PDA

View Full Version : Knockhill track cutting exploit

Dr5hade
31-10-2017, 11:14
I've been enjoying some quality online play, but been seeing some worrying cheating at Knockhill (specifically international and reverse). Some drivers are cutting out the hairpin, and taking a shortcut via the coned off road that's between the pits and the hairpin. I expect they are getting a slow-down message, but their lap times are still far quicker.

It's not a big deal, but not really what I'd call clean racing, meh. I've got it all on replay, so I know the offenders :)

Skev
31-10-2017, 11:30
You know what, reading that makes me realise why I've never so much as turned a wheel in online play. Humans spoil everything.

F2kSel
31-10-2017, 12:21
It is a big deal when that player is also a wrecker and host which is what happened the other night, his car also seemed to be indestructible.
I had trouble steering after one small crash he was hitting everything at full speed and could still drive for about 15 laps.

rich1e I
31-10-2017, 12:32
Jesus christ, you really need to check lobby settings as some people set it to 20 warnings before they get a drive through penalty. Another spot where people cut is the chicane up the hill. I've noticed that several times that people violate track limits and get away with it. I'm not sure if the penalty system works atm.

Keena
31-10-2017, 12:32
You know what, reading that makes me realise why I've never so much as turned a wheel in online play. Humans spoil everything.

I just had 3 laps of wheel to wheel racing around zolder. At one point a car came up behind into the first chicane, carrying more speed than the previous lap, obviously too much to make the corner. I go wide to let him through, he goes bouncing over those raised kerbs, spins out, and I drive through having lost just 10 meters. End of the lap im back with my main adversary.

2 points to note- 1) all this was ai! 2) If I hadn't gone wide I would've been hit in the rear and damaged, possibly spun. I went wide using 'racecraft' and successfully avoided the crash and went on to beat my main opponent.

Difficulty 90/70

I wonder how many similar incidents are managed incorrectly and put down to bugged ai..

Marlborofranz
01-11-2017, 14:44
Well... I just had a similar issue in Oulton Park. A guy with B rating of which I expected to be a fair driver just wrecked the hell out of me. He did some unfair blocking all the time and pulled into my side even though I was alongside him already. Overtook him, was pulling away when he decided to cut the tight chicane that follows just after the righthander. He just crashed my back at full speed. Some time later he was slowing down and I thought he at least was fair enough to give back my position, but in the saved replay it turned out that his radiator was just broken as hell and he had to slow down to not boil it, going 20 mph over the track.

Maybe there should also be the option to ghost peopele cutting the track massively? Even if it was just a mistake rather than planned abuse, maybe it's better to at least temporarily ghost those guys. Still quite impressed that a guy with B rating and relatively lots of skill points does these dirty moves.

rich1e I
01-11-2017, 14:58
Sometimes people get frustrated and take it on innocent people. He must've had a bad day. In those cases it's always interesting to see what his perspective was.

Marlborofranz
01-11-2017, 15:34
This is true... and this is also the reason why I don't start being angry in the chat but rather watch the replay afterwards to see what happened and whether I did the intial mistake first. But the guy was like 200 meters behind me. So either he missed the braking point completely and knew he can just safe his car by cutting the track, or he did in on purpose to regain his position. But it looks like it was on purpose because even if he fell asleep, he could have safed the car/cut the chicane without banging me off the road as I leave it. In the replay you can clearly see he wasn't about to spin or loose control, neither trying to brake nor trying to steer somewhere else. Before this incident he drove pretty consistent lines but once I approached him, being faster at each and every corner exit, he blocked me starting to sway left and right. OK, defending his position rather agressively... I backed up to not wreck us. Overtaking him later, when I was alongside him he pulled over, hitting me from the side. But on that part of the track you can go like 4 wide with the Caterhams, so in between him and me there was space for about two other cars. Still he suddenly steered to the very right, hitting me. If his intention was to block me rather than pushing me off track, he terribly misjudged all of these situations.

Just plain weird. Guess he got drunk during the race or something and then the Wodka kicked in. :p

rich1e I
01-11-2017, 15:57
This is true... and this is also the reason why I don't start being angry in the chat but rather watch the replay afterwards to see what happened and whether I did the intial mistake first. But the guy was like 200 meters behind me. So either he missed the braking point completely and knew he can just safe his car by cutting the track, or he did in on purpose to regain his position. But it looks like it was on purpose because even if he fell asleep, he could have safed the car/cut the chicane without banging me off the road as I leave it. In the replay you can clearly see he wasn't about to spin or loose control, neither trying to brake nor trying to steer somewhere else. Before this incident he drove pretty consistent lines but once I approached him, being faster at each and every corner exit, he blocked me starting to sway left and right. OK, defending his position rather agressively... I backed up to not wreck us. Overtaking him later, when I was alongside him he pulled over, hitting me from the side. But on that part of the track you can go like 4 wide with the Caterhams, so in between him and me there was space for about two other cars. Still he suddenly steered to the very right, hitting me. If his intention was to block me rather than pushing me off track, he terribly misjudged all of these situations.

Just plain weird. Guess he got drunk during the race or something and then the Wodka kicked in. :p

Yeah the replay can clarify a lot. If he steered into you that's not acceptable. I would've sent a message asking what the problem was and see what he has to say. Happened so many times to me that during the race I was wondering what the hell another driver was doing. The replay showed that I had no clue about what really was going on. Everyone has his perspective but idiotic action can always happen, unfortunately. I myself have also made moves where the guy behind must've thought "wtf?".

Keena
01-11-2017, 15:59

I'm tee-total now but I actually measured the effect of drink driving (in Project Cars1 NOT real life). A can of beer was good for a second a lap, even though it felt just as fast, and after 4 cans (4 secs down a lap which is slooooow) I turned into Sir Ramalot. I think youre probably right ;)

Marlborofranz
01-11-2017, 16:24
Yeah the replay can clarify a lot. If he steered into you that's not acceptable. I would've sent a message asking what the problem was and see what he has to say. Happened so many times to me that during the race I was wondering what the hell another driver was doing. The replay showed that I had no clue about what really was going on. Everyone has his perspective but idiotic action can always happen, unfortunately. I myself have also made moves where the guy behind must've thought "wtf?".

Yeah indeed, have made a lot of wtf mistakes as well but at least I apologized, waited in the gravel where it's safe and gave position to the guy I hit. :P

I'm tee-total now but I actually measured the effect of drink driving (in Project Cars1 NOT real life). A can of beer was good for a second a lap, even though it felt just as fast, and after 4 cans (4 secs down a lap which is slooooow) I turned into Sir Ramalot. I think youre probably right ;)

Haha nice one! I did it with a friend in dirt Rallye, Audi s1 Quattro on pikes peak full gravel. I sometimes reached the top rankings on the community events but after a couple of shots I had massive problems. Still funny as hell when you watch your friend trying to drift, heel and toe with clutch after a couple of drinks. :P

Marlborofranz
01-11-2017, 17:02
Oops, double post...

Keena
01-11-2017, 17:14
Oops, double post...

Ish shnot a problem...hic

MortICi
01-11-2017, 23:56
Speaking of knockhill, why no 26 grid slots... I know the pits are tiny but @ BTCC this year there was def more than 12 cars on track. I am trying to setup a BTCC track rotation and have to replace this track because of the low grid spots :(

Cladandadum
02-11-2017, 19:04
In career mode with the RX lites, does the ai still ignore the joker lap and not get penalised or was this fixed in the patch? Thanks.