PDA

View Full Version : Not down shifting in certain cars?

Oneschmitty
12-10-2017, 22:37
New to all of this, so it's probably something I am doing incorrectly, but I am having trouble downshifting (have to press the paddle several times to make it down shift).
I thought something was damaged on my wheel (thrustmaster 300rs), so I went in to the thrustmaster control panel and verified that the paddle is working.
Then I tried the Formula rookie car and it down shifts perfectly.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks!

Alan Dallas
12-10-2017, 22:44
It's not your equipment. It's your driving. If it's a modern car you noticed this with and it has a Sequential transmission, they have over rev protection and it'll stop you from downshifting so it doesn't damage the transmission. Yes it's a thing and yes it's simulated in pCARS2.

Edit: Tip: Slow down more before trying to downshift again.

3800racingfool
12-10-2017, 22:48
New to all of this, so it's probably something I am doing incorrectly, but I am having trouble downshifting (have to press the paddle several times to make it down shift).
I thought something was damaged on my wheel (thrustmaster 300rs), so I went in to the thrustmaster control panel and verified that the paddle is working.
Then I tried the Formula rookie car and it down shifts perfectly.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks!

There is over-rev protection on many cars in the game that won't let you downshift if it will cause the engine to be at or very near the red line. You'll need to trail on the brakes just a little bit more before downshifting as a result. How sensitive it is varies from car to car as it would in real life (much easier to downshift a GT3/4/E car than say the Mclaren 720S) so you'll need to feel it out on each car.

Oneschmitty
13-10-2017, 01:11
Cool! Thanks! I knew it had to be something like that.
I got so used to using the down shifting as a brake assist in the last gt game - it will take some getting use to.

Thanks!

Ian Bell
13-10-2017, 01:15
We're going to soften this slightly for the next'ish' patch. It will still be there but with a 'tad' more leeway. So it will still be realistic but not overly intrusive.

Thanks for all of your feedback on this.

Civic
13-10-2017, 02:22
That's good to hear. I'll just point out that I do agree with some people that the implementation is a bit too aggressive in some cars like the BMW Z4 GT3. And sometimes that car is frustrating in that it just wont shift even though there is no reason it shouldn't. In some other cars I've not had issues.

David Slute
13-10-2017, 02:43
I had an issue with the ginetta junior where during a corner. In 2nd gear i could not downshift to first when the revs were no where near the redline resluting in a slow exit out of the corner cause it bogged down. If I blipped the trottle with auto clutch enabled it would eventually down shift. Is this also part of the downshift protection?
Also using a thrustmaster tx

Purg
13-10-2017, 03:22
It already feels softer on the Ginetta Jr. I love taking that thing for a bash around Knockhill and before the last big patch, I could never downshift into first on that last tight right hander. Since the patch, it goes down to first no problems. Braking into that corner, I seem to be able to downshift through the gears much quicker, too.

Zuuza450
13-10-2017, 03:38
I noticed this issue also, last night (10/11/17) immediately after installing a software update for the game on PS4. I race with a Ligier LMP2 and never had a problem with downshifting until after the software update. Now the car fails to downshift perhaps 10% of the time, and it feels pretty random. If this was done for realism though, as an over rev protection, then I'm fine with it. It does feel kind of unpredictable though. Maybe it's just me.

surtic86
13-10-2017, 07:45
Had also this Problem yesterday with the FERRARI 488 GT3 on Spielberg and Monza where i was not able to Downshift or Upshift sometimes. I was many times in the first schikane on Monza and Still in the 6 Gear... was nearly 10 km/h to be able to Downshift.

Before the Patch 2.0 i had no Issue with that Car and Tracks.

honespc
13-10-2017, 07:57
We're going to soften this slightly for the next'ish' patch. It will still be there but with a 'tad' more leeway. So it will still be realistic but not overly intrusive.

Thanks for all of your feedback on this.Thanks. It's currently very intrusive actually. It might be like that in real life but..., this is a game after all, so toning it down will make everything feel a little better for most.

Apply the tweak on Road Cars too please, not just Gts.

Mrocz
13-10-2017, 08:05
I have similar confusion but with H-pattern shifting. I am not sure if it is a bug, or just realistic feature. I have no experience with old race cars so I would be glad to hear explanation about it from someone more expirienced.

In older race cars it looks like it is needed to use Heel And Toe technique to make blip in newer ones they are making something like Auto Blip. I am confused because in Project Cars 1 every car, older, newer were working the same on downshifts.

Also in older race cars I can make blip on downshifts. By quickly pressing Clutch for a short time right after downshifting. Without using throttle! I am very confused about it. Because I heard on other forum (GTPlanet) that this is a bug, but then from someone else i heard this is how gearbox worked in older race cars. Can somebody clarify this for me?

REFNightmare
13-10-2017, 08:12
I would hope that being able to have more leeway as to when we can downshift, doesn't stop us from being able to blow up the engine. In some games you can hear on the replays the cars smashing the limiter as they come down the gears and they're still on that limiter as they're slowing down for the apex. This, would mean huge engine damage, and I would think that doing this lap in and lap out it would cause engine seizure or a blown engine.

Basically, I'm just trying to say let us downshift more, but have it so that if you downshift wrong and too early, you risk blowing up the engine. Will mean people wouldn't try to use it as a braking system.

Asturbo
13-10-2017, 08:26
I've test this feature in other sims and a light overrev is allowed in downshifting. For example with a car that reaches a max speed of 125Kmh in 1st gear, is allowed to change from 2nd to 1st at 135Kmh with a momentary overrev. In Project CARS 2 in the same situation, you only can downshift when you are below 124Kmh.

Other desired feature is that you have a warning (and icon and a sound beep), when the low gear could not be engaged. Many people are thinking that they have a faulty paddles.

finagle69
13-10-2017, 16:40
I feel like the RX cars need to have this relaxed as well.

luv2drive
14-10-2017, 22:47
Seems like this is a known issue now with the 2.0 patch, but just wanted to report that I'm having the same issue. In my case it was with the CLK-LM, and with one other car I can't remember. I guess I understand the feature, but as others have said, I think it's a bit too aggressive. It's completely throwing off my timing in braking. Hope we can get this smoothed out in the next patch.

Overall though, loving PC2, especially the realistic physics!

CruisingUSA
14-10-2017, 23:24
I think pcars has an identity crisis in many ways and this is a good example of it. After reading the forums, it's interesting to see people say "this game is real life, so you can't do XYZ" then those same people, in another thread say "it's just a game, get over it"

The problem is, it can't really be both. It's either a simulator that isn't simulating correctly, or a game simulating a close approximation of a driving experience and people will forgive its short comings.

If you made a documentary, which was a true story, real life documented factual events, that interjected completely false/incorrect/fake parts, it wouldn't be good idea! That's what's happening here.

We have PCars stating it's the most realistic simulator, telling everyone that it's a sim, the best sim, the most advanced sim, but when you question why it's not simulating real life correctly, you are met with the response of... because it's a game, dummy!

I think pcars should decide who it is.

I tested the game for numerous reasons, and based on my real world experience, my time driving the nords and running with scumball rally, that it doesn't simulate as well as other simulators, it CAN, but it chooses not to, because the game designers/developers are neutering certain features, adding restrictions etc to allow gamers, to play the game professionally, competitively, on a pad etc at esports with a level playing field and no way to game the system.

But by doing so, they actually dilute their simulation experience, as they add false restrictions and remove genuine real life features.

Personally, I find other sims do a better job at simulating real life, but project cars does a fantastic job at simulating a great game racing experience.

As a game it deserves its 80 meta critic rating for sure! It's a great game, and game sites confirm this.
As a simulator, simulating how real cars actually behave, in real life, in the real world, as a car simulator, it's close, but it's not remotely close enough compared to the others on the market.

Great game, far better than AC / iRacing etc but its simulation of a vehicle is not close to those titles in terms of how the vehcles react to the environment around them based on my testing of these titles and my real world driving experience.

Top Game though!

peterCars
15-10-2017, 00:46
Before patch 2 I had the problem with FA but not Renault. Now I have this problem with both. Slider for downshift protection? Or a light somewhere that lets me know when it is 'safe' to downshift. It is very frustrating. Looking forward to it being toned down in a future patch. I am racing with auto gears like a 2 year old so that I can enjoy this game, like a 12 year old.:)

Silraed
15-10-2017, 03:07
Top Game though!

Could you expand on specifically what you find wrong with how the game simulates things and what added restrictions you are talking about? Genuinely curious because you mention you have real experience, not trying to bait an argument or anything.

pkcraistlin
15-10-2017, 03:32
"real life" or not, rev limiters' main role is gameplay related- to stop players abusing engine braking.

Basically, I'm just trying to say let us downshift more, but have it so that if you downshift wrong and too early, you risk blowing up the engine. Will mean people wouldn't try to use it as a braking system.

that's pointless if you have mechanical failures turned off.

peterCars
22-10-2017, 05:27
I've just seen the rev limiter option in car setup - diff/gearing - though it is at maximum already .
Ive had success here, dont know why, except car setup and now running low front wing high rear, which gets rid of my ice skating problem (oversteer perhaps but felt like no grip).
no on manual gears and not having this issue at all. Formula A

Azure Flare
22-10-2017, 06:56

Would it be possible to add an audible notification for when you hit (for lack of a better word) the downshift protection? R3E has this, and it actually helps me out a lot.

Keena
22-10-2017, 07:22
"real life" or not, rev limiters' main role is gameplay related- to stop players abusing engine braking.

that's pointless if you have mechanical failures turned off.
I don't know why you can't just lock the drive wheels of people who are abusing engine braking. This would work even with damage off as locked wheels lengthen the braking zone compared to proper efficient braking.. downshift too early, rev limiter reached, transmission locks at those revs, tyres lose grip. Aside from that (which I think already happens on cars without downshift protection- I'll have to have a test on that later) having downshift protection on cars that have it in real life surely isn't an issue. So aside from it being set too intrusive on some cars (for which a fix is in the post) I'm struggling to see the issue. If it stuffs up time trial- well all I can say on that is I'm pretty sceptical of some of those world record times anyway, so I don't attach too much credibility to them. Own goal scored by the record setter in my mind. I've fallen foul of the downshift issue and simply adjust the gear ratios on cars that let me, or adjusted my line/driving style to suit the circuit. Hope this helps someone out there. :)

ZulfoDK
22-10-2017, 10:11
Would it be possible to add an audible notification for when you hit (for lack of a better word) the downshift protection? R3E has this, and it actually helps me out a lot.

AFAIK Assetto Corsa also have a warning sound for over rev protection...

Keena
22-10-2017, 10:35
AFAIK Assetto Corsa also have a warning sound for over rev protection...

The Ferrari 458 in real life has the facility to simply hold the downshift paddle and it will flick through the gears automatically. Not quite sure how a warning sound would fit in here, but it does highlight the subjective nature of what we all want..I for example find the thought of the car beeping at me every time I try something stupid hateful ;)

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/question-about-downshifting-in-a-458.368255/

TorTorden
22-10-2017, 14:16

After this is adjusted, will it magically reduce rev's or would I just be more able to blow out my gearbox?
I would prefer the latter :D

But that's me, I sort of want this game to smack me in the head when I screw up.

Keena
22-10-2017, 14:30
After this is adjusted, will it magically reduce rev's or would I just be more able to blow out my gearbox?
I would prefer the latter :D

But that's me, I sort of want this game to smack me in the head when I screw up.

I'm the same. Lots of cogs bouncing across the road in the rear view mirror is appropriate in my mind for trying something like that ;)