PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Self Promotion Of A.I. Behavior Program

SpeedyMcQuick
02-11-2017, 19:27
I hope I'm not abusing by opening a whole thread to bring attention to my idea, I didn't think many people saw this when I first posted it. But after this I'll stay quiet, I promise. I just think this method or something like it would do so much for the experience. It's mostly inspired by how Star Wars KOTOR 2 works (and many others I'm sure).

It's described in General Discussion>Some Desirable Features For Incoming Patches>Post #368.

Just imagine if all the numbers involved were varied and fine tuned, how much more life-like it would be and how much more action their would be, even among the A.I. themselves. Like I mentioned in the previous post, one thing I mentioned was missing among the A.I. was imperfection. Along with that thought, what do we see in real races that's not in sims like PC? An attrition rate among the other racers. I think this could be an effective way of introducing that.

The one thing I'm not sure of is how much processing power it would take. These should be simple calculations, and in KOTOR 2 it would make a ton of such calculations for even one attack sometimes, amongst a lot of attacks and defenses happening among a lot of individuals in less than a second. But considering my idea you have to think about all the cars spread around the whole track, interacting with the track and other A.I. and you.

Someone mentioned in a reply that in another game you could give A.I. a range of skill, but wouldn't this just vary how fast they go about there otherwise machine-like driving? But my idea would introduce mistake's and big mistakes that could change the course of the race for the other A.I. and for you.

Anyway, happy racing.

taz1004
02-11-2017, 19:36
I advanced to Formula A and I'm stop playing. It's unplayable and painful. Up until Formula Renault, AI was too easy in the rain because they're too slow. In Formula A, they're racing like it's dry and I'm sliding all over the place at half throttle in the middle of straights with wet tire. Going through the 3 series, I've yet to have single competitive race. It was they're all too slow or too fast. If they don't fix this in the next patch (I have my doubts), then they need to release some kind of AI adjustment tool so the community can work on it. Working on setups is pointless too as tire physics will change I'm sure. Everyone's raving about the graphics and VR and what not... but if I can't play it, it's broken.

SpeedyMcQuick
02-11-2017, 19:40
I advanced to Formula A and I'm stop playing. It's unplayable and painful. Up until Formula Renault, AI was too easy in the rain because they're too slow. In Formula A, they're racing like it's dry and I'm sliding all over the place at half throttle in the middle of straights with wet tire. Going through the 3 series, I've yet to have single competitive race. It was they're all too slow or too fast. If they don't fix this in the next patch (I have my doubts), then they need to release some kind of AI adjustment tool so the community can work on it. Working on setups is pointless too as tire physics will change I'm sure. Everyone's raving about the graphics and VR and what not... but if I can't play it, it's broken.

I'm not sure you get why I started this thread. I was wondering what others thought of my concept for A.I. as described in General Discussion>Some Desirable Features For Incoming Patches>Post #368.

Seelenkrank
02-11-2017, 19:49
Someone mentioned in a reply that in another game you could give A.I. a range of skill, but wouldn't this just vary how fast they go about there otherwise machine-like driving? But my idea would introduce mistake's and big mistakes that could change the course of the race for the other A.I. and for you.

yes and no, because they fight beween each other AI for the position.
here they drive nice behind each other like ducklings follow their mother...

SpeedyMcQuick
02-11-2017, 20:09
yes and no, because they fight beween each other AI for the position.
here they drive nice behind each other like ducklings follow their mother...

True. And having less skilled A.I. lined up to pass (which is what I think you mean, but not sure) is nice. But imagine this scenario: Your in the second half of a long race and your fairly matched with the top 25% of the field. You're in 5th place trying to work your way up and third and fourth are in a battle in front of you. Fourth place has been on the tail of third for quite a few laps, and third places nerves finally get to him. He land's a big critical mistake and brakes way to late going into a sharp turn. Fourth place has a higher aggression in his stats and when he goes to pass he's too aggressive and sloppy. They get tangled up and send each other into the wall, and since you have kept your cool and some distance, you pass them both and are rewarded for your good pace and smart driving. Wouldn't that be more fun?

stephane4985
02-11-2017, 20:33
Wouldn't be hard to implement. You take the setting for skills and aggression, then add a random negative or positive value to each AI, call it done! Would make race more lifelike. It could be more elaboraet than this. for sure, but just that would be a good start.

OzzyNeil
02-11-2017, 20:36
they did it 19 years ago in Grand Prix Legends,

Here's a quote from Alison Hine.

Occasionally an AI driver will make a mistake and go off. In one replay from a Mosport race, I saw Hill make a mistake coming out of the turn 5 complex, lock up his brakes and lay streaks of rubber as he slid off into the barrier and out of the race! The first I knew of this in the race was when I came out of 5 and saw a set of skid marks going straight off, and the Lotus sitting in the grass against the barrier. It was so cool!

Here's the .ini file for driver 1.

probably the experience setting for mistakes I'm guessing.

[ driver_1 ]
team_number = 5 ; team_number
team_order = 1 ; team_order
car_number = 5 ; car_number
first_name = Jim ; first_name
last_name = Clark ; last_name
home_town = Kilmany, Scotland ; home_town
nationality = 12 ; nationality
helmet_color = 1 ; helmet_color
bump_order = 19 ; bump_order
aggression = 1.030000 ; aggression
alertness = 1.030000 ; alertness
experience = 1.010000 ; experience
hype = 1.002000 ; hype
qualifying = 1.020000 ; qualifying
quickness = 1.050000 ; quickness
smoothness = 1.000000 ; smoothness
global_hype_scaling = 0.05 ; global_hype_scaling
chance_brake_failure = 35.000000 ; chance_brake_failure
chance_brake_problem = 35.000000 ; chance_brake_problem
chance_coolant_leak = 35.000000 ; chance_coolant_leak
chance_engine_failure = 50.000000 ; chance_engine_failure
chance_engine_problem = 50.000000 ; chance_engine_problem
chance_fuel_leak = 35.000000 ; chance_fuel_leak
chance_fuel_system_failure = 35.000000 ; chance_fuel_system_failure
chance_fuel_system_problem = 35.000000 ; chance_fuel_system_problem
chance_oil_leak = 35.000000 ; chance_oil_leak
chance_suspension_failure = 50.000000 ; chance_suspension_failure
chance_suspension_problem = 50.000000 ; chance_suspension_problem
chance_tire_failure = 40.000000 ; chance_tire_failure
chance_tire_problem = 35.000000 ; chance_tire_problem
photo = clar ; photo_file

SpeedyMcQuick
02-11-2017, 21:23
hype = 1.002000 ; hype
qualifying = 1.020000 ; qualifying
quickness = 1.050000 ; quickness
smoothness = 1.000000 ; smoothness
global_hype_scaling = 0.05 ; global_hype_scaling

That totally reminds me of the first Grid. Your teammate had a pie chart defining his skill and characteristics. I had completely forgotten about it!

wadafaka
03-11-2017, 09:36
You should really have posted a link, don't make everyone search it - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51345-Some-desirable-features-for-incoming-patches&p=1412358&viewfull=1#post1412358

edit: also reminds me of Flatout 2... I know that's not a sim, but it had AI with personality, not just a crowd of copy/paste robots.

BrunoB
03-11-2017, 12:22
In the above ini values its only these 3 that matters:

But taken from another sim where the AI did behave rather acceptable check this menu pic for the AI opposition from Good old NR2003:

SpeedyMcQuick
03-11-2017, 19:03
You should really have posted a link, don't make everyone search it

Sorry, I'm a forum newbie.

John Hargreaves
03-11-2017, 19:18
they did it 19 years ago in Grand Prix Legends,

Here's a quote from Alison Hine.

Occasionally an AI driver will make a mistake and go off. In one replay from a Mosport race, I saw Hill make a mistake coming out of the turn 5 complex, lock up his brakes and lay streaks of rubber as he slid off into the barrier and out of the race! The first I knew of this in the race was when I came out of 5 and saw a set of skid marks going straight off, and the Lotus sitting in the grass against the barrier. It was so cool!

Wow, Eagle woman, a voice from the past. Her pages on how to tame GPL are what helped to get me hooked on this whole silly carry on.