PDA

View Full Version : VR and glasses

jimortality
13-10-2017, 09:29
I've had VR last year but sold it as I couldn't fit it with me wearing glasses. Anyone have any dealings with this and know of a way to fix it? Just vr has now come down in price and I'm quite tempted. Cheers

Bealdor
13-10-2017, 09:35
How about this? :)

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

https://vr-lens.eu/

jimortality
13-10-2017, 09:46
How about this? :)

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

That's very interesting, works out about the same price for both so something to think about. Anyone actually managed to play with their glasses in?

whip
13-10-2017, 09:51
i think the vive works ok with glasses, you'll have to research it

BazzaLB
13-10-2017, 10:08
I wear glasses in my Vive no problems.

Gloomy
13-10-2017, 10:32
If you use a rift these are an option

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

MaximusN
13-10-2017, 10:54
I have -2.75 for both eyes and can run my Vive without glasses, no problem. In fact I can still see the screendoor-effect. It's not that much different than running them with my glasses. If you're using glasses you can adjust the distance of the lenses(and screen) with the two 'dials' on the side. Pull them outward and you can rotate them to increase the distance. This will however reduce your FOV a bit.

FuriousDemon
13-10-2017, 11:35
I put on my contacts to play on Oculus. Since that’s about the only time I use them, it always takes forever. :) But the image quality is worth it as without it even with only having -1.0 in both eyes, there is a difference.

jimortality
13-10-2017, 11:55
Thanks, I need to check my prescription and see what mine says.

freeon
13-10-2017, 18:08
i use PSVR with Trinus and wear glasses. Never had any issues.

NineLine
13-10-2017, 18:49
i wear my glasses under my oculus when i don't have contacts in, no problems other than its annoying to take it on and off.

jimortality
13-10-2017, 19:24
i wear my glasses under my oculus when i don't have contacts in, no problems other than its annoying to take it on and off.

When I tried it, my glasses were right up against my eyeballs lol but I have a big head which doesn't help

Gloomy
13-10-2017, 20:39

I've tried many times, my glasses are on the small side too, but the oculus smashes them into my face, after about 15 minutes the bridge of my nose can't take it anymore. I can't see how any size glasses would be comfortable in there.

elMO-le
13-10-2017, 20:44
I wear my glasses (-3.0 both eyes) when I use Oculus CV1 ... absolut no problems, all fine

I don't know how other players can use a VR with -2,75 and no glasses, if I take my glasses off I can't see anything at the VR ... it's the same "picture" like I take my glasses off at real life

jimortality
13-10-2017, 21:12
I've tried many times, my glasses are on the small side too, but the oculus smashes them into my face, after about 15 minutes the bridge of my nose can't take it anymore. I can't see how any size glasses would be comfortable in there.

This is me as well!

MaximusN
13-10-2017, 22:02
I wear my glasses (-3.0 both eyes) when I use Oculus CV1 ... absolut no problems, all fine

I don't know how other players can use a VR with -2,75 and no glasses, if I take my glasses off I can't see anything at the VR ... it's the same "picture" like I take my glasses off at real life

I think the focal distance of the Vive is shorter. Like around 70cm's or less. So that's within viewing range for me. At least at that resolution. I actually wish it was a bit further, because that would solve the screendoor effect a bit(by effectively blurring it).

imz14u2nv
14-10-2017, 01:21
I have -2.75 for both eyes and can run my Vive without glasses, no problem. In fact I can still see the screendoor-effect. It's not that much different than running them with my glasses. If you're using glasses you can adjust the distance of the lenses(and screen) with the two 'dials' on the side. Pull them outward and you can rotate them to increase the distance. This will however reduce your FOV a bit.

I agree with this, I have pretty weird vision, I am far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other, but, I found my glasses to be annoying as they would touch my face sometimes and get smeared so I started using the Vive without my glasses and it seems to work just fine that way. You should try that and see if that can work for you.

GTsimms
14-10-2017, 04:17
Check signature, VR Cover. If you still want to use glasses.

tylercarr95
14-10-2017, 21:32
Just ordered a rift and normally wear glasses but also have contacts. Guess I will be wearing them more often seeing that the lens option won't apply to me because me and my roommate will both be using it in all of our spare time when it arrives :cool:

KingWild
14-10-2017, 22:00
VR Cover has an extended face plate works good plus i cut the foam for my frames to relieve some pressure

imz14u2nv
14-10-2017, 23:00
VR Cover has an extended face plate works good plus i cut the foam for my frames to relieve some pressure

I have VR Cover and I still think it depends on your eyeglass style.

Skev
15-10-2017, 20:17
I gave up wearing glasses after my first go and just wore contacts, although even this wasn't ideal as I found they would dry out with extended play (not to mention the nuisance factor of having to 'dress' for VR).
I have since gotten this lens adapter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460 printed by a friend. The file also includes details of where to buy some suitable lenses. The whole thing cost me about 20 and has made playing my Rift a joy. Highly recommend.

GTsimms
15-10-2017, 21:05
Mine are the thin, so I did not need to cut the foam.

Rex191191
15-10-2017, 22:12
I use my glasses with the Rift with no problems. Just have to put the front bit on first and good to go. Only issue is if the lenses are cold and some steaming up occurs but otherwise no problem

jimortality
16-10-2017, 15:51
After further consideration, and I don't know why I didn't consider it I'm going to try some contact lenses and If they work then problem solved and I can just use them for VR.

cokinger
17-10-2017, 04:10
That's very interesting, works out about the same price for both so something to think about. Anyone actually managed to play with their glasses in?

I have these Lenses in my CV1, because my Glases are to big for the CV1 and im no Contactlens user.
Played quite some hours with the Lenses and no problems so far.

jimortality
13-02-2018, 10:56
So my prescription is

SPH R -1.50
SPH L -2.75

CYL R -1.50
CYL L- 0.75

AXIS R 160.0
AXIS L 45.0

NEAR R +1.75
NEAR L +1.75

On the vr lense lab there is something called PD anyone know what that is? and am I right in thinking some of you have worse vision than me and don't wear glasses for your rift? To be honest, when I tried out the rift 18 months ago I ended up not using glasses and it seemed ok I think. I've got it in my head that because I wear glasses when I'm gaming then I need to wear them with a rift. Oh and If someone can understand my prescription that would also be appreciated thanks

Bealdor
13-02-2018, 11:02
On the vr lense lab there is something called PD anyone know what that is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance

So my prescription is

SPH R -1.50 Negative values mean you're short sighted
SPH L -2.75

CYL R -1.50 You're suffering from astigmatism, which means your cornea isn't shaped correctly
CYL L- 0.75

AXIS R 160.0 These values define the shape of your astigmatism
AXIS L 45.0

NEAR R +1.75 Defines how good your near reading is
NEAR L +1.75

Oh and If someone can understand my prescription that would also be appreciated thanks

Answers in quote.

https://opticalworld.wordpress.com/2007/01/25/how-to-read-an-eyeglass-prescription/

jimortality
13-02-2018, 11:59
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance

Answers in quote.

https://opticalworld.wordpress.com/2007/01/25/how-to-read-an-eyeglass-prescription/

Ok, glad we cleared that up :confused:

ChivasRx
13-02-2018, 14:40
For a while I dismissed VR because of glasses but really want to try it out. I have glasses for computer use only, using my prescription for ~36 inches. I don't even think those would work for VR as I've seen the focal distance of these VR units is about two meters. What do you guys think? I have small wire frames. I'm going to the Microsoft store to check out some of the MR headsets later this week, and see if any have the room for small frames to get in them. I hear the Samsung Odyssey may be a solution as several glass wearers say there's plenty of room. We'll see.

MaximusN
13-02-2018, 15:16
For a while I dismissed VR because of glasses but really want to try it out. I have glasses for computer use only, using my prescription for ~36 inches. I don't even think those would work for VR as I've seen the focal distance of these VR units is about two meters. What do you guys think? I have small wire frames. I'm going to the Microsoft store to check out some of the MR headsets later this week, and see if any have the room for small frames to get in them. I hear the Samsung Odyssey may be a solution as several glass wearers say there's plenty of room. We'll see.

I'd say the focal distance of the Vive is way shorter than 2 meters. I'd even say within a meter.

jimortality
13-02-2018, 15:30
You see I'm shyort sighted meaning I struggle to see thing at distance so I don't think I need my glasses for gaming. I've just raced for an hour without them so maybe I could get away without

Schnizz58
13-02-2018, 15:47
I'm farsighted and need cheaters for reading. Is that going to cause me a problem with VR?

GTsimms
13-02-2018, 18:02
I'm farsighted and need cheaters for reading. Is that going to cause me a problem with VR?

It shouldn't, but it's depends on distance of the object in VR for how bad you need them cheaters. I'm nearsighted with 20/20 from 12-18 inches. So, that means using my glasses in VR.

FastForward352
13-02-2018, 18:15
I'm 52, I'm short-sighted AND far sighted, and I use my oculus with the WidmoVR prescription lenses : it's just perfect for me, though I have a strong correction (-5 and -6). It's far more comfortable than with glasses on. And I ordered a replacement facial interface from VRcover. When my friends come home, I don't have to remove them for my friends and put them back when I use the headset, it's really great ! :D

Pigmachine
13-02-2018, 18:45
I have Presbyopia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia) = everything closer then ~40 cm from my eyes is just a blur. Never needed or used glasses, as my sight is perfect on any other distance. The Rift worked wonders, not only does it work, it virtually let me see things close up again.

So it actually also became a close sight simulator for me. ;)

Schnizz58
13-02-2018, 19:05
I have Presbyopia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia) = everything closer then ~40 cm from my eyes is just a blur. Never needed or used glasses, as my sight is perfect on any other distance. The Rift worked wonders, not only does it work, it virtually let me see things close up again.

So it actually also became a close sight simulator for me. ;)

This actually is what I have too. I had perfect vision all my life until I hit 50. Then things up close started to be hard to read. So I started using reading glasses for anything closer than arm's length. (It was either that or get longer arms.) Therefore, if the Rift works for you, it should work for me too. Thanks very much!

jimortality
13-02-2018, 19:11
This actually is what I have too. I had perfect vision all my life until I hit 50. Then things up close started to be hard to read. So I started using reading glasses for anything closer than arm's length. (It was either that or get longer arms.) Therefore, if the Rift works for you, it should work for me too. Thanks very much!

What about me

Pigmachine
13-02-2018, 19:32
What about me
Depends on distance. I didn't dare to give any advice that I later have to eat up with a haggis as a side dish.

What every Rift user should get anyway, is VR covers with 'non-spongebob' material.
As the original foam is so disgusting (well gets after a few hours of usage, and really hard to clean, also takes a lot of time to dry the mix of sweat and dead skin *urk*)
When you pick the medium (?) package, you can choose one bigger for glasses, and a normal one (the inserts)
About the different materials, I actually liked their normal standard black PU-leather the best, and I've had 12+ hour sessions without removing the Rift.

you said it worked OK without glasses? Does it work fine for more then an hour, or do you feel any eye strain? do you see all the numbers on the HUD clearly. If so there shouldn't be much problems as it is.
Some find the VR covers bigger insert don't fit well with their glasses, so I leave the question, and final verdict, to the ones that are just on the limit with their vision/glasses

jimortality
20-02-2018, 17:14
Those who have had lense inserts, do you remember how long they took for delivery?

FastForward352
20-02-2018, 17:48
I'm in France, and WidmoVR are in Poland, it took about 3 weeks and only 9€ for shipping. I needed "high index" because of the strong correction and to avoid too thick glasses, maybe that's why it took so long, I don't know.

jimortality
28-02-2018, 12:40
So I went with this option for my lenses

I emailed 2 companies and the first one to email back got my business. I don't know If they're in right but I can definitely tell the difference with and without so they must be. All the writing is clear and I can see the dash etc nice and clear. Took a week from ordering to delivery so all in all, glad I don't have to mess about anymore. Looks like like there has been some work done for patch 5 so things should look even better.

Drizute
01-03-2018, 12:29
I purchased and use the VR-lens lenses on a Vive, outstanding... remember you are using your "far" not near prescription when ordering.
In addition to clearing things up for me, they protect the Fresnel s, I can use a glass wipe on them after my forehead or eyelashes touch and mark them.
Yes I have them very close to increase the FOV.

highly recommend, only thing is mine came from Thailand in the post, took 21 days to the USA. FYI

inthebagbud
01-03-2018, 12:52
So I went with this option for my lenses

I emailed 2 companies and the first one to email back got my business. I don't know If they're in right but I can definitely tell the difference with and without so they must be. All the writing is clear and I can see the dash etc nice and clear. Took a week from ordering to delivery so all in all, glad I don't have to mess about anymore. Looks like like there has been some work done for patch 5 so things should look even better.

I am glad they made a difference I have ordered some from WidmoVR - on their way to me now - having read this thread.

Thank you for starting the thread as it was something I actually never considered as I assumed the adjustment on the Oculus was there to help in this .