PDA

View Full Version : Please let us remove the avatar in Project CARS 2

keem85
12-10-2017, 07:15
SMS, please I beg you, let us remove the avatar without removing the rim. This is the racing title I've always wanted. It has everything I want in a racing title. In VR this is the best thing I have ever seen, and the best thing that have happened to me in simracing in a long time, and I'm sure PC2 will stick with me for many many years.. However, the virtual hands/avatar is really really distracting to me and some other users. It really interferes with my performance and immersion, as the virtual hands does not match with where I put my physical hands.. Maybe I'm the minority that wants to be able to remove avatar.. But please I beg you, if you could do that, I would be forever grateful.

I could see how new VR users would grow custom to how it already is, and not complain, because VR is new to them. Too much other things to focus on as a new VR user.. I've had VR for many many years, since the DK era, and thus I've grown very used to VR. And the one thing that still really puts me off is this virtual avatar that disconnects me from everything. Especially in rally and road cars with H-shifters.. I'm not sure if this is a difficult or easy task to implement, but I hope you will look in to it. For me personally, it changes everything.

TopAirspace
12-10-2017, 07:42
Are you talking about the driver being removed?

If so the driver can be removed in the game options.

Also if you move the bonnet camera (Ctrl+k) back into the cockpit then only the steering wheel will be displayed, you will just have to put up with some lower resolution shadows. Plus side is you'll probably pick up some more FPS ;)

keem85
12-10-2017, 07:53
You're missing the whole point. It's not possible to remove the avatar without the rim being removed too, no. That's why I'm making this post. :)

TopAirspace
12-10-2017, 08:05
You're missing the whole point. It's not possible to remove the avatar without the rim being removed too, no. That's why I'm making this post. :)

Ahh ok, then try the bonnet Cam hack i mentioned for now :p

satco1066
12-10-2017, 09:45
thats a really bad idea. There is much more immersion if you can see your virtual hands in VR.
That are no google cars , driven by magic :p
In RL you see your hands on the rim, why not in VR?

keem85
12-10-2017, 09:48
Bad idea? Look, I know what I'm talking about. Been simracing for many years since the DK era. Having no arms is much more immersive, where I can feel he rim and look at it at the same time. Have my hands exactly where I want them, and not having virtual hands lying to me on where my arms actually are. It's not a bad idea, it's a necessity for many people.

In RL you see your hands on the rim, why not in VR?
You have to read my original post. It is because the arms most of the time aren't 1:1. It creates disconnection.. If I have my right hand on my H-Shifter, and the left hand on the top of the rim, it creates a big disconnection.. If I only see the rim, and feel it, I know exactly where to put my hands, without having the virtual arms lying to me on where they are. That is the reason.

Khyber GT
12-10-2017, 13:26
having no arms is much more immersive? do you drive your car without your arms or something in real life?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/51876815/say-what.jpg

i would probably puke watching a spinning wheel with no arms on it in VR.

Tepp
12-10-2017, 13:35
It really interferes with my performance and immersion, as the virtual hands does not match with where I put my physical hands.

Lame 2/10? Relaxed 5/7? Maybe 1/11? Or steering with legs? ... :)

This is racing, dude, go for 3/9 !!! Or go to racing school.

keem85
12-10-2017, 13:38
What the hell. I'm expressing an opinion on some things I consider important. No need to make fun of it and discredit my plead to SMS.

keem85
12-10-2017, 13:41
Seriously, read before you comment.

PostBox981
12-10-2017, 13:44
As an option Iīd say it is acceptable. But me personally I want to see my arms exactly there. For me it is an immersion breaker to see the wheel magically spinning without anybody touching it. Currently immersion is that "bad" I even wanted to take a look at my watch and wondered why "my" arm didnīt move.

satco1066
12-10-2017, 13:44
i know many people using VR too. Started my self with a DK2 -> OSVR HMD -> CV1. But you are the first person i know that wants to drive w/o hands.
Also know one hardcore driver, grown together with his H-shifter. He drives really every car with it. FA, LMPs , whatever.
He would never turn off his hands when driving VR.
I think your MANY PEOPLE are just ONE. YOU.

surtic86
12-10-2017, 13:47
Then don't talk like it would be Immersive when it's not.

I can't image having in VR just the Steering Wheel without hands.. it would really distract me like in iRacing i had it first.

But i'm not against a new Option where you can Decide if you want or not.

keem85
12-10-2017, 13:47
I think your MANY PEOPLE are just ONE. YOU.

satco1066
12-10-2017, 13:48
As an option Iīd say it is acceptable. But me personally I want to see my arms exactly there. For me it is an immersion breaker to see the wheel magically spinning without anybody touching it. Currently immersion is that "bad" I even wanted to take a look at my watch and wondered why "my" arm didnīt move.

Put it in the proposal for pCars 3. Tags on every hand. Then you'll see your hand moving to Gearshifter, buttonbox, whatever.
The arm watch should show the real time then ;)

keem85
12-10-2017, 13:49
Then don't talk like it would be Immersive when it's not.

I can't image having in VR just the Steering Wheel without hands.. it would really distract me like in iRacing i had it first.

But i'm not against a new Option where you can Decide if you want or not.

I'm not talking about something being immersive when it's not. I have several friends playing AC with just the steering wheel without the avatar, because it's disconnecting.. No need for you guys to be so fucking rude. Just because I have another opinion than you.

m00lean
12-10-2017, 14:01
I second this request. I don't drive cars with H-shifter that much, so the arms are not a big issue for me (although i was very distracted by the animation the first times i saw it). For me the driver model itself is the issue. It looks way too slim and tiny. Almost like a body of a 10yo.
So I'd like an option to hide the driver model as well.

Khyber GT
12-10-2017, 15:14
I'm not talking about something being immersive when it's not. I have several friends playing AC with just the steering wheel without the avatar, because it's disconnecting.. No need for you guys to be so fucking rude.

strange

what's disconnecting is not seeing arms at all. dang ghost driving the car in vr. magical wheel turning all on it's own!

keem85
12-10-2017, 15:18
strange

what's disconnecting is not seeing arms at all. dang ghost driving the car in vr. magical wheel turning all on it's own!

I advise you to try it out in AC and see for yourself. Match the wheel perfectly with your physical wheel, and you'll feel much more free to put your hands other places on the wheel while drifting and rallying. I agree that arms are nice when driving F1 cars, but not drifting or rally where you're hands are all over the place.

Roger Prynne
12-10-2017, 15:35
Guy's it's his own opinion so let him have it, he's only asking for an option after all.
You might think it's strange but he doesn't, so less of the silly comments please.

Also keem85, I know your frustrated with some of the comments you got but there is no need for bad language.

Khyber GT
12-10-2017, 16:10
I advise you to try it out in AC and see for yourself. Match the wheel perfectly with your physical wheel, and you'll feel much more free to put your hands other places on the wheel while drifting and rallying. I agree that arms are nice when driving F1 cars, but not drifting or rally where you're hands are all over the place.

just no... i have no crazy disconnect like you do. the crazy disconnect would be seeing no human arms. arms on for me.

rosgillies
12-10-2017, 16:40
What the hell. I'm expressing an opinion on some things I consider important. No need to make fun of it and discredit my plead to SMS.

I agree mate, I like the arms there in VR but I respect your wish to remove them. Quite a reasonable request IMHO.

keem85
12-10-2017, 18:52
Guy's it's his own opinion so let him have it, he's only asking for an option after all.
You might think it's strange but he doesn't, so less of the silly comments please.

Also keem85, I know your frustrated with some of the comments you got but there is no need for bad language.

Hey. Did I have a bad language? I'm sorry, I was just pointing out very detailed why I prefer it that way, but it got ridiculed like I was the only one in the world wanting this option. When in reality all other racing sim titles I've tried have this option. And I'm very passionate about this game, and I really really want it to have this option for some cars because of my driving style.
Well, at least I hope it will be considered :)

Roger Prynne
12-10-2017, 18:54
Yes here..... http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55134-Please-let-us-remove-the-avatar-in-Project-CARS-2&p=1393220&viewfull=1#post1393220
But don't worry about it now.

Killg0re NL
12-10-2017, 19:23
Search on youtube 'rubber hand illusion' then you'll get an idea why he want the arms removed.

Its more or less a compliment about how good the game looks in VR.

Mad Al
12-10-2017, 20:06
Have to say I have given up on Dirt Rally in VR for the very reason it doesn't allow for the wheel to move with my arms and the only way to get wheel rotation right is to remove the arms and that just completely blows it for me...

but to each his own..

Maybe for PC3 we can have full hand tracking, stick the old touch controllers on the back of your hands .... of course you would then need to be able to adjust your wheel to be the same rim size and you would need shifters on both sides to accommodate left and right hand drive.. other than that, it sounds like a doddle to do ;)

3800racingfool
12-10-2017, 20:24
Have to say I have given up on Dirt Rally in VR for the very reason it doesn't allow for the wheel to move with my arms and the only way to get wheel rotation right is to remove the arms and that just completely blows it for me...

but to each his own..

Maybe for PC3 we can have full hand tracking, stick the old touch controllers on the back of your hands .... of course you would then need to be able to adjust your wheel to be the same rim size and you would need shifters on both sides to accommodate left and right hand drive.. other than that, it sounds like a doddle to do ;)

Better yet, TM/Fanatec/Logitech (or some new company) should come out with a "VR Wheel" with sensors in the wheel/shift knob that react to touch so that the game can just position the hands where-ever the wheel is being touched.

And FFB in the shifter so you can feel the transmission while shifting gears, and load cell pedals and... oh hell by the time Pcars 7 rolls around they'll just ship us an egg that we can sit inside and play and Pcars 8 will put us into the world of Tron.

longtings
12-10-2017, 20:55
I personally don't know anyone who plays sims with arms visible. I can understand if you're playing with a joypad or whatever but if you have a proper rig with a mathmatically correct FOV chances are you don't want to see fake arms as you can already see your own arms... same goes for the wheel, i don't want to see any of that as I can already see my own wheel perfectly positioned and in proportion to the rest of the cars interior.

Mad Al
12-10-2017, 21:05
I personally don't know anyone who plays sims with arms visible. I can understand if you're playing with a joypad or whatever but if you have a proper rig with a mathmatically correct FOV chances are you don't want to see fake arms as you can already see your own arms... same goes for the wheel, i don't want to see any of that as I can already see my own wheel perfectly positioned and in proportion to the rest of the cars interior.
Did you miss the point.. we are talking about in VR, you can't see YOUR wheel, only the virtual one.

Roger Prynne
12-10-2017, 21:13
Are we still debating and ribbing this guy, good grief guys get a grip.

keem85
12-10-2017, 21:31
Did you miss the point.. we are talking about in VR, you can't see YOUR wheel, only the virtual one.

Yeah. But the plus side is that you can feel your physical 900 degree physical wheel aswell as seeing the virtual rotate 1:1 without fake arms interfering. For me personally that is the closest to reality when racing and focusing on the road.. Without the fake arms waving in places where I do not have my own physical hands.. Some people like to have arms on all the time, others like it without. VR is so close to reality that these kind of opinions arises. Because the fact that we cannot see our own hands in VR yet, this becomes a serious topic.. And I think that every opinion regarding this should matter to devs.

kamkor
20-03-2018, 20:14
I completely agree with the author of this thread. To me, seeing virtual arms is really confusing when drifting because VR hands do not match my own. I absolutely prefer to see only the steering wheel in this case. In both LFS and Assetto I play in VR with only steering wheel visible.

Malcstar
21-03-2018, 00:26
I'm down for all kinds of options. Now I feel like trying it out.

simsimsheree
21-03-2018, 01:13
The weird thing is, after a few minutes of driving in VR, no matter where my hands actually are, my brain thinks they are where the game tells me they are..! It is very weird to take the helmet off and see them in a totally different place. But not distracting while I drive, just when I lift the helmet.

Wouldn't the solution to the OP be to set up the wheel in your rig to be EXACTLY where the game shows it..? Then there is no conflict between visual and kinesthetic experience?

belaki
21-03-2018, 12:08
The weird thing is, after a few minutes of driving in VR, no matter where my hands actually are, my brain thinks they are where the game tells me they are..! It is very weird to take the helmet off and see them in a totally different place. But not distracting while I drive, just when I lift the helmet.

Wouldn't the solution to the OP be to set up the wheel in your rig to be EXACTLY where the game shows it..? Then there is no conflict between visual and kinesthetic experience?

Nailed it. Your physical wheel should be, as precisely as possible, in correct dimensional correlation to the front of the virtual cockpit. The current 2D depiction of the wheel\dash combination isn't remotely accurate, and this is why Mixed Reality headsets will ultimately be a far superior solution to VR.

JMTC....

banner77amc
21-03-2018, 14:33
I agree that the VR option changes things. The option to remove hands from the wheel during that sounds like it would be helpful in immersion.

While driving without VR I am reminded consistently to put my hands back to position as a mimic of the visual in front of me.

kamkor
21-03-2018, 19:48

I don't think so. I can sympathise with the op because I also do a lot of VR drifting and rallying. When drifting, the virtual hands are doing completely different thing than your real hands and this makes me and the op feel disconnected from the sim. For some reason, having only steering wheel visible works really good when drifting.

See what happens with hands when drifting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGLPbkHYCls

And here's another technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLEk6sJyTEI

I can completely understand that for you it might be best to see virtual arms. But me and OP tried both in other sims - arms on and arms off - and for us it feels best to have only animated steering wheel visible, probably because we do a lot of drifting. Let's simply support both options, like in all other sims that I've tried in VR.