PDA

View Full Version : Losing and regaining grip multiple times in a corner

Terrell Olvera
17-10-2017, 04:57
Lets imagine an off-camber turn. You turn in a little too fast and begin to understeer towards the outside, but you maintain steering angle and throttle position. The car regains traction, pulling you to the inside, then loses traction again and understeers you back to the outside. This repeats multiple times in the same corner, always with constant steering and throttle to try and single out the issue.

Changing preload from 0 to 20 seemed to help but it might have just been a placebo. Removing the bumpstops did nothing, neither did raising the suspension, so I'm pretty sure I'm not bottoming out. Tire pressures seem OK.

I'm new to this and am trying to understand what the cause could be. Maybe the dampers need softer slow rebound? Am I right in understanding that fast bump/rebound affects road bumps at speed and slow bump/rebound affects the car in braking and turning?

What about the springs? What are some signs of too-stiff springs?

If anyone can shed some light on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

blinkngone
17-10-2017, 14:13
Hi Terrell, I am attaching the link to the thread on dampers, Casey has a post in there and some good comments by other people as well. Basically what they are saying is the fast bumps are track and the slow bumps are your wheel input. Take a look.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55139-Post-6-Can-someone-explain-dampers