PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading to T3PA?

warth0g
14-10-2017, 11:05
Hi, I have the T150 which Iíve been really quite happy with but less happy with the brake. Iím toying with upgrading the pedals to the normal (not pro) T3PA pedals. Theyíre pretty cheap and the conical brake mod looks tempting.

Does anyone have experience of this combo? Worth it for better braking feel? Iím short on space so use a wheel stand pro as my ď rigĒ if that matters.

Mrocz
14-10-2017, 12:02
I have T300RS and I have upgraded to T3PA pedals and i think they are worth it. Great set and breaking feels more immersive. I also recommend to get Th8a shifter with this pedals. Gear chaging in old H Shifter cars with manual clutch is very satisfying.

RoccoTTS
14-10-2017, 12:35
Definitely worth it, much more progressive feel. Here is a good review and any info you need :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmA0-9DECU

GTsimms
14-10-2017, 14:22
Yes, but I would recommend the pro!

Neil Bateman
14-10-2017, 14:32
Don't really want to be a party pooper but I just sent my T3PA Pro pedals back as within 4 weeks the throttle pedal started spiking badly, having looked up on youtube and various forums quite a few people are having the same issue.

I would advise reading up as much as you can but as with everything maybe I just got unlucky, how quickly the problem appeared has put me off having them replaced so I went for a refund, having said that had it not been for that throttle problem I though the pedals with the conical brake mod fitted were really good for the low cost.

Robhd
14-10-2017, 14:53
I've had mine for about 18 months... Much more immersive but you really need the T3PA gearshift as well to get the best out of them!

warth0g
14-10-2017, 17:49
Awesome thanks for the suggestions and link. I took the plunge and have ordered them. The shifter might be next!

bradleyland
14-10-2017, 23:37
The T3PA pedals are $110, while the T3PA-Pro pedals are $150. IMO, the extra $40 is worth it for the upgrade in quality. The base on the T3PA-Pro pedals is much nicer, and the conical brake mod is less prone to failure. The way the brake mod mounts is completely different. The Pro pedals mount it inside a steel C-channel, while the regular pedals use a long bracket. My bracket cracked and broke at the base. It's just a matter of fatigue.

My T3PA brake pedals broke after about 1.5 years of usage. That's not terrible, but for $40 more, you can get pedals that are far less likely to break, so I think it's worth the extra money.

Diablo944
15-10-2017, 04:33

I am another that loves the t3pa pro pedals. Had mine for over a year and still consider them to be awesome. The conical brake mod is a must to me, total game changer to not having it fitted. I Recently bought a heavier duty item from ebay (think its called the DB mod) that has improved things even more for me. Better resistance to pressure and a nicer feel (obviously a personal preference). I wish I had done a side by side pic, but the others on here will know just by looking at their conical mod that this is considerably beefier.

The only downside I found was that on GT Sport (which insanely doesn't have a pedal calibration option) the brake was hard to press enough for good heavy braking feel on that game, whilst in pcars it's awesome.

The vanilla t3pa pedals looked a little like all I would be getting was more of the same as came with the t300 but with an extra pedal, while the pro set (albeit more expensive) looked, and are, considerably more substantial. Plus you have the option to invert them to use in top mount (like most regular cars) or floor mount.

The th8a shifter is sublime though. No qualms about saying thats the best thing since sliced bread in shifter terms. Nice, solid and feels spot on. You can adjust the weight/feel of the shift if its too soft/hard for your liking. The only thing I wasnt keen on was the gear knob, its a cheap feeling item. But you can get any normal car universal gear knob for it. Be aware though, its an odd size thread. I cant remember the actual thread size, but when I went to look for one I found very few threaded items online in UK to fit it. Also, transitioning from H shifter to sequential is a bit of a faff. But all I use is the H shifter or paddles on the wheel. Its never set up as a sequential.

Olijke Poffer
15-10-2017, 20:43
I have the T3PA (not the pro) pedals with the rubber mod. I stumbled upon the spring mod for these pedals.
Does anyone has experience with this? Does this spring replace the rubber mod or is it an addition to?
Do you need to buy 3 springs for each pedal 1 or just only for the break pedal.
Is it worth to spend the money on these?
See site underneath, this is a Dutch site so I used goole translate to make it readable for you non Dutchies.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&u=https%3A//www.mardomedia.nl/simulatie-hardware/racing-wheels/thrustmaster/loadcell-kits/rempedaal-veer-voor-thrustmaster-t3pa-pedalen.html

Diablo944
15-10-2017, 21:36
Sure my pros came with a spring and a cone mod so you could choose which to go with. General concensus ditches the spring and goes with the cone. First time I saw someone going the opposite way there

Olijke Poffer
15-10-2017, 21:49
Sure my pros came with a spring and a cone mod so you could choose which to go with. General concensus ditches the spring and goes with the cone. First time I saw someone going the opposite way there
Sorry but my native language is Dutch.,
General concensus ditches the spring and goes with the cone.
What do you mean with this? I have a hard time understanding what you say with the above sentence . :o

maxx69
16-10-2017, 00:21
Had two sets of T3PA pedals both went wrong after 12 months (2 year warranty) upgraded to the pros .
100% more pedal for your money ...love em
My advice like many others is go for the pros

Olijke Poffer
16-10-2017, 06:23
If you have the money and you’re a sim fanatic I would say yes but as I’m more an occasional driver I will stick to the normal T3PA pedals.. they are just fine for me. Same as my T150 wheel. In could buy a better one but as said, I play not enhough to justify the costs...

pa_pinkelman
16-10-2017, 08:11
I have T300RS and I have upgraded to T3PA pedals and i think they are worth it. Great set and breaking feels more immersive. I also recommend to get Th8a shifter with this pedals. Gear chaging in old H Shifter cars with manual clutch is very satisfying.

Agree :encouragement:

maxx69
16-10-2017, 11:13
Buy from Amazon ....no fuss returns

Atak Kat
16-10-2017, 15:47
I have the T3PA pro pedals and really like them. Never had any issues with them.
The cone mod for the brake (comes with the pedals) works quite well, I think. Calibration is important though.
When calibrating you really need to push the brake hard so that it gets as much travel in the calibration as possible. If you don't you'll find that the brakes (in the game) lock too easy. I think we tend to push on the brake a lot harder when in game than we realize. And if not calibrated for that, you end up locking up the brakes a lot....

GTsimms
16-10-2017, 15:51
^ Agree, press hard during calibration!

bradleyland
16-10-2017, 16:20
I have the T3PA (not the pro) pedals with the rubber mod. I stumbled upon the spring mod for these pedals.
Does anyone has experience with this? Does this spring replace the rubber mod or is it an addition to?
Do you need to buy 3 springs for each pedal 1 or just only for the break pedal.
Is it worth to spend the money on these?
See site underneath, this is a Dutch site so I used goole translate to make it readable for you non Dutchies.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&u=https%3A//www.mardomedia.nl/simulatie-hardware/racing-wheels/thrustmaster/loadcell-kits/rempedaal-veer-voor-thrustmaster-t3pa-pedalen.html

That looks like a much stiffer spring. I would not install a stiffer spring in the regular T3PA pedals. The pedals are made mostly of plastic, and I would be concerned about the durability with a stiffer spring.

The brake mod in my T3PA pedals failed. You can see by comparing to Diablo944's photos (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55377-Worth-upgrading-to-T3PA&p=1397246&viewfull=1#post1397246) that the brake mod on the regular T3PA pedals isn't the same as the T3PA Pros. The design on the Pros is far more durable.

I made this video below, but later learned that the calibration issue is actually 100% Thrustmaster related. The pedal must be cycled past 50% travel before the wheel base will calibrate the signal sent to the game. This is an internal calibration that occurs before you load any game. This means that you have to adjust your brake mod so that there is some travel before it hits the cone. I never really liked this, because some games don't have deadzone adjustment, so you can end up with 50% braking force before you hit the cone. That defeats the entire purpose of the brake mod. Anyway, this is just a digression. For anyone serious about sim racing, I highly recommend saving up for a load cell mod (Ricmotech), or buying a set of pedals with a load cell built in (Fanatec CSPv3 or CLS Elite w/LC).

Back on topic, you can see how the brake mod fails in the video below. This failure will occur regardless of how you adjust the brake mod, because the long bracket flexes a tiny bit every time you press the brake pedal. This leads to a fatigue crack in the bracket, which ends in failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRUJ2UOAvs8

Olijke Poffer
16-10-2017, 16:53
Yeah I have seen the vid before. All things can brake of course. As said, if you’re a fanatic sim racer and you play for hours and hours I can understand that you buy a more expensive pedal set and wheel as well. For me there is no need voor a T3PA Pro pedal setup. I don’t want to spend that amount of money on something I occasionally use..

bradleyland
16-10-2017, 22:00
Sure thing, I completely understand. I just wouldn't do that spring upgrade on the T3PA pedals.

Rosinbag1
19-10-2017, 03:15
Have the T3pa with my T150, so far love them, worth the upgrade. Got them from B&H in NYC and under $100 and quick cheap shipping.

Stinger061
19-10-2017, 04:06
I also use a Wheel Stand Pro and just this week have upgraded to the T3PA pedals to go with my T150. The feel on the pedals is vastly superior to the standard pedals and are well worth the upgrade. The only issue with the Wheel Stand Pro is that the 3 pedal setup makes it a little difficult to use the brake because of the position of the centre pole (I'm a left foot braker). I'd still recommend the upgrade as with a bit of tweaking it's just a case of getting comfortable with the new position of the brake compared with the base 2 pedal setup

warth0g
20-10-2017, 19:04
I also use a Wheel Stand Pro and just this week have upgraded to the T3PA pedals to go with my T150. The feel on the pedals is vastly superior to the standard pedals and are well worth the upgrade. The only issue with the Wheel Stand Pro is that the 3 pedal setup makes it a little difficult to use the brake because of the position of the centre pole (I'm a left foot braker). I'd still recommend the upgrade as with a bit of tweaking it's just a case of getting comfortable with the new position of the brake compared with the base 2 pedal setup

Yes, I'm very pleased with my new T3PA, the braking is much, much better. I agree with the slight issue of the central column of the wheel stand pro, but I shifted the plate of the brake to the far left and now it's fine. All round, it's a very good upgrade for 100 bucks or so, well worth it.

Jbpd
20-10-2017, 19:43
Anyone upgraded from standard T300rs wheel to the Alcantara wheel rim?

What are the main differences other than material, worth the money?

SGETI
20-10-2017, 20:50

I found mine online for $99.00. Money well spent. The Alcanatra wheel is larger, feels more natural. Forgot exact size, (just look it up). I had a chance to buy at $149.00 but I did not think the value was justified. Still don't. I waited for a deal.

If this wheel ever broke would i replace? Yes,

bradleyland
20-10-2017, 22:03

Ferrari Alcantara is 30cm
Base wheel is 28cm

warth0g
21-10-2017, 11:28
I had a quick race last night and, while it was fun, I couldn’t figure out why I liked the new pedals so much. They worked fine but not as well as I remember when I first set them up. I wondered if it had just been new toy infatuation. So I recalibrated them and that did the trick. Back to being brilliant, night and day difference to the stock t150 pedals. Anyone else had this? I can see myself recalibration every time to be on the safe side.

Jbpd
24-10-2017, 20:20
Took the plunge on bought the Ferrari wheel rim Alcantara, all I can say is should have done it before!

Great upgrade