PDA

View Full Version : No great fun

marco101
09-10-2017, 13:43
I have invested hours now, in exercising, adjusting settings and what ever else I could do because I just don't get a feeling for the Cars. It starts with the feeling of Speed. No matter if I drive a BMW or a Formula A Car it just feels slow! So I started to fiddling around with the FOV settings. Now, besides that I'm wondering why I have to adjust FOV, even though I have specified the monitor sizes, sitting distance and Angles (I thought with these values the correct FOV could be calculated?), I do just not get how those FOV settings work. I mean the values don't seem to be in degrees? I'm using a triple Screen Setup and I'm sitting that close, I just can see the borders of the outer Screens. If I got that right, this would mean my screens cover an area of what? about 140? I can't even set the value to that. So I started to find the right value "by feeling" end ended at 82. So now I went for the speed depended FOV. After first activation it worked, I could easily feel the FOV chaning, but after adjusting the settings it didn't seem to work anymore?! And what is this, even with the car standing, and the minimum (speed depended) FOV and regular FOV at the same level, the views don't look the same?! I thought the FOV would change with increasing speed?! and start at the minimum value? I don't know, is it a translation issue? I just don't get it!

After all these hours i've put in to that Game it just doesn't make fun. I'm still all over the place with any car, driving like a blind man, having no feeling for grip. Actually, the only reason why I turn on the game is because, I just can't believe that this is it! It cant be true that this is such a horrible thing.... Fun factor.... 40% at most.

DreamsKnight
09-10-2017, 13:50
-calculate e adjust fov. pcars use a different fov from AC/RF2/r3E. this calculator do all the job in 1 minute: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

-Speed sensitive settings must be OFF. yes, they change the fov according to speed

-after the fov, adjust the picth (seat inclination). the horizon must be exactly at your eye level, misure it, don't trust your eyes.

i don't have triple so i can't give you any advice about it.

at this point everything will be good. slow car feels slow, fast cars feels fast.

Janneman60
09-10-2017, 13:55
I had/have the same problem. After some hours it gets better but I keep on hitting other cars because I don't "feel" the speed. In multiplayer this doesn't make me very popular...

Mahjik
09-10-2017, 14:15
Use the in-game FOV adjustments. By default, they are mapped to "[" and "]". Start a Private Session and go onto the track. Stop the car and use the "[" and "]" keys to adjust the FOV to your liking.

marco101
09-10-2017, 14:28
-calculate e adjust fov. pcars use a different fov from AC/RF2/r3E. this calculator do all the job in 1 minute: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

-Speed sensitive settings must be OFF. yes, they change the fov according to speed

-after the fov, adjust the picth (seat inclination). the horizon must be exactly at your eye level, misure it, don't trust your eyes.

i don't have triple so i can't give you any advice about it.

at this point everything will be good. slow car feels slow, fast cars feels fast.

Calculator: I knew that one. While it did a great job for pCars1 It does not anymore for pCars2. Triple screen, 24" 16:10, 62cm distance => 136 Can't event set that in pCars2

Why must Speed sens. off? its there?

I had/have the same problem. After some hours it gets better but I keep on hitting other cars because I don't "feel" the speed. In multiplayer this doesn't make me very popular...
yes, not to say the rating...

AbeWoz
09-10-2017, 14:33
Calculator: I knew that one. While it did a great job for pCars1 It does not anymore for pCars2. Triple screen, 24" 16:10, 62cm distance => 136 Can't event set that in pCars2

Why must Speed sens. off? its there?

yes, not to say the rating...

Marco are you using nvidia surround as well as the in-game triple screen support?

If you are using nvidia surorund, calculate your FOV as a single monitor (whatever size your center monitor is) and use that.

I get a great sense of speed in pc2 and I hate going back to AC (what my league uses) because it feels like i'm not even moving.

marco101
09-10-2017, 15:28
Marco are you using nvidia surround as well as the in-game triple screen support?

If you are using nvidia surorund, calculate your FOV as a single monitor (whatever size your center monitor is) and use that.

I get a great sense of speed in pc2 and I hate going back to AC (what my league uses) because it feels like i'm not even moving.

I did use surround in pCars1 since it was the only way for triple screen. Now is regular multi screen. If I use the calculator for single screen it tells me 45.... no way....

snakehands
09-10-2017, 15:37

Get VR. My eyes bleed if I try to drive with monitors now. You can judge distance and closure in VR as in real life, where as with monitors it’s all a bit of a fudge.

Mahjik
09-10-2017, 15:42
I did use surround in pCars1 since it was the only way for triple screen. Now is regular multi screen. If I use the calculator for single screen it tells me 45.... no way....

Ignore calculators and just adjust the FOV in-game to your liking.

marco101
09-10-2017, 15:43
Get VR. My eyes bleed if I try to drive with monitors now. You can judge distance and closure in VR as in real life, where as with monitors it’s all a bit of a fudge.

I also thought about that...

btw. does anybody know if the seat position is a global or per car setting?

snakehands
09-10-2017, 15:50

It’s accurate to the individual cars. In VR you don’t need to be exactly in the same position as the virtual driver for your brain to be fouls into thinking the virtual driver is you. I use the same size wheel all the time but if I’m driving a car with a big wheel, then my wheel feels the same size. Your brain with sort everything for you automatically, it’s a wonder to behold.

DreamsKnight
09-10-2017, 15:53

you are right. i forgot now the rendering is separate. i think the fov for the single (46, but use something like 50/51) should be correct.

DON'T FORGET THE PITCH. pitch + fov give the best.

by the way, if you had to do some manual math, try asking the guy, he is very polite.
https://www.facebook.com/Project-Immersion-149922472032724/

DreamsKnight
09-10-2017, 15:54

seat inclination (pitch) is global. the other two per car.

marco101
09-10-2017, 16:01
seat inclination (pitch) is global. the other two per car.

what other two?? thers only height (or vertical position) and distance to the steering wheel (or horizontal position) did I miss something?

snakehands
09-10-2017, 16:03
what other two?? thers only height (or vertical position) and distance to the steering wheel (or horizontal position) did I miss something?

Up/down, forward/back

could_do_better
09-10-2017, 16:05
Press Ctrl-K and then keypad lets you adjust viewing angles too

AbeWoz
09-10-2017, 16:25
also seat pitch control, i assigned them to 'Q' and 'E'

DreamsKnight
09-10-2017, 18:01

fov is fov. (global setting)
seat position has 3 controls:
-inclination (global setting), which is common called pitch in assetto corsa or rfactor 2. its porpuse is to set the horizon on your eyes line. it is important exactly like fov to have a good feel of speed. the starting point is in the middle of the monitor(s)
-height (or vertical position) (per car setting)
-distance to the steering wheel (or horizontal position) (per car setting)

marco101
10-10-2017, 09:32
fov is fov. (global setting)
seat position has 3 controls:
-inclination (global setting), which is common called pitch in assetto corsa or rfactor 2. its porpuse is to set the horizon on your eyes line. it is important exactly like fov to have a good feel of speed. the starting point is in the middle of the monitor(s)
-height (or vertical position) (per car setting)
-distance to the steering wheel (or horizontal position) (per car setting)

Great explanation! Thank you.