PDA

View Full Version : BEST SETUP TO FEEL SLIP,FRONT AND REAR

Madhun67
02-11-2017, 11:40
Hi all,
ive been searching for the best ,most informative FFB setting to feel front and rear slip.Honestly i messed a lot with sliders in FFb ,but every time i change something ,i lose another aspect of the "feel" i had right before that.Can you all who have T300 post some of yours ,to see how i can best dial in "feel" of tires losing traction ,under/over steer situations.
Any setting info would be greatly appreciated,especially if you have good ones for Rally X and older RWD cars:)
thank you much,
Dave

Zaskarspants
02-11-2017, 12:02
I have played with the settings and gravitated back to default informative.
FFB is important for transference but so are other things.

Play with world movement settings too, I find very high WM, meaning v low dash movement makes the car feel numb, one reason why I no longer pay dirt rally / dirt4 much, those titles have very low and crude dash movement.

A low wm setting means that the car moves around you as it slides giving you much needed feedback to replace those lost g forces. My wm is ten.

The dash movement is consistent with the steering shake and feels very real. Hit a kerb, feel it in the wheel and see the car wiggle around you.

Sound is also important. I have spent much time tuning the sound sliders. I have set collisions much louder, ambient sounds higher and my engine quite low. Other people will no doubt find that different settings help them 'fall into' the game.

Correct FOV is a must but dont be tempted to run your screen too close to get max fov. Mine is 60 degrees with a 69 cm viewing distance on a forty inch screen.

Avoid over wide FOVs in an attempt to increase the feeling of speed as this will make judging speed and distance harder.

It is important to experiment with lap times a guide. My timings deffo improved with the above adjustments that helped me feel the car.

Madhun67
02-11-2017, 12:06
thanks for the reply............................half the stuff i never thought of ,so, much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ill play around more with all those you mentioned.
Especially in Rally X these all should help a lot.

Zaskarspants
02-11-2017, 12:27
No worries, it is weird but I felt my ffb was better when all those other things clicked.

For me wheel and hands switched on got me a second or so. I think the rubber hand effect works, my brain thinks they are my hands so I must be in that Caterham for real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_transfer_illusion#Rubber_hand_illusion

Mahjik
02-11-2017, 14:33
Depending on which "flavor" you are using, the Tone will have the biggest impact for trying to get a feel for what the rear of the car is doing. Tone will add in what used to be on PC1 as SoP. However, don't add in too much as that sensation will drown out others. Try moving Tone to 54-58.

Madhun67
02-11-2017, 15:29
thank you Mahjik! im lost with all the FFB settings,so this helps for trying it different ways.

bradleyland
02-11-2017, 15:57
Some basic tips:

1) Learn to use the FFB widget in the telemetry screen, so you can see whether your FFB Is clipping.

2) Map buttons to increase/decrease Volume and Tone. Go to Options, Controls, Edit Assignments, Assistance. You'll see items for Increase FFB Vol, Decrease FFB Vol, etc.

3) Experiment with the Tone setting, which will change the FFB bias between rotational force from the front wheels (Mz), and lateral force (Fy), which communicates slip at the rear.

I wrote a pretty basic FFB guide, which you can find here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55631-T300RS-FFB-should-it-be-like-this&p=1399359&viewfull=1#post1399359

Madhun67
02-11-2017, 16:10
big thanks for that Bradleyland !

finagle69
03-11-2017, 15:14
I have played with the settings and gravitated back to default informative.
FFB is important for transference but so are other things.

Play with world movement settings too, I find very high WM, meaning v low dash movement makes the car feel numb, one reason why I no longer pay dirt rally / dirt4 much, those titles have very low and crude dash movement.

A low wm setting means that the car moves around you as it slides giving you much needed feedback to replace those lost g forces. My wm is ten.

The dash movement is consistent with the steering shake and feels very real. Hit a kerb, feel it in the wheel and see the car wiggle around you.

Sound is also important. I have spent much time tuning the sound sliders. I have set collisions much louder, ambient sounds higher and my engine quite low. Other people will no doubt find that different settings help them 'fall into' the game.

Correct FOV is a must but dont be tempted to run your screen too close to get max fov. Mine is 60 degrees with a 69 cm viewing distance on a forty inch screen.

Avoid over wide FOVs in an attempt to increase the feeling of speed as this will make judging speed and distance harder.

It is important to experiment with lap times a guide. My timings deffo improved with the above adjustments that helped me feel the car.

Just FYI, you can set camera locked to horizon in Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 to accomplish exactly this.

Madhun67
03-11-2017, 15:25
i love all my Dirt, but FFB is another topic in that game....................hoping for a rallt title from SMS eventually

peterCars
04-11-2017, 01:42
I havent done this yet, but if you do set the tone in game using a controller configuration that you have set, does this stay in place in future as if you had gone into the outofgame settings?
I ask because
A. I havent tested it yey
B. I find it annoying that there is no indication on the ingame hud as to whether a change has been effected and what the new settings is.
(unless I am missing something - I suppose one can delve into the FFB telemetry graphs and do some guesswork)

bradleyland
04-11-2017, 03:06
I havent done this yet, but if you do set the tone in game using a controller configuration that you have set, does this stay in place in future as if you had gone into the outofgame settings?
I ask because
A. I havent tested it yey

Yes, but there are some idiosyncrasies. If you change your volume or tone with a controller button, it will save if you exit the session.

However, if you change your volume or tone with a controller button, and then go into options to adjust it, the settings will reflect what was loaded at the beginning of the session. It acts like a kind of reset. I'm undecided on whether this is good and bad. Sometimes I'm glad I can just go in there and get my settings back after I've messed it up.

B. I find it annoying that there is no indication on the ingame hud as to whether a change has been effected and what the new settings is.
(unless I am missing something - I suppose one can delve into the FFB telemetry graphs and do some guesswork)

You can see your current FFB settings on the telemetry hud in the lower left. The "Current FFB settings" are in the format:

GAIN/VOLUME/TONE/FX

https://i.imgur.com/cOSlR2R.png

pferreirag60
04-11-2017, 12:51
Well, Ive to say that for years, I always used the hands and steering wheel visuals as an immersion factor, but since maybe 6 months ago started to use no wheel and hands, so my wheel and hands with the right fov, could be the virtual ones, if you understand my meaning, and I think had the same effect as you had but with them.