PDA

View Full Version : Colder weather

Dave81983
11-10-2017, 21:50
Hi,

I race mostly GT3 and I've done a few online races where the time of year has been spring and the track temp is therefore much colder. To me the difference in grip level in the Ferrari 488 GT3 is ridiculous. In summer it feels like a race car with downforce and grippy tyres (as it should) but as soon as the weather is anything but sunny in the summer this disappears to the point that the car is almost undriveable with loads of understeer and snap oversteer or unsaveable "floaty" oversteer. I get that it should be a bit slower but this much???

Do people agree and does anyone have any setup techniques to make the car work better in colder weather?

Dave.

BongoFury23
12-10-2017, 17:08
In general you can say that lower tire pressure heats up the tires more cause they flex more.

Zenzic
12-10-2017, 21:49
I just had this "issue" in career with the Lamborghini Super Trofeo at Road America. The race took place in the evening. Ambient and track temperatures were too low (while still above 20 degrees C.) for the hard tires to reach their optimal temperatures and barely got up to pressure. I switched to softs, managed to keep the tires heated and had a lot more grip - as you'd expect.

You can use the Pirelli table below as a starting point. It may not be applicable to every situation, but at least you can check whether the issues you're having with a certain compound are to be expected.

http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/ww/en/catalogue/motorsport/categories/circuit/advice_circuit_table/original/advice_circuit_table.png

Paulpg87
13-10-2017, 11:04
I just had this "issue" in career with the Lamborghini Super Trofeo at Road America. The race took place in the evening. Ambient and track temperatures were too low (while still above 20 degrees C.) for the hard tires to reach their optimal temperatures and barely got up to pressure. I switched to softs, managed to keep the tires heated and had a lot more grip - as you'd expect.

You can use the Pirelli table below as a starting point. It may not be applicable to every situation, but at least you can check whether the issues you're having with a certain compound are to be expected.

http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/ww/en/catalogue/motorsport/categories/circuit/advice_circuit_table/original/advice_circuit_table.png

we have also to considered that the AI should be affected in the same way which doesn't seem to be the case. This is a problem, in particular in extreme wet conditions or snow.

Rodgerzzz
13-10-2017, 12:09
Stick the softs on if it's cold! Compounds work differently in this game and are all about the temperature, softs work a lot more effectively at in cool weather but will still give the same performance as the Hards if they're running at optimal temperature.

D-Vibes
13-10-2017, 21:37
If you have a race with a track temperature of 20 degrees you can't use the hard tyre,
if you use the hard tyre, the car feels like you drive on snow..

with the soft tyre you can only drive 5-7 Rounds and then you get a terrible understeer.
In a race with 40 rounds you must change the tyres any 8 rounds, have to stop 5 times
and this is really unrealistic.

In my opinion the livetrack 3.0 is the greatest bull****
there is no info of a griplevel and you canīt race with the original date, in cold areas in autumn or winter.

the livetrack feature is senseless with this tyremodel

Ciccina2016
13-10-2017, 23:25
I have been starting to think it is buggy.
I have been facing the same issue with touring cars where actually the setup is more limited than gt3.

The 2012 BMW 320 TC (E90) on Silverstone ( autumn Track) is impossible to drive due to tyres not getting in temperature and you can't really adjust tyre pressure to fix the issue..

Paulpg87
14-10-2017, 14:38
Yes It is for sure. The tyre model Simply doesn't fit with the weather options available. In so many races it is impossible to heat tyres and the AI is not affected. They tried to get things too much sophisticated and nothing really works properly. I should have bought the game in january after 5 patches. Right now is only frustating.

Dave81983
14-10-2017, 15:05
It does worn much better in the cold with the soft tyres. I hadn't tried that so that is for the help. I'm not sure why the default tyre in GT3 is the hard tyre when it is so much more temperamental.