PDA

View Full Version : Can you only have 1 custom livery per car?

PGxTips
15-10-2017, 16:58
Was just wondering... Also, when you install a custom livery, is it a glitch that the custom livery works in game but in car-select, the custom livery is still the base white skin?

Roger Prynne
15-10-2017, 16:59
Yes and yes.

Go to the showroom to see it.

McKiernan
15-10-2017, 17:00
Yes one livery. No not a glitch that you can't see the livery until you enter either the track or photomode

PGxTips
15-10-2017, 17:01
Yes and yes.

Go to the showroom to see it.

okey dokey, cheers!

ctzn
15-10-2017, 17:01
Yes, only one custom livery per vehicle. You will only be able to see the livery while in photo mode and on the track. Not a glitch, just the way it is.

codayop
08-12-2017, 20:31
Yeah, shame this. We have a championship at work with 9 players, sometimes we choose the same car but that means we have to look the same. Custom liveries are great for two player teams, but we'd love to have the option to have 2 or more stored custom types.

Also, surely when the race is finished, the liveries could be displayed when the cars are on the podium. They look silly just white! Shame.

CDubLDD
09-12-2017, 11:23
Would be nice if it wasn’t the case where someone needed the custom livery to be able to see it. If it was like GT or iracing where everyone could see it

Raklodder
19-01-2018, 13:18
Has there been any updates regarding the use of having multiple custom liveries in store for a given vehicle or will we have to keep restarting the game and manually replace them each time?

balderz002
19-01-2018, 16:03
Still one custom skin for one car as far as i know.

Vic Flange
21-01-2018, 07:07
Does the custom livery have to be a player car or can the AI drive it ?

Wolkenwolf
21-01-2018, 07:31
Just started to paint ... and then this.
Really ? only one Skin per car ? Which year do we have ? 1993 ?

Will that change anytime ? If not, just for the record, this is ridiculous. Like another bunch of details in this game.

Olijke Poffer
21-01-2018, 07:38
Just started to paint ... and then this.
Really ? only one Skin per car ? Which year do we have ? 1993 ?

Will that change anytime ? If not, just for the record, this is ridiculous. Like another bunch of details in this game.

That are your words. Although I would not say ridiculous, but I would love to see more than one custom skin as well. If you're on a console then you have bad luck all the way because there is no customisation possible at all.
I don't know why SMS does not allow more than one custom skin. Perhaps a code wise restriction.

Vic Flange
21-01-2018, 08:00
That are your words. Although I would not say ridiculous, but I would love to see more than one custom skin as well. If you're on a console then you have bad luck all the way because there is no customisation possible at all.
I don't know why SMS does not allow more than one custom skin. Perhaps a code wise restriction.

It does seem a bit odd. Well, there goes my dream of having a 1967 F1 grid with accurate liveries. Looks like I will have to wait for the GP Legends DLC. ;)

MaXyM
21-01-2018, 09:09

What does "code wise restriction" mean?
I can assure you there is not such limitation. Everything can be programmed.
Most likely it's ROI wise decision.

But I have to admit, current state of this feature indicates that it wouldn't be much difference if it had been removed from the game at all. It seems it's here just to be on feature list. But other way it's incomplete/useless.

In fact Project cars series is full of strange design choices, especially around multiplicity of items/files:
- only a few setups per track (someone wrote he has hit max limit of 40 setups)
- unique setup names across all tracks (we have kind of track subdirectories but filenames should be unique - which is plain stupid, at least because you cannot know names of all setups while being in particular subdirectory, it's also brakes a common way how directories work, which is so common think everyone has used to)
- setups doesn't use filesystem abilities (folders/names)
- only a few pit stop strategies (btw shared between cars!!!)
- single custom skin per car (btw cannibalized comparing to default skins)
- in PC1 setups and game config stored into single file (I remember the need of deleting such file everytime patch has been released - at least during beta)

I don't know if it is consoles related (you said on consolers there is no custom skins at all?). But in PC world the "ridiculous" term is justified, since we are used to no such limitations while using filesystem available in OS.
In addition, if you go through many bugs reported around setups, you can imagine that most of them comes just from this strange design choice: attempt to implement own filesystem.

Olijke Poffer
21-01-2018, 10:55
Hard to say if You don’t know how the code is written. So perhaps there is no way for the developers to make things work.
Of course do I think that this should be possible but as long as there is no conformation from SMS then for me it Could be a restriction..

BrunoB
21-01-2018, 11:47
In fact Project cars series is full of strange design choices, especially around multiplicity of items/files:
- only a few setups per track (someone wrote he has hit max limit of 40 setups)
- unique setup names across all tracks (we have kind of track subdirectories but filenames should be unique - which is plain stupid, at least because you cannot know names of all setups while being in particular subdirectory, it's also brakes a common way how directories work, which is so common think everyone has used to)
- setups doesn't use filesystem abilities (folders/names)
- only a few pit stop strategies (btw shared between cars!!!)
- single custom skin per car (btw cannibalized comparing to default skins)
- in PC1 setups and game config stored into single file (I remember the need of deleting such file everytime patch has been released - at least during beta)
I completely agree with your setup and filesystem comments.
Im trying to name the setup files in a systematic way and have just realised that beside of other name restrictions the LENGTH of setup names is like Win95/98.

And I also agree about the laughtable decision to restrict the custom paintings to 1.
Because a lot of simracers in modern sims use a lot of energy and attention to paint their cars.
And ofcourse they want others to see their custom painted cars when they compete online.
But I admit that this displaying custom paint online demands a lot of code and specific destributed user IDs through the online servers.
But at least iRacing has shown that it is not that difficult because they does destribute the unique ID and the 3rd party company Trading Paints does the rest for free.