PDA

View Full Version : Crew Chief says "locking front right" - help me understand

rpstar
06-11-2017, 12:50
Ok, Crew Chief app is telling me on the Prototype C car I just started to practice with that I'm locking the front right or front left on various turns. It's not brakes he's talking about as that message is different so I assume it's something with the differential locking. What is generally the first place to look to adjust when you get such a message? Also, what is the telemetry data coming in that allows Crew Chief to say this? Does it actually get a lock indicator from the game or something about wheel spin that indicates it?

Thanks for any help.

Olijke Poffer
06-11-2017, 13:04
Same over here..

Gix916
06-11-2017, 13:08
it will be brake locking, move brake bias rearwards. locking the diff does not lock the wheels it just means they won't turn at different rates.

mr_belowski
06-11-2017, 13:12
yes, it's brake locking. The app monitors your speed, and the rotational velocity of each wheel. It makes a rough guess as to how big a wheel is so it can calculate the correct rotational velocity of each wheel for your current speed. If a wheel is going much slower than expected for a short period of time, it reports that it's locked

PeteMason
06-11-2017, 14:07
I found a simple cure was to shift weight bias and brake bias to the rear while reducing brake pressure maybe down to 80-85% you still stop in time and its much smoother and kinder to your tyres.
Oh I have all the Aids turned off and the ECU TC set to 100% with ABS default. Traction control does slow you down slightly by applying a small amount of brake pressure to the wheel that is spinning faster.

Hope that helps a little and good luck.

rpstar
06-11-2017, 14:15
Yeah, that all helps. I guess I need to adjust brake bias some more (and I'll try weight). Already moved break bias back a good bit from what SMS loose setup standard was but guess it needs more. I'll look at the pressure too as don't know what it's set to right off but I do think it's a bit too high based on the way it was braking last night. I did turn on "low" TC for this car as my fat foot was spinning it more than I'd like. Figure once i get used to the car and fix other things I'll try and remove it then.