PDA

View Full Version : A Thank You

sifupooh
11-10-2017, 21:26
Just got the game, and calibrated wheel and pedals. Before I actually play the game, I needed to say thank you to SMS. In the past, I was almost involved in a serious auto accident. I say almost because from playing PC1 with a wheel and pedal I was enabled to make quick emotionally desensitized decisions/actions behind the wheel and avoided utter disaster. Cheers!

Mon Pavion
12-10-2017, 05:49
I wasnt so lucky. The end of this month on the 21st marks my 9 year anniversary of getting hit head on by a drunk driver at about 50mph. Shattered both my ankles real bad and broke my right tibula and fibula. Im 37 and have the arthritis of someone in their 70s or 80s now. But i survived.

The woman drove right into me. Had just enough time to curse, stand on the brake pedal, and stiffen every bone and joint in my body. So basically the exact opposite of everything you are supposed to do in a situation like that. It happened so incredibly fast.

The driver went to jail for 5 years. Wasnt hurt, nor were her two small children she had in the back seat. Her B.A.C was a .38. Thats very high for anyone who doesnt know.

Moral of the story? Dont drive drunk.

Oh yeah...and did i mention she didn't have insurance? So happy about that.

Eric Everfast
12-10-2017, 05:58
I wasnt so lucky. The end of this month on the 21st marks my 9 year anniversary of getting hit head on by a drunk driver at about 50mph. Shattered both my ankles real bad and broke my right tibula and fibula. Im 37 and have the arthritis of someone in their 70s or 80s now. But i survived.

The woman drove right into me. Had just enough time to curse, stand on the brake pedal, and stiffen every bone and joint in my body. So basically the exact opposite of everything you are supposed to do in a situation like that. It happened so incredibly fast.

The driver went to jail for 5 years. Wasnt hurt, nor were her two small children she had in the back seat. Her B.A.C was a .38. Thats very high for anyone who doesnt know.

Moral of the story? Dont drive drunk.

Oh yeah...and did i mention she didn't have insurance? So happy about that.

Yikes. Glad you came out of it despite having arthritis. A mother driving drunk while having her kids in the back... I don't have the words for how senseless that is.

pa_pinkelman
12-10-2017, 06:45
Sorry to hear that Mon Pavion.

Years of driving Gpl saved me and my family from a crash years ago. When a sharp right-hander surprised me when doing 120 km/hour. Saved the car pure on instincts.

Mon Pavion
12-10-2017, 18:54
Yikes. Glad you came out of it despite having arthritis. A mother driving drunk while having her kids in the back... I don't have the words for how senseless that is.

Yeah, its hard to understand. I mean, she was an alcoholic. I get that. I have since forgiven her for what she did because of that. But I have always been raised to never blame people for their mistakes, but DO ask that they pay for them or do whatever they can to make things right and she really did none of that. I was left with permanent and chronic issues in both my legs that will only get worse as I get older, AND HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars worth of medical debt even after the uninsured motorist policy I had on my car paid out the max (500k). So of course I can not pay those bills and many of them went into default which ruined my credit. 9 years later and I am still trying to repair it. I got it back up to just "ok" now. I had nearly perfect credit before the accident.

The list goes on and on.

To top it all off the few times I had to go to court and I saw her there she had this arrogant, condescending attitude like we were "bothering" her with this. A few times she was actually snickering when the judge was reading her the riot act of all the damage she caused with her actions. Which is why she got the maximum 5 years in prison I think.

In the end I came to the realization that it doesn't pay to sit around being all pissed off about something I can't really control. Its the hand I was dealt. So I let all that crap go.

The accident did make me hyper aware of everything around me now when I am driving though. Its still a little hard for me to drive at night, especially on little two lane roads without much of a dividing line. To me, every pair of oncoming headlights look like they are in my lane. Makes me nervous.

Konan
12-10-2017, 19:19
I really admire your state of mind mate...couldn't do it myself to be honest...

Eric Everfast
13-10-2017, 05:52
Yeah, its hard to understand. I mean, she was an alcoholic. I get that. I have since forgiven her for what she did because of that. But I have always been raised to never blame people for their mistakes, but DO ask that they pay for them or do whatever they can to make things right and she really did none of that. I was left with permanent and chronic issues in both my legs that will only get worse as I get older, AND HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars worth of medical debt even after the uninsured motorist policy I had on my car paid out the max (500k). So of course I can not pay those bills and many of them went into default which ruined my credit. 9 years later and I am still trying to repair it. I got it back up to just "ok" now. I had nearly perfect credit before the accident.

The list goes on and on.

To top it all off the few times I had to go to court and I saw her there she had this arrogant, condescending attitude like we were "bothering" her with this. A few times she was actually snickering when the judge was reading her the riot act of all the damage she caused with her actions. Which is why she got the maximum 5 years in prison I think.

In the end I came to the realization that it doesn't pay to sit around being all pissed off about something I can't really control. Its the hand I was dealt. So I let all that crap go.

The accident did make me hyper aware of everything around me now when I am driving though. Its still a little hard for me to drive at night, especially on little two lane roads without much of a dividing line. To me, every pair of oncoming headlights look like they are in my lane. Makes me nervous.

Good on you for not letting her lack of respect get under your skin. It goes to show how much more maturity you have over somebody like that. It's beyond frustrating that this hasn't only caused physical problems but credit problems as well.

Interesting that sim racing is a hobby of yours and forgive me if I'm potentially associating 2 unrelated things but I'm curious to know... did you pick up the sim racing gig after the accident happened?

TheGoodLife
13-10-2017, 12:17
I think a lot of folks lose sight of the passion that goes into making a racer, so saying “Thank you” is surely appreciated by the team. I’ve also learned a lot from games such as Project CARS 2. Recently, I avoided an accident by recognizing what I needed to do so my brakes wouldn’t lock up and/or spin out, and all of this taking place in a few seconds, of course.

Mon Pavion
13-10-2017, 19:26
Good on you for not letting her lack of respect get under your skin. It goes to show how much more maturity you have over somebody like that. It's beyond frustrating that this hasn't only caused physical problems but credit problems as well.

Interesting that sim racing is a hobby of yours and forgive me if I'm potentially associating 2 unrelated things but I'm curious to know... did you pick up the sim racing gig after the accident happened?

On no...I really got hooked into sim racing games when I was young. First one i remember playing a lot was Indycar Racing by Papyrus. 1993 I think?

In this case it was just so fast that I didn't think. It was like I blinked and BOOM...headlights right in front of me. I didn't think to let go of the wheel, go limp, and let the unavoidable accident happen. I just stiffened up.

I wish life had a flashback button sometimes. But it did give me a new perspective on how quickly RL race drivers have to think and react when out on the track. Super Human talent sometimes.

Mon Pavion
13-10-2017, 19:27
In fact...i'm actually surprised I didnt break both my arms too. The impact collapsed the steering wheel.