PDA

View Full Version : Formula C help

BCJM76
16-10-2017, 22:26
After giving up on my career in Clio cup (could not get rear tires to heat up no matter what I did) I decided to try Formula C.

The first race at Indy GP, I cannot get the car balanced. The front end slides on corner entry and I have to be very careful on corner exit or I spin. I've played around with the camber, tire pressures and the wings. I've gotten the car to the point where the rear is a bit more behaved but I'm still running at least a half second slower than the AI at 90% with 75% aggression.

Can anyone give me some insight into what I'm doing wrong? Admittedly, I don't spend a ton of time working on setups as I usually only get a few hours a week to play but I could at least get a competitive setup on project cars with the small amount of time I had. Project cars 2 is an entirely different animal, from what I have seen.

blinkngone
17-10-2017, 02:34
Hi BCJM76, sorry you haven't had a lot of responses. I never race the Formula C but one of the advantages of the new game is the ability to share set ups. Have you tried going to the track you are trying to drive in TT and using one of the set ups? On PC there are 35 times posted Indy and the majority are tuned.
See the brake bias at 57? If you are sliding at corner entry you might be locking the brakes, you can increase this if you are locking the rears or decrease it if you are locking the fronts but 95 is pretty high for pressure so if it were me I would lower it first.
See the engine braking (1) that is pretty aggressive as well, with some cars that is almost enough to slide you off throttle you can increase this so you can feather the throttle easier through a corner.
See where the ramps are? 45 Power is really aggressive, increase this should help corner exit. See the guy below? 45 coast is common but you can lower this a little.

Terrell Olvera
17-10-2017, 02:39
I found that lowering preload on the diff helped tremendously, also try lowering the coast setting. I did all my Formula C testing at Brno.

BCJM76
17-10-2017, 14:02
Hi BCJM76, sorry you haven't had a lot of responses. I never race the Formula C but one of the advantages of the new game is the ability to share set ups. Have you tried going to the track you are trying to drive in TT and using one of the set ups? On PC there are 35 times posted Indy and the majority are tuned.
See the brake bias at 57? If you are sliding at corner entry you might be locking the brakes, you can increase this if you are locking the rears or decrease it if you are locking the fronts but 95 is pretty high for pressure so if it were me I would lower it first.
See the engine braking (1) that is pretty aggressive as well, with some cars that is almost enough to slide you off throttle you can increase this so you can feather the throttle easier through a corner.
See where the ramps are? 45 Power is really aggressive, increase this should help corner exit. See the guy below? 45 coast is common but you can lower this a little.
Thanks for the response.

I'm on PS4 and can't figure out how to download shared setups. I can do it if I load a ghost lap but all of the loadable ghost laps for Indy are either in the formula x, DW-12 or formula a.

I will try what you suggested the next time I get a chance to play.

blinkngone
17-10-2017, 14:06
Sorry, maybe people will start running TT there soon so you can see the set ups. As far as I know the only way to share setups is TT.

drizzit
17-10-2017, 14:06
You can only download a setup from a ghost made with the same car at the same track as you I'm afraid so if noone has set a time there with the car you want on your system you will have to do it the manual way by screenshots as blinkngone posted for you

Brendan_86LG
19-10-2017, 01:19
On PS4 it is showing the times for all open wheel cars in Time Trial, not just the type of car your using. It also only lets you download ghosts/setups from the top 30 and the fastest Formula C car on Indy Road Course is currently 33rd so you don't have access to any of the Formula C ghosts from Indy.

I'm not sure time trial ghosts would help in this situation. I was also having a problem with oversteer in slow corners in the career race but I didn't have this problem in the time trial. I think it is more of a track temperature and tire temperature problem than a setup problem. The track temp in time trial is 120 and you also start with the tires already up to temp, the track temp for the career race is much colder than the time trial and I could never get the tires up to temp.

blinkngone
19-10-2017, 02:36
On PS4 it is showing the times for all open wheel cars in Time Trial, not just the type of car your using. It also only lets you download ghosts/setups from the top 30 and the fastest Formula C car on Indy Road Course is currently 33rd so you don't have access to any of the Formula C ghosts from Indy.

I'm not sure time trial ghosts would help in this situation. I was also having a problem with oversteer in slow corners in the career race but I didn't have this problem in the time trial. I think it is more of a track temperature and tire temperature problem than a setup problem. The track temp in time trial is 120 and you also start with the tires already up to temp, the track temp for the career race is much colder than the time trial and I could never get the tires up to temp.

Thanks Brendan. I think the Formula C tire problems will be addressed in a patch. There are glitches that occur but eventually they get worked out. Sorry everyone is having the tire problem. Can you just ignore the temperature because it is broken and just try and get a low enough pressure to get some grip? The other thing you might do is increase the camber slightly from your TT setup so you increase the contact patch. If it is oversteering because of the cold if you run more rear camber than front camber it could help. Don't really know, I don't do career or Formula C. Another thing you can try is reduce the engine braking, it's really good for a hot dry track which in Formula C let's you use the engine braking to slow the car but may be too much in low grip situations.

Stinger061
19-10-2017, 03:04
Theres been a bit of discussion over this over on the main forum and it seems the Slick tyre on the Formula C simply doesn't hold temperature properly which leads to massive handling issues. It's possible to get a decent lap out in time trial because the tyres start pre-warmed but that doesn't help in the Career series. The only solution currently is to run the 'Sports' tyre which although produces a slower lap time will hold it's temperature and therefore provide consistent, if less than ideal grip levels. Doing this and lowering the AI level to compensate for using the slower tyre has allowed me to progress through the career mode series after spending numerous hours previously trying to work out why I wasn't able to get any kind of decent lap time out of the car.

blinkngone
19-10-2017, 08:28
Theres been a bit of discussion over this over on the main forum and it seems the Slick tyre on the Formula C simply doesn't hold temperature properly which leads to massive handling issues. It's possible to get a decent lap out in time trial because the tyres start pre-warmed but that doesn't help in the Career series. The only solution currently is to run the 'Sports' tyre which although produces a slower lap time will hold it's temperature and therefore provide consistent, if less than ideal grip levels. Doing this and lowering the AI level to compensate for using the slower tyre has allowed me to progress through the career mode series after spending numerous hours previously trying to work out why I wasn't able to get any kind of decent lap time out of the car.

Thanks Stinger, some series had to use rear rain tires to get grip.

BCJM76
19-10-2017, 14:18
Thanks Stinger, some series had to use rear rain tires to get grip.

I've resorted to having to do this in the Clio cup. Cannot get the rears to hold any heat. I've cranked down the toe in the rear, ran ridiculous camber and driven on the lowest tire pressure with no results other than blue rears on my hud.

I really hope this is addressed soon. I feel I'm a better driver than having to resort to running the AI between 85-90%, especially when I can run assetto Corsa on alien and be competitive and am able to run the AI on 100% in pcars1 and destroy the field.

blinkngone
19-10-2017, 14:33
I've resorted to having to do this in the Clio cup. Cannot get the rears to hold any heat. I've cranked down the toe in the rear, ran ridiculous camber and driven on the lowest tire pressure with no results other than blue rears on my hud.

I really hope this is addressed soon. I feel I'm a better driver than having to resort to running the AI between 85-90%, especially when I can run assetto Corsa on alien and be competitive and am able to run the AI on 100% in pcars1 and destroy the field.

Sorry, they(SMS) are really aware of the problems and I am sure they are trying to fix it without mucking up something else so we have to wait. In the meantime you could try out the GT3s that don't have as many issues as formula C or Clio cup while you are waiting for the fix(s). The GT4s are not as problematic either. If it's difficult/frustrating for you with all your experience imagine what it is like for a novice? From what I have been reading it seems most people are starting out with their brake sensitivity way to high causing a lot of the instant spins that make them crazy. Novices should start in the 30s and adjust upward as they gain experience.

r34ver
12-12-2017, 18:49
Something is up with the FC at Brno, snap oversteer was really hard to deal with, reducing engine braking helped a bit. Car feels awesome at imola. (post patch 3.0)

iggy
13-12-2017, 15:56
Something is up with the FC at Brno, snap oversteer was really hard to deal with, reducing engine braking helped a bit. Car feels awesome at imola. (post patch 3.0)
What temperature is the track? And what temperature are your tires?

Most likely your over driving the car, pushing into the corner off of the rubber groove, getting a bit more front grip as you approach or pass the apex and then the rear swings around with no chance to catch it... that's what I was doing anyway.

Get your entry speed correct, stay in the groove, maintain some throttle in the middle of the corner, just enough to maintain good speed, remain patient in the corner start accelerating once you know your stable at or near the apex. A lot of throttle control is needed and you really have to stay in the groove, it's very slick on the bare pavement. It's one of the trickiest car/track combos I've encountered so far.

One of the only harder combo's is Formula C in the rain at Imola..

shiftee
15-12-2017, 15:15
Man I gotta thank you guys and the fact I found this thread, while I loved the Clio Cup I could not finish 10 laps in formula C career without spinning out no matter how much I tip toed through corners. I could tell what was happening but do not know the settings that address it -- like engine brake. I cranked that up and put Sport tires only on the rear, and now I can drive the crap out of this car. In fact I had to bump the AI up another 45 points, thats not even an exaggeration. I probably will end up even higher for the challenge now that I am not petrified of doing donuts in first gear..

on a side note, shouldn't my career team have the car in a more drivable competitive state? I just want to race cars, I'm not supposed to be in the garage covered in grease. I have limited time, and the racing is so good in this game I want to get as much of it in as I can...not spend it mucking around in setup menus and then testing the results and back and forth again and again...

iggy
15-12-2017, 15:31
Man I gotta thank you guys and the fact I found this thread, while I loved the Clio Cup I could not finish 10 laps in formula C career without spinning out no matter how much I tip toed through corners. I could tell what was happening but do not know the settings that address it -- like engine brake. I cranked that up and put Sport tires only on the rear, and now I can drive the crap out of this car. In fact I had to bump the AI up another 45 points, thats not even an exaggeration. I probably will end up even higher for the challenge now that I am not petrified of doing donuts in first gear..

on a side note, shouldn't my career team have the car in a more drivable competitive state? I just want to race cars, I'm not supposed to be in the garage covered in grease. I have limited time, and the racing is so good in this game I want to get as much of it in as I can...not spend it mucking around in setup menus and then testing the results and back and forth again and again...

I had the same thoughts about my team not being able to get me a decent setup. However now that I'm a little further into things, I think there are way to many factors involved for there to be just one or even two REALLY good setups that will work for anyone. Driving style and other factors make everyone's ideal setup a bit different from one another. Bottom line is, they don't get you the prefect setup and you have to be willing to put effort into finding that setup that is going to work well for you.

Nyreen
15-12-2017, 20:53
Tuning a car is a very complex thing. There is a lot to know of, and if you don't spend much time to understand how everything works in real life then in the game (I don't suggest learning the other way...), then you end up with a semi-default setup that is barely any better.

Truth is, when you're a gearhead like me and love not just the driving, but the mechanical beauty of those race cars, it's a pleasure everytime. Knowing how to choose the right aero depending on the situation, how to set your tyres, how a diff works, how do you properly set up your gears ratio (not 'that' straight forward), ... In Matrix 2, the old man of Zion said to Neo, both looking at the machines underneath the city, something along the lines of : "You don't have to understand how it works, but simply Why." I totally disagree with that :D

sloppysmusic
29-05-2018, 23:05
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62938-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Career-Tunes-(G29)&p=1510922&viewfull=1#post1510922

I have just completed formula c euro and World now I'm starting on the US series. I have very stable tunes and ai settings to help people out. Did the Clio cup series too. In fact all tier 6 and 5 series are in that thread now. Hope it helps!