PDA

View Full Version : Soft Slicks Vs Hard Slicks

Dandanman94
03-11-2017, 09:18
I just wanted to open up a discussion around which tyre compound is better. I have read that the hards are better on hotter tracks and the softs better on slower tracks.

I seem to find that the softs are better on every track I've been on so far. They just seem to have far more grip from the get go. Even after a couple of laps warming the hards up I still can't get close to my times with the softs.

For example I was in career mode yesterday in the GT4 championship with the KTM at Long Beach. I started on hards thinking that Long Beach is a hotter track and put in a time, switched to the softs to compare and went 3 seconds faster without really trying.

Now is this because I'm not getting the hards up to the optimum temperature? or are the softs the quicker tyre?

I have to admit I am a bit of a sim racing rookie but since the realise of PC2 I am loving the realism and challenge of taming each car.

Ashleyqprw12
03-11-2017, 09:50
The opposite for me in my experience, I can't stop them over heating yet same driving style with the hards is ok? I try to use softs for qualifying but I only get 1 hot lap, if I need a 2nd which I usually do as I tend to build from my delta I lose loads of performance towards the end of the lap so find myself sticking with the hard compound which allows me as many laps as I wish.

In theory you are correct softs should have more grip finding the best tyre to use is a balance of how long you need as the harder compound obviously lasts longer therefore saves time toward the end of a stint as they perform at their peak longer than the soft.

AbeWoz
03-11-2017, 09:52
you have to pay attention to track temps, track layout, etc.
Even if the track if 'hot' the layout (long straights and low-load corners) can enable you to run softs since the tires will cool down significantly on the straights. I've found that the softs may have more grip in the first 3-4 laps, but after that they are pretty even with the hards, but you need to make sure you are running the correct pressures.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/187609255040253952/358319398047449090/unknown.png

CoproManiac
03-11-2017, 09:59
My understanding is that hards are for longer stints, as they wear off slower than softs. Also, hards are for when the track is hot, making softer tires heat up and wear off too fast, resulting in the loss of grip.
If the track is hot, but not too hot, you can try increasing tire pressure of softs, which will decrease the heating up of the tire. Higher tire pressure = less contact with surface = less heat in tire.

I don't know what the limit is in PCars2, when it comes to which temperatures are too hot for softs to deal with, but I'd say anything above ??40?? degrees (haven't really tested it out) you should take hards. Unless you want to do only 1 hotlap in qualifying each stint.
But it's also personal opinion I believe, you want to take hard tires which you know you're slower on, or take softs and try to manage them overheating?

Paulpg87
03-11-2017, 12:13
I have done all the cayman and the gt4 Championship with soft tyres. Always green, just a bit of understeer. Hard are just useless with the weather conditions present in the career mode. In Quick race you can apply super hot conditions and hard works better.

peterCars
04-11-2017, 01:46
In career mode with FormulaA, I have tyre wear off until they fix the pit bug that doesnt change tyres, so I go with softs for now , hards are slippery for me... then again, things keep changing with different setups and learning. we've even had people here on other threads suggesting wets.

Pisan777
06-01-2018, 02:18
For some reason sifts are better for me everywhere. But for laguna sect and Watkins glen hands all the way! I find that the sorts give me too much understeer

Dynomight Motorsports
06-01-2018, 02:26
In GT3 I've found Hards are usually the way to go for the summer tracks. A lot depends on Track Temp. The Softs, seem to lose all lateral grip when over 185F and won't turn a bit. But if you are on a track in the fall, spring or early winter the Softs are great for qualifying and racing. Just do a quick comparison at Le Mans in a GT3 car between both compounds. I've actually found running Hards on the front and Softs on the rear is the way to maintain consistency at Le Mans especially in the transitions from Day to Night to Day.