PDA

View Full Version : Drastic variance in handling characteristics from qualify to race. Help me fix!

Ball325
20-10-2017, 15:10
I've noticed some strange variances in handling characteristics from qualifying to race. I've made a strong effort to ensure my set-up stays the same. Same tire, suspension, fuel load ect... The only thing that changes is traffic and I suppose track temp and ambient. Which can affect the handling of the car, but it usually doesn't only affect one part of it.

Now I've noticed extreme understeer out of the blue when cars are behind me. I'm driving mostly GT3 and GT4 cars. Tire temps and pressures seem ok (I don't know what their operating temperature is supposed to be but it seems ball park to real life). But the understeer is not limited to when I am being followed, it usually comes up end of lap 1 and lasts 3-4 laps, and then the final lap when my tires should have less grip and I would expect to understeer, all of the sudden the car feels fine.

Now I've simulated the same run in qually and a race. 5 laps go out and full tilt for 5 laps. In Qualifying my times are consistent or I make small improvements baring any mistakes. In the race I'm generally pretty close but as this understeer develops my times fall off almost to the tune of a full second off qually time. It might take me a lap to re-adjust braking points and turn in points trying to find grip that I had a few minutes ago.

Nothing in my set up suggests that I should have an issue with the tires. I've driven GT cars for a long time, set them up, and I've never felt understeer appear like this. My question is, has anyone else noticed drastic handling changes from qualify to race? How have you combated it? I really wish I could change the units on the suspension and all. Being a silly American, I've never worked in nm or bar when setting up a car before, so it can be tough to analyze the information.

The car drives like my tires are 30 laps old and over heated, and had a set-up that was more balanced towards understeer. My set-up might be balanced slightly towards understeer as I've found a real neutral setup to be a bit unpredictable on kerbs. But this understeer that gets really bad to the point where I am just scratching my head. Hoping you guys can help me understand the game a little better so I can make the right adjustments to make my car handle.

I keep qualifying on pole and then dropping back as I am fighting tooth and nail to keep my pace up.

pkcraistlin
22-10-2017, 07:11
thanks for posting this, i thought i was going mad. and it made me fiddle with settings til i realised how to fix.

change your tires from 'auto with weather' to 'slicks' (assuming it's a dry race of course). for whatever reason, the game sometimes changes the type of tire. not sure if this is car/track/session dependent or not. for me, happened with career GT5s @ brands hatch.
hope this helps.

ETA- oh of course. it's because it's going to rain. fml.

Ball325
23-10-2017, 17:10
thanks for posting this, i thought i was going mad. and it made me fiddle with settings til i realised how to fix.

change your tires from 'auto with weather' to 'slicks' (assuming it's a dry race of course). for whatever reason, the game sometimes changes the type of tire. not sure if this is car/track/session dependent or not. for me, happened with career GT5s @ brands hatch.
hope this helps.

ETA- oh of course. it's because it's going to rain. fml.

Thanks, I guess you didn't read my post where I said that I make sure the tires are the same.

I've done more testing and it seems anytime a car is withing .7xx seconds of me I get horrible understeer.