PDA

View Full Version : Setup for trail braking

Marlborofranz
26-10-2017, 13:59
Hey folks,

I was just wondering how to dial in a proper setup for trail braking. Because it seems "logical" to me that the car should be a little bit understeery and as you trail the brakes, you transfer more grip to the front and then have a more balanced car.

Is this the approach or are there any specific adjustments that can be done in order to change the cars behavior for trail braking? Or is it just the default things you would change for corner entry sability? Anyone got experience with this and has some advice or tips?

Cheers

blinkngone
26-10-2017, 14:12
Hi Marlborofranz, welcome. Since no one can know how you drive you need to use the Race Engineer to guide you to get the car feeling the way you want. Let's look at 2 areas first, the Engine Braking and the LSD coast and see what the Race Engineer says to get the trail braking you are looking for. You can also try other peoples setups in TT and see what they are doing.
If you are using a Clutch LSD(90 is off so lower number is more trail) you adjust the coast ramp higher or lower to get the trail braking you want.

Marlborofranz
26-10-2017, 14:20
Hey mate,

Thanks, will give this a try. So technically I want to change similar parameters as for the normal corner entry?

blinkngone
26-10-2017, 14:37
Hey mate,

Thanks, will give this a try. So technically I want to change similar parameters as for the normal corner entry?

Well, yes and sorry about this, sort of. You can also sort cornering issues by your brake pressure and bias, downforce as well as camber adjustments but when these are adjusted the way you want the engine braking and LSD can further enhance the tuning to your liking. Springs and roll bar settings can also have an impact, then there are dampers. Some of the default settings have higher front roll bar settings. Some of the GT3 cars the front springs can't be adjusted lower making it difficult to transfer the weight to the front tires as desired in your original post. Perhaps this was done to try and reduce the advantage of one particular car make over another. This could lead to a slight understeer for corner entry in normal driving but your original question was about enhancing trail braking.

ShneebnaMRR108
26-10-2017, 15:01
Seems like a lot of the ARB's are too much in the defaults.

blinkngone
26-10-2017, 15:16
Seems like a lot of the ARB's are too much in the defaults.
Hi Shneeba. Yeah, but some really good drivers can cope with these and lay down great times(I can't) so they are compromises and everyone needs to adjust them to suit. You could also assign them to buttons maybe so you can adjust them as you drive to see what you like better without stopping, going into the tuning page.

cpcdem
26-10-2017, 16:52
I was just wondering how to dial in a proper setup for trail braking. Because it seems "logical" to me that the car should be a little bit understeery and as you trail the brakes, you transfer more grip to the front and then have a more balanced car.

Is this the approach or are there any specific adjustments that can be done in order to change the cars behavior for trail braking? Or is it just the default things you would change for corner entry sability? Anyone got experience with this and has some advice or tips?

Personally I try to put brake bias as much as possible to the rear and the cost angle as much as possible, without it becoming a problem (causing too much oversteer or spinning). Also engine braking, in tracks with not very hard braking I increase the value in the option for more stability under braking in low speed. Of course for TT or even qualifying you can go a bit more to the extremes, since if you spin sometime it's not a big deal, but for the race you generally need a more conservative approach. That's what's my current way of dealing on this matter, but it is not necessarily the most correct one! :)

Nyreen
26-10-2017, 21:18
I don't think there's such thing as a Trail Braking setup, it's more of a conventional technique (at least if you can use the most of it, which is the work of a lifetime IRL). It's a part of your driving style and you want a tuning that follows your likings. As people tend to not have the same driving - about which apex to trail in, how do you feel confident about your braking, how the car is set up under acceleration - you may have your personnal way of trailing the brakes, even if it is as simple as : brake later, the more you turn in the less you brake, so you can steer and not lock the brakes (notice how I make 'brakes' rhyme with 'brakes' ?).

However, I find it way easier to trail the brakes with a tail-happy car. You may try loose everything up a bit and see how it affects the handling and your laptimes ? I know it sounds like I'm not a tuning pro, but it's probably because I'm not. I'm a tad faster than the average (I have a screenshot of me with my family and the owner of the house with my #37 lap time at Red Bull Ring with the 488 GT3), but I've noticed the advices are really focused on one piece of the car. I don't know if it's always the best answer.

I mean, if I go out and try minus 5nm on my rear anti-roll bar, I'll not be like "OH YEAH DUDE IT'S CLEAN AF I'VE GOT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR"

(I suggest making a Vine out of this)
(I want a small percentage of it)
(To eat something else than water)

Marlborofranz
27-10-2017, 08:15
Weil that's a lot of stuff here, gonna try it :) because yesterday i almost freaked out. 1on1 race with a friend, FA on circuit of the Americas. He was able to trail brake properly and I spun often because I locked the brakes. Then we noticed he forgot to disable all driving aids after he enabled them for letting his little nephew try project cars 2...

But still I'd like to tweak this :) thanks!