PDA

View Full Version : Which Wheel? (PC)

Zatoichie
31-10-2017, 11:57
I've been playing racing sims with my XB1 controller for too long now. I need a good entry level wheel (for budget reasons). Can anyone recommend a low priced wheel? I play on PC.

Madhun67
31-10-2017, 12:02
g27 used is great choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctzn
31-10-2017, 12:08
Depends on your budget. T150, G29, T300 are all great choices. You can probably find some good deals with Black Friday just around the corner.

Make sure to get a wheel with FFB. You won't be disappointed.

LockeChris
31-10-2017, 12:13
When PC2 was released all I had was my old Logitech Driving Force Pro, so I used that and it worked pretty well. The very soft and sensitive pedals are a little tricky though. But that might a really low budget option for you if you get used one. I managed to get a used Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel with ClubSportPedals V1 for 190€ in the meantime, which is absolutely great value too!
I think if I wanted to get a new entry level one I'd hope for a good black friday deal on the T150, as ctzn said.

Egg90
31-10-2017, 12:32
I just got a T150 and I love it, not that I have used anything else to compare it to since a non ffb microsoft wheel in the early 2000's.
Stretch to the T150 pro and you get the superior T3PA pedal set with brake mod, yet still coming in much cheaper than other alternatives.

Edit: Be aware you cant hardmount the wheel out of the box, but you can buy a third party adaptor to do this.

GTsimms
31-10-2017, 12:34
T150 is good, but the light gearing feel and the resolution could be about 2x.

FxUK
31-10-2017, 13:00
I love my Thrustmaster TX leather Edition, it was an upgrade from a G920 (which was a sidegrade from a G25).

I will say this, the G29, G920, G25 or G27 will last you.... forever, pretty much. I can't quite recall how old my G25 is, possibly 10 years...but its still going strong.
I got the G920 because of the buttons on the wheel, but it felt almost identical to the G25, not sure why I expected any different. They are great wheels though.

However, the thrustmaster wheel just feels better overall and is quieter, imo. Less 'grinding of gears' and loud clonking noises when conveying strong bumps.

The only issue I had with the Thrustmaster wheels, is the rubber used on the wheel itself (other than leather / alcantara edition). It has that cheap feeling, its sticky, feels like it will wear down quickly and...yeah, I just hated it, especially when compared to the logitech. I sent one back and chose the leather one instead, which is similar quality to the G series, again, in my opinion.

Also, the Thrustmaster pedals, other than the T3PA Pro set are not as nice as those you get from Logitech, but as per my sig, I'm not using the included pedals, I stuck with my G25 ones ;)

My summary is something like....

Logitech:
+ Built to stand the test of time
+ Great feeling of quality due to leather wheel as standard
+ Good quality pedals, with carpet grip to prevent sliding
+ FFB is good, but its not the same as that on the Thrustmaster

- Grinding gear feeling
- Small deadzone in the centre, the nature of its design, but I notice it, a lot.
- Loud clonks with strong FFB (bumps etc)
- Logitech Gaming Software thingy, does its job but I'm not a fan.
- Connections under the wheel, great for cockpits etc, but a bit of a pain for desk mounting.

Thrustmaster TX:
+ Great feel, if you get a non-rubber covered wheel
+ Can buy interchangeable wheels etc.
+ Amazing FFB, smooth and feels generally more like a real car
+ Amazing FFB (yes, this gets two points from me, compared with the G920)
+ Better control panel / Drivers (IMO, it seems more professionally integrated into the OS)
+ Connections at the rear, great for desk mounting (less of a faff to setup)

- Rubber wheels feel cheap, IMO.
- Basic pedals feel cheap and slide all over the place
? Not sure on longevity myself, yet.

I would still choose the Thrustmaster TX LE (or similar) over the G' series offerings, all day long.

bradleyland
31-10-2017, 13:51
Please everyone note the following:

OP is on XBOX 1 platform, and therefore cannot make use of (old) unlicensed wheels without something like Cronus Max.

Bealdor
31-10-2017, 14:03

OP is on XBOX 1 platform, and therefore cannot make use of (old) unlicensed wheels without something like Cronus Max.

He specifically states "PC" in the thread thread title (and in the OP). ;)

LockeChris
31-10-2017, 14:04

I play on PC.

:confused: I think he uses the XBox Controller to play on the PC!

Edit: Whoops, too slow.

bradleyland
31-10-2017, 14:06
I've been playing racing sims with my XB1 controller for too long now. I need a good entry level wheel (for budget reasons). Can anyone recommend a low priced wheel? I play on PC.

If you're on a budget, the G920 is what you want. I know it probably seems expensive, but IMO, this is the entry point for a wheel that meets the following attributes:

- Has good FFB
- Is reliable
- Is officially licensed and supported on the XB platform
- Compatible with a wide variety of games
- Includes a 3-pedal set with "progressive" brake
- Has a good mounting system

There are other budget options out there, but IMO, their total package doesn't achieve the level of the G920. Keep in mind that I'm a Thrustmaster owner, so I'm not out here trying to confirm my own choice. For what you need, I really do feel like the G920 is the best option.

The Thrustmaster options at the same price point have a fatal flaw: horrible pedals. Yes, you can inexpensively mod most pedals, but you're signing up for a series of repairs and frustrations. There are going to be a string of posts claiming that their particular pedal mod gives them "no issues at all". That might be true, but the problem with self-modifications is that they aren't made to any manufacturing standards. It all has to do with A) the quality of the modification design, and B) the quality of the implementation.

While we're here, let's talk about why the brake pedal is so important. Once you upgrade to a FFB wheel, steering becomes a non-issue. With 900*of rotation, fine steering input is at your finger tips. This leaves braking as the most difficult input factor. You might have noticed that while playing with the controller, braking is one of the more difficult aspects of sim racing. You can rely on ABS up to a point, but you'll find that it unsettles the car, and forces you to complete your braking before turn-in. With fine control of brake input, you can more easily trail brake to the apex. This lets you get more rotation out of "stable" car setups, which increases consistency.

So what's all this about brake mods? In a real car, the amount of braking force is relative to the amount of pressure you apply to the brake pedal. With a basic set of pedals, the amount of braking force is relative to the position of the brake pedal. A "brake mod" is simply a flexible obstruction of the brake pedal. When you press the pedal, it hits the obstruction, and pressure is required to "squish" the brake mod. This squishing action provides progressive resistance, while the pedals continue to sense the position of the pedal. In combination, these two provide a braking sensation that is easier to regulate.

All of this results in improved braking performance on-circuit. That's not to say you can't be performant on a basic set of pedals, but anyone who drives a real car will find the sensation more natural. Hence, I strongly recommend one of two things:

1) Keep your budget entry-level and get the G920 (which includes a brake mod).

2) Increase your budget, and make sure that any wheel you're evaluating includes (at least) a brake mod.

Wildcard option:

3) Throw caution to the wind and jump straight to a wheel & pedal set with a load cell (which senses pressure direction; not position)
:D

msmith792
31-10-2017, 14:35
Sorry, not at all impressed with the suggestions so far. Logitech is garbage. Plain and simple. They haven't made a good wheel in years.

Thrustmaster T300 for the budget side and Fanatec for the more serious folks. Most folks i know have gone fanatec elite, but i'm married to the thrustmaster stuff due to the second wheel i have. Both are good choices, have good power and are a big step up from anything logitech has ever made. Take a look at the reviews on "insidesimracing" on youtube or other channels. I highly doubt you ever see anyone recommending a logitech.

If both of those wheels are out of your budget...save up. Don't buy the low end. You'll just end up buying another one a year later.

Zaskarspants
31-10-2017, 15:38
I am very happy with my G920. It is a few years old but functions well. It was slightly rough when new but this quickly fades with use. The pedals feel very sturdy and I like the stiff more realistic brake feel.

I don't have a dead spot and the wheel only clunks when overdriven and is clipping.

crowhop
31-10-2017, 16:38
I have a Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT) with a Wheel Stand Pro. I'd take $100 for the whole thing. That price includes shipping, assuming you're in the US. Shipping will be at least $50 if only due to the size and weight of it all. But it's a great setup if you're looking for your first wheel to even find out if you enjoy it enough to invest more.

AOD_ZedZedski
31-10-2017, 17:08
Sorry, not at all impressed with the suggestions so far. Logitech is garbage. Plain and simple.

Plain and simple that's why they probably shipped me two units instead of one. ;) Obviously I sold the second one and got my G29 for FREE :p Great wheel for the price. Has an ok FFB and nice feel since the wheel has leather cover.

https://i.imgur.com/XTTS4cO.jpg

Krus Control
31-10-2017, 17:22
Sorry, not at all impressed with the suggestions so far. Logitech is garbage. Plain and simple. They haven't made a good wheel in years.

Thrustmaster T300 for the budget side and Fanatec for the more serious folks. Most folks i know have gone fanatec elite, but i'm married to the thrustmaster stuff due to the second wheel i have. Both are good choices, have good power and are a big step up from anything logitech has ever made. Take a look at the reviews on "insidesimracing" on youtube or other channels. I highly doubt you ever see anyone recommending a logitech.

If both of those wheels are out of your budget...save up. Don't buy the low end. You'll just end up buying another one a year later.

I have to say that I more so consider this range of Thrustmaster wheels garbage than any Logitech wheel.

The T300/TX/TMX/T150 have better FFB for sure but build quality is a big issue with these wheels. When I got a TX in 2015 I had to have it replaced 3 times by Thrustmaster in just a few months. Two of them arrived broken and one lasted 2 weeks. And then the 4th wheel that I still have deteriorated very quickly to the point where FFB was notably worse and all the rubber on the 458 rim rubbed off and it developed a sizable dead zone. Maybe the build quality is better now, but these wheels are not built for long term use.

The Logitech line is inferior in the FFB it delivers, but they're rock solid wheels that won't deteriorate and probably won't ever go wrong.

I went with the CSL Elite to replace my TX and I'll never go back from Fanatec. This wheel is such a massive leap above that range of Thrustmaster and also it seems at least as solid as the Logitechs. Pretty sure I won't need a new wheel for at least 5 years, probably 10.

Balles
31-10-2017, 17:44
Edit : irrelevant, please delete my post.

bradleyland
31-10-2017, 18:33
I have to say that I more so consider this range of Thrustmaster wheels garbage than any Logitech wheel.

The T300/TX/TMX/T150 have better FFB for sure but build quality is a big issue with these wheels. When I got a TX in 2015 I had to have it replaced 3 times by Thrustmaster in just a few months. Two of them arrived broken and one lasted 2 weeks. And then the 4th wheel that I still have deteriorated very quickly to the point where FFB was notably worse and all the rubber on the 458 rim rubbed off and it developed a sizable dead zone. Maybe the build quality is better now, but these wheels are not built for long term use.

The Logitech line is inferior in the FFB it delivers, but they're rock solid wheels that won't deteriorate and probably won't ever go wrong.

I went with the CSL Elite to replace my TX and I'll never go back from Fanatec. This wheel is such a massive leap above that range of Thrustmaster and also it seems at least as solid as the Logitechs. Pretty sure I won't need a new wheel for at least 5 years, probably 10.

This is really the fundamental problem for Thrustmaster right now. Fanatec's new CSL offerings tip the value equation away from Thrustmaster options. Before I ordered a set of CSPv3 pedals, I thought Fanatec gear was overpriced. As soon as I unboxed them, my opinion flipped 180. The materials and build quality of Fanatec products are an absolute bargain.

I paid $480 for my T300 Ferrari Alcantara Edition. If I were a serious first time buyer today, I'd get the CSL Elite bundle for $499, no question about it. Even with the absence of a clutch pedal or load cell, the overall improvement in quality is worth it. You can add the load cell brake later for $130, which is less expensive than many LC kits for Thrustmaster pedals.

TorTorden
31-10-2017, 20:17
I found my g29 (the ps4 compatible g920) for about 200. Which was about 90 less than a t300.
which allowed me to also get the much needed wheelstand as well and almost 300 less than a t500.

Sure cheaper wheels work too but I find the g29 to be a sweetspot on investment and functionality with ok FFB. If I want something better it would be by the time I am serious about simming and go straight for a Fanatec setup which would most likely run up to a full 1000.

I find myself lately realising that if I get a cheaper option I end up upgrading sooner rather later.
So finding something fairly upper medium level at a discount is the most effective for cost and enjoyment.
If that makes sense.

If anyone wonders I would consider maybe the t500 lower high tier and the fanatec 2.5 wheelset upper high end.
Direct drive sets are the coocoo crazy-money pants league, like the Leo Bodnar kits.

Ravager619
31-10-2017, 22:02
If you're on a budget, there's nothing wrong with the T150. And if you're not happy with the pedals or want a shifter, both the T3PA pedals and TH8A shifter are compatible with it if you want to upgrade/add those items and keep the wheel. This is something I'm seriously considering in the coming months.

TorTorden
01-11-2017, 04:31
If you're on a budget, there's nothing wrong with the T150. And if you're not happy with the pedals or want a shifter, both the T3PA pedals and TH8A shifter are compatible with it if you want to upgrade/add those items and keep the wheel. This is something I'm seriously considering in the coming months.

This is where being on pc really comes up as a plus.
Myself and op can mix it up.
Even though I have a logitech wheel I can get the th8a shifter and just plug it in via USB.
Same with improved pedals.

Redadeg
01-11-2017, 07:09
Had a G27 and switched to T300 Ferrari 1 now.

Another world opened for me.

Hotdognz
01-11-2017, 10:16
Switch out from a G25 (10 years old and still going) to all Fanatec gear, its a different level all together, makes the G25 look like and feel like a toy, expensive yes but so much worth it.

bradleyland
01-11-2017, 13:10

Just a heads up, the T150 is ~$215 with the horrible (small base, no progressive brake, all plastic) two-pedal set. The base T3PA pedals (with brake mod) cost ~$100. That means you'll spend $315 total if you buy a T150 today and purchase the T3PA pedals at a later date.

The T150 Pro is a much better option at ~$250, because it comes with the T3PA pedals (with progressive brake mod), and only costs $35 more.

wadafaka
02-11-2017, 11:34
- Rubber wheels feel cheap, IMO.Still feels WAAAAY better than a real life cheap clio steeringwheel - that horrible plastic lol. So I'm not complaining :)

FxUK
02-11-2017, 13:14
Still feels WAAAAY better than a real life cheap clio steeringwheel - that horrible plastic lol. So I'm not complaining :)

Fair point ;) Besides, you can always go for the extra immersion and wear a race suite & gloves, then who cares what material the wheel is made of ;)

MerlinC
02-11-2017, 13:26
I'm happy with my Fanatec Club Sport V2 and a Formula1 rim. Not the least expensive wheel but works reliable in endurance races where I drove stints of 2-3 hrs already.

P.S.: Had just one load-cell which had to be exchanged during the last 2 years. And support from Fanatec (also others had different experiences) was fast and reliable

honespc
02-11-2017, 13:27
Man get yourself a t300, now. Price tag dropped enough to be, simply put best wheel available quality-price wise.

Then you have the other really overpriced stuff such as the t-gt that..., well, overpriced stuff as said.

T300. Don't look elsewhere.

JasonB
02-11-2017, 14:30
With PCars2, I decided to finally go all out on everything (see sig) after slumming it with Forza and a controller for a decade.

Above all else, ANY wheel you get is going to feel like cheating after using a controller. Throw in a Buttkicker and a cockpit, and you'll feel like you've gone to heaven. I went with the Fanatec CSL Elite package, which got me the base, P1 wheel, and 3 pedals (including a load cell on the brake, which is AWESOME). I did a month of research first, and found that Fanatec just offered the best all around value (features + reliability given the cost). That said, my first P1 wheel was DOA. It was easy to procure a replacement, but my second one is bugging out (random detected presses on the setup button when I'm not pressing it). I ruled out Thrustmaster pretty quickly... seems like more people with stories of bases that die too soon, and then get awful support from TM. People just generally seemed happier with their Fanatec and Logitech purchases.

Even with the buggy wheel, I'm having a stupid amount of fun, as are my kids. I need to reach back out to Fanatec to figure out what to do about this wheel, but I don't regret the purchase one bit. Pedals feel great, wheel feels great, etc., though I don't have anything to compare it all to.

My two cents.

Fight-Test
02-11-2017, 17:41
With PCars2, I decided to finally go all out on everything (see sig) after slumming it with Forza and a controller for a decade.

Above all else, ANY wheel you get is going to feel like cheating after using a controller. Throw in a Buttkicker and a cockpit, and you'll feel like you've gone to heaven. I went with the Fanatec CSL Elite package, which got me the base, P1 wheel, and 3 pedals (including a load cell on the brake, which is AWESOME). I did a month of research first, and found that Fanatec just offered the best all around value (features + reliability given the cost). That said, my first P1 wheel was DOA. It was easy to procure a replacement, but my second one is bugging out (random detected presses on the setup button when I'm not pressing it). I ruled out Thrustmaster pretty quickly... seems like more people with stories of bases that die too soon, and then get awful support from TM. People just generally seemed happier with their Fanatec and Logitech purchases.

Even with the buggy wheel, I'm having a stupid amount of fun, as are my kids. I need to reach back out to Fanatec to figure out what to do about this wheel, but I don't regret the purchase one bit. Pedals feel great, wheel feels great, etc., though I don't have anything to compare it all to.

My two cents.

Couldn't agree more about the load cell. For endurance racing and consistency regular pedals just don't compare. The repeatability to the exact pressure you need is so percise adn I use a very short throw on my pedal, probably about 3/4 of a inch now and stiff as a board which makes it even easier.

I think most of the thrustmaster issues were taken care of a few years ago with firmware. I had 200 hrs on my first t300 and during update it got messed up and then I could feel the gears inside when I turned it and it would get uncentered. Was a mess no matter what I did and this was the time alot of guys were having issues. I got it replaced and have over 900 hrs on 2nd with no issues and it has been used for many 6 hr or more sessions. I do think that fanatec has got all their issues sorted as of the last few years and is the better built product by far. I'm making move to fanatec DD wheel as soon as it becomes available to go with my V3 pedals.

RedSquareImages
02-11-2017, 20:14
Plain and simple that's why they probably shipped me two units instead of one. ;) Obviously I sold the second one and got my G29 for FREE :p Great wheel for the price. Has an ok FFB and nice feel since the wheel has leather cover.

https://i.imgur.com/XTTS4cO.jpg

Didnt think of being honest and telling them no?

JasonB
02-11-2017, 20:24

Sorry, just had to chime in on this... anyone who's watched any of ISR's videos couldn't possibly have missed the WALL OF THRUSTMASTER encroaching on John. Then there's the fact that Darin had a fallout with Fanatec at one point (is there anyone that guy hasn't fallen out with???). [Missing/horribly understated] from ISR's numerous (countless?) Thrustmaster reviews is adequate mention of known TM quality issues.

Next up: Darin Gangi reviews PCars2 with his iRacing cape on.

Yeah yeah, I know he left... it's still funny.

peterCars
04-11-2017, 01:57
If you are on a budget and still have both your kidneys and are in good health generally, sell one of your kidneys and get the Fanatecs.

nO_d3N1AL
04-11-2017, 11:46
I managed to pick up the Logitech G920 on Amazon Prime Day for 130, and I have no complaints so far.