PDA

View Full Version : Patch 2: Setup still not sticking

skipptg
11-10-2017, 17:54
Loaded my old Formula Rookie Knockhill setup - wet tyres min tyre pressures. Tyre pressures were not loaded correctly. Changed in setup back to min pressure, saved, drive, tyre pressures still unchanged.

>>Tweaks and fixes to setup UI and flow.

<sigh> this is pretty fundamental, no?

skipptg
11-10-2017, 18:04
Yep, still have to save to a new file for the setup to stick.

Alan Dallas
11-10-2017, 18:07
Yep, still have to save to a new file for the setup to stick.

That's what your supposed to do. Working as intended.

skipptg
11-10-2017, 18:11
It's a conscious design decision to force the user to save to a NEW file every time you change any setup? Really? Even though the option is there to save over an existing one. Smells fishy.

Mon Pavion
11-10-2017, 18:12

Really? So the game asks you if you want to overwrite the old file and it still doesnt save it correctly thats the way its supposed to work?

Tbolt
11-10-2017, 18:13
Yes sometimes the setup does not load (you have to exit the tuning menu and go back in for it to load and all you setups to show up that car ), so no change here of course we don't know if it was meant to be fixed or not yet. The overwriting problem could be the same problem - the game seems to loose the folder you setups are in sometimes.

Kebabfelix
11-10-2017, 18:14
Btw pretty much all prior setups are broken, My qualy setups had ICE and WET tyres on.

Check your setups on all cars.

M4MKey
11-10-2017, 18:14

Clearly I doubt that this behaviour is intended ? What's the point of making UI elements and prompts if they serve no purpose at all ?

bmanic
11-10-2017, 18:16

That's surely not the case. It's a bug. Why would the game otherwise let you overwrite stuff? pCars has always had notoriously delicate file management/data saving. This was the case for the first game too.

Alan Dallas
11-10-2017, 18:19
It's a conscious design decision to force the user to save to a NEW file every time you change any setup? Really? Even though the option is there to save over an existing one. Smells fishy.

No, you create one new one, click save after an adjustment, done. Do you need me to come to your house and give you a private tutorial?

skipptg
11-10-2017, 18:20
No, you create one new one, click save after an adjustment, done. Do you need me to come to your house and give you a private tutorial?

Well aren't you a delight.

Yes please do, because that process still does not work.

Alan Dallas
11-10-2017, 18:21
Well aren't you a delight.

Yes please do, because that process still does not work.

Works every single time for me.

whip
You load a saved setup then you have to save it again

Dont even try to understand. It'll melt your brain

Tbolt
Really? So the game asks you if you want to overwrite the old file and it still doesnt save it correctly thats the way its supposed to work?

Every time I overwrite it always saves but doesn't always load next time.

Fight-Test
11-10-2017, 18:22
You load a saved setup then you have to save it again

Dont even try to understand. It'll melt your brain

You only have to save again if you make any changes to it.

Alan Dallas
11-10-2017, 18:25
Every time I overwrite it always saves but doesn't always load next time.

Ahh, Now we're getting to the root of it. Yes, this is true. On track load it doesn't use the last setup you edited. Likes to default back to Loose or Stable.

skipptg
11-10-2017, 18:28
Nope, not what I'm reporting at all. Just knocking up a quick video to show how I'm apparently saving it wrong...

Ensi Ferrum
11-10-2017, 18:29

Of course I do.
Than you can show me some logical way how to name the forced new setup.
I've written about this "design decision" in another thread already: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52926-PCARS2-Car-Setup-Talk&p=1369238&viewfull=1#post1369238
I do one little change in the setup (e. g. Stiffen the front suspension by 1 click) and want to test this for 5 or 6 laps. Why do I have to save this setup change? I save my setup when I have made a step towards a faster laptime and I can confirm this change is positive.

And as @skipptg has written: This really smells fishy!!
In my native language I would say: "G'wollt und ned 'konnt".

whip
11-10-2017, 18:32
You only have to save again if you make any changes to it.

Nope

Load saved setup and it doesnt stick. You have to save it again to stick

skipptg
11-10-2017, 18:33
https://youtu.be/HWkxb1WaLrA

See here.

Bealdor
11-10-2017, 18:36

See here.

Do not use the "save over existing setup" function (known issue). Use "save to new setup" instead and overwrite your current one this way.

Tbolt
11-10-2017, 18:38

See here.

Like you say it's the same, so we still the work work around of selecting a new setup and then overwriting which works every time.

nhitrac
11-10-2017, 18:40

A new file? Every single time? Ie if I change the tyre pressure. New file. Then later brake balance. New file...

Surely not? What's the point of allowing us to overwrite then?

Tbolt
Ahh, Now we're getting to the root of it. Yes, this is true. On track load it doesn't use the last setup you edited. Likes to default back to Loose or Stable.

It works half the time but the other half the game doesn't see any set ups for that car except the defaults, but as long as you realise that, it's not too much of a problem ( first time it happened lost my set up! ).

RoccoTTS
For me the setup save system has always worked as intended, never lost a save.

nhitrac
11-10-2017, 18:43
Do not use the "save over existing setup" function (known issue). Use "save to new setup" instead and overwrite your current one this way.

This is a clearer explanation. Thanks.

However to the other poster, definitely can't say it's working "as intended".

LMR TopSecret
11-10-2017, 18:44
Since day 1 on every car every track I save a new file and just overwrite the original tune I am saving over. Iíve never had a problem with tunes not loading properly, not being there etc. People just need to accept their fate of spending 2 more seconds to save over the old one by hitting save as a new file and overwriting it and not pressing the save over file.

RoccoTTS
11-10-2017, 18:48
Since day 1 on every car every track I save a new file and just overwrite the original tune I am saving over. I’ve never had a problem with tunes not loading properly, not being there etc. People just need to accept their fate of spending 2 more seconds to save over the old one by hitting save as a new file and overwriting it and not pressing the save over file.

That's also the way i did it every time.

Alan Dallas
11-10-2017, 18:51
This is a clearer explanation. Thanks.

However to the other poster, definitely can't say it's working "as intended".

Yes I can and I did. Describe the problem more clearly and I won't answer that way.

honespc
11-10-2017, 18:57
Yeah they didn't fix this issue.

I'm starting to wonder whether this bug is all about the different operative systems the game has to work on.

skipptg
11-10-2017, 18:59
Further - did qualifying on slicks, pole natch :p, straight into race without touching setup menu and now I'm on wets!

Is that as intended too? Tyres not set to auto with weather either.

Fight-Test
11-10-2017, 19:00
Nope

Load saved setup and it doesnt stick. You have to save it again to stick

Don't know what to tell you man. User error maybe. It's pretty simple and works every time.

skipptg
11-10-2017, 19:01
Except it clearly doesn't - watch the video I posted!

Bealdor
11-10-2017, 19:02

I told you the reason why it doesn't work for you here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55057-Patch-2-Setup-still-not-sticking&p=1391847&viewfull=1#post1391847). ;)

Fight-Test
11-10-2017, 19:03

Your using save over existing which doesn't work right now

RoccoTTS
11-10-2017, 19:06
Further - did qualifying on slicks, pole natch :p, straight into race without touching setup menu and now I'm on wets!

Is that as intended too? Tyres not set to auto with weather either.

Don't know if it is, but i always check my setup before race. I need different setup for race anyway.

Jezza819
11-10-2017, 19:10

Is this just a PC issue or if you're trying to have multiple setups per car? Because on Xbox One I've always used the "overwrite current one" whenever I've made changes and they have stuck. But then again I'm only using one setup per car.

jimortality
11-10-2017, 19:11

See here.

Hi Tim

Bealdor
11-10-2017, 19:12
Is this just a PC issue or if you're trying to have multiple setups per car? Because on Xbox One I've always used the "overwrite current one" whenever I've made changes and they have stuck. But then again I'm only using one setup per car.

Most likely a "having multiple setups for one car" issue. I doubt that it's platform specific.

Mon Pavion
11-10-2017, 19:20
I guess in the end it doesnt even matter because when I tune a FR car in private testing, save the setup, then go to my FR career race the game thinks I am in an Indy car and will only let me load setups I have saved for Indy cars...which is zero...since I havent saved any indy setups yet.

honespc
11-10-2017, 19:23
Is this just a PC issue or if you're trying to have multiple setups per car? Because on Xbox One I've always used the "overwrite current one" whenever I've made changes and they have stuck. But then again I'm only using one setup per car.It's a PC only issue. That's why I said this might be related to file management on different operative systems, of course caused by a bug in the game, not the OP at fault here. But I think the mess might be because of that.

skipptg
11-10-2017, 19:26
Don't know if it is, but i always check my setup before race. I need different setup for race anyway.

I just did the next race in the career and noticed when you move to Race it pre-loads an entirely different setup to the one you had one.

Setups is a mess. Still. Despite the patch notes suggesting they'd attended to it. Real shame and quite fundamental to the game I'd have thought. I'm sure they'll get it right eventually.

honespc
11-10-2017, 20:07
So in short. On each session you have to re-reload your previous saved setup, for then after just making a couple of tiny changes, save it again in another space, for the re-reload it.

Yes it is that tedious. It's that Genius of a system isnt it

NaRP
11-10-2017, 20:22

First race at RedbullGP with Porsche GT3R. Old setup for Brno loaded, so i decided to load Stable setup SMS for RedBullGP. Setup load Completed.

But, if i come back to Start Race and enter enter in Setup Menu, the loaded setup is "old setup for Brno".

Please Correct this Problem !

cmd8
11-10-2017, 20:29
yeah, i have the same problem on Xbox one. whatever car i pick and start driving with and the setup i choose, it sticks with that one no matter what car i pick next or track i pick.

Danelite86
11-10-2017, 20:34
its a bug that's not fixed yet. its sad but what's new.

rosko
11-10-2017, 20:35
Its a clunky design imo.

honespc
11-10-2017, 20:47
Certainly, the same guy who once thought Harvard class S personnel only pc1 ffb menu would make for some fun stuff for everybody, must have also been involved in pc2 setup system. The setup section issues can drive anyone just as insane as the old ffb menu screen could too.

This needs urgent fixing. Seriously. I was also thinking this would be priority one fix in the patch, like almost everybody else. Naive me

ShneebnaMRR108
11-10-2017, 22:32
I can save new every time, practice, Qual, all good, then into race and every time it’s not the right settings.

DarrenM
11-10-2017, 23:06
Very disappointing that this wasn't fixed. Setups are pretty fundamental to a sim.

torsteinvh
11-10-2017, 23:43
Saving setups seem to work OK for me (PS4) but as soon as I save a setup under a new name, I cannot longer load the default Stable or Loose setups. They are gone from the list and only my own setup is listed. Is this Expected behaviour?

satco1066
12-10-2017, 00:03
i don't know how it looks on a PS4.
On PC i have 2 boxes , one for tracks left and one for setups on the right side.
In the tracks box on the left, there is a list with all tracks with saved setups and an " All tracks" entry. When i select "All Tracks" i see the Loose and Stable and the shared setups i got from friends.
When i select one of the specific tracks , i see all my self made / saved setups in the list.
Hope that helps.

All Tracks - FA

Sakitto - FA

torsteinvh
12-10-2017, 00:23
Thanks, it works like that on the PS4 as well. The problem was that the selection highlight is practically invisible in HDR mode, so I couldn’t see that I had actually selected ‘All tracks’ or one specific track. I turned off HDR, and the menu selection is a lot more visible.

F2kSel
12-10-2017, 02:21
If they can't fix "save over existing setup" then dump it and remove the confusion.

Also what's the point of the "continue" button after loading and saving a file. There's no other option but to continue or wait forever.
it just needs to let you know it's worked with a simple pop up and move on, stop it with all the endless redundant clicks.

ShneebnaMRR108
12-10-2017, 13:37
Saving set ups is just like posting here over and over, you never get the right answers.

Tepp
12-10-2017, 13:55
Saving setups is like a Quest! You need to know the right sequence ... :)

ShneebnaMRR108
12-10-2017, 14:39
Please explain your sequence so I can try it. THX

Tbolt
12-10-2017, 14:53
If they can't fix "save over existing setup" then dump it and remove the confusion.

Also what's the point of the "continue" button after loading and saving a file. There's no other option but to continue or wait forever.
it just needs to let you know it's worked with a simple pop up and move on, stop it with all the endless redundant clicks.

I have no idea why they added that, maybe they though we didn't have enough boxes to click on ;)

Tbolt
12-10-2017, 14:55
i don't know how it looks on a PS4.
On PC i have 2 boxes , one for tracks left and one for setups on the right side.
In the tracks box on the left, there is a list with all tracks with saved setups and an " All tracks" entry. When i select "All Tracks" i see the Loose and Stable and the shared setups i got from friends.
When i select one of the specific tracks , i see all my self made / saved setups in the list.
Hope that helps.

All Tracks - FA

Sakitto - FA

Except when the sim loses your setup it also loses all those tracks listed on the left - there's nothing there at all ( except All Tracks with the default setups ). The only way to fix is to exit the tuning menu and go back in, then they all appear.

Tbolt
12-10-2017, 14:57
I can save new every time, practice, Qual, all good, then into race and every time itís not the right settings.

Before you go to race are you going to the tuning menu and checking the right setup is loaded? That's what I do every time and load it if it's gone back to the default.

ShneebnaMRR108
12-10-2017, 15:00
Thanks for the info above. But I don't have issues with saving, just can't get any save to load to the car at "race" time. Practice and qual are ok.

wadafaka
13-10-2017, 11:44
It's clear to me that the current system (bug or intended) does not function properly...

If I go start a race I expect the amount of fuel in my setup to be the same as it is in my car. Why do I have to go into setup SAVE it yet again without changing anything before the settings are applied? Makes no sense whatsoever.

GenBrien
13-10-2017, 11:46
Thanks, it works like that on the PS4 as well. The problem was that the selection highlight is practically invisible in HDR mode, so I couldn’t see that I had actually selected ‘All tracks’ or one specific track. I turned off HDR, and the menu selection is a lot more visible.

thx will try that
though that the left menu was not working at all

edit: how do you switch it off?
slider all to the left?

skipptg
13-10-2017, 12:00
I think we can all agree setup is broken and not very intuitive from a user experience point of view. Well apart from that rude guy at the start of this thread.

For me it really ruins the game, and I was disappointed that it wasn't fixed in Patch 2.0 even though they did work on setup.

However, my priorities are not necessarily on the critical path of development, so I will just have to suck it up and enjoy the bits of the game (a large part of it to be fair) which *are* fantastic. And not whine like an entitled little bitch. And stick pins in my Ian Bell voodoo doll everytime I roll out of the pits with the wrong tyres or pressures in them :)