slicks, two laps and tires are ready (light green). I feel the car and don't afraid to go fast. But then I chose Mercedes A TCC (FWD car, slick tires, Brands Hatch). After 5 laps rear tires are still cold!!! Ok, go to tune. Low rear pressure to min, raise rear aero downforce, set camber from -4 to -2(min). 5 laps again and no effect. Rear tires are cold and I've got oversteer at turns on FWD car :confused:. My friends who play iRacing said that PCars1 had such problems with tires model (especially with FWD) so the PCars2 too? TCC is harder to control than GT3?

Is it me doing smth wrong, need more practice or this is problem with tires model? I always thought that it is enough to go one lap to warm tires but seems it is not in PCars2.

lowering pressure builds heat at a slower rate, so its better for longer runs (endurance races). Raise the rear pressures to have build heat quicker. It will slowly lose heat over time but for short races it will be better.

SharpEyez
09-10-2017, 12:32

Is this info acknowledged and confirmed by the devs? Or pure speculation?

BD992000
09-10-2017, 13:03
I can't believe that.
Slicks on the Formula Rookie for example feel like permanent aquaplaning or driving on a very slippery surface. It feels more like sliding rather than driving. The wets give a very good road feeling.
For sure the wets are somehow broken, too. Since they operate quite good on dry and very warm tracks without overheating. But the slicks cannot be realistic like they are implemented now.

I think that on several cars the tyre model for both slicks and wets are not balanced and something seems to be wrong with the heat management.
The most disgusting thing about that is, that these issues do not concern the AI.

This seems to be known by the devs an they hopefully will fix it soon.

major sunscreen
09-10-2017, 13:06
I can't believe that.
Slicks on the Formula Rookie for example feel like permanent aquaplaning or driving on a very slippery surface. It feels more like sliding rather than driving. The wets give a very good road feeling.
For sure the wets are somehow broken, too. Since they operate quite good on dry and very warm tracks without overheating. But the slicks cannot be realistic like they are implemented now.

I think that on several cars the tyre model for both slicks and wets are not balanced and something seems to be wrong with the heat management.
The most disgusting thing about that is, that these issues do not concern the AI.

No issues on slicks in formula rookie for me aside from they get to about 70 degrees and thats it so running sub optimal. the default setup is rubbish. Once setup properly slicks are fine except for the heat issue.wets conversely dont cook in the dry.

cjhill44
09-10-2017, 13:51
I can't believe that.

I wouldn't expect them to have that much grip, they have no aero! The old Formula Fords (or Formula Rookie as we know it in PCars2) are the next step up from karts and are designed to teach drivers the art of car control.

BD992000
09-10-2017, 14:58
If thats all true and the FR cars are OK with the slicks as they are now, the question is: why can AI pilots navigate them on rails when human pilots always struggle ....

Fact is: slicks dont heat up properly. I have not seen temps above 60C, even at Algarve dry and warm. Wets donbt heat up .... but are drivable at any temp.
So there is obviously something wrong with FR tyre models.
AI is always running on rails. When you turn down their skill, they only break earlier and drive slower on straights but they drive perfectly through corners ...... so their tyre model is obviously different and far superiour.

To be hones: I hav a lot of fun driving the FR cars, but it is somewhat difficult to judge, if I'm a lousy driver or the AI is unbalanced .....
That makes progression in the career a little bit .... tiring.

I hope they fix the inconsistencies with the tyres and also with the AI performance.

hkraft300
09-10-2017, 15:01
AI is always running on rails. When you turn down their skill, they only break earlier and drive slower on straights but they drive perfectly through corners ...... so their tyre model is obviously different and far superiour.

The AI run a simple tire model.

BD992000
09-10-2017, 15:09
The AI run a simple tire model.

I know, but I hope they will tweak it, so they struggle more from bad conditions and difficult corners ...

hkraft300
09-10-2017, 15:22
Until then:
Reduce AI difficulty.

dominiczeth
18-10-2017, 17:56
Is this info acknowledged and confirmed by the devs? Or pure speculation?

Bit late but it's discussed in WMD Forum. And no it's not a speculation. You can do faster or equal times with Raintires in Dry Conditions.

iggy
24-10-2017, 15:48
Seems no one can agree if tires ( slicks vs wet vs sport ) are broken or not... I personally lean towards them being broken. Just isn't right that a slick feels like it's made of rock, rather then rubber, and wets feel like slicks only spongy and don't heat up that much or that quickly on dry tracks.

Keena
24-10-2017, 15:58

Disagree. Do a timetrial in formula C (ideal conditions). Slicks cannot maintain temp. Don't take my word for it- give it a try

Keena
24-10-2017, 16:01
Seems no one can agree if tires ( slicks vs wet vs sport ) are broken or not... I personally lean towards them being broken. Just isn't right that a slick feels like it's made of rock, rather then rubber, and wets feel like slicks only spongy and don't heat up that much or that quickly on dry tracks.

Name and texture swap coming up ;)