PDA

View Full Version : G29 or T300 RS?

Fly_in_fly_in
12-10-2017, 20:30
Hi all, I'm about to purchase a wheel for the first time and I'm looking at either a Logitech G29 or a Thrustmaster T300 RS. Have been reading lots of reviews but finding it hard to decide. Looking to hear people's opinions and experiences with these, as want to order asap and get racing! Also plan to use for Dirt Rally and other decent racers eventually, but mainly PC2 for now. TIA

dault3883
12-10-2017, 20:33
G29 every day of the week it has far more buttons to use as functions

jimortality
12-10-2017, 20:39
Lol T300 has far better ffb. I owned the G920 having come from a tx before and in my own very personal don't take it personally opinion, T300 wins hands down. If you want more buttons then..........

Diablo944
12-10-2017, 20:45
I prefer the feel of the t300 over the g29, but as I own a t300 that obviously adds some bias. But i am the first to admit that the g29 has far better pedals than the thrustmaster. I was one of those who felt logitech were a bit sly with the g29 as its basically just a g27 that works on a ps4. But at the same time the g27 was a good wheel.

Thrustmaster always get hit with the reliability comments too. Apparent quality control issues that hit a good few users. But equally there are more who dont have any concerns at all about theirs.

Pricewise the g29 wins all day long, the tm300 needs a decent pedal set to make things good.

sbtm
12-10-2017, 20:48
this is a no-brainer... T300 every time. G29 has inferior FFB gear-driven system while T300 has the more advanced belt-driven FFB. Also swappable rims and TH8A shifter for the T300. Thrustmaster has a better ecosystem across their wheels.

But I would consider the T300 GTE (with a Ferrari GTE replica wheel without the PS4 branded buttons).

I think you can also buy it with an alternative set of pedals now which includes a clutch pedal.

Jbpd
12-10-2017, 21:14
I use t300 with my old g25 pedals happy days!

John Hargreaves
12-10-2017, 21:57
I've had both and you wouldn't be disappointed with either one. I chose to keep the G29 but it was a very close decision. FFB is just different, I wouldn't say better on one or the other. G29 is quite a bit cheaper if you account for the better pedals you will end up buying for the T300. A lot of people will say T300>G29 but I had them both at the same time and it's not so clear cut imo.

dault3883
12-10-2017, 22:00
you can say the buttons dont matter all day long but when you see how many functions you have on the game having as many on the wheel within fingers reach is a godsend

Huge
12-10-2017, 22:13
I agree with John^

I have both. Both have pros and cons but I find the Thrustmaster force feedback better for Project Cars 2 and Dirt. As mentioned the pedals on the T300Rs are not the best (compared with the G29). I have also had connection issues on my G29.
If budget is not an issue I would go for the Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara Edition. If you are wanting to be a little budget conscious, the G29 may be a better option.

dault3883
12-10-2017, 22:20
I agree with John^

I have both. Both have pros and cons but I find the Thrustmaster force feedback better for Project Cars 2 and Dirt. As mentioned the pedals on the T300Rs are not the best (compared with the G29). I have also had connection issues on my G29.
If budget is not an issue I would go for the Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara Edition. If you are wanting to be a little budget conscious, the G29 may be a better option.

iv never had connection issues with my g29. what connection issues have you had

Huge
12-10-2017, 22:33
iv never had connection issues with my g29. what connection issues have you had

The wheel would not register at all and would just try and calibrate on start up (just spinning left to right and right to left). The work around was to flick the switch between ps3 and ps4 and then finally flick it to ps3 for it to work on my ps4. It is apparently a common issue. Unfortunately I bought the wheel second hand and therefore had no opportunity to undertake a warranty claim.

dault3883
12-10-2017, 22:42
The wheel would not register at all and would just try and calibrate on start up (just spinning left to right and right to left). The work around was to flick the switch between ps3 and ps4 and then finally flick it to ps3 for it to work on my ps4. It is apparently a common issue. Unfortunately I bought the wheel second hand and therefore had no opportunity to undertake a warranty claim.

iv never had that problem but i use my G29 on pc

moniker_a
12-10-2017, 22:58
I’ve been quite content with the g29, especially the pedals. I’ve never tried the T300, but the tipping point for me was the apparent reliability issues with Thrustmaster and the fact that I would have to spend more money for a decent set of pedals.

I should also mention that I added a ricmotech load cell to the brake after about a year of using them. Pretty nice mod.

hkraft300
12-10-2017, 23:06
If you can afford it: T300+ Pro pedals.
But for that money, why wouldn't you stretch it to a fanatec?

dault3883
12-10-2017, 23:07
If you can afford it: T300+ Pro pedals.
But for that money, why wouldn't you stretch it to a fanatec?

you use a G29 Hkraft LOL

LukeC
12-10-2017, 23:29
you can say the buttons dont matter all day long but when you see how many functions you have on the game having as many on the wheel within fingers reach is a godsend

Couldn't agree more. I have both the g29 and the t300 with the tp3 pro pedals and I use the g29 because of the buttons. Plus I don't find the ffb on the g29 to be that inferior to the t 300. For some reason I quite like the more "textured" feel of the g29. Plus I prefer the g29 pedals to the tp3 pros.

Come at me if you must.

hkraft300
12-10-2017, 23:41
you use a G29 Hkraft LOL

I know mate. So do I.

I'm just saying for the money you'd have to spend over here for T300+pro pedals, the fanatec isn't far off.

... For some reason I quite like the more "textured" feel of the g29.

That's probably the nicest description of G29 I've heard yet :glee:

No it's not bad at all.
A button box/ $30 keyboard fixes the button issue.

dault3883
12-10-2017, 23:48
i think no matter what any one says they are biased to the wheel they use (unless they absolutely hate it LOL) so of course im going to recommend the G29 cause thats what i use and i love it and in all honesty i did choose the G29 over even its sister the G920 because of the buttons

jimortality
12-10-2017, 23:56
You don't need buttons, just download voice attack and you can talk to your wheel lol. I've owned both and T300 is far better and I'm right and you're all entitled to your wrong opinion lololol

dault3883
13-10-2017, 00:02
You don't need buttons, just download voice attack and you can talk to your wheel lol. I've owned both and T300 is far better and I'm right and you're all entitled to your wrong opinion lololol

and nothing is more akward when other people come into the room asking who you are talking to and you have to explain to them you are talking to the game

lol besides im on a mid range laptop my laptop can barely run the game on its own let alone any third party apps

jimortality
13-10-2017, 01:15
and nothing is more akward when other people come into the room asking who you are talking to and you have to explain to them you are talking to the game

lol besides im on a mid range laptop my laptop can barely run the game on its own let alone any third party apps

I live alone so I can talk to myself all day long;)

dault3883
13-10-2017, 01:25
I live alone so I can talk to myself all day long;)

im not that lucky LOL

Civic
13-10-2017, 02:15
i think no matter what any one says they are biased to the wheel they use (unless they absolutely hate it LOL) so of course im going to recommend the G29 cause thats what i use and i love it and in all honesty i did choose the G29 over even its sister the G920 because of the buttons

No I use a G29 and I wouldn't recommend it unless you could find a good deal. For its normal price over here I don't think it is good value. If a T300RS was the same price I'd buy the T300RS over the G29. The only reason I have a G29 is because when I bought it new 2 years ago I paid less than what I have seen then sell for second hand recently.

The G29 is what I consider the entry point for wheels. The T300RS is above it. The T300RS and variants have been regarded as favourite among Thrustmaster users for how smooth they are and for non DD wheels are considered to be the smoothest wheel available.

So for this G29 user if I had the option and the pricing was close I'd take the T300RS any day of the week over the G29.

But as other have said, buttons are important and even the G29 doesn't have enough buttons.

I just want to point out I don't hate the G29.

Mine has been great value. I think it is the minimum standard wheel I would consider. I like the pedals, the optional shifter I bought is okay, not great. The FFB is noisy especially with PC2 and if PC2 was your primary game I would hesitate to recommend it. I'd point out that it can get very noisy at times and can be noticed even with headphones on due to how quiet the game is. I also find the clanky feeling it can sometimes have can feel a little unnatural especially in PC2. In other games like iRacing that clanky feeling is somthing I actually like but not in PC2.

hkraft300
13-10-2017, 02:23
Agree the G29 is the entry point for wheels. Don't even bother with non-ffb wheels.

I'm trying to get that G29 clank back in pc2. Had mad rattles in pc1 when you hit the ripple strippers: you hear it in the audio, through your hands in the ffb and the extra immersive G29 gear rattle ;)

Civic
13-10-2017, 02:48
Agree the G29 is the entry point for wheels. Don't even bother with non-ffb wheels.

I'm trying to get that G29 clank back in pc2. Had mad rattles in pc1 when you hit the ripple strippers: you hear it in the audio, through your hands in the ffb and the extra immersive G29 gear rattle ;)

Use informative

Set volume to 80
Set tone to 20
Set FX to 45
Set Gain per car and taste. Try 95 in GT3 cars for an aggressive setting.

Experience the mad rattles. This is where I have been running my FFB the last few days, if you let go of the wheel you can get a bit of oscillation so that's why I say to set gain to your preference as the settings I'm using are pretty aggressive and as per usual a high gain setting will be preferable for some cars and low gain setting will be preferable for others. I set my gain to 95 in most GT3 cars and this is a pretty aggressive setting which some people might think is too strong but if you like rattles you might like it.

hkraft300
13-10-2017, 06:55
I like it rough ;)

I've gone the way of low tone too.
Changed to new settings (sig) and had a wet race at Imola in the Panoz.
Bliss.

Will be tweaking further.

I've avoided the other flavours from raw because I don't like SoP feel through the wheel.

maxx69
13-10-2017, 09:39
T300 has better FFB and you can upgrade to new wheels , pedals and shifter taking advantage of the "eco system"
I'm currently using t300, Alcantara Ferrari wheel, th8a shifter and t3PA pro pedals .

More buttons is not a reason to choose a wheel as a cheap Bluetooth keyboard has more than enough buttons .

Cog vs smooth belt drive ....

Both wheels will be great and my advice is get the T300 if you can afford it , if not get the g29 .

https://youtu.be/NVNtBdXRDjw
This video should help

John Hargreaves
13-10-2017, 11:59
When I was comparing the two back to back, the FFB was certainly different in feel. The T300 felt more rubbery, as if you could feel the give of the rubber tyres on the road, and this really suited the road cars. The G29 felt harsher, less damped, and sure enough it felt better on the proper race cars. I was expecting the T300 to be better, but I honestly just found it different, not better or worse. I preferred the G29 for race cars and the T300 for road cars. I agree about the buttons too, every function of pCARS can be operated without moving your hands off the wheel on the G29.
In the end, it was the tiniest detail that swung my decision, and that was the desk clamp. The G29 was so easy to fix on and off my desk, and the T300 was too fiddly. If it was a permanent fixture on a rig, that's a non issue, but often swapping between keyboard, wheel and joystick, it made a huge difference to me.

maxx69
13-10-2017, 16:18
When I was comparing the two back to back, the FFB was certainly different in feel. The T300 felt more rubbery, as if you could feel the give of the rubber tyres on the road, and this really suited the road cars. The G29 felt harsher, less damped, and sure enough it felt better on the proper race cars. I was expecting the T300 to be better, but I honestly just found it different, not better or worse. I preferred the G29 for race cars and the T300 for road cars. I agree about the buttons too, every function of pCARS can be operated without moving your hands off the wheel on the G29.
In the end, it was the tiniest detail that swung my decision, and that was the desk clamp. The G29 was so easy to fix on and off my desk, and the T300 was too fiddly. If it was a permanent fixture on a rig, that's a non issue, but often swapping between keyboard, wheel and joystick, it made a huge difference to me.

What exactly is the difference in buttons on the two wheels , because all buttons on the Ferrari wheel are within thumb distance . I never have an issue with not having enough for everything important , anything else is on a keyboard .
I say this because I notice you use a button box .

Madhun67
13-10-2017, 16:30
get the t300rs on ebay for $250.00 and then get the alcantara wheel for it.........................much better and stronger than my g27 ever was

dault3883
13-10-2017, 16:42
What exactly is the difference in buttons on the two wheels , because all buttons on the Ferrari wheel are within thumb distance . I never have an issue with not having enough for everything important , anything else is on a keyboard .

the G29 has MORE buttons

ezza06
13-10-2017, 17:54
I use a t300rs with fanatec csr elite pedals I've had many wheels over the years but this is the best so far , if your concerned about buttons use a keyboard or a button box happy days 😁

Rantam
13-10-2017, 18:30
T300 by far. You won't regret it if you choose that path... selecting the logitech just because it got more buttons wouldn't be wise, IMO. The T300 is a better wheel and it got more than enough (15) ;)

Regards

bradleyland
13-10-2017, 18:40
Choosing a wheel comes down to setting priorities. Without an unlimited budget, you have to prioritize in order to get what you want. I've owned several racing wheels over the years, and so when it came time to buy a wheel for my PS4, I sat down and looked carefully at the following criteria:

FFB mechanism (gear vs belt)
FFB strength
Overall build quality
Wheel size
Interchangeable wheel availability

Having owned a couple of gear driven wheels in the past, I wanted to move to a belt driven wheel. This comes down to personal preference, but I cannot stand the feeling of gear mesh when operating a wheel. When I make fine adjustments to my driving line, the feeling of gear mesh ruins the immersion for me. Again, this is a preference (many people don't notice it), but it's important to keep this in mind when reading my feedback on specific wheels below.

I evaluated the following wheels:

Thrustmaster T300 RS
This is the basic, PS4 T300 offering from TM. It comes with the standard 28 cm wheel and two-pedal set. The pedals on this wheel really ruled this option out.

Logitech G29
I ruled the Logitech G29 out pretty quickly, because it is gear driven. The build quality was good, but the wheel diameter is only 27 cm, which gives it more of a toy feeling. The number of buttons was really a big draw though, as it never seems there are enough.

Fanatec ClubSport Wheel & Pedals
Fanatec had everything I was looking for, but was more than twice the cost (at the time) of the option I went with. In hindsight, I'm really glad I didn't go with Fanatec, because they ended up having a falling out with Sony, and I'd be stuck with a PC only wheel at this point.

Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Alcantara
This is the wheel I bought. It uses a belt drive mechanism, which eliminates the gear mesh feeling; although I was somewhat surprised that I can still sometimes feel the lumpiness of the electromagnetic forces within the motor itself. This is unavoidable until you get into the very, very high end.

Another major selling point was the 30 cm wheel. A diameter of 30 cm is still really small for a road car, but it's right at the entry point of actual racing steering wheels. The extra diameter gives a real sense of immersion, and provides greater precision.

The three-pedal set is on par with the G29, but still has a lot of plastic parts. The pedals include an adjustable "brake mod", which is a nice enhancement (the Logitech G29 has something similar, but is non-adjustable). The brake mod part broke after 1 year of use, but a replacement cost me less than $20.

The final selling point of the T300 (and all TM wheels for that matter) is the interchangeable wheel system. If the lack of buttons on the base T300 wheel is a problem for you, TM sells an F1 replica wheel that has tons of buttons, including rotary encoders (thumb wheels) and toggle switches. The F1 wheel is going to be my next purchase, after almost two-years of ownership.

Impressions & Advice after 22 Months of Ownership
Overall, I've been very happy with the wheel. I wasn't thrilled when the brake mod broke, but that brings me to another up-side of the T300. I'm currently using a set of Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3 with the T300 wheel base. A company called Basherboards makes an adapter that works perfectly. The pedals are a huge upgrade over anything Thrustmaster or Logitech has to offer. They cost me nearly as much as the wheel itself, but because I was able to do this over a year after my initial purchase, it spread the expense out.

That brings me to an overall aspect that you may wish to consider, and that I hadn't really considered up-front: long term viability. The G29 is a great wheel, but there are no additional wheels, and there are no adapters that will let you use upgraded pedals. Basically, you buy the G29 and that's what you use. I don't mean to say that as a bad thing. For many people, that's all they want. That's perfectly OK, but it is a distinguishing element of the Thrustmaster ecosystem.

bradleyland
13-10-2017, 18:41
Regarding buttons, specifically, the PS4 recognizes bluetooth and USB keyboards, which are inexpensive. In pCARS 2, you can map functions to keyboard buttons, which gives you all the buttons you could ever want. The T300 has enough buttons on the wheel itself to handle all the functions you need at your fingertips.

Civic
13-10-2017, 20:06
I just wanted to point out the T300 RS GT also has 3 pedals.

It might be worth considering that the Thrustmaster pedals use hall effects while the G29 pedals still use pots. In the long term that can be significant.

Personally I have never bought into the hype about load cell pedals and it actually makes no sense at all to me. The resolution, accuracy and consistency of many load cell pedals over the years has been lower than potentiometer pedals and a well built or modified progressive brake pedal is still a pressure based pedal even with a potentiometer. I still have a set of G25 pedals I have modified here, I have 2 springs installed, the standard spring and a progressive conical spring inside it. The pedal gets very heavy toward the end and is very difficult to push to 100%. It uses a pot but it works like a pressure based pedal as you must push it harder to push it further and surprisingly with just 2 springs it has very realistic brake feel. The only complaint is it squeaks. And I'll admit I do worry about the plastic casing failing because it is a very heavy pedal to push now and the force required is so much greater than what the manufacturer ever intended.

I think pot pedals modified like this and using a brake sensitivity setting of about 15 (whatever matches the springs you use) gives a very realistic feeling brake that is as good or better than a load cell based pedal. Over the years I have seen just a few people share this opinion but what I have noticed is the advice given to people using pot pedals has always been very bad and most people using pot pedals are using terrible settings so it is no wonder to me load cell brakes improve their consistency. Even on this board I have seen so many people using what I think are terrible brake sensitivity settings.

Fight-Test
13-10-2017, 20:25
I've got over a 1000 hrs on my t300 and love it. I have the Ferrari gt rim but would only recomend the f1 wheel. It's perfect. Also if you go with Thrustmaster and the t3pa's you have to get load cell or they just suck. Ricmotech sells them already installed and you can buy the t300 base and rim you want.

The load cell in the t3pas feel so realistic to racing car brake and you can be more consistent and faster right out the box. I have some fanatec v3s now and I like them but they have more play than the thrustmaster and still getting used to it but not as realistic to a racing car. I do have one set of harder rubber things that go inside to try though.

You can also see my button box and mixer right next to my thigh. Easier to use when in vr. I also switched all the buttons on the f1 rim and the switches in the paddles to 10,000,000 use switches.

EDIT: to add If I was buying over from scratch I would get the t300 and Fanatec V3's. Even though I haven't got my braking back to 100% normal yet they are much better made and once you buy the T3pa's with loadcell you will be right there were the V3's are in price. I don't race road cars much or ever really but I can tell the brake on the fanatecs with all its adjustments will be alot better than the T3pa's with load cell as they don't adjust so every car will have same exact throw on the brake. The fanatecs allow you quickly adjust per car with a adjuster on the back of pedal. The fanatecs are much better all around.

Diablo944
14-10-2017, 03:01
This whole button thing is just a bit ridiculous. Dont get me wrong, its nice to have more buttons to hand, but when it comes down to it, how many does your actual car have? From memory, and I only drove it earlier my mx5 has none. Took a while to count those, but yep, definitely none.

Joking aside though, on ps4 and pc, a button box is a cheap addition (or a bluetooth keyboard for that matter brings a lot more keys to the party). On console its nice to have buttons to hand, but at the same time I use very few on the wheel. DRS, KERS, very occasionally the hand brake. In general they are the primaries, the rest can go on the button box, and mounting it by the wheel brings them nicely in reach. So all the ancillary stuff for me is on the button box now with only the most important on the wheel itself.

I wouldnt be put off by the whole 'unreliable build quality' stuff for either wheel. They are what they are. You get a good one of either brand or you dont (just make sure you keep your receipt).

Get what you most like the look off. I like the custom option of the t300. The pro pedals are brilliant to me, especially( with the cone mod in place, or in my case the upgraded non tm cone mod (though the fact someone said that you can use fanatec v3s with a basherboard was appealing, I am wondering about the rumble facility there, is that even supported on ps4 or pc only?).

Unfortunately, many people here will only have true usage memories of both g29 and t300. Many will no doubt favour the older t500. The more affluent will go for fanatec. Pc users will likely have even more expensive dd recommendations. But keeping it simple

The stock two pedal set on the t300 works, but they are crap and no one can say anything but that 'unless thats all they have ever used' in which case they are acceptable. The next step up, the three pedal set, arent much better. The pros are a big step up in feel and build quality. Having wheel choices is good (albeit expensive for a wheel alone, especially the alcantera). The th8a gear unit is a lovely bit of kit though and when compared to the g29 gear unit is considerably better quality. Personally I find the g27 gear unit to be better than the g29 offering.

When all is said and done though, either if the two primary choices are a billion times better than a gamepad. G29 is a closed system for the most part, t300 brings more choices. If you had the absolute pixel perfect simulator that could convince you it was real world and played it on a gamepad, then it becomes just a game. The wheel is a gamechanger and both g29 and t300 make things feel better in every way.

So for me, I say buy what appeals and go from there.

Boskapongen
14-10-2017, 04:03
If you drive in VR, buttons on wheel are very welcome....

Fight-Test
14-10-2017, 12:26
This whole button thing is just a bit ridiculous. Dont get me wrong, its nice to have more buttons to hand, but when it comes down to it, how many does your actual car have? From memory, and I only drove it earlier my mx5 has none. Took a while to count those, but yep, definitely none.

Joking aside though, on ps4 and pc, a button box is a cheap addition (or a bluetooth keyboard for that matter brings a lot more keys to the party). On console its nice to have buttons to hand, but at the same time I use very few on the wheel. DRS, KERS, very occasionally the hand brake. In general they are the primaries, the rest can go on the button box, and mounting it by the wheel brings them nicely in reach. So all the ancillary stuff for me is on the button box now with only the most important on the wheel itself.

I wouldnt be put off by the whole 'unreliable build quality' stuff for either wheel. They are what they are. You get a good one of either brand or you dont (just make sure you keep your receipt).

Get what you most like the look off. I like the custom option of the t300. The pro pedals are brilliant to me, especially( with the cone mod in place, or in my case the upgraded non tm cone mod (though the fact someone said that you can use fanatec v3s with a basherboard was appealing, I am wondering about the rumble facility there, is that even supported on ps4 or pc only?).

Unfortunately, many people here will only have true usage memories of both g29 and t300. Many will no doubt favour the older t500. The more affluent will go for fanatec. Pc users will likely have even more expensive dd recommendations. But keeping it simple

The stock two pedal set on the t300 works, but they are crap and no one can say anything but that 'unless thats all they have ever used' in which case they are acceptable. The next step up, the three pedal set, arent much better. The pros are a big step up in feel and build quality. Having wheel choices is good (albeit expensive for a wheel alone, especially the alcantera). The th8a gear unit is a lovely bit of kit though and when compared to the g29 gear unit is considerably better quality. Personally I find the g27 gear unit to be better than the g29 offering.

When all is said and done though, either if the two primary choices are a billion times better than a gamepad. G29 is a closed system for the most part, t300 brings more choices. If you had the absolute pixel perfect simulator that could convince you it was real world and played it on a gamepad, then it becomes just a game. The wheel is a gamechanger and both g29 and t300 make things feel better in every way.

So for me, I say buy what appeals and go from there.

Diablo, I have a unopened basher board I bought a few months ago but I'll never race on my ps4 again so it's not needed. Pm me and I'll give you a good deal. I can probably 100% promise the vibration won't work. It doesn't on pc and I read tou have to have a fanatec wheel for vibration to work or some kind of mod which is probably only available on pc.

Buttons on wheel.

Lights
Wipers
Push to talk
Motec cycle
Hud cycle
Pit limiter
Pit Strategy box
4 directions on d pad for each direction in the strategy box
Brake bias up and down
look behind

On my button box
Ignition
Start
Call for pit
Vr recenter
Reset
Splits

maxx69
14-10-2017, 13:52
the G29 has MORE buttons
Yeah I get that and understand from the previous comment that the g29 more buttons , that wasn't my question.
My question was how many more ?
He had used both wheels and is currently using a g29 . Stating he doesn't need a keyboard as the wheel has more buttons and yet uses a button box .

I just thought he might be able to tell me the difference

(No caps lock needed)

wyldanimal
14-10-2017, 16:31
If you Haven't decided yet...
the Fanatec CSL-Elite (PS4) version $479.99
The Fanartec V3 Pedals 299.99
The Thrustmaster TH8A shifter 149.99
and the Creative minds Drive Hub 89.99

It's a little more, but way worth the investment...

The CSL Elite is PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox compatible ( depending on Rim you use )
But with the Drive Hub, no need to switch rims.
You do need the Drive Hub to make the THA8 work.

I read lots of people talk about the G29 and Gears.
The G29 has Two motors and uses Helical Gears.
( any Gear heads out there? if so you'll know that Helical Gears offer higher Strength, and low noise, and are very smooth )
The Gears are Quiet and Smooth as silk, you can't feel the gears at all, can't even hear them...
The G29 does make noise, but it is NOT gear noise.
The Motors use a Bronze Bushing on the shaft, and the shaft floats axially in the bushings.
So when there is a sudden direction change, the shaft thrusts up against a stopper.
and you hear a thunk.
it's not damaging the wheel.

The T300, uses a Toothed Dual Belt drive.
And I can Feel every tooth on the Belt..
I hated it...
I hated the rubber wheel.
I did like one thing, It had more force than the G29, but later realized that the Strong FFB was actually an Impediment to being fast.

The G29 had more fidelity. I could feel the fine track surface, that got lost in the T300 Strength.

The Fanatec, offers the best of both.
If I were looking to invest in a Wheel for the PS4, I'd go Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 version.

In case you want to know
G27, G29, G920, what causes the Thunk, or knocking sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LzEc8nqMDk

Edit:
If you want an F1 Rim, then the Fanatec is the Way to Go...

The F1 rim is 199.99
Every thing on the Rim actually works. I have the F1 rim for the T300, and it is so Fake in comparison in my Opinion.

Or if you want a real Carbon Fiber rim, get this one it's 249.99

Yeas, Fanatec is a bit more money, but worth every penny. In My Opinion..

I've had the Logitech DFGT, G27, and G29 wheels.
I've had the T300 with Multiple rims, Including the F1
The Fanaetec is leaps ahead. For a Wheel and Pedals under $1000

I haven't used the T-GT by Thrustamster, But I can't see it being worth $800
It's not Direct Drive as first thought.
It's the same dual Belt drive as found in the T300, slightly bigger motor.

Last Edit:
The TH8A is a great Shifter for the Money. With the Drive Hub, the Shifter is Cross Brand compatible with Other Wheels.
But for as Often as I use the Shifter in H Pattern, ( hardly Ever )
you can add it after the fact, if you feel you want an H pattern Shifter.
I use it more In Sequential Mode, but most of the time, I'm Paddle Shifting.

wyldanimal
14-10-2017, 17:00
Need more Buttons for the Fanatec CSL-E
http://simracinghardware.com/product/fanatec-csl-elite-dashboard-playstation-4-edition/

bolts directly to the Wheel base, The threaded holes are Already in the base.
This is USB Keyboard based button technology.
So it works with any PS4 game that supports USB Keyboard Button mapping.

Madwak55
14-10-2017, 17:53
http://simracinghardware.com/product/fanatec-csl-elite-dashboard-playstation-4-edition/

Damn, I wish you hadn't posted this as now I've got to resist the urge to get it :rolleyes:

bradleyland
14-10-2017, 23:30
Having gone from TM equipment, and upgrading the Fanatec, I can 100% vouch for the fact that you are getting 5x the quality for 1.5x to 2.0x the price. I originally thought Fanatec gear was overpriced... I now have the opposite opinion. I cannot believe they can sell these pedals for under $500, when you compare to other premium pedals in the market that start at $1,000 and go up. They're a really incredible value.

Diablo944
15-10-2017, 03:58

Awesome looking thing, though the dodgy photoshop work with the wheel overlay is truly awful. Lol

wyldanimal
15-10-2017, 08:25
Awesome looking thing, though the dodgy photoshop work with the wheel overlay is truly awful. Lol

I couldn't find a Photo that showed how it looked Installed on the Fanatec.
So I took the Thrustmaster T500 Photo, and did a Quick, wheel Overlay.
I think it turned out ok for a quick 30 second Paste, and resize...

John Hargreaves
15-10-2017, 10:03

To begin with, I use the G29 mostly on my PC, and on my PS4 I tend to use the pad, but you'll get the idea I guess. Here's a quick snap of my wheel and button box

Most of the buttons I've labelled (cos I kept forgetting what was what), but the d-pad on the wheel is default, mainly for navigating menus. The square button is change camera, circle is pause/back up, the X is select. The PlayStation buttons down the centre strut are TC/SC on/off, the big one with the red surround is reset view in VR. On the button box, row by row, there is ignition, headlights, wipers, below that start button, then bottom row of rotary switches is FFB volume, tone, brake bias, front anti roll bar adjust and rear ARB adjust.

There's a Renovatio SRD-M3 dash on there, and one or two small mods to make the G29 a bit less gamey looking. The shifter is from my G25, with a leo bodnar usb adapter which retains the button functions. As you can see it's a bit overkill on the buttons, but it's nice to have some spares for functions as you get round to assigning them. With that setup, I can quickly swap between modern flappy paddle auto clutch stuff to vintage racers etc. The triple screen setup is my 34" LG, plus a couple of old 19" LCD monitors at the sides.

GenBrien
15-10-2017, 14:29
^^ you got your shifter at the wrong side ;)

John Hargreaves
15-10-2017, 14:33
Good spot - that's because most people round here drive on the wrong side too, except the ones that like to drive on the right side side round blind bends :rolleyes:

GenBrien
15-10-2017, 16:01
funny engeneer that put steering wheel and pedals at the passenger's position ;) :p

Nice setup BTW :cool:

Diablo944
15-10-2017, 16:53
I would agree with that, but then we would both be wrong.

anlygi
16-10-2017, 05:39
I was faced with this decision for the original game and ultimately decided on the G29, as the whole combo with clutch and gear stick was much more expensive with the Thrustmaster. Can't have a gear stick with no clutch so the bundled pedals on the Thrustmaster would have went straight to landfill. Stupid decision by Thrustmaster to include those with the T300 as it's making their offering more expensive than it needs to be for anyone wanting the full setup. I made my choice, along with a GT Omega wheel stand and I am not disappointed with it. It's all well and good people recommending more expensive options but everyone has a budget. Not everyone spends enough time playing games that they want to go all out on a setup, others maybe can't afford it and just want a more immersive setup to enjoy the game, whilst not being total crap and feeling like a toy with the sub 100 options. I can't 'feel the gears' in it at all. Everyone's opinion will be biased based on their own choices but I have no doubt the T300 is a great option too but in my case it was more than I wanted to spend with the gear stick, pedal upgrade and wheelstand.

b1sakher
16-10-2017, 10:19
I think you understand by now that it's much easier to answer the Palestinian and Israeli conflict. But yeah go for the G29 and the Palestinians;

sirio994
16-10-2017, 11:48
I had to make this decision as well. I went with the G29 knowing that i was already buying the complete bundle (i bought it with the shifter).

The T300 requires pedals and shifter and the price is so high i would sacrifice the clutch and the shifter and jump to a fanatec...

Thrustmaster needs to improve its combinations. Good wheels but bad base bundles. It's good for them because they sell pedals and shufter to those users but bas at the same time because they lost a lot of potential customers offering that basic combination...

PS: At the moment the G29 lets a lot to be desired in PC2 on PS4. But i suppose they are going to improve those cars that are feeling awful...

Trabbant
16-10-2017, 14:37
What sold me on the G920 was reliability, a 2 year guarantee means Logitech have some confidence in the product, I'm an old school gamer and remember when lesser joysticks would get destroyed by many games so you went with the Kempston Competition Pro or equivalent.

Yes you can feel that it is gear driven but for the money as a starter package in the world of FFB racing it's pretty good, feels like it can take some punishment. The pedals are great too, it's a solid package.

I'm loving racing around PC2 with the G920, 20 hours in, there are issues and quibbles, but I bought the wheel as an introduction to sim racing and at the price point it will do fine until if and when I decide to invest serious cash into a setup.

As said, reliability was a major factor in my purchase decision, I intend to hammer it and expect it to still work.

Exoil
16-10-2017, 19:00
I went with the T300 two years ago after testing both for a while at my friends playing PCars 1. It would've been nice to have the shifter, but the T300 just felt so much better than the G29 with it's FFB. Also, the rumble in the G29 mostly felt like something was loose inside the wheelbase and was rattling around.

Icecream-Inc
17-10-2017, 10:19
as a g29 owner.. avoid the g29.. logitech QC is not great.. do a search on google 'paddle shifter problems' and you will find a slew of complaints of one or both paddles presses not registering .. (no not gear shift protection). or double registering.
there are 'how to fix' videos where you take it apart and fiddle with the switch the paddle presses on.. but they have modified the newer ones now so you cant actually open the switch casing.. in which case you're f@#ked.
you can RMA it , however theres also lots of posts/threads of this issue happening to the replacement wheel, and even the replacements replacement.
logitech aint what it used to be.
also... it uses the old gear driven ffb tech ..which is very outdated and inferior in so many ways.

pokiou
17-10-2017, 13:08
doesnt matter how many buttons it has now, as you can use a Keyboard with the game....

Fly_in_fly_in
22-10-2017, 10:50
I feel I opened a can of worms with this one... thanks for all replies. After much deliberation I have made my decision and just ordered myself a T300 RS!

There wasn't much price difference between the two, and I'm already spending more than I originally intended, so it seemed silly not to push a little further for something really worth while. I'm going to save up for the T3PA pro pedals, and in the mean time will try a brake mod on the stock set.

Don-09141955
23-10-2017, 11:41
i just can't push all those buttons constantly, AND concentrate on racing at the same time. Please take no offense.

Don-09141955
23-10-2017, 11:46
Talking to yourself all day long, isn't the reason you live alone, is it? Sorry, just bustin'your balls. I thought what you said was funny.

MrA2theK
23-10-2017, 11:52
My G29 has just gone wonky, everytime I turn the wheel left or right I get the PS share screen appear. Apparently this is a well known problem.
Cant find my receipt but gonna try and return it to Currys today as it is still within the 2 year warranty. Wish me luck!

senna94f1
23-10-2017, 21:52
Thrustmaster, T150 wheel with triple pedals 160. Excellent value and good starter wheel

T300RS with standard 2 pedals 199, most PC and consoles use this brilliant wheel with up to date modern technology,

Thrustmaster Basic triple pedals 75

Thrustmaster pro triple pedals. 99,

Www.box.co.uk all above free delivery and brand new with 2 years warranty uk and Europe only.

G29 is very good wheel but out dated technology and ffb is nowhere as smooth or as good as the thrustmaster range ,only advantage is triple pedals comes as standard,

I own all 3 and a very good starter wheel is T150 pro which means triple pedals as standard ,
T300 range is mid to top end wheel with very good ffb and very smooth,
G29 is good wheel but it's really the triple pedals that makes it any good,
If you have the budget T300 wheel as has all ps4 buttons the same as your ps4 controller where T300RS wheel does not have buttons marked the same as your ps4 controller, But your soon remember the buttons any way,

Hope this helps and is only my opinion

shiftt
24-10-2017, 10:05
Hi all, I'm about to purchase a wheel for the first time and I'm looking at either a Logitech G29 or a Thrustmaster T300 RS. Have been reading lots of reviews but finding it hard to decide. Looking to hear people's opinions and experiences with these, as want to order asap and get racing! Also plan to use for Dirt Rally and other decent racers eventually, but mainly PC2 for now. TIA

buy g29 has the same conception of fanatics and I tell you that games for hours never miss a guaranteed shot

Minimitch
24-10-2017, 20:24
Are box.co.uk reliable? 99% of what I have heard about them is avoid at all costs

thomasjohansen
27-10-2017, 22:30

I got buttons on my G27 mod :-)
And I wouldnt give up any of the 19 buttons, they all come in handy.

Unfortunataly I cant get the rotarys to work....

Paul Bee
28-10-2017, 09:10
I got buttons on my G27 mod :-)
And I wouldnt give up any of the 19 buttons, they all come in handy.

Thomas, re your signature - My DIY Raceseat and Wheel http://www.vgraphics.dk - interesting website, thanks for sharing.

Daz555
08-11-2017, 09:32
Are box.co.uk reliable? 99% of what I have heard about them is avoid at all costs
My experience with them was fine. I picked up the T300 Alcantara Edition from them along with the TH8A shifter a few weeks ago - both arrived as promised and cheaper than anywhere else online I could find.

jimortality
08-11-2017, 09:55
I've got over a 1000 hrs on my t300 and love it. I have the Ferrari gt rim but would only recomend the f1 wheel. It's perfect. Also if you go with Thrustmaster and the t3pa's you have to get load cell or they just suck. Ricmotech sells them already installed and you can buy the t300 base and rim you want.

The load cell in the t3pas feel so realistic to racing car brake and you can be more consistent and faster right out the box. I have some fanatec v3s now and I like them but they have more play than the thrustmaster and still getting used to it but not as realistic to a racing car. I do have one set of harder rubber things that go inside to try though.

You can also see my button box and mixer right next to my thigh. Easier to use when in vr. I also switched all the buttons on the f1 rim and the switches in the paddles to 10,000,000 use switches.

EDIT: to add If I was buying over from scratch I would get the t300 and Fanatec V3's. Even though I haven't got my braking back to 100% normal yet they are much better made and once you buy the T3pa's with loadcell you will be right there were the V3's are in price. I don't race road cars much or ever really but I can tell the brake on the fanatecs with all its adjustments will be alot better than the T3pa's with load cell as they don't adjust so every car will have same exact throw on the brake. The fanatecs allow you quickly adjust per car with a adjuster on the back of pedal. The fanatecs are much better all around.

How big is that screen?

jimortality
08-11-2017, 09:56
I feel I opened a can of worms with this one... thanks for all replies. After much deliberation I have made my decision and just ordered myself a T300 RS!

There wasn't much price difference between the two, and I'm already spending more than I originally intended, so it seemed silly not to push a little further for something really worth while. I'm going to save up for the T3PA pro pedals, and in the mean time will try a brake mod on the stock set.

Good choice mate, I love my T300

Lord of the Racing
09-11-2017, 06:33
You definitively bought an amazing wheel. I have it and I am very satisfied.

Minimitch
09-11-2017, 20:36
Just ordered the T300 Alcantara Edition. Who knew BT sold racing wheels

John Hargreaves
09-11-2017, 21:10
Didn't BT take over Dabs.com a few years back? I don't think they ever made much of that, but dabs was a big online computer store and it just seemed to fade away. You certainly don't think of BT as your one stop shop for all your computer hardware needs.

Minimitch
09-11-2017, 21:38
Ah that's what happened to dabs then. I googled the T300 to compare prices and BT came up and would never have considered them. Been using them for broadband and TV for years and the fact they had a shop has never been mentioned to us

luckyluca
26-12-2017, 14:07
Ok I don't mean to add gasoline to the fire, but I've read contradicting thoughts about the g29 ffb feel.
I'm looking at options as well and am after a wheel with a soft smooth ffb feel.
i used to have a wheel ions ago on ps2 and what i didn't like was the cogs dents feel, it was like driving on a ribbed road.

between the t300 and g29 and t150 which one provides a more clinical and smooth feel? ( i don't mind the weakness of the motor ).
currently the g29 and t150 are the same price on Amazon UK and the t300rs is a bit more expensive.

Thanks

hkraft300
26-12-2017, 14:37
T300. Belt drive and stronger motor.
G29 is geared.

Zaskarspants
26-12-2017, 14:41
My g920, same as g29 felt slightly 'coggy' when new but was smooth after a few weeks.
I am sure a belt drive is smoother but a g29 is good at reproducing high frequency detail in the ffb due perhaps to the more direct gear drive system.

hkraft300
26-12-2017, 14:46
True I don’t think bout g29 being geared or not when I’m racing.

John Hargreaves
26-12-2017, 17:21
I would say the T300 is smoother without a doubt. The feedback feels rubbery, like road tyres on the track, so it is perfect for the road cars imo. The G29, due to the gears, is less smooth, and feels more at home in the proper race cars, which by their nature rattle more and are generally a harsher ride. T300 felt odd to me in the race cars, too soft, smooth and gentle, so I'd say think about which cars you like to drive and go from there. I didn't find a major difference in strength between the two.

luckyluca
26-12-2017, 18:33
thanks, is be keen to hear your thoughts about the t150, it might fit the bill literally, 1080, larger wheel than g29, believe belt system.
anyway currently I'm still at research stage, it'll take a while before i take the plunge
happy boxing day

hkraft300
26-12-2017, 19:40
thanks, is be keen to hear your thoughts about the t150, it might fit the bill literally, 1080, larger wheel than g29, believe belt system.
anyway currently I'm still at research stage, it'll take a while before i take the plunge
happy boxing day

G29 > T150.

Much better pedals, wheel, buttons etc.

T300 is a better wheel than the G29 but G29 has better pedals still.

Fight-Test
26-12-2017, 20:17
I agree 100% with hkrafts comment. I know at ricmitech you can get the base and a wheel without pedals, the order the ones you want. If you can find some g29 pedals there is a part you can order to make them work with t300.