PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Tires in Formula Rookie

iggy
24-10-2017, 03:03
Ok, I'm struggling to get up to speed in Formula Rookie. I'm using a Logitech G29. The best lap at Long Beach that I've been able to turn with slick tires on , is about 1:36 and to get that fast I feel like I'm on the ragged edge of spinning out of control, this is with stock setup. If I put rain tires on, the car seems to brake better, and is way less prone to spinning out, in fact it's darn near impossible to get it to spin, the car is much much easier to drive, and I can turn laps slightly quicker with the wet tires than I can with the slick tires.

Not sure if it's normal or not, but when in testing, when I leave the pit area, the tire indicators are green while on pit road, but as soon as I hit the race surface, the slick tires all turn blue. With the rain tires, they stay greenish colored even after leaving pit lane. With the slicks, I have to drive hard for at least 4 laps, before they get any heat in the tire, once they get a little warm, they start to become a little easier to drive, but still harder then it is to drive with the wet tires. Sport tires act very similar to the Slick tires, and I"m every bit as fast with wet tires...

Is anyone else with a PS4 experiencing this issue?

SCClockDr
24-10-2017, 03:56
Yup! I went with the wets all the way.

Atak Kat
24-10-2017, 04:04
Yes. I just use the wets.
I found also the formula Renault 3.5 behaves similar.
I spent many hours of frustration over this. Don't understand why they don't fix something like that. I assume there are many who want to go through the career path (I like it) and this tire issue just leaves you with a bad experience right away.

iggy
24-10-2017, 11:24
So, what's NOT screwed up in this game? I hate to be all negative about this, but I find it really irritating , this game is touted by many as being so accurate with regard to how the cars drive and such, and I can see glimpses of this being true ( or what I perceive to be accurate, I've never driven any of these cars in RL that I'm aware of ). But anyway, I love that this game/simulator allows a person to tweak setups and all that kind of stuff, it's what I used to love about Gran Turismo, and what Gran Turisomo seems to have stopped even trying to do. Yet, when some basics about tires just don't seem right, it's hard for me to want to put effort into tweaking setups. I mean, if the tires aren't right, how can I possibly trust that tweaks to the setup are actually working as they should, or that they will respond similarly in other areas of this game/simulator?

So, my very serious question now in general is... Exactly what parts of Project Cars 2 are not majorly effected by this kind of seemingly nonsensical tire conundrum?

FYI - Kart racing for me seems to be very odd too, extremely hard to drive around slow corners, my Logitech G29 shudders and shakes, I have to hold onto it very firmly with two hands just trying to get the steering position where I want it to be, etc... I'm struggling to believe it's even marginally realistic in how the karting experience should be ( I even tried rain tires , and that maybe seemed to help a tiny bit, but not completel ).

Kicius_PL
24-10-2017, 11:29
That's exactly what i want to say! I had the same problem in career mode, i started with Ginetta GT5 series than Formula C and first test with Formula broke me down completely. I spent 3 days frustrated to get some solution in setup this car then i read in some steam comment that it's tire bug. After changing tires from slick to wet car is unrecognizable and behaves as it should from the beginning. Definitely it's a bug and it should be fixed as soon as possible because it ruins career mode for peple who want to race with this car and don't know how to manage with this issue. BTW i'm very curious that there are there other cars with the same problem? Also don't know if it's normal or bug, but when i change tires and do not make save preset it won't remember that change and tires are set as default, it's very frustrating.

iggy
24-10-2017, 11:53
That's exactly what i want to say! I had the same problem in career mode, i started with Ginetta GT5 series than Formula C and first test with Formula broke me down completely. I spent 3 days frustrated to get some solution in setup this car then i read in some steam comment that it's tire bug. After changing tires from slick to wet car is unrecognizable and behaves as it should from the beginning. Definitely it's a bug and it should be fixed as soon as possible because it ruins career mode for peple who want to race with this car and don't know how to manage with this issue. BTW i'm very curious that there are there other cars with the same problem? Also don't know if it's normal or bug, but when i change tires and do not make save preset it won't remember that change and tires are set as default, it's very frustrating.

Yes, I'm exactly where you are with this. I want to really get in and start tweaking things, understanding setup better... but not knowing where this issue is seen and where it's not seen, has me really leery about devoting a lot of time to this. I just don't have that much time to spare doing things, that aren't really consistent across other parts of the simulator. ( I already spend more time then I have , don't have time to waste with working around 'known' issues ).

Some people have given advice that the whole career mode should be avoided until they get these issues fixed. Still others seemingly insist that there aren't any such issues.( at least one or two PC guys seem to think slicks are fine ). I know , that the same issues exist in private testing, so it's not just in the career mode that these issues cause me problems.

Funny thing is, the wet tires to me, feel quite similar to what I would maybe expect of wet tires, other then they maybe have a little too much grip... but the steering feels sloppy, like the tread is contributing to a little flex , that I can feel in the steering , and to me that feels about like I would expect when driving a tire with lots of tread. Slicks give a really solid feel, steering is very responsive, but they just don't seem to have much grip, I feel like I'm always on the verge of being out of control, yet I'm not going any faster than I go with the mushy feeling rain tires. If the slicks had as much grip as the rain tires and also had the firm feel that they have, I would be able to improve my driving quite quickly I think. As it is with the rain tires, I feel like I'm driving a boat that's gripping the road well... ( not a great feeling for going super fast )

I guess my next move is that I'm going to have to move on from some of the entry level cars and see if I find any improvements in other cars, I'm about sick of dealing with the issues I've experienced with these entry level cars ( but I still really badly want to start from entry level cars and work my way up ). I'll try to take some notes on any cars that seem more like what I would expect from their handling with slicks, maybe over time people can document the cars and situations that do work well, so that people know where to put their efforts in, rather then just 'spinning our wheels' so to speak.

warth0g
24-10-2017, 16:11
I am very confused by the tire graphic. I don't think I've ever seen it change color from green to anything else, at all. Admittedly I've really only focused on the F Rookie and the Ginetta Junior, but I have played around with a couple of other the other cars too. I've probably only done a maximum of a 5 lap race if that makes a difference. Is this normal?

iggy
24-10-2017, 16:26
I am very confused by the tire graphic. I don't think I've ever seen it change color from green to anything else, at all. Admittedly I've really only focused on the F Rookie and the Ginetta Junior, but I have played around with a couple of other the other cars too. I've probably only done a maximum of a 5 lap race if that makes a difference. Is this normal?

It's hard for me to know exactly what normal is right now. However, what I've observed is this...

When you are in the pits, change tuning by adding new tires, etc... you leave your pit stall with tires that look light green on the display.

With wet tires, when you actually reach the racing surface, that color changes slightly but is still 'green'.
With Slick, or Sport tires, when you reach the racing surface ( track ) , the color of the tires go from green to blue, instantly as you leave pit lane.

One time , at the start of a race, I saw something other than wet tires, start green and remain mostly green throughout the race, but I also believe I've seen them start out more or less blue. I have to pay more attention to this in the future.

Why I don't know what is supposed to happen... I don't know if tires at the start of a race retain some heat from using them in qualifying or not. I don't know if tires freshly put on a car should be at least greenish color as you hit the race track or not...

What would normally happen, in a real race car, is the tire would continue to warm up as you drive it. The faster/harder you drive the car, the more the tires should warm. The softer the tire, the more the tires should warm. So, I believe in one way or another , Project Cars 2 , is trying to duplicate real life in the way the tires do, or don't warm up. But, there are so many things, that I just don't know about how the creators intend for all this to work, I can only speculate... and also as a user, I truly believe the way it's working right now on my PS4, is NOT right.