PDA

View Full Version : A question please (radiator)

Madmazz116
15-10-2017, 12:01
During the race the engineer often tells me that I need to get air into the radiator as its overheating , Im sure ive read on here that you can "open" the radiator, Ive seen that option in edit setup, but is it possible to do that during the race when the problem comes up?

Also with the stabilty control , it sort of brakes for you in corners rather than just stopping you slide , and you get this slow down bit , is that what it supposed to do? (if im making sense)

cheers.

GenBrien
15-10-2017, 12:03
not once the race has started

GothicMatt
15-10-2017, 12:03
I dont believe you can do it during the race unfortunately

Madmazz116
15-10-2017, 12:04
not once the race has startedok thanks

MaximusN
15-10-2017, 12:09
Also with the stabilty control , it sort of brakes for you in corners rather than just stopping you slide , and you get this slow down bit , is that what it supposed to do? (if im making sense)

IRL most stability controls work with braking to counter unwanted rotation(oversteer) or to promote rotation(reduce understeer). There's also things like torque vectoring of course and some cars can slightly adjust the steering angle (like a delta on your input), but that's just a few degrees most of the time.

LMR TopSecret
15-10-2017, 12:25
I get a lot of problems on some tracks in the 911gt3 and the engine will exceed the limit from around 100 before you get engine damage to the point where I’m at 130 and I’m short shifting and being slow on downshifts. But worse case in most scenarios you’ll have to short shift and shift later when braking

Keena
15-10-2017, 12:29
Out of interest has anyone done a comparison of pace with the radiator fully open compared to fully closed? Just wondered if there's any point to having it at anything other than 100% open?

LMR TopSecret
15-10-2017, 12:32
I’ve ran it on mixed speed/cornering tracks in lobbies where I have the same tune and the stock 75% and gone into lobbies with 0 simulation damage and that and gained like 2-3 tenths at best with it fully off to stock

Keena
15-10-2017, 12:35
Ahh ok. Thanks for the info. Perhaps cars heavy on aero have a bigger impact? I'm in career mode in formula rookie, heading to ginetta junior and Clio next so I guess 100% open is just the simplest thing to do..

Roger Prynne
15-10-2017, 12:42
Out of interest has anyone done a comparison of pace with the radiator fully open compared to fully closed? Just wondered if there's any point to having it at anything other than 100% open?

At 100% it will let more air in therefore reducing the aerodynamics, at a low number it is more streamline therefore increasing the aerodynamics.
Does that make sense for you?

Keena
15-10-2017, 12:45
Yeah thanks Roger. I understand the concept so I was curious if the performance hit was higher on high downforce cars as on the FR and ginetta junior it seems negligible.

LMR TopSecret
15-10-2017, 13:01
Well every car has its own aerodynamic values. It’s more in terms of the speed a car achieves. A car hitting a higher speed will benifit more from a closed radiator. But it all depends on the car and track combo. Long beach for example Is generally a hot track and only has 1 straight that would benefit a more open radiator

Keena
15-10-2017, 13:12
Ahh ok. Light is beginning to dawn. So it's more critical in terms of achieving a top speed rather than overall aerodynamic efficiency in cornering etc?

GenBrien
15-10-2017, 13:48
you wont really noticed it except for long straight like LeMans or Nordshleife. its not as impating as wings, but in pure top speed itll make a difference. Like brake's ducts

cpcdem
15-10-2017, 17:29
It helps in both acceleration and top speed, but the difference is not really big. I have tested with the GT3s, acceleration from standstill, when passing a certain line I'm say at 250kmh with radiator completely open and 252 with it completely closed. Also top speed was around 2-3 kmh more. Very small difference, probably not worth closing them a lot and having the risk of blowing your engine at the last corner of the last lap of a race as I realized the hard way today :)

I am also seeing a lot of people completely closing brake ducts, because that was indeed giving much benefit in PC1. In my tests in PC2 so far, I see almost zero speed benefit now, so I think no worth closing them more than 50%, since that can overheat them and you lose in braking distance.

Edit. Just noticed GenBrien above mentioned brake ducts impacting speed, it was not my intention to challenge his post. But in my tests I am not seeing this, will do some further testing with other cars to make sure.

GenBrien
15-10-2017, 18:43
Edit. Just noticed GenBrien above mentioned brake ducts impacting speed, it was not my intention to challenge his post. But in my tests I am not seeing this, will do some further testing with other cars to make sure.
well maybe I did not word well my sentence, but I was saying that the brake ducts was about the same thing as the radiator in term of performences= not really a big gain/lost compared to teaking wings angles
you're basicaly saying the same thing as me :)

cpcdem
15-10-2017, 19:43
well maybe I did not word well my sentence, but I was saying that the brake ducts was about the same thing as the radiator in term of performences= not really a big gain/lost compared to teaking wings angles
you're basicaly saying the same thing as me :)

Ah, ok, misunderstood! Although the radiator does have a little bit of an impact, in contrast to brake ducts :)

Keena
16-10-2017, 07:32
Thanks guys. I think while I'm in these lower formulas im going to play it safe and keep radiators open, especially given how I drive them ;)