PDA

View Full Version : Camber

Atak Kat
05-11-2017, 06:35
I have always had the impression that one of the goals in setting up the camber was to try to get the tire temps across the whole tire as close as possible. Inside, middle, outside. Maybe I'm wrong or confused??

But find that even with the minimum camber on a lot of cars, the inside tire temps are still running quite a lot higher. 5-10 degrees.

Am I confused? Am I doing something still wrong?

Racefancy
05-11-2017, 10:48
Generally you don't want to see the same temperatures across the tyre. The reason for that is you run negative camber to increase contact patch size while cornering as the weight transfers across the car and increases the vertical load on the outside tyres. Because this only occurs in corners, the inside of the tyre will be in contact with the track the most through a lap followed by the middle and then the outside (if tyres pressures are correct). This is why you will see the temperature difference across the tyre.

As for how much, ruke of thumb is somewhere around the 20 degree Celsius figure inside to outside but it really is only a rule of thumb and depends on circuit characteristics, but you'll be within the correct ballpark if you're close to that.

crowhop
07-11-2017, 07:42
Temperature difference should be around 5 C outer to inner. But you can run 3.5, 2.5, or 1.5 and get more or less the same temp range. As best I can tell, tuning Camber is a dark science of subjectivity. Unless you monitor exact G-Load numbers, you can't know for sure what is actually working. Not ideal.

hkraft300
07-11-2017, 09:04
Temperature difference across the tire face should be dependant on car and track. Some manufacturers will recommend a value, but deviation from that is up to the cars engineer.

Rodgerzzz
07-11-2017, 11:22
Me and a couple of buddies discussed this in a lobby last night. The best way from what we can tell is to monitor tyre temps at different points of the track (through a series of high speed bends, end of the straight, out of hairpins, etc) and keep an eye on how the temps are averaging out over the course of one lap. Obviously through high speed bends the inside of the tyres are going to take more of a battering than down the straight so you may find a big temperature gap in some sections of the track and practically none in others. As long as it's averaging 5C from inside to outside over the course of a lap the tyres should be working close to optimal.

eracerhead
08-11-2017, 17:41
The best way from what we can tell is to monitor tyre temps at different points of the track (through a series of high speed bends, end of the straight, out of hairpins, etc) and keep an eye on how the temps are averaging out over the course of one lap... As long as it's averaging 5C from inside to outside over the course of a lap the tyres should be working close to optimal.

This is the way I used to monitor camber, way back in the F1-2000 days. Back then, it was a simple matter to see where your temps were at any given corner rather than relying on averages, as that data was available to third-party telemetry. Sure wish we could either a) have Inside-Center-Outside temps exported via UDP/Shared Memory so we could track this in detail or b) have the ability to view our HUD telemetry while paused.