PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy, Xbox One X when only having a 1080P tv?

zzjorzz
06-11-2017, 14:00
Here is the big question plaguing me the last few days. Do I buy a Xbox One X while I am still on a 1080p tv, without all the fancy HDR options etc.

So, what do you (devs? Ian Bell?) think? Does the X makes a huge difference playing PC2 on a 1080p tv? Is it worth the almost 500 euro investment?

What are the biggest differences between the 1st gen Xbox and the X if you disregard the 4k and HDR?

All advice and opinions welcome!!!

ctzn
06-11-2017, 14:02
One X has a huge performance boost. Even if you don't have a 4K TV, you'll still notice the extra performance benefits.

OddTimer
06-11-2017, 14:04
yes, games will see improvements on the X, even if they are not patched by the developer. Also, the console itself will supersample your games and frame rates can improve too. Mine is arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Boskapongen
06-11-2017, 14:05
i would say def yes. Higher textures, shadows etc. Faster load times, higher and more solid FPS.

banner77amc
06-11-2017, 14:17
If you have the $$$ then I say buy it for the speed alone. Eventually (2 yrs) there will be a cheap 4k tv that you can get to go with it.

zzjorzz
06-11-2017, 15:16
Lol, I posted the same question on the Forza 7 forum, totally different responce then here, and a fight broke out between replyers. I cant wait for patch 3.0, from that moment on all my energy will go into PC2!

TheHeathen
06-11-2017, 15:16
Black Friday sales are coming up. You can more than likely get a ~55 inch 4K for around $300-$400. You won't regret it.

Boskapongen
06-11-2017, 16:06
Black Friday sales are coming up. You can more than likely get a ~55 inch 4K for around $300-$400. You won't regret it.

Just be aware regarding the HDR. There are TVīs with 8bits HDR and the "real one": 10bits (HDR10). Go for real if possbile. Its not easy to find out when reading the TV specs, the manufacturer hides it well.

Some more info here regaring HDR:
https://dgit.com/4k-hdr-guide-45905/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-best-2017-4k-tvs-for-hdr-gaming_7_9

Outlier
06-11-2017, 16:12
this video shows how game performance is improved on onex over older consoles - https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2017-11-03-xbox-one-x-the-4k-console-youve-been-waiting-for

BrandonWright77
06-11-2017, 16:37
Why spend $500 on a console when just a little bit more will buy you a gaming PC?

Konan
06-11-2017, 17:03
Why spend $500 on a console when just a little bit more will buy you a gaming PC?

Because it's not always about the money...consoles are plug & play and need no maintenance...(or skill to make them work for that matter)
They're just out off the box fun...
There are other reasons but this is not the thread to discuss them in...

zzjorzz
06-11-2017, 17:21

Please tell me where to get a gaming pc with a 1070 or 1080 card, and good specs on gpu,gpc,ram etc for that kind of money...

John Hargreaves
06-11-2017, 18:38
X1X looks like a good piece of kit. Bit expensive maybe, but it's still cheaper than a GTX 1080, so in terms of value for money it holds up well. It seemed to impress the digital foundry guy quite a bit.

BrandonWright77
06-11-2017, 19:11
Because it's not always about the money...consoles are plug & play and need no maintenance...(or skill to make them work for that matter)
They're just out off the box fun...
There are other reasons but this is not the thread to discuss them in...

Modern PCs are fairly plug & play and don't really need much maintenance. I turn mine on, play my games, that's pretty much it. If I can manage it, anyone can. :) Plus, you don't have to put up with MS denying game patches. ;)

Please tell me where to get a gaming pc with a 1070 or 1080 card, and good specs on gpu,gpc,ram etc for that kind of money...

Here ya go. One step lower than a 1070 but should be able to play all the current racing sims on fairly good settings for just a few hundred more than a XBoneX.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-vr-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/5712949.p?skuId=5712949

Rockefelluh
06-11-2017, 19:56

*Makes noise of tv crowd saying "Boooooooo"

zzjorzz
06-11-2017, 19:58
Modern PCs are fairly plug & play and don't really need much maintenance. I turn mine on, play my games, that's pretty much it. If I can manage it, anyone can. :) Plus, you don't have to put up with MS denying game patches. ;)

Here ya go. One step lower than a 1070 but should be able to play all the current racing sims on fairly good settings for just a few hundred more than a XBoneX.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-vr-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/5712949.p?skuId=5712949

Well, I also have a pc, its a lot of maintenance and extra costs. Between internetsecurity, dozens of different driverupdates that may or may not work together (80 in total on my pc), windows fall updates, java, C++ updates etc.....\
Also managing all the background processes so they do not slow down your rig. So no, a modern PC is not low maintenance.

And that PC at bestbuy? If you put in a 1070 instead of a 1060 its a whole xbox one x more expensive!!!

Dont get me wrong, I love PC, I just do not have the time for it anymore. Furthermore, as OP (me) clearly stated, this is not a thread about choosing between a PC and a Xbox, it is a question of choosing between a original xbox or a xbox one x, specially if you have 1080P tv.

Konan
06-11-2017, 19:58
This is not another pc vs console thread so please keep it on topic guys...

Edit: crap! Ninja'd by the OP...:cool:

zzjorzz
06-11-2017, 20:03
This is not another pc vs console thread so please keep it on topic guys...

Edit: crap! Ninja'd by the OP...:cool:

I am a ninja!!! :cool: But thanks for the backing!

Jezza819
06-11-2017, 21:01
I have a regular 1080p tv and I'm getting the Xbox One X. I was originally going to wait until after the first of the year when most of the hoopla dies down but because I think PCars2 and other games are going to be better on it, I went ahead and pre ordered around the first of October.

GrimeyDog
06-11-2017, 21:09
I have a regular 1080p tv and I'm getting the Xbox One X. I was originally going to wait until after the first of the year when most of the hoopla dies down but because I think PCars2 and other games are going to be better on it, I went ahead and pre ordered around the first of October.

If i were you i would wait until you get a 4k TV--> other than that its a waste of $$$ ---> Yes its supposed to be faster and more powerful but that extra power only matters if your doing 4k.

zzjorzz
06-11-2017, 22:45
If i were you i would wait until you get a 4k TV--> other than that its a waste of $$$ ---> Yes its supposed to be faster and more powerful but that extra power only matters if your doing 4k.

I do not think that is true at all.

Azure Flare
06-11-2017, 23:24
*Makes noise of tv crowd saying "Boooooooo"

It's posts like this that makes me glad I don't think this way.

zzjorzz
07-11-2017, 11:03
It's posts like this that makes me glad I don't think this way.

That might be true but you contribute exactly the same as he to this thread.....at least his was meant to be funny.

TAGS Battfink
07-11-2017, 14:53
Well, i have a 4k screen, but its not needed. Trust me. Pcars 2 on the x is a massive upgrade over the standard xbone version. Its night and day. Not just resolution, anti aliasing, textures, it looks vastly better on the x and runs a damn sight better.

I have just had a quick hour on it before going back to work. The x will simply super sample all that goodness down to 1080p for your panel. Im blown away, its a massive upgrade

The cockpit interior details are superb, no jaggies, its all fantastic considering its a free upgrade. Pixel count isnt everything, there are so many other factors when considering visual quality, you're still going to get all that goodness, and the fps boost on top

Jezza819
07-11-2017, 15:05

I don't think it's a waste of money. It could be 3 or 4 years or more before I got a 4k tv unless the current one gave out quicker than that. But if there is an improvement in the game at all then I think it's worth it to me.

GrimeyDog
07-11-2017, 15:41
I don't think it's a waste of money. It could be 3 or 4 years or more before I got a 4k tv unless the current one gave out quicker than that. But if there is an improvement in the game at all then I think it's worth it to me.

From what i read It wont be any improvement other than 4k Graphics... it will be the same as PC gamers with Different GPU's the only performance diff will be in the Graphics due to more powerful GPU... other than that its going to be the same because all the Xbox's use the same Game disk/ Software.... a Buggy Game on regular Xbox will still be buggy o Xbox1-x it will just look better.... Even as far as online play all the Xbox will run the same because it has to keep every 1 in sync tge faster processing means Nothing its a MS sales trick IMO

TAGS Battfink
07-11-2017, 16:13
Well you read wrong. I actually have one. It loads faster, AA is better, textures, sound, colour gamut, fps, it does it all better than all other consoles. Resolution is only one small piece of the upgrade.

Pcars 2 is vastly superior on the x across the board, suprised at how much better it looks, was expecting an upgrade but now this much

BrandonWright77
07-11-2017, 16:16
Well, I also have a pc, its a lot of maintenance and extra costs. Between internetsecurity, dozens of different driverupdates that may or may not work together (80 in total on my pc), windows fall updates, java, C++ updates etc.....\
Also managing all the background processes so they do not slow down your rig. So no, a modern PC is not low maintenance.

I don't want to get in trouble so I'll just say that I have none of those issues on my PC. Though the fall update is loaded and ready to install so I do anticipate some issues when it finally forces itself upon me but shouldn't be a big problem to revert back to the previous update. Wasn't my intent to start a PC vs. Console war, just seems like XBox has lots of problems with the current racing titles so throwing more money at another XBox confuses me. But, each to their own. :)

jimortality
07-11-2017, 16:28
What's the gpu equivalent in the xbox x?

SolitarySandpiper
07-11-2017, 16:34
just seems like XBox has lots of problems with the current racing titles so throwing more money at another XBox confuses me. But, each to their own. :)

i think a lot of us are waiting for reports from the vanguard before following suit (or not)

Eric Everfast
07-11-2017, 16:42
What's the gpu equivalent in the xbox x?

Similar to a 1070 apparently. I'm not well versed in hardware technicalities but that seems to be the consensus online.

Aldo Zampatti
07-11-2017, 17:00
1070 is ~6.5 TFLOPs and Xbox one X is ~6Tflops (https://www.anandtech.com/show/10336/nvidia-posts-full-geforce-gtx-1070-specs)

So yes, about the same. BUT, results on a closed console system with the same processing power will probably outperform the GPU on a normal PC by a mile. I won't be surprised to see ~GTX1080 or better performance on the Xbox One X

m355y
07-11-2017, 17:22
Impression I get is that the PS4 Pro is only really worth getting if you have a good enough TV because the difference is subtle, whereas the Xbox One X is a considerable improvement over the base version. I'm reasonably tempted.

Thing is - this isn't going to replace the next generation of consoles, is it? In two or three years, we're still going to be moving on to PS5/new Xbox, so spending so much money on a console with a shelf life of only a couple of years makes me think again. Probably rather wait for the next gen then spend on it.

Think really, the XB1X is the machine the original version should have been.

jimortality
07-11-2017, 17:30
1070 is ~6.5 TFLOPs and Xbox one X is ~6Tflops (https://www.anandtech.com/show/10336/nvidia-posts-full-geforce-gtx-1070-specs)

So yes, about the same. BUT, results on a closed console system with the same processing power will probably outperform the GPU on a normal PC by a mile. I won't be surprised to see ~GTX1080 or better performance on the Xbox One X

So what kind of processing power does it have? Thing is, there will be the new volta graphics card coming out soon and we're already up to the 8700k processor so consoles are always playing catch-up. It sounds like a great console but 6 months time, that technology will be out of date.

Aldo Zampatti
07-11-2017, 17:40
So what kind of processing power does it have? Thing is, there will be the new volta graphics card coming out soon and we're already up to the 8700k processor so consoles are always playing catch-up. It sounds like a great console but 6 months time, that technology will be out of date.

That console should last 3-5 years... If not I would call it a failure. Its pretty powerful tbh although I'm not a fan of XBX (I have a PS4pro).

On the PC side, Volta looks promising but nowadays with a 1080ti you're pretty much future proof for at least 3 years. My last rig lasted for exactly 4 years, and I've replaced GPUs for a 1080ti a couple of months ago. In the future, when volta rocks and I want more power, I might get a 'cheap' 1080ti to SLI the one I have now, that's the flexibility of PCs... But consoles are WAY cheaper, and that's the beauty of them.

TAGS Battfink
07-11-2017, 18:59
All i know is as i said on the last page. Pcars 2 is stunning on the x. Its by far the best upgrade of all 15ish titles ive had patches for. Well done sms, one seriously happy pcars fan here

GrimeyDog
07-11-2017, 20:55
Well you read wrong. I actually have one. It loads faster, AA is better, textures, sound, colour gamut, fps, it does it all better than all other consoles. Resolution is only one small piece of the upgrade.

Pcars 2 is vastly superior on the x across the board, suprised at how much better it looks, was expecting an upgrade but now this much

If the Xbox 1x is really that Good I may pick 1 up... Im going to wait for a bit and see what the reviews are after about 1 month....another concern of mine is the Quality of the FFB --> Pcars Xbox1 FFB was Not up to par with PC or PS4 it was really close but Never exacy on par... Im going to fire up Pcar2 on Xbox1 tonight and see how it feels if the uodate made it any better --> I dont even know if Xbox1 hot the last Pcars2 update... Can any 1 tell Me if the update hit Xbox1 yet and if it made any difference?

Azure Flare
07-11-2017, 22:10

You also have to remember that TFLOPS are calculated differently between Nvidia and AMD. For example, the RX 480, which competes with the GTX 1060, also has 6 TFLOPS.

Ian Bell
07-11-2017, 23:47
All i know is as i said on the last page. Pcars 2 is stunning on the x. Its by far the best upgrade of all 15ish titles ive had patches for. Well done sms, one seriously happy pcars fan here

Could you tell Arstechnica please :)

Roushman624
07-11-2017, 23:55

You have 4K or 1080p?

oscarolim
08-11-2017, 12:53
Well, I got my X yesterday, and after initial set up, first game to be run was Elite (had to be!), quick FM7 at the end to make sure all works for the championship I'm organising, and today was PC2's turn.

In one word, brilliant!

You can clearly see this is the console to play the game. First thing I noticed was the rear view mirrors actually looking good, and not like a Outrun version of the game. Frame is much more stable, so far haven't had issues as with the S. Everything also looks nicer and sharper.
I had stopped playing the game waiting for yesterday, and it was worth the wait.

And yes, if you have a 1080p TV (as I do), it is worth to get the X if you can afford it.

TAGS Battfink
08-11-2017, 13:08
You have 4K or 1080p?

I have a samsung ue55ks8000, but again, even at 1080p this game looks significantly better on the x

Roushman624
08-11-2017, 13:19
Yes buy!

Konan
08-11-2017, 13:26
just bought a PRO a couple of weeks ago...

TopAirspace
08-11-2017, 13:36

I honestly love both my One X and Pro,
Sony really do have some great exclusives.

Olijke Poffer
08-11-2017, 13:39
I have the pro since it came out and bought A PSVR set as well, but there are two games I realy do love and those are not supported in VR.. Project Cars and Elite Dangerous. Feeling a little bit sad about this. So I want to buy a PC or should I go for the cheaper XB1X. ROFL..

TopAirspace
08-11-2017, 13:52
I have the pro since it came out and bought A PSVR set as well, but there are two games I realy do love and those are not supported in VR.. Project Cars and Elite Dangerous. Feeling a little bit sad about this. So I want to buy a PC or should I go for the cheaper XB1X. ROFL..

The answer rhymes with "Fun Sex" :cool:

TAGS Battfink
08-11-2017, 14:10
Pcars 2 on the x. Sure its a crappy off tv phone pic, but you can instantly see the vastly improved visuals

Kriig
08-11-2017, 14:12

I bought a Pro last week too. I'm building on my house, so i haven't opened the box yet:( (slightly off topic, i know)

I'd say to the OP to buy an X if he can. I think it will be worth it. According to Mr Bell and others here, it's a lot better.
And even more so later on.

I considered an Xbox X , but I got the Pro because of games, wheel etc that i already have. Don't wanna buy it all again. Got a 75" 4K Samsung.
Good luck to the OP. :)

GrimeyDog
08-11-2017, 15:07
Finally tried Pcars2 on XB1 last Night after a long time --> feels Ok Not as Good as PC I have 1 Notable gripe Doe's any 1 here use Buttkickers??? I Noticed that Pcars2 that the Buttkickers play Very Low compared to PC and other XB1 games.... I hate having to adjust the Volume on them for just 1 game when all other games they work fine with No adjustment Needed.

The Buttkickers with Pcars2 on XB1 feel like they do with Codemasters games --> Codemasters games buttkickers always play low if at all and Need to be turned up.

edit: I just tested Pcars1 and the Buttkicker feel is Much more vibrant and Much stronger than in Pcars2 with No adjustment needed...Has any 1 else Noticed this???...Yes I checked all the Pcars2 audio settings to make sure they are 100%

I tested in the Gt4 Ginetta

I also play Pcars on PC and Buttkicker feel is Fine.

Niall14
08-11-2017, 19:23
Finally tried Pcars2 on XB1 last Night after a long time --> feels Ok Not as Good as PC I have 1 Notable gripe Doe's any 1 here use Buttkivkers??? I Noticed that Pcars2 that the Buttkickers play Very Low compared to PC and other XB1 games.... I hate having to adjust the Volume on them for just 1 game when all other games they work fine with No adjustment Needed.

The Buttkickers with Pcars2 on XB1 feel like they do with Codemasters games --> Codemasters games buttkickers always play low if at all and Need to be turned up.

edit: I just tested Pcars1 and the Buttkicker feel is Much more vibrant better than in Pcars2 with No adjustment needed...Has any 1 else Noticed this???...Yes I checked all the Pcars2 audio settings to make sure they are 100%

I tested in the Gt4 Ginetta

Yep, have the same gripe on xBox. Hoping it's patchable if enough people highlight it.

Cant post links yet but search for 'cars need more volume and bass' for the thread.

Jezza819
09-11-2017, 16:01
Well, I got my X yesterday, and after initial set up, first game to be run was Elite (had to be!), quick FM7 at the end to make sure all works for the championship I'm organising, and today was PC2's turn.

In one word, brilliant!

You can clearly see this is the console to play the game. First thing I noticed was the rear view mirrors actually looking good, and not like a Outrun version of the game. Frame is much more stable, so far haven't had issues as with the S. Everything also looks nicer and sharper.
I had stopped playing the game waiting for yesterday, and it was worth the wait.

And yes, if you have a 1080p TV (as I do), it is worth to get the X if you can afford it.

I forgot about the rear view mirrors. I was thinking as I was driving last night, "hey that looks like an actual car back there and not a blur".

Even the menus look better, the results page at the end of the race looks sharper, everything looks better.

I ran a race last night that went into dusk so my headlights came on. At the end of the race when you're looking at your car coming at you, the headlights actually had a twinkle look to them instead of just being sort of round and fuzzy looking. That was another WOW moment.

Purg
09-11-2017, 19:54
In two or three years, we're still going to be moving on to PS5/new Xbox, so spending so much money on a console with a shelf life of only a couple of years makes me think again. Probably rather wait for the next gen then spend on it.

I like the XB1X upgrade. It's a significant performance bump that would be comparable to a next-gen console release while being able to run current games. What's so great about a next-gen release? You purchase a high performance console with a fraction of the software library. Microsoft adding more and more 360 content to the XB1 and XB1X while having them cross compatible seems the better option to me.

TAGS Battfink
10-11-2017, 11:11
Did a little 30 second test vid uploaded directly from the X if anyones interested in what it looks like. Vid goes up to 4k 60fps

https://youtu.be/LV1QRTFigOM