PDA

View Full Version : Variable Steering Ratio, Assists, and Online Lobbies

bradleyland
15-10-2017, 15:43
I've overheard less several of my PS4 friends telling other people to set their Speed Sensitivity setting to a value of 45. When I ask why, the only reason anyone can give is, "Because Ben Collins said so." Which is a rubbish reason (no offense to Ben Collins). The reason is, "It makes it easier to drive twitchy cars at high speed." That is, by definition, an assist.

Side note: I have no idea if this is what Ben Collins actually said, because everyone I hear repeating this suggestion says it was in the WMD private forums. I have my doubts that he actually suggested wheel users should use Speed Sensitivity 45, but that's an entirely separate discussion. It's heresay. That's not really what matters though what matters is that tons of people are running Speed Sensitivity now.

The help text for this setting suggests that it varies the output ratio of the user's steering input based on speed. This makes cars less twitchy at high speeds. IMO, in the context of driving with a FFB wheel, this is an assist, and I'd really like to see it classified as such. If a race car doesn't have a variable ratio steering rack, then part of the challenge of learning to drive quickly is managing your inputs. If you can't manage light steering input at speed, then that's a skill area you should be working on. This is, of course, a different matter if you're driving with a gamepad. I can't imagine that the cars are drivable without Speed Sensitivity.

In general, I have no argument with people who use assists. That's your prerogative, but in the lobbies I race in, we use force realistic driving aids, in an effort to replicate an realistic driving environment. Currently, I don't know of a way to disable this variable steering ratio for an online lobby.

My request would be that the "Force Realistic Driving Aids" settings in online lobbies override Speed Sensitivity to 0 for wheel users.

Aizcold
15-10-2017, 15:49
I see the point you're trying to make here, but I think it goes a bit too far. You have to consider that everyone has different equipment they race with and that may mean a speed sensitivity of zero for one person's wheel may be fine while on another wheel it feels off. I think this kind of setting is a matter of preference and not so much a driving aid.

If speed sensitivity would be set to zero, would that then also need to apply to throttle, steering and brake sensitivity? A lower brake sensitivity, for instance, may also aid people in making it easier to not lock up in cars without ABS. Is that then also a driving aid?

Again, I get your point but the system as it is now seems perfectly fine to me and I don't quite see how sensitivity settings would give anyone an unfair advantage.

bradleyland
15-10-2017, 16:19
Speed sensitivity is fundamentally different than throttle and brake sensitivity, because it is a variable ratio. If you have a wheel, you have a wheel.

This is different than feel, it's a feature of some road cars, and although I don't know of any racing applications, it's possible that there are race cars with variable steering ratio. It's easier to understand by example.

With Speed Sensitivity
Speed: 30 MPH
Steering input angle: 35
Actual steering angle: 35

Without Speed Sensitivity
Speed: 130 MPH
Steering input angle: 35
Actual steering angle: 28

When you adjust brake or throttle sensitivity, that adjustment is always static. If you adjust your brake pedal to only give you 50% braking power, then you're going to be at a disadvantage. It doesn't allow you to give 100% braking power at 130 MPH, and 50% braking power at 30 MPH, which would be quite the advantage in high downforce cars. I'd call that an assist as well.

Aizcold
16-10-2017, 18:46
I agree that they are different, but reducing brake sensitivity on my G29 pedals has made it significantly easier for me to prevent locking up while still being able to brake at 100% by pressing the pedal down entirely. Adjusting brake sensitivity only changes the curve of braking as far as I've noticed, it doesn't reduce your braking power at full depression of the brake pedal. Or if it does, that certainly isn't reflected in my braking distance or the on screen display showing brake force. So that too could still be seen as a driving aid if I follow your logic from the first post.