PDA

View Full Version : Is my tuning wrong ? Or my driving ?

Nyreen
24-10-2017, 01:34
Hi everyone !

I've sunk myself into the multiplayer for two days straight and I'm having great fun. I like the single player experience, but as soon as you're confident, there's no point not to match with other players and try your best to be competitive and share racecrafts together on the track.

The cars I like driving the most are the Ford GTE and the 488 GT3. Both of these cars suit my driving style, their handling is brilliant and they're bloody fast in their category. However, I've tried multiple suspension settings on the Ferrari. At first, I was on Imola and I've loosen up the suspensions just to see how very simple tweakings may affect the handling. In fact, this twenty seconds tweaking made me 1.5 seconds faster than the 17 others in the qualifying lobby.

Later on, I've got a hard time keeping the pace on the Red Bull ring. There's a 1:30 barrier some drivers can break, I'm utterly amazed at how it's possible. It might be a setup issue, but I'm still working on my driving, to get the MOST out of the curves. Turns out, I'm way faster than the average now, except in the GT3 class...

Hang on, I may actually talk about the thread. I've cited these cars because I can see their rearview camera in the right turns ;) And on fast corners, I noticed something. To get the most speed into my corner, I try steering a little bit higher than I should. I keep hearing 2 Chainz mumbling on the road ("SKRRR SKRRR"). And I also noticed the huge tire cloud I'm making every fast right.

[If I had enough posts, you should see a screenshot of the rearview camera of a 488 GT3, steering a lot on the very fast Catalunya third corner, making clouds behind me, I even think it's annoying other drivers]

At first I thought it was a bit fun, but I noticed I'm always a bit slower in pace than the others. I do not carry as much speed as the other drivers in, for example, turn 5 on Watkins Glen and turn 3 on Catalunya (the picture). With either stock settings or my tweakings. I know my tires aren't at 32 PSI on this custom game screenshot [you don't see], but the same happens when they are.

Maybe I steer to much ? Should I care if I wear my tyres quickly, even if it's a 6 laps race ? Will I get better handling with lower inputs ?
Maybe my settings are f..ked up, and I just can't keep the pace over drivers who have done hours of tweaking before the race ?
Maybe I should git gud

blinkngone
24-10-2017, 01:55
Hi Nyreen, welcome. Good job with your tuning on the Ferrari at Imola.:D The GT3 is a tough class, fewer people running GTE at the moment. Carrying more speed can be a number of things, some of them you apparently already know such as steering inputs. If you have too much camber this will affect your speed somewhat as more camber increases the drag. The drivers who have years of experience tuning are going to have an advantage, even on a short track a good driver/tuner can gap you by .5 seconds so it gets worse on a longer track. Yes, is always preferable to get gud. In TT you can hone your skills and share setups so you can see what the better driver/tuners are doing, don't be disappointed if you use their setups and are still slower, you still will have to adjust the tuning to fit your driving.

Smoking tire thread. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54906-KNOWN-ISSUE-Outside-wheels-smoking-out-of-fast-corners

Tire temps thread below yours. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55303-Tire-temps-pcars-2

Nyreen
24-10-2017, 11:01
Oh alright, it seems the outside tires smoking are a common problem. I'll not worry about that.

I've came accross the tire temps thread before posting mine, this GT Planet thread is a game changer for me as of now ! And this is why I mentionned my temps on the topic, I was still making clouds on a 10 laps Watkins Glen race. Skrrr skrrr all the way

I'll try to use other driver's tunings to understand how it can improve a laptime. I'm still a noob in this category. I've trained my ears to do the exact same job with sound engineering, but I've yet to train my hands to tell me what's wrong and where's the issue.

Edit : I was wondering if my mid-corner speed was affected with my throttle lift understeer. I'm not used to keep a little bit of gas while correcting my line.
Oddly enough, I do it oftenly on my motorcycle, with the rear brake.

blinkngone
24-10-2017, 12:29
Oh alright, it seems the outside tires smoking are a common problem. I'll not worry about that.

I've came accross the tire temps thread before posting mine, this GT Planet thread is a game changer for me as of now ! And this is why I mentionned my temps on the topic, I was still making clouds on a 10 laps Watkins Glen race. Skrrr skrrr all the way

I'll try to use other driver's tunings to understand how it can improve a laptime. I'm still a noob in this category. I've trained my ears to do the exact same job with sound engineering, but I've yet to train my hands to tell me what's wrong and where's the issue.

Edit : I was wondering if my mid-corner speed was affected with my throttle lift understeer. I'm not used to keep a little bit of gas while correcting my line.
Oddly enough, I do it oftenly on my motorcycle, with the rear brake.

Hi Nyreen, you need to look at your engine braking settings and LSD, most people are using Clutch LSD so you have settings to look at here. Race engineer is good here as well.
See the ramp angle(60) and the engineers explanation? Since 90 degrees is off you need to increase the ramp angle to reduce the understeer you described if you are correct in your analysis. No big changes here, 5 at a time.
You can also change clutch packs, reducing the number might help in tight corner entry, or adjust preload. Start with ramps since you are new and the go deeper as you learn more.

blinkngone
24-10-2017, 19:20
Hi Nyreen, here is another thread to keep track of as you begin setting up your own cars. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55787-THE-INSIDER-S-GUIDE-Weekly-In-game-Guide-by-Yorkie065

Nyreen
24-10-2017, 20:02
Thank you for all this feedback !

I was messing up a bit with the settings and I finally got under 1:30 at the Red Bull Ring (1:29:7 something). But my satisfaction did not last long. I did a Watkins Glen race, into the qualifyings I've pushed as most as I could (1:46:XX), the pole was around 1:42:700. Was watching the guy, he had insane trail braking technique. Turns out he's playing loose setup. After the race, I've tried the loose setup as well, did a 1:43 on my first hotlap. I've found the reason why I couldn't carry enough speed into the corners, the car wasn't tail happy enough. [Problem Solved]

What felt weird was the tire pressure. I've been faster with 24 PSI than 32. It feels awkwardly planted.

Ball325
24-10-2017, 20:08
Thank you for all this feedback !

I was messing up a bit with the settings and I finally got under 1:30 at the Red Bull Ring (1:29:7 something). But my satisfaction did not last long. I did a Watkins Glen race, into the qualifyings I've pushed as most as I could (1:46:XX), the pole was around 1:42:700. Was watching the guy, he had insane trail braking technique. Turns out he's playing loose setup. After the race, I've tried the loose setup as well, did a 1:43 on my first hotlap. I've found the reason why I couldn't carry enough speed into the corners, the car wasn't tail happy enough. [Problem Solved]

What felt weird was the tire pressure. I've been faster with 24 PSI than 32. It feels awkwardly planted.

I don't know if we are 100% on target pressures and temps for the tires yet. Depending on the type of tire 32psi might be too high. I know many years ago we would generally start our slick tires in the 17-19psi range, cold of course.

cpcdem
24-10-2017, 20:26
I don't know if we are 100% on target pressures and temps for the tires yet. Depending on the type of tire 32psi might be too high. I know many years ago we would generally start our slick tires in the 17-19psi range, cold of course.

See this, for GTs, the suggested optimal pressure is around 26 psi:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55303-Tire-temps-pcars-2&p=1400146&viewfull=1#post1400146

Ball325
24-10-2017, 20:33
See this, for GTs, the suggested optimal pressure is around 26 psi:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55303-Tire-temps-pcars-2&p=1400146&viewfull=1#post1400146

I've seen that, I've gathered that even with that we haven't seen consistent enough results to say, YES this is what you want.

Nyreen
24-10-2017, 20:56
How is the difference in handling with road temp ? Does 26 PSI tires on a 50 road grip the same as on a 28 ?

I was in a 18 people lobby, it was a 488 GT3 only, the road on Catalunya was very hot and it was very slippery ! I know these rooms are a recipe for student drivers, but half of the cars couldn't stay on the road, I kept crashing in the last turn because I've dared to drive on the inside kerb.

blinkngone
24-10-2017, 21:27
How is the difference in handling with road temp ? Does 26 PSI tires on a 50 road grip the same as on a 28 ?

I was in a 18 people lobby, it was a 488 GT3 only, the road on Catalunya was very hot and it was very slippery ! I know these rooms are a recipe for student drivers, but half of the cars couldn't stay on the road, I kept crashing in the last turn because I've dared to drive on the inside kerb.

So you lost grip on the curbing and spun out?

hkraft300
24-10-2017, 22:59
How is the difference in handling with road temp ? Does 26 PSI tires on a 50 road grip the same as on a 28 ?.

Not the same, but very close. You'll have to watch the tire temps too on a 50℃ track. The soft tires will start to lose grip >95℃.