PDA

View Full Version : Crackling Sound

nhitrac
09-10-2017, 11:54
Playing 100% on headphones per my sig and some cars have really bad crackling sounds. Almost like a dodgy analog volume knob being turned... e.g. the 488 GT3 is unbearably bad.

Cars with a deeper lower frequency doesn't have this problem e.g. the Corvette GTE.

Music, YouTube, other games such as F1 2017 are perfectly fine even at loud volumes.

Anyone else?

AbeWoz
09-10-2017, 12:05
is the sound always present or only at certain speeds/RPMs? It could be traction control kicking in.

drizzit
09-10-2017, 12:45
Try toggling the Headphone Mix setting under Audio options if you havent. I havent had any problems with crackling sound with my headphones but this setting made the car sounds noticeably better for me.

• Enable Headphone Mix
This mode works if your audio output device is configured to stereo, switching to On will give a headphone optimised audio mix.

TerminatorGR
09-10-2017, 13:09
I have this problem too and I play on TV.

Janneman60
09-10-2017, 13:57
I had this to. But a few days ago the sounds got much better and no idea why. Didn't change anything.

nhitrac
09-10-2017, 19:36
Thanks guys.

Definitely not the TC. I know what that sounds like as I turned it 'off' by changing it to zero before realising that's on max lol.

Have also ayed with my audio mix on the pro amp as well as switching on headphone mix in the menu. It did make the sound better but also made the crackling noise more prominent.

As mentioned, some cars don't have it at all. Some are just down right bad.

Best way to explain it is think blasting your car stereo above the speakers max volumne. Everything becomes distorted and muddy.

Leads me to think that this is a pcars2 problem as the same headphones are fine for other games, music etc.

Did a quick search and seems like pcars1 had this issue for some too though not myself.

Devs? Has this been reported?

Roger Prynne
09-10-2017, 19:38
It has now.

whip
09-10-2017, 19:40
bmw gt cars when tc kicks in is particularly bad for it

z3r0cool77
09-10-2017, 20:04
Are you talking about gravel/debri noise? It happens particularly if you put a tire off track and if you are behind another car.

Fight-Test
09-10-2017, 20:33
I have a usb audio mixer and I use headphones and I get a nasty static pop high in rpm when shifting on the bmw gt3 and gte like poster above mentioned. It wasn't there on the touring bmw 320. Also not there on any other gt3 or gte. Just the 2 bmw m6s

nhitrac
09-10-2017, 22:28
Thanks all.

And no definitely not in-game sound e.g. TC or gravel noise.

This is distorted crackling static noise. Like the speakers can't handle the frequency.

Initially I thought it was my headphones but as mentioned, music, movies, YouTube and other games are perfectly fine. And it doesn't happen with all cars in pcars2.

Might try to record some audio later tonight.

nhitrac
10-10-2017, 13:01
Unfortunately the crackling distortion can't be picked up with my phone recorder even when I turn up the volume.

Not sure how I can show it to the devs but hopefully they'll be able to run some tests on it....

Fight-Test
10-10-2017, 13:42
I drove alot in the BMW again last night and it happens high in the rpm right when you shift. I can't tell if its supposed to be there but just too loud in the mix or if its just a distortion. It doesn't happen everytime but 3rd and 4th gear appear to be most susceptible. I also notice in the pit with the limiter on you can hear tiny individual static pops and it happens every time.

AbeWoz
10-10-2017, 14:00
maybe its the anti-lag? not saying this isn't an issue, just saying it might be intentional unless its happening on all cars.

Umer Ahmad
10-10-2017, 14:01
backfire?

Fight-Test
10-10-2017, 14:08
Its not a recognizable sound to me, just a loud static/grind which could absolutely supposed to be there but just too loud. Its way louder than the motor and not a sound I can identify. The static with pit limiter on is not natural though.

NineLine
10-10-2017, 14:37
can confirm, i hear these as well.

It seems to happen for me after i've entered a few MP races, usually the 3rd or 4th one my sound is getting distorted and a restart is needed.

Redadeg
27-11-2017, 07:37
Here too.

Roushman624
27-11-2017, 07:38
Me too. Only this game has the sound.

nhitrac
27-11-2017, 07:56
Forgot about this thread as I hadn't played a lot of PC2 BUT recently purchased a new HyperX Cloud Alpha and a Fiio E10K DAC which meant it bypasses the onboard soubd from the mobo altogether.

Anyway the crackling sound is unfortunately still there albeit a lot less noticeable.

I noticed it also crackles when you're going over the kerb in certain gears towards the higher medium/high rev range.

Note, I know what antilag, gear shifts, backfire etc sounds like. This is not an in-game generated sound but more of an interference unintended noise.

Hopefully the upcoming patch fixes this.

biggbaddwolf
27-11-2017, 16:06
I have noticed this too with the Beemer on PS4

pri3st
19-06-2018, 13:06
Same problem here. Tried changing sampling rate and headphone mix. I'm using an Asus xonar dx and Sennheiser hd650 headphones. Everything else on the pc sound great with that hardware.
The sound problem is more noticeable in replays, sounds really crappy. Don't notice it when using Nvidia HDMI output and built in speakers in my monitor but the monitors built in audio is worlds apart from the Asus+Sennheiser combo do might not even be able to be clear enough to make the cracking prominent enough.

Sankyo
19-06-2018, 13:49
Same problem here. Tried changing sampling rate and headphone mix. I'm using an Asus xonar dx and Sennheiser hd650 headphones. Everything else on the pc sound great with that hardware.
The sound problem is more noticeable in replays, sounds really crappy. Don't notice it when using Nvidia HDMI output and built in speakers in my monitor but the monitors built in audio is worlds apart from the Asus+Sennheiser combo do might not even be able to be clear enough to make the cracking prominent enough.
What are the Xonar driver settings you're using?

pri3st
19-06-2018, 13:54
I'm at work ATM. But generally 2 channel, 2 speaker/headphones. Tried all available sampling rates. I can give more detail when I'm home.

pri3st
19-06-2018, 16:01
Edit. Double post.

nhitrac
20-06-2018, 12:17
Same problem here. Tried changing sampling rate and headphone mix.

Just last week I managed to minimise the crackling noise down to about 10%

I made two major changes so can’t pin it down to the actual fix but they were:

1) disabled all other audio devices (e.g. my monitor) except for my headphones via a DAC
2) changed the sampling rate under windows sound setup.

It actually made a world of difference and I’m able to enjoy cars that I previous avoided eg the Ferrari 488 GT3.

Good luck!

pri3st
27-06-2018, 08:42
Still no luck with quality. Biggest problem is in the replays, like the engine struggles to process multiple sounds at the same time. It's not too bad while driving but the replays are unbearable.
Question to the Devs: is there anything in config files I could mess with regarding sound?
I remember having to adjust some values in assetto for certain mods.

Edit: autocorrect messed up few things

Sankyo
27-06-2018, 11:12
Still no luck with quality. Biggest problem is in the replays, like the engine struggles to process multiple sounds at the same time. It's not too bad while driving but the replays are unbearable.
Question to the Devs: is there anything in config files I could mess with regarding sound?
I remember having to adjust some values in assetto for certain mods.

Edit: autocorrect messed up few things
AFAIK there are no sound settings in any config file. Since this isn't a generic issue (only a handful of people have ever reported similar issues), it must be something local. M previous gaming rig had a Xonar sound card and I had never such problems.

poirqc
27-06-2018, 12:15
Just last week I managed to minimise the crackling noise down to about 10%

I made two major changes so can’t pin it down to the actual fix but they were:

1) disabled all other audio devices (e.g. my monitor) except for my headphones via a DAC
2) changed the sampling rate under windows sound setup.

It actually made a world of difference and I’m able to enjoy cars that I previous avoided eg the Ferrari 488 GT3.

Good luck!

What sampling rate did you use?

Thanks,

pri3st
02-07-2018, 17:04
Fresh install of the os. Moved the xonar to different slot in the mobo. Even tried defaults in bios. Nothing helps. Checked output on other sound devices it's still there on every one of them. Gonna re-download the game and see if that helps. Mind you it's only project cars 2 that has a problem with my hardware.

specialkone
02-07-2018, 20:38
The sound problem is more noticeable in replays, sounds really crappy.

Does your Xonar soundcard come with software that is meant to “enhance” the sound experience? I have the sound blaster Z sound card and a 2.1 (two speakers and subwoofer) stereo setup. I was having the same issue as you, especially the replays. Worst was the all camera view. As the cameras changed I don’t know what I was hearing other than distortion. Trackside view seemed to be ok.
The sound blaster Z comes with software that turns on surround, crystalizer, bass “enhancements”. With that on, I was getting poor, distorted sound, and especially in replays but also when cars pass you. That SBX Pro Studio button in the screenshot below turns the software effects off/on and when off Project Cars 2 sound is fine.

Ironically, the sound blaster software comes with presets that include a driving simulation preset. That preset turns on only surround and dialog plus enhancements. With just those two items on the sound quality is still poor in Pcars 2 so I’m guessing the surround enhancement may be the issue.
The sound blaster software also has an equalizer tab (see below). I thought I read somewhere that Pcars 2 uses equalizer effects for tunnels, etc. Not sure if for this sim I should have it turned on or off. Anyone? Right now I have it on with a flat preset.

pri3st
03-07-2018, 16:35
That's interesting. I've got some app that got installed with the drivers. As far I know everything is disabled in is as I enjoy my music and hate any artificially "improved" audio. But to be sure I'll uninstall all that stuff and just install the drivers via device manager. I'll report my findings after work.

Raklodder
03-07-2018, 16:44
I think it's a sound bug of sorts, because I get it sometimes when racing online even when I've my volume turned down to 25% in both the game and Windows.

pri3st
03-07-2018, 18:46
Well it's no bug. According to one of the mods it must be a localized issue so we keep digging. I'm just happy I'm not alone, more brains we get on the job better the chance we have. Unless it is a game problem then we're beat. But I'm not giving up yet, it's a great SIM so I won't rest till it's fixed ;)

Mahjik
03-07-2018, 18:57
I wouldn't call it a bug, but I do think maybe the way the sounds are balanced (for loudness) may cause some sound cards to have some distortion (which may be pops or crackles in some cases). I used to have similar issues way back in the day (rFactor and GTR2) with mods when the mod makers would crank up the volume too much on their sound samples and my sound card didn't have the range to handle them.

FWIW, this user had a similar issue: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57056-Have-issue-with-random-static-and-pops-in-the-sound&p=1422043&viewfull=1#post1422043

poirqc
04-07-2018, 10:00
I wouldn't call it a bug, but I do think maybe the way the sounds are balanced (for loudness) may cause some sound cards to have some distortion (which may be pops or crackles in some cases). I used to have similar issues way back in the day (rFactor and GTR2) with mods when the mod makers would crank up the volume too much on their sound samples and my sound card didn't have the range to handle them.

FWIW, this user had a similar issue: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57056-Have-issue-with-random-static-and-pops-in-the-sound&p=1422043&viewfull=1#post1422043

Thanks for posting this. I tried Mad Al 24 Bit /48 Khz suggestion and it worked.

One of the worst offender was the BMW M1(Road E), it would crackle a lot when redlining. With those settings, I didn't really ear any.

I need to do more testing to confirm. It was late and I didn't had much time.