PDA

View Full Version : Weather effects, do they worth the effort?

M-PowerX
09-10-2017, 23:02
Weather effects are great in pcars2, really, but online as soon as it start raining everyone quits.

There is no rain in Asset to corsa and developers said that they were saving time for other features, since just few drivers are interested in wet races, they have done some research.

Wouldn't be better to invest in a smarter collision detection system?
If you brake so late that it would be impossible for you to turn, pcars2 should be able to understand it and punish only you, not the one rammed.
If I'm rammed with red light at start I should not be punished with drive through
If you jump the start by 2 seconds you have to be banned from the race
Lapped guys should be ghosted always, that would be the end of losers waiting for you stuck in the slow chicanes just to hit you.

I'm still rated U, thanks to this unfair drivers I met.
It's such a good game, it misses just few things to be great instead of being frustrating.

Plato99
10-10-2017, 06:26
I can only imagine the framerates on Assetto Corsa if Kunos tried to implement weather.....

Sankyo
10-10-2017, 06:32
Weather effects are great in pcars2, really, but online as soon as it start raining everyone quits.

There is no rain in Asset to corsa and developers said that they were saving time for other features, since just few drivers are interested in wet races, they have done some research.

If you brake so late that it would be impossible for you to turn, pcars2 should be able to understand it and punish only you, not the one rammed.
If I'm rammed with red light at start I should not be punished with drive through
Lapped guys should be ghosted always, that would be the end of losers waiting for you stuck in the slow chicanes just to hit you.

It's such a good game, it misses just few things to be great instead of being frustrating.
The weather system is made by different people with different skill sets than the online programmers.

iRacing has been doing online stuff for many years and they also still don't distinguish between rammer and rammed, so that tells me that it's not something very straightforward to detect reliably in-race. How do you detect if someone braked (too) late?

The part about being rammed when the lights are still red and jumping the start are good suggestions, I'll pass those on.

Marlborofranz
10-10-2017, 06:34
I don't know where all these people come from, but in 99% of races (Spent 10 hours online now) I never had issues overlapping opponents. Ok, there were some "rookies" that made mistakes but mostly it didn't end into a crash. There are also people saying sorry if the bump into you and if they loose control and spin, they hit the brakes and wait for you to pass.

However I am not driving as mad as real life drivers because I know that many people on the servers are not pros at all. So in the worst case I am just following the slower car and wait for a section on the track where it's really no problem to overtake them. You loose some seconds, but hey --> Public lobbies, not a league and after all it's a simulation/game.

EDIT: And I actually like racing in the rain or have changing weather conditions. This is what makes the race exciting because you have to choose the right strategy... so even more excitement because there are more variables telling you if you win or loose than just driving the fastest laps.....

solocapers
10-10-2017, 07:12

Why does everything need to come back to Asseto Corsa? Its not this mythical game that is perfect, infact many sims do many things much better than it. A driving sim isnt much of a sim if it cant do weather for a start. I for one am glad Project Cars has wet weather. Infact, its one of the reasons I bought this over other driving sims - the variable weather.

No offence, but if you are still ranked U nearly 3 weeks in then that says something more about you imo than people you are "lapping" - Drive careful, if your in a public lobby hang back a bit if you are unsure of the driver infront.

m355y
10-10-2017, 07:16
I haven't really dared to try adding rain to long distance races yet, because in the original it always seemed to utterly spoil the race and undo my efforts to that point. And the one time I did try to set up a wet/dry race, it started dry and my car already had rain tyres on.

Boneboys
10-10-2017, 10:13
I have a pitstop strategy called "wet" :yes:, it works very well.
Weather change really adds to the immersion and overall challenge imho, those that quit because it rains mid race are not prepared, did not read the Race description before joining the server and are apt to cause accidents if they stay, good thing that they quit !
A better hit detection system would be fine but I do not see how the two are related, it will not stop slipping about in the rain if drivers are not prepared.

Poor driving standards not pour(ing) weather are what needs to be fixed and that can only be done by respecting the fundamentals that lend to cleaner and safer racing, by one and all.

I have noticed that standards are or seem to be slowly increasing since release, this includes myself.

Know your circuit.
Know your pit strategy.
Know your enemy.

Jumped on a public peer to peer server yesterday, first race went from cloudy to heavy rain, some left for obvious reasons but for those that stayed a good race was had by all.
The weather did not carry through to the next race ( bug I believe) but no matter the general racing standards held over.
At the end of the day I moved up from U1366 to E1384 over five races, only because drivers, including myself were putting a little effort into the game.

https://i.imgur.com/bnhwSH3.png

Lets hope for better weather today :eagerness:

M-PowerX
10-10-2017, 16:27
Why does everything need to come back to Asseto Corsa? Its not this mythical game that is perfect, infact many sims do many things much better than it. A driving sim isnt much of a sim if it cant do weather for a start. I for one am glad Project Cars has wet weather. Infact, its one of the reasons I bought this over other driving sims - the variable weather.

No offence, but if you are still ranked U nearly 3 weeks in then that says something more about you imo than people you are "lapping" - Drive careful, if your in a public lobby hang back a bit if you are unsure of the driver infront.

No offence taken, I've been F, but after a guy tried to overtake me at "prima variante" in Monza when he was 1 sec behind (hit me on the side, not even in the back of the car...) and another genius lapped going 10 km/h waiting for me (i was first) at "acque minerali" in Imola... surprise!!! i'm back at U.
Not to mention the one in imola the jumped the start by 3 seconds and was so idiot to ram me (i was in first row). By the way, he was able to finish the race in first position, while I did my drive trough and ended 10th, we had the same fastest lap.

No offence but maybe you spent more time more than me playing pcars2. I drive carefully but sometime it's not enough.

I tried Assetto Corsa but i never liked it, I was only stating that weather effects are not the first point on the wish list of online player.

@Remco:
"How do you detect if someone braked (too) late?"

The AI knows where to brake, so it is possible to predict if you brake so late that you will not be able to turn. Gran turismo 6 (since 2013) is able to do that, brake too late online and you will be ghosted and will not smash into other players. Is something that could be investigated by SMS? Not ending all the races at the first turn, when you can't get the pole position, would be a dream.

I would like to remark that i loved pcars and I really like pcars2, I'm just waiting for some fix to love it.

Krieg 1
10-10-2017, 16:37
I love the change in weather....Would be really cool if my pit crew would change my tires to the selected pit strat. No? well it would be really cool if they changed them on the next lap when i manually select them and call for a pit yet again. No? Would be great if they did it on the third attempt. No?

F it back out lose 50 points. YAY

Jaood
10-10-2017, 16:42
Yeah weather is sure worth it for the 2% that use it online. It's very fun though.

snakehands
10-10-2017, 16:54

The hotlappers quit, you mean. Good riddance to them. They can only race one line, put a car in front of them and they hit it. They have zero racecraft. And if the grip levels change like on a real track, they crash out. They are boys racing a man's simulator.

Sankyo
10-10-2017, 17:23
... brake too late online and you will be ghosted and will not smash into other players. Is something that could be investigated by SMS? Not ending all the races at the first turn, when you can't get the pole position, would be a dream.

That would be awful, IMO. No incentive to improve yourself for fear of damaging the people you race with, no skill learning to stay bumper to bumper without hitting other cars, just ghost the car when it's about to hit another. Like hotlapping with holograms around you. No thanks, I'm not going to vote for that :)

Erwin Berkers
10-10-2017, 18:45
I bet M-PowerX means using a logic similar to what he describes in GT6 for detecting who is at fault in the collision, not necessarily ghosting the car ;-)

Same holds true for cars joining the track after an excursion into the grass; not ghost them, but let the game logic use that information for detecting who is likely at fault in a following contact.

Marlborofranz
11-10-2017, 05:28
The hotlappers quit, you mean. Good riddance to them. They can only race one line, put a car in front of them and they hit it. They have zero racecraft. And if the grip levels change like on a real track, they crash out. They are boys racing a man's simulator.

Agree with this. I mean changing weather and changing track dynamics are what makes racing exciting in the first place. It starts raining, maybe I can finish the race on slicks and loose less time than going to pits to get rain tires? Where are the puddles I have to avoid? Can I still drive through these small puddles on my slicks? Do I have more grip when changing the racing line to avoid driving on the wet, rubbery parts of the track? How do my braking points change because the tires get cooled by the water?

It annoys me a little bit that most people in the community only want "hotlapping" on perfect weather and grip conditions, because in real life you also can't say: "Sorry, I am not attending this race because it's wet and I can just drive in the dry". Eat or die. Once random weather is fixed, I'll be adding random weather to lots of the races on my dedicated server as soon as they fixed that it can also snow in summer on Monza. If this is done, I'll add a message to the message system when joining a server to warn about the weather conditions and if they all quit because they don't have the perfectly rubbered in, warm summer track - then they can go home and mow their lawn while the remaining racers are going to have fun. My opinion.

Cheesenium
11-10-2017, 05:49
As usual, the offline AI racers are always left out.

I personally love this rain feature. It keeps the race interesting, more dynamic and much more fun than an entirely static environment.

Eric Everfast
11-10-2017, 06:26
Agree with this. I mean changing weather and changing track dynamics are what makes racing exciting in the first place. It starts raining, maybe I can finish the race on slicks and loose less time than going to pits to get rain tires? Where are the puddles I have to avoid? Can I still drive through these small puddles on my slicks? Do I have more grip when changing the racing line to avoid driving on the wet, rubbery parts of the track? How do my braking points change because the tires get cooled by the water?

It annoys me a little bit that most people in the community only want "hotlapping" on perfect weather and grip conditions, because in real life you also can't say: "Sorry, I am not attending this race because it's wet and I can just drive in the dry". Eat or die. Once random weather is fixed, I'll be adding random weather to lots of the races on my dedicated server as soon as they fixed that it can also snow in summer on Monza. If this is done, I'll add a message to the message system when joining a server to warn about the weather conditions and if they all quit because they don't have the perfectly rubbered in, warm summer track - then they can go home and mow their lawn while the remaining racers are going to have fun. My opinion.

I'll 3rd this. Racing is about more than simply shaving another 10th off your lap times with the optimal lines in optimal conditions. I won't downplay the importance of hot lapping because it's crucial to perfecting technique, learning tracks, as well as working on car setups... and I can get downright obsessive with posting faster times. However, so many variables are left out; overtaking properly is a skill learned through anticipating another driver's inputs and you're only going to learn that through actual racing. Improving pace in variable weather is about anticipating vehicle dynamics and you're only going to get a proper feel for the car in different conditions by driving in them.

The interesting thing about hot lapping is this: It's reasonable to think that you're more likely to improve upon your times by repeatedly attacking a vacant circuit with perfect weather... and you will get faster until you reach a plateau. Then, by taking a breather from all the time attack and having a go at actual racing, you'll notice that your lap times are a few seconds off and that you're not attacking every part of the circuit as well as you know you could. That's normal. But give yourself a good steady diet of just racing and after a while come back for some hot lapping. Lo and behold, you're beating your previous times.

This has been the case for me and if I were to attempt to explain how this happens, I can attribute it to the fact that your scope of focus is wider during an actual race and so your mind is adapting and improving upon performing more tasks at once under certain circumstances. Then you go back to an empty track and your mind is more at ease which is naturally reflected on how much more smooth your inputs are (whether it be braking, throttle or steering). You have an increased confidence in your driving.

Anyways, sorry if I had to chalk this down to a science lol. I guess the moral of the story is to let the hot lappers know that they should embrace the racing & its different weather conditions :P More speed will follow.

John Hargreaves
11-10-2017, 10:17
As usual, the offline AI racers are always left out.

I personally love this rain feature. It keeps the race interesting, more dynamic and much more fun than an entirely static environment.

Any time I've raced online it's not a very enjoyable experience, I much prefer AI races for all the reasons mentioned about the behaviour of 'the public' in this thread. It's interesting how people go on about 'PC not as good sim as AC', then claim 'AC better because no weather', so now AC is a better sim because it doesn't simulate half the things that make racing realistic?

MaximusN
11-10-2017, 10:33
It's interesting how people go on about 'PC not as good sim as AC', then claim 'AC better because no weather', so now AC is a better sim because it doesn't simulate half the things that make racing realistic?
THIS :)

People sometimes seem to want their sim as static as possible, because that is predictable(read: boring as...). Maybe we should send them a picture of a racecar interior, doesn't get more static than that. Be sure to take it on a sunny day though or else they will complain. ;)

Kuukelite
11-10-2017, 11:02
I am one of those that quit when it starts raining, this is my reason behind it so be patient with me ;)

I track day/daily drive a very fast Lotus Exige 320S, so I am pretty aware of how cars handle in the wet. I also have an adequate amount of time on PC1, PC2, GT & Driveclub (dont laugh!).

Its fair to say I know how cars handle in the wet fairly well.

When playing PC2 my first experience of wet laps was on brands hatch when it started to rain at the end of qualifying. I believe I was driving the M1 at the time, or something of that ilk. As soon as the rain was settling grip became what I would consider driving on black ice, totally unrealistic and impossible to make it back to the pits to change tyre. Literally 12mph of super light throttle in a straight line would send the back end out, unrecoverable. I am not the best driver in the world and would never suggest it, but that is unreasonable, even on slicks. I got back into the garage after a 15 minute lap (not one to reset, in the true spirit of sims), and could I figure out how to change to wets, could I hell. I picked 'chose the tire depending on weather' and tried a few different sets manually and all were the same, black ice effect, zero grip.

The exact same situation happened as above driving some other track/car and I literally rage quit, from that point on I always quit as soon as I see a drop.

I am fully aware I could be missing some setting or something obvious, but I couldn't find it and gave up.

My point to this post is that I have no problem driving in the wet typically, but that is game breaking. It might give you an insight to why others are quitting so easily in the rain.

P.s. I love driving in the rain, if anybody knows where I am going wrong I would love help!!

Sankyo
11-10-2017, 11:20
I am one of those that quit when it starts raining, this is my reason behind it so be patient with me ;)

I track day/daily drive a very fast Lotus Exige 320S, so I am pretty aware of how cars handle in the wet. I also have an adequate amount of time on PC1, PC2, GT & Driveclub (dont laugh!).

Its fair to say I know how cars handle in the wet fairly well.

When playing PC2 my first experience of wet laps was on brands hatch when it started to rain at the end of qualifying. I believe I was driving the M1 at the time, or something of that ilk. As soon as the rain was settling grip became what I would consider driving on black ice, totally unrealistic and impossible to make it back to the pits to change tyre. Literally 12mph of super light throttle in a straight line would send the back end out, unrecoverable. I am not the best driver in the world and would never suggest it, but that is unreasonable, even on slicks. I got back into the garage after a 15 minute lap (not one to reset, in the true spirit of sims), and could I figure out how to change to wets, could I hell. I picked 'chose the tire depending on weather' and tried a few different sets manually and all were the same, black ice effect, zero grip.

The exact same situation happened as above driving some other track/car and I literally rage quit, from that point on I always quit as soon as I see a drop.

I am fully aware I could be missing some setting or something obvious, but I couldn't find it and gave up.

My point to this post is that I have no problem driving in the wet typically, but that is game breaking. It might give you an insight to why others are quitting so easily in the rain.

P.s. I love driving in the rain, if anybody knows where I am going wrong I would love help!!
Please try again after installing patch 2.0, especially tyre choide and car set-up have been fixed/improved.

snakehands
11-10-2017, 11:21
I have experience of a dry track + Rain + Slicks and it seemed spot on to me.

clanky
11-10-2017, 13:33
That would be awful, IMO. No incentive to improve yourself for fear of damaging the people you race with, no skill learning to stay bumper to bumper without hitting other cars, just ghost the car when it's about to hit another. Like hotlapping with holograms around you. No thanks, I'm not going to vote for that :)

I got to agree here, I don't like that idea of just doing hotlaps with holograms. If anyone could perfect the incident system it would have been iracing, there's a reason that the two are so similar. Hell even IRL there are a few states that do a no fault at accidents. Someone rear ends someone else and you're both to blame. I think Flordia is one? I can't recall. Either way that's why I put a dash cam in all my cars and motorcycle.

John Hargreaves
11-10-2017, 14:01
There definitely was a thing where going into the pits when the rain came, on default pitstop strategy, didn't change the tyres properly. The game would basically put your old worn slicks back on. This was definitely reported, so it might have made the fixes now. I agree it was frustrating, as if you were in a long race it basically made the difference between first and last place. From my own testing, driving with proper rain tyres on a wet track was fine, but unless you did a pit strategy in advance, the auto by weather choice wasn't doing what you would expect. We can test with the new patch, if it didn't make it we can report back.

M-PowerX
11-10-2017, 16:06
Any time I've raced online it's not a very enjoyable experience, I much prefer AI races for all the reasons mentioned about the behaviour of 'the public' in this thread. It's interesting how people go on about 'PC not as good sim as AC', then claim 'AC better because no weather', so now AC is a better sim because it doesn't simulate half the things that make racing realistic?

I feel my English is much worse than expected, can you please quote me where I stated that AC is better because has less features?
Because it was not my intention.

I reported that probably if you have to choose where to invest your money on developing probably wheater conditions are less important compared to great online multiplayer experience. That's what AC developer, with their limited budget did, try to give to the users what they are looking for. Said that, I don't own AC, i tried it and I prefered Pcars1.

Said that you are probably pro gamer, (that is not bad at all!), while I'am an amateur, I have a couple of hour now and then to spend playing pcars2 and you know what? I like to spend that time racing against fair users in the same conditions. If I spend half an hour in qualifying, get the front row and then get slammed at the first chicane, well for me is frustrating. If you like to slowly go back to the pit, repair damage and restart in last position in a 6/8 laps because that makes pcars a "real simulator", I can't complain, but I don't like it.

If I have to choose I prefer damage off, smash me in the grass, but at least give me the option to recover.

If I could choose I would race GT3 in "roulette" car choice with default setup. So everyone has the same chance to win, better driver wins, not better engineer.
But that's just me, please respect.

plaid
11-10-2017, 21:40
Im actually not sure how much the weather is worth. At least "changing" weather/progression and daytransition/night which are not relevant in sprintraces.

Considering the usual 30-60min long sprintraces there isn't much time in which all that much happens weatherwise in most cases. Also dynamic time of day isn't much of a factor. It would be much more interesting in a multiple hour race, where indeed a lot can happen, so endurance lengths.

Cause it was supported in PCars1 and also claimed to be supported in PCars2 Im really dissapointed that the gridsizes are lower and didn't get increased for the Nordschleife, but especially the AI doesn't seem to be good (enough) regarding overlapping. After the first failed attempt I had at least a little hope and considering that and the former mentioned reasons it would have been better to improve the AIs overtaking/lapping capabilities so to make endurance races actually functional and enjoyable, instead of weather that in most cases doesn't play a big role in a sprint races.

Online you don't even need to look for endurance races.

So all in all I feel like a bit like playin AC, but with waterdrops and puddles, where enduranceraces also don't work and the career is messed up,too. [Im no expert for physics and forcefeedback so I leave these things to the experts].

Still hope it changes, another AC would be boring.

mister dog
11-10-2017, 21:48
Rain is one of the biggest draws to this game for me and what makes it stand out from the other sims in my collection. It's very well implemented for PC2 (I didn't like it in PC1).The addition of Livetrack adds greatly to the experience too, it's one of the first games that really makes me feel that a track is truly alive with all the different states it can mutate itself in both with the grip levels as the looks.

mister dog
11-10-2017, 22:10
Oh sorry for double posting but I'd still like to request that someone looks at the effect of having the windscreen wipers at the fastest settings. On the lower speed setting it looks very realistic (maybe there are a tad too much drops falling directly in your line of vision so the middle of the wiping area), but it looks and feels convincing, especially with the great sound effects. Putting the wipers at the highest settings however is not, the rain just keeps on dashing against your window at the same rate whilst the wipers seem to go in overdrive.

Using the fastest wiper settings there should be almost no drops (or worms for that matter) falling in the area where the wiper is active.

JakeDiggitty
11-10-2017, 22:10
Rain, Snow, Ice, Dirt, sunsets/day/night transitions, and Rallycross are the main reasons I bought PCars2. Makes it feel much more real. I love low grip racing and variety in general. Plus we already have other games that do have been doing dry tarmac racing for years.. time to take it to the next level and PCars2 did that well. Hopefully in future patches they can improve the AI and fix the bugs like incorrect tires being chosen using the "auto by weather" default.

In summary, loving the weather and low grip varieties here.

VisionHD
11-10-2017, 22:45
I completely support the use of weather options. They make game so much diverse and interesting. If hotlappers hate it, let them quit.

wadafaka
13-10-2017, 13:04
I LOVE racing in the rain in Project Cars 2 (not so much in PC1)

Kuukelite
14-10-2017, 10:37
Yeah works perfect now! Just did a 30 minute race at silverstone in the wet and it was fine!

DarkStryder360
14-10-2017, 13:52
It's a shame so many "hardcore sim racers" are set in their ways, must be dry, must be 12 midday, must be an official track on the class calendar.

Was in a race that turned wet half way through. Majority of people left, and I over took a guy on the last lap because I pitted for correct tyres.

The guy just commented "unfair" and left.

Roger Prynne
14-10-2017, 13:53
The trouble is that most of them are probably just kids and have never tried any other type of racing...... it's a real shame really.

mister dog
14-10-2017, 15:20
Yeah what can you do most casuals have a hard time keeping it on the track in the dry already :). Racing with steam buddies or forum folk is the better option and I'm sure the experience rating will help with that too down the line.

ironman
14-10-2017, 16:19
Rain is one of the biggest draws to this game for me and what makes it stand out from the other sims in my collection. It's very well implemented for PC2 (I didn't like it in PC1).The addition of Livetrack adds greatly to the experience too, it's one of the first games that really makes me feel that a track is truly alive with all the different states it can mutate itself in both with the grip levels as the looks.

OH YES !
Dear AC Fans I must admit weather/night/livetrack are key features that "project" this sim far ahead........
Thank you SMS !!

gcx
14-10-2017, 18:12
I love the idea of dynamic weather, but for me, it's ruined by the AI. Their speed is so erratic when cold/warm or dry/wet that it makes me not want to use dynamic weather.

TheKitten
14-10-2017, 19:14
Is it me, or is Multiplayer Weather, not that great compared to Single Player?

John Hargreaves
14-10-2017, 19:23
I feel my English is much worse than expected, can you please quote me where I stated that AC is better because has less features?
Because it was not my intention.

I'm sorry mate, it was not my intention to pick on you personally, it's just that I have seen many examples of AC/rFactor/iRacing fans criticizing pCARS for not being a proper simulation, whilst conveniently overlooking all the things those games don't simulate well.
Your post just reminded me of those people, and I meant it more as a general observation. Sorry for any misunderstanding :o

M-PowerX
14-10-2017, 19:49
No problem John.
After all the enthusiastic posts in this thread I tried some lobbies with variable weather.
Despite running in Monza in a blizzard (I live close to Monza) by night is really uncommon, I have to admit it was a lot of fun.

The only problem I found was that my configuration that usually runs at solid 60fps was struggling to keep 45/50 fps.
I tuned it a little bit and now is far better.

Purg
14-10-2017, 23:32
First time in any sim that has weather I've actually looked forward to it raining. I haven't been setting my own weather, I've been leaving it on 'Real Weather'. The only problem here is not knowing how long the current weather may last. It would be good if your engineer would tell you that rain was incoming and how long it's expected to last. Do I battle through slicks or change to wets - don't know since I don't know if it'll be light rain for a lap or heavy rain for the rest of the race.

AI wet driving needs to match it's dry driving. If I'm equal with them in the dry, they should be comparable in the wet. It's getting better compared to release where they were painfully slow but I understand if they're looking to creep the AI strength up..

I saw my first dry line yesterday running a 15 lap race. Would be good if we could set the initial state of the track and speed at which the track wets/dries since most people aren't going to run races exceeding 1 hour.

As much as I love Assetto Corsa, it's now been rendered bland by a track that changes very little by comparison.

Roger Prynne
15-10-2017, 00:38
First time in any sim that has weather I've actually looked forward to it raining. I haven't been setting my own weather, I've been leaving it on 'Real Weather'. The only problem here is not knowing how long the current weather may last. It would be good if your engineer would tell you that rain was incoming and how long it's expected to last. Do I battle through slicks or change to wets - don't know since I don't know if it'll be light rain for a lap or heavy rain for the rest of the race.

AI wet driving needs to match it's dry driving. If I'm equal with them in the dry, they should be comparable in the wet. It's getting better compared to release where they were painfully slow but I understand if they're looking to creep the AI strength up..

I saw my first dry line yesterday running a 15 lap race. Would be good if we could set the initial state of the track and speed at which the track wets/dries since most people aren't going to run races exceeding 1 hour.

As much as I love Assetto Corsa, it's now been rendered bland by a track that changes very little by comparison.

Would you know in real life?

CruisingUSA
15-10-2017, 00:41

If you crash on track when racing do safety cars come out in real life?
Can you drive an F1 car in the snow in the UAE in July in a snowy blizzard for 137 laps with 31 other random (some even classless) vehicles in chase cam in real life? ;)

This real life argument needs to get to bed :P
It's a game, a great game, but it's not even close to real life. Scumball rally is something we run on a yearly basis, it's actual real life. You can join in at any time, we take bangers to the nords etc and tear the rear out of them.

Great game, buy my gosh its a million miles away from real life.

Purg
15-10-2017, 02:56

Yes.

Watch the last Bathurst 1000. It rained most of the day but tyre choice was critical at times and teams were able to select slicks based off radar maps, knowing that there was a coming stretch of dry weather. Those that took the chance and picked slicks even while it was still raining ran down those on wets when the dry line appeared.

Edit: Here's a quick view of one of the radar sites they had access to showing local rainfall. It's not the exact same one they showed they were using during race footage, there's probably paid sites that provide more granular detail.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR712.loop.shtml#skip

MaximusN
15-10-2017, 08:01
Yes.

Watch the last Bathurst 1000. It rained most of the day but tyre choice was critical at times and teams were able to select slicks based off radar maps, knowing that there was a coming stretch of dry weather. Those that took the chance and picked slicks even while it was still raining ran down those on wets when the dry line appeared.

Edit: Here's a quick view of one of the radar sites they had access to showing local rainfall. It's not the exact same one they showed they were using during race footage, there's probably paid sites that provide more granular detail.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR712.loop.shtml#skip

They use them in F1 too f.i. But even if they didn't have this one person with a mobile phone and a weather(/rain) app is enough. It's actually one of the very few apps I find essential in day to day life(having to cycle and walk the dog). Most of the rest is fluff.

Ex01
15-10-2017, 08:20
The weather system is made by different people with different skill sets than the online programmers.

iRacing has been doing online stuff for many years and they also still don't distinguish between rammer and rammed, so that tells me that it's not something very straightforward to detect reliably in-race. How do you detect if someone braked (too) late?

The part about being rammed when the lights are still red and jumping the start are good suggestions, I'll pass those on.

I would add to that in iRacing they have the appeals process where your unjust collision can be reviewed by a human, and that fails miserably too, the amount of times no penalty was given to people clearly ram raiding other drivers.

In my view the only way you can truly get as clean racing as possible is a good league, that said if Sebastian Vettel can lie, cheat and generally claim it's never his fault? What can we expect from the average Joe sim racer.

I would argue people need to adjust their expectations from their peers not the games rating system.