PDA

View Full Version : Kart career frustration

Lipti
11-10-2017, 21:22
Am I the only one who gets frustrated by the kart career in ProjectCARS 2? I loved driving karts in ProjectCARS 1, and for me it's the logical beginning of any driver career. That's why I always start such a career beginning with karts instead of directly advancing to better classes. I'm driving with full damage enabled, for me it's the only real driving experience with damages enabled.

In ProjectCARS 2, I'm not able to advance in my career:

kart tends to spin around, much more than I would expect (I've driven real karts but not at these high speeds, maybe it's realistic at such speeds?)
braking is very difficult (I know braking too hard would result in losing control but in my opinion the kart spins around too easy)
AI difficulty setting either not working or not scaling to kart behavior (driving more carefully to avoid spinning around - see above - results in being overtaken not later than in lap 3 ... with AI difficulty set to "0"!)
severe damages or wheels falling off when driving more aggressive to encounter being overtaken (feels like it's been improved in patch 2.0 but maybe I'm wrong)

GenBrien
11-10-2017, 21:28
-skip kart for now
-lower AI until you'll win
-start a new career
-wait for fix

davidt33
14-10-2017, 14:56
(On PS4) Just came off Formula Rookie in Career and decided to try the other category of which Karts was the first class and was having some problems myself which seems to be a bug. I loaded setups in Tuning/Edit, chose "Stable" default tune and changed tyres to "Slick" as the weather was "Clear" and saved to new slot accordingly. As Lipti said the traction is awful, not what it should be, but here's the stopper:
I race with a wheel (G29), manual gear changing via paddles as selected gear changer. But as the first race started (there's no Practice round) the gears would not change at all, remaining on gear 1. Just would not change from 1 to higher regardless. No issue gear changing with other cars and tracks so far, just this Kart category. Is this a bug not only re traction but also manual gears? (I'm using of course the Logitech G29 wheel).

@GenBrien you advised to skip Kart for now but how to proceed to do that as when I exit the race and go to Career again to "Continue Career" it doesn't allow me to by-pass the Kart rounds to select the next event with other category of cars. The selection button for next category of cars is unlocked but doesn't allow me to load that next section to by-pass Karts. Help please.

Keena
14-10-2017, 15:03
There's only 1 gear in the karts. ;)

davidt33
14-10-2017, 15:08
There's only 1 gear in the karts. ;)

Seriously? That's strange as I swear from what I recall there were more gears in Pcars1 for Karts, at least 3 gears if my memory serves me right.

Keena
14-10-2017, 15:20
I'm away from my pc at the moment so I can't check or remember, so I might be mistaken- if you go in the setup screen how many gears are listed? I'd like to know actually as well, as my earlier response may not be correct.

Mahjik
14-10-2017, 15:56
AI difficulty setting either not working or not scaling to kart behavior (driving more carefully to avoid spinning around - see above - results in being overtaken not later than in lap 3 ... with AI difficulty set to "0"!)

SMS is looking at the AI scaling and seeing what they can improve in this area for a future patch.

Seriously? That's strange as I swear from what I recall there were more gears in Pcars1 for Karts, at least 3 gears if my memory serves me right.

Yes. PC1 had shifter karts. PC2 does not.

davidt33
14-10-2017, 16:40
.....Yes. PC1 had shifter karts. PC2 does not.

Ok that figures now. My memory regarding gears then was related to shifter karts. I may not have recalled or noticed previously there were certain karts that didn't have multiple gears.
Glad to know at least it wasn't a gears bug or that my wheel was going bonkers. Cheers.

sifupooh
14-10-2017, 19:16
no u are not. it's a handful. sounded and felt like g29 wheel was going to break on summerton nat. had to lower gain to at most 50 on immersive flavour. didn't bother to test other flavours

CassielLight
14-10-2017, 20:01
You aren't the only one having trouble with karts. Glencairn GP is just about un-driveable. Using assists slows you down so much that the AI can embarrass you down on zero, and trying to handle the opening hill section with a gamepad and no assists is just about guaranteed to give you an epic case of autoalopecia.

I actually started an alt over on Formula Rookie, and he's doing okay. Thomas Anderson, American, initials NEO. ;)

HLR Toffo
14-10-2017, 21:17
Personally i loved the karts.

Just because your going slowly doesn't mean you shouldn't brake or observe normal racing techniques.

Drive them like any other formula car, heavy initial brake, avoid high kerbs, dont un balance them. Then master the trail brake and you'll be fine.

marcoma
14-10-2017, 21:29
Its all about the number of AI you choose. Try custom race with 5 opponents and you'll have a good race. At least on xbox one thats what fixes it for me.

davidt33
15-10-2017, 00:45
Decided to have a go at the Karts in Career again since I'd already started. Jesus Christ that was quite a chore. Traction and general handling is just so bad. It was so much better in Pcars1. In pcars2 it's so loose. After many quits during races and restarts I finally was able to complete and won the first 4/4 championships at full session but man talk about cuss. Now I have to go through another Kart championship. Lord put a hand. I think I'll tackle that tomorrow and choose the short sessions instead. I just want to finish with the karts and don't ever want to race them again unless the handling with karts and tracks are fixed hopefully in some future patch update. it really was no joy.

Mahjik
15-10-2017, 01:36
Traction and general handling is just so bad. It was so much better in Pcars1. In pcars2 it's so loose.

Just FYI, during WMD2, there was a member who races these competitively that was involved. In his opinion, the PC2 kart is much improved compared to PC1 (not to mention he provided some of his race setup information). He was highly critical of the karts in PC1. That doesn't mean the karts in PC1 weren't fun the drive though...

AEIDOLONE
15-10-2017, 02:43
I have been driving karts IRL very often lately... Man, they are so easy to drive. The grip is soo strong and they rarely lose traction or spin, actually.

In pCARS2 they spin like fidget spinners. :D

:nonchalance:

JKF011
15-10-2017, 04:25
Ok. I am a long suffering racing sim driver, 57 yrs old and, really, don't know squat about computers (PC version here) and dpnt want top know. I want to race but race at least fairly realistically. I also really struggle without a manual or intuitive Human-Machine-Interface (HMI). which, so far, the ProjectCars2 interface is super not strong in HMI.

So I am racing the Karts to start. I kinda expect the car to be hard to drive (surprised there is no progression to shifter Karts) and I have it set to full damage (hate unrealistic damage models - one should PAY for one's mistakes shouldn't one?) and I see "Severa Damage" on the HUD almost immediately. Near as this Noob can tell though it drives fine until...BAM!...I hit or get hit by another driver and one, or more, of my wheels fall off. Often the car just sit in the grass unable to get anywhere (understandable). But what is completely not understandable or acceptable is that the race goes on, ends, and me and any other drivers just sit there presumably forever and don't get retired or cant retire manually (like in the real world I'd just get out of my car and that would be that). Explain/help?

davidt33
15-10-2017, 11:39
Just FYI, during WMD2, there was a member who races these competitively that was involved. In his opinion, the PC2 kart is much improved compared to PC1 (not to mention he provided some of his race setup information). He was highly critical of the karts in PC1. That doesn't mean the karts in PC1 weren't fun the drive though...
Perhaps he was basing his opinion testing or racing on PC as opposed to PS4. I'd pretty much take a bet on that.

I have been driving karts IRL very often lately... Man, they are so easy to drive. The grip is soo strong and they rarely lose traction or spin, actually.

Exactly.

PervasiveFall8
15-10-2017, 13:14
I found the karts to be open to rotation on decel. Didnít seem to be a way to increase locking so the way I go around this was to keep throttle applied whil braking. You keep 10-30% (not full) and I lessen throttle for more turn in and keep more for less turn in.

Hope that helps someone. It take a bit of getting use to but once you have it, it works pretty well

Havenít done karts after patch. So not sure if they are different but I did karts 3 times in career prior to patch and actually enjoyed them after using throttle technique to counter open decel diff

Though I miss the shifter and super karts of PC1 :(

Lilfurbal
17-10-2017, 16:32
I actually loved the kart career, so much so that I ended up doing it twice (both different paths). I am using a wheel though. My only complaint is that I don't like the way the game's soft lock with a wheel works or feels, it tends to forcibly spring the wheel back within the steering range. Due to the karts very small turning radius the karts were hard to control at full lock since you don't feel the soft lock in any regard, but when you go slightly too far a strong spring effect kicks in and throws the steering wheel in the opposite direction. It's difficult to effective drive at full lock. I had to put in extra focus to not reach full lock, and when I got used to that it is quite fun.

Don't know how to make my soft lock issues better though, using a thrustmaster ts-pc racer on pc. I'd prefer to have no physical lock if it means it gets rid of the violent spring back effect. There's no settings for this anywhere that I can find.

GRTfast
17-10-2017, 19:35
The karts in PC2 pale in comparison to the PC1 karts, especially since there are no shifterkarts. Overall I love PC2, but the omission of shifters is a huge mistake IMHO.

xtro
17-10-2017, 19:39
I just finished the career championship with karts and won... and I actually had a lot of fun... but I wasted 2 hours finding the correct wheel settings for them. Karts only work with the RAW Ffb flavor.. otherwise Ffb on them doesn't make any sense. Trail break to keep the revs high enough in corners and sliding them is a lot of fun

iggy
23-10-2017, 13:25
Sorry, I'm mostly new to project cars, and have only ever used it on a Playstation... I bought PC1, but didn't use it much, car selection and such seemed pale in comparison to Gran Turismo ... But anyway...

I bought Project Cars 2, after being rather disappointed with GT sport's campaign mode... Only now, I am struggling very badly to have a satisfying experience in Project Cars career mode. I first tried Formula Rookie, I'm running like 12 seconds off the pace with out of the box setup... So , then I try the Kart career path, and find the first kart driving experience to be 10 times more frustrating than the Formula Rookie..

I'm on PS4, with Logitec G29... going around a corner at anything but a snails pace is making the steering shudder, shake, rattle, etc... When i do get going at a modestly faster pace, I have to hold on tight and drive very very cautiously... Surely it can't REALLY be this freaking hard to get up to speed. I don't know if I'm just nuts or , what...

While I'm not like the worlds most fastest driver in RL or simulator, I know I'm better that I can do on PC2 at this time, and the whole Kart thing , is just insane....

Please I need help... I don't know if this is just some really crazy bad bug in this , or if my wheel setup is just wrong, or what... If it weren't for the fact that PC2 obviously has some incredibly amazing potential, I'd have freaking tossed this game in the trash by now...

Tell me I'm not crazy and tell me what to do , please....

Lipti
23-10-2017, 16:54

You are not crazy, I'm experiencing exactly the same problems.

If you want to start your career with Kart like me, your only possibility is to wait for a patch which fixes the problem. This is the thing I do, in the meantime I'm enjoying GT Sport.

davidt33
23-10-2017, 16:57
Sorry, I'm mostly new to project cars, and have only ever used it on a Playstation... I bought PC1, but didn't use it much, car selection and such seemed pale in comparison to Gran Turismo ... But anyway...

I bought Project Cars 2, after being rather disappointed with GT sport's campaign mode... Only now, I am struggling very badly to have a satisfying experience in Project Cars career mode. I first tried Formula Rookie, I'm running like 12 seconds off the pace with out of the box setup... So , then I try the Kart career path, and find the first kart driving experience to be 10 times more frustrating than the Formula Rookie..

I'm on PS4, with Logitec G29... going around a corner at anything but a snails pace is making the steering shudder, shake, rattle, etc... When i do get going at a modestly faster pace, I have to hold on tight and drive very very cautiously... Surely it can't REALLY be this freaking hard to get up to speed. I don't know if I'm just nuts or , what...

While I'm not like the worlds most fastest driver in RL or simulator, I know I'm better that I can do on PC2 at this time, and the whole Kart thing , is just insane....

Please I need help... I don't know if this is just some really crazy bad bug in this , or if my wheel setup is just wrong, or what... If it weren't for the fact that PC2 obviously has some incredibly amazing potential, I'd have freaking tossed this game in the trash by now...

Yup. The Kart career is the devil. Was so glad to get over that and never want to do another kart race again.
I started with the Formula Rookie also as you and it was a bitc... and then I went to The Karts.

Race 4/4, the championship round, of Formula Rookie was in Ruapuna Park Club and at the time was set in the season of Winter. Could never get any good traction on the track. This was before Patch 2.0. In Patch 2.0 it seems they addressed the issue and did away with that championship round 4/4 being in Winter and then I was able to complete and eventually win.

iggy
23-10-2017, 17:40
Well, at this point, I have virtually no chance of getting up to the top three, I'd be extremely lucky if I could do any better then last place with these Karts ( or for that matter Formula Rookie ). The karts are , just wacky, it can't possibly be the way they are supposed to drive.

What were all these car games , like so much of a hurry to get out that they released them full of bugs? It seems odd to me , that there are bugs that are so disruptive to game play.

Eric Everfast
23-10-2017, 17:57
Proper karts are very twitchy IRL; minimal steering input is all the more important. If your wheel is up to 45 degrees off center for any type of corner you're doing it wrong - and that much of an angle is being quite generous in most situations. The ffb must be very difficult to simulate given how visceral it is to drive one.

poumpoum
23-11-2017, 11:01
Did someone find a way to "enjoy" the kart ? I'm not judging the physics as I'm not an expert (even if I've already driven karts and I drive regularly my race car on tracks) but the feeling doesn't seem "right".

I'm using a CSL Elite PS4, with the stock settings (RAW feeling and other parameters). I tried to move the volume cursor from 0 to 50 but I'm still not happy with the feeling, I can't feel the kart sliding or losing traction. I'm still able to go fast but I don't feel anything ! Does someone have find a force feedback settings that make the experience feels much better ?

dQUIM
23-11-2017, 11:20
Karts in both PC1 and PC2 are tough!

Glencairn is especially hard with all its undulations. Summerton, by comparison, is the easiest of the kart tracks in my opinion. It's also my favourite of the fictional Kart tracks.

LimonadaMatadora
23-11-2017, 12:32
Give it some time, I guess. I'm a casual sim racer and managed to win two championships in career mode, so it's not impossible (I'm very average in terms of skill). I was playing in 50% difficulty and 50% agression, since it was my first experience with the game. Mostly used the default setups and I have a G27 (guess I've softned the rear a little? Don't remember well). Maybe lower the difficulty if you can't keep the pace. The only bugs I've faced was the HUD saying that I had "severe damage" all the time (the car wasn't damaged, it was only the HUD) and in Glencairn, AI went nuts and all cars spun out and crashed in the first two laps. Finished the race alone :p

My first tries were traumatizing, barely cound take any corner without spinning. I've kept trying for about a hour and slowly got the hang of those little beasts. It have little grip in the rear tires and it's very easy to disturb it's balance, but as others said, it's the same principles of other cars. Be very careful with lift-off oversteer, so be gradual when releasing the accelerator or brakes. Sharply releasing the brakes and turning hard soon after is suicide. Be very smooth with the wheel and pay lots of attention on entry speed, since it's not easy to countersteer them successfully mid-curve. It's better to use throttle steering and keep wheel movement to a minimum if you can.

And avoid all contacts. Those little wheels can't stand any touch, even the road cones can destroy them. It's a good practice to clean racing, though.

rcnavigated76
23-11-2017, 12:33
If no one posts first once home tonight I will post setting. I played with set up and found the karts actually awesome and a lot of fun. I’m using a g29. So far out of lmp3, rookie formula, gt3, and gt4 career paths this has been my favorite. Should be around 9-10 pm central time.

Eric Everfast
23-11-2017, 15:17
They got it right; they're not hard to drive if you know how karts behave. Playing with a controller here.

AEIDOLONE
23-11-2017, 16:11
They got it right; they're not hard to drive if you know how karts behave. Playing with a controller here.

Than it's obvious you have never driven a kart IRL.

Mahjik
23-11-2017, 16:13

You might take a look at his profile pic....

AEIDOLONE
23-11-2017, 16:15
You might take a look at his profile pic....

If I set my profile with a picture of a fight jet it doesn't mean I fly one.

Eric Everfast
23-11-2017, 16:18

I'm in a rotax max mounted kart from May to October for a couple hours every 2 weeks. I'll trust my own judgement on this one.

Eric Everfast
23-11-2017, 16:26

So what type of karts have you been driving?

AEIDOLONE
23-11-2017, 16:28
I'm in a rotax max mounted kart from May to October for a couple hours every 2 weeks. I'll trust my own judgement on this one.

How do you drive that kart? With a controller?

Ok, I'm kidding...I don't want to create tension here. You're right. The handling of the kart in-game behaves exactly like IRL.

Eric Everfast
23-11-2017, 16:43
How do you drive that kart? With a controller?

Ok, I'm kidding...I don't want to create tension here. You're right. The handling of the kart in-game behaves exactly like IRL.

We're all playing a game here. If the feel of a kart were to be implemented with controller inputs, I feel like it's pretty intuitive and true to the dynamics of driving one IRL. If you're driving simple rental karts with bumpers and honda engines pushing 6 to 9 hp, of course you're not going to find that the dynamics are the same. You can slide those things around and countersteer easily. The same can't be said when you have an engine pushing 30 hp with a competitive chassis weighing much less than your typical arrive and drive karts.

poumpoum
23-11-2017, 22:03
Once again, I'm not judging the physics but only the feedback I get on the wheel.

I can be quick that's not the problem but I don't feel / understand anything about what the kart is doing !

Eric Everfast
24-11-2017, 05:27
If it can help anyone that's having difficulty and that has trouble feeling what the kart is doing, always pay close attention to the sound of tire scrub and brake lock up. Slowly release the brake if this happens and be minimal with your steering inputs. If you're prone to spinning out, give it a slight touch of gas right before you steer into a corner and right after you fully release the brake (you'll have to start braking earlier for this which is probably what many of you need to start doing anyways). The goal is to not have any throttle input in a straight line after you brake for a corner but it will at least help in stabilising the kart by shifting some weight back to the rears before entry. Once your braking technique is sound you won't have to touch the throttle before entry; you'll be able to turn in without any snap oversteer.

gj_ozracer
24-11-2017, 06:37
From my experience that kart handling is pretty close.
They are a lot of fun to drive once you understnd how they work.
These handle pretty close to the Sprint Karts I've raced with.

Yes the wheel is extemely direct and you must learn how to use accelerator and brake together, to compensate for the understeer, when you are powering into a corner.
Just throw them around thats how they like to be driven! :)

Lipti
07-12-2017, 18:16
My experience with patch 3.01 so far: Karts driving experience hugely improved, BUT:
- "Schwerer Schaden" (severe damage) shown from the beginning of the race
- no damage, no matter what I do! (yes, damage is enabled in the options)
I hope, I don't have to wait weeks like before these newly introduced bugs are fixed.