PDA

View Full Version : The official, unofficial Nordschleife mega-thread

BubbaGrace
06-11-2017, 19:59
I have been playing racing games almost my entire life. From Pole Position as a baby, Rad Racer, Nigel Mansells F1, Gran Turismo, F1 97, and Need for Speed. You name it, I probably tried it. Once I moved on to PC Gaming I discovered a game called TOCA Race Driver 3 by Codemasters. For me that game was my first dip into playing the genre people (dis)like to refer to as Simcade. I stuck with that for awhile before Grid Autosport came out. I enjoyed that for quite awhile, until a friend of mine who is an avid simracer kept messing with me saying things like "you aren't as good as you think you are" and "that game is easy". I brushed it off like yea whatever.

About a year ago, I saw Project Cars 1 for sale on steam for about $30 USD with all of the DLC. I browsed through the car and track list thinking to myself, hey this looks pretty damn cool. As I was scrolling through all of the tracks something stuck out to me. It was Nordschleife. I was always fascinated by the track because outside of racing games I am a huge autosport and car nut. I had never actually driven either in a game or in life itself. As an American making a weekend trip to the ring is out of the question, unlike for you Euros. I was sold on the game right then and there. I whipped out the old debit card and made my purchase. An hour or so later the game and the ring were ready for me. I was ready for it, or so I thought.

I fired the bad boy up on ye olde PC and immediately went to the time trial. I selected Nordschleife. But what car was I going to use? The choice was obvious for me. We've probably all seen the video of the dude slinging a RUF Yellowbird (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ) (we miss you, please come back to us baby) in a pair of jeans, no gloves and some sandals. I figured I can do that, no problem. Boy was I wrong.

Having never played Project Cars or any other racing sim, I was determined to set a decent time in this car on Nordschleife. That was one of the hardest, most frustrating, but adrenaline filled experiencing I ever had in a virtual sense. I probably spun out, wrecked, or crashed into every single wall or corner on the track all in one sitting. It didn't help the race director in PCars1 on the Ring was so strict that all it took was pretty much 1 tire and the grass and you were DQ'd. After about 5 straight hours of attempt after attempt I finally did it. The last straight was so nerve racking, I was shaking because I was finally going to make it. My time was an 8:38 something. I didn't know if that was good or bad. I didn't care either because I did it.

All I did in Project Cars 1 was time trial on the ring. In the end I damn near set a time with every car (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18DpA6XN4Jg_aEFCvz6NLV0yZMvu0IqLPsG1jFLo94xc/edit?usp=sharing) in the game on it. Some decent, some not so much. I was just happy to be able to drive this amazing track in an awesome game. I play a lot of PCars 2 now, and don't drive Nordschleife as much as I used to. I have moved on to doing online races, learning about setups and all of that nerdy stuff. The ring is still my "home" though. The new laser scanned version is even more amazing than the first one.

So thank you Mr. Bell and the SMS team for giving me the ability to ruin over a billion dollars in machinery on this awesome legendary track. Even now after all this time I still pull my hair out over some of the corners and destroy cars I could never dream of driving. But I love every second of it. What about you guys/gals? What are you experiences with Green Hell? Share your stories, funny moments, videos, whatever with me and the rest of us rats.

Here is probably the most stressful but enjoyable laps I ever completed on Nordschleife. It's the Ford Falcon FG on the Ring in PCars 1. I even had an off right before Youtube corner but the race director gods let me slide. Oh and by the way I play with a controller.... I'll have a wheel one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNdtWEQvtgI

Thanks for reading my NOT blog, lol.

FxUK
06-11-2017, 20:18
As an American making a weekend trip to the ring is out of the question, unlike for you Euros. I was sold on the game right then and there. I whipped out the old debit card and made my purchase. An hour or so later the game and the ring were ready for me. I was ready for it, or so I thought.
All I did in Project Cars 1 was time trial on the ring.

:(

I will happily admit, Project Cars 1 enticed me and a friend to make a road trip to the ring... being from the UK it didn't take that long to drive their and it was an amazing experience.
We both paid for one of those 'experience packages' and got driven around for a few laps by Michael Vergers in a Radical SR3.. absolutely amazing :)
Edit: As it happened, on the first lap we had a run in with a ferrari, a slight side scrape, nothing to worry about, but that certainly got the adrenaline pumping.

I wasn't confident enough, at the time, to take my own car around... and couldn't really afford it if something went wrong.

Up until then, all we did was time trials on Nordschleife too, each lap trying to best each other. Whilst its still my favorite and most driven track (even in PC2) I do enjoy the variety available, my list of fav tracks is growing ;)

So, a thank you to Ian Bell and the team from me too.. if it wasn't for Project Cars, I would likely have never bothered.
It was PC that made me fall in love with the ring.

McKiernan
06-11-2017, 20:30
More posts like these please. I love the Green Hell, not been there for reals yet, but going to the 24hour is on the bucket list for sure

Ashleyqprw12
06-11-2017, 20:49
Has to be done guys! A superb place for any enthusiast! I have avoided it so far in PC2 as I'm trying to enjoy the games many options! On other games I quickly get trapped hot lapping the Nordschleife, does anyone here watch the VLN race series? Something I'm really looking forward to recreating on PC2. 911 GT3's lapping Cayman GT4's lapping Clios superb!

drizzit
06-11-2017, 21:14
Love Nordschleife, its really hard to drive and absolutely 0 forgiving BUT its alot of fun simply because the track has a bit of everything in it!

Only real track I have been to in real life, having gone around it a few times. Couldnt really afford it at the time but some day I need to get that experience package to have a pro drive me around it :D

Having it laser scanned in PC2 is a great addition and for anyone that havent tried it yet all I can say is, do it now! lol

beatrunner
06-11-2017, 21:27
i agree guys, the nordschleife ist just an amazing track. if not the most crazy track on the world - so to say.
but one thing: nordschleife in PC1 was so much better looking then in PC2.

or am i the only one who hates the trees...

but anyway - love the schleife...love PC2

FxUK
06-11-2017, 21:45
Love Nordschleife, its really hard to drive and absolutely 0 forgiving BUT its alot of fun simply because the track has a bit of everything in it!

Only real track I have been to in real life, having gone around it a few times. Couldnt really afford it at the time but some day I need to get that experience package to have a pro drive me around it :D

Having it laser scanned in PC2 is a great addition and for anyone that havent tried it yet all I can say is, do it now! lol

The experience package was worth it, for me at least. No way I would be driving round their like he did. It felt awesome flying past almost every other car on the track, although a few cars (Porsche mainly) did put up a fight, for a short while, which made the experience even better. If I remember correctly, Michael Verger at the time held the (or one of the) lap records (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_SR8) on the ring (not sure how it works in that respect) even though it was in an SR8 and he drove me in an SR3, It felt like he didn't hold back.

When driving it myself in Project Cars 2 (not racing as such) but in VR, in the SR3, with multi-class opponents (mainly slower ones), boy does it feel good...
I just wish I could fill the track with ALL cars at once, just to get an even better touristenfahrten experience ;)

BubbaGrace
07-11-2017, 01:46
I haven't driven that car yet on any track. But if it drives similar to the The Radical RX then I can imagine. The RX is awesome to make a run with. I just did one earlier today for the first time actually.

EDIT: No double post. I just did a couple ring laps with the Camaro ZL1 as well. I finally understand what they mean by flinging a car around the track. I loved that car before, but after really "getting it", I LOVE IT.

TorTorden
07-11-2017, 06:41
My current in game guilty pleasure is the nordscheilfe+GP combined. (allows me to pit)

Mostly just driving it for the fun of it in the caterham seven.

Often I set time and weather to current to. But it is a lot better to drive on a warm summer's day than the sleets of late autumn.
Once I set the time to an early morning, well 9am. Weather was clear now but I had been on the night before and it was raining then.

At first I figured "nice clear weather" I quickly realised that might be the case in the dry well lit sections.
But in the shaded parts of the track it was still cold and wet from the night before, so ended up having to drive very carefully.

Seriously having weather simulated to this degree blew my mind.
Sure there might be some bugs in this game but to me. The good far outweigh the bad.
And a lot of it is world class.

m355y
07-11-2017, 07:00
You can tell the Nordchleife is now laser scanned, it feels superior to the version in the original in every way.

The list of travks, for me, is THE best thing about PCARS 2. It's damn cool. Pretty much every track I've ever wanted, in glorious detail.

zbran
07-11-2017, 07:56
If they removed everything from the game except the Nurburgring and the Cateram 7 I'd still be happy with my purchase. :D. Its a legendary track, it has everything!

Cholton82
07-11-2017, 08:01
Just needs the Tourist route and car park like AC , This is all I use AC for !

Algarde86
07-11-2017, 09:33
The best of the best, especially in autumn, during sunset and alone, with an amazing Aston Martin DBR 1/300

MisterBronze
07-11-2017, 09:40
Love Nords and GP Combined. Spend a lot of time on it in AC and Rf2 and now PC2.

Watched my first race on it this year with the 24HR and I can honestly say it was the best Motor Race I have ever watched. I'l caveat that by saying I have not been a massive follower of motorsport on TV, mainly some F1 (though less now) and Touring Car. So now I have BT Vision (in the UK) and with Youtube as well, I am gorging myself on Sportcar racing.

Thoroughly enjoying the VLN races and as they are on Youtube it's easy to catch up. Highly recommended.

This year has been a real motorsport eye opener for me and it all kicked off with getting back in to Sim Racing after about a 9 year absence (GTR2).

Nyreen
07-11-2017, 10:22
The Nurb is an awesome track to throw a car around and just feel how it performs. High speed corners, tight and slow corners, rough for the suspensions, giant back straight, ...

Anyway, maybe Gran Turismo 4 and 5 soaked the sh.. out of this track, now I'm kinda bored of it. The main reasons are ;
- You can't TT on the ring. Putting a decent laptime is a achievement, let alone be consistent. I like trying a whole class of cars and compare laptimes, the nordshleife is far from my benchmarks.
- It's hard to have decent racing on the ring, outside of endurance. You can't overtake, so you either wait for the guy in front to make a mistake, or you wait period.

I've considered getting on the ring one day with my motorcycle, and I notice the Karussell is a very dangerous corner with its slippery, banked pavement. A whole section has been closed, and some corners reworked to make the track safer, but these types of corners still exist. They are biased and should decide a little more like Pikes Peak. You either go full crazy (and don't change anything), or make the track a safe place for everyone.

LockeChris
07-11-2017, 10:31
I live not so far away from the Nordschleife and I can confirm it really is a special place. Been there many times for VLN and the 24h races and the track and atmosphere there are just incredible! You're so close to the track, which really elevates the whole experience and makes you realize how fast these guys really go, it's insane! Especially knowing the track from driving it your own ;)
And then when it gets dark and the cars just keep racing like before, seeming even faster now, and you hear the different exhaust notes coming toward you from behind that hill and know this will be car XYZ whose headlights will pierce through the dark at any second...it's just goosebumps! :eek:

Here's two videos I recorded at one of the 24h races! The first is the very first lap, waiting for the pack to arrive at Brünnchen, which is really spectacular when they all storm in at once! And the second is a quick shot in the night with some awesome sound from an R8 followed by a Z4 :cool:

https://youtu.be/tU1iC5QsGp4

https://youtu.be/op25ytQ57WU

Invincible
07-11-2017, 11:04
I've considered getting on the ring one day with my motorcycle, and I notice the Karussell is a very dangerous corner with its slippery, banked pavement. A whole section has been closed, and some corners reworked to make the track safer, but these types of corners still exist. They are biased and should decide a little more like Pikes Peak. You either go full crazy (and don't change anything), or make the track a safe place for everyone.

You can still drive on the asphalt (upper) part of the Caracciola Karussel, if you want to be safe. But reworking the Ring just to make it more accessible for Motorcycles is a very big No-No for me. I understand that some modernisations have to be made, but never ever touch* the Karussel or change the layout.

*other than re-paving the asphalt part that is.

Redadeg
07-11-2017, 11:08
Did my first laps long time ago on the passenger seat of an yellow Porsche GT2 making some inboard recordings for a sports driver training. Driver was Stippler. Wow. The first 2 minutes i just wanna go out of the car. After that i realised, he knows what i does and startet to relax and enjoy the trip.

After finishing 2 laps, i realised that i had forgotten to push the trigger on the cam.

As i said, many years ago as we were working as driving instructors, but did not forgett about it. Meanwhile i did many laps for my self in real, and even more on the PC (GPL, AC, R3E, PC2). Faszinating track. Always would be unbeaten of any other.

BubbaGrace
07-11-2017, 19:19
I'll tell you what dudes. The Radical SR3 is awesome on Nordschleife. Hot butter on warm bread.

BubbaGrace
08-11-2017, 11:02
I was bored so I put a lap together in the Radical SR3 and threw it up on Youtube. It's not a perfect lap but pretty decent for me. You can really push this thing around and not have to worry about much. I could knock some time off this lap for sure if I was using a custom setup and pushing a bit harder on a few corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6oHwqExlc

Redadeg
08-11-2017, 11:38
OK, because of your thread, i got tasty and tried yesterda a short information lap (just driving, no pushing) with a stupid beginner mistake in Ex-Mühle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVP7ta4MrLc

BubbaGrace
08-11-2017, 11:58
I've bit the bullet where you made your mistake many many times. When I do it's usually on the exit when I put down a bit too much power and spin right out.

fuschs
08-11-2017, 12:22
Awesome thread and OP :)

For me the love story with Nordschleife didn't start well. I knew it was a bloody long and dangerous track but never drove it myself before buying Project Cars 1. I had a league race on it at some point, however I wasn't ready to do it. Guess what? It came back on the calendar few seasons after lol. So I had to start learning a track I never raced on.. And be very quick on it on top of that.
And what a track it was. While practising I crashed countless times before even setting a lap. I was starting to get desperate but then I reminded myself, "it's a race track, just a really long one".
Indeed, a very long one. Often I would forget what the next corner would be like, what amount of speed I could carry, etc.

The relief you get after getting out of Hocheichen was something new to me. The more lap I got under my belt, the more I could appreciate the beauty of this track.
I acknowledged how awesome are drivers to get around it, and also why the Green Hell nickname, is not a nickname at all. :p

Redadeg
08-11-2017, 12:22
It was hitting the curb with m left rear. Power was ok if i stayed on the asphalt :-)

BubbaGrace
08-11-2017, 12:32
Yea I saw that. I was just saying that corner has been problematic for me in the past. Not as much as it used to be but it still will catch me out sometimes.

m00lean
08-11-2017, 12:58
I love this track. Everytime I fire up pcars, I drive at least one lap there. I just wish they add the pits at the Nordschleife again, so we can drive on just the Nordschleife without the GP part.

In pars1 I drove about 8.000 km on the Nordschleife. In pcars2 it's about 3000 km now. My favourite cars are the Caterham Seven, pretty much all road cars and the Cayman GT4.

IJerichoI
08-11-2017, 13:04
Well I did my first laps in GPL, when this was the first game to feature that track overall. Then this GPL track was modded and got into the GTR and GTL and rfactor sims. However, back then with a gamepad or joystick I never really got to complete even a single lap.

As GT4 came out with the first really good modern version, I tackled the track there. What I did was learning all the curves over the time just to get the track flow. As I got this, I used the Sport Auto series which described the ideal driving line on a E46 BMW M3 SMG (here (https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/ideallinie-nuerburgring-nordschleife-kurve-fuer-kurve-teil-1-start-ziel-bis-hocheichen-1051169.html), for those interested). I tried to adapt it, and got better and better over time.

In 2012 I infact used GT4 to check on the before mentioned document again, as I planned a trip with my own car there. I used a 100hp Opel Tigra and drove 10+ laps on my PS2 and the G25.

Until now I got several laps of experience on the real track, and I can say that I can take any car in any sim and don't have a problem driving them over the track at a good pace without getting into troubles.

It is always rather hair-raising if your really go 100% for a lap, I think I mostly drive in the 95%-enducrance-manner. I love that we get laser scan versions now, as it was always hard to get everything right for developers and you just don't have fun anymore driving a "faulty" track if you know the real thing and see all the flaws.

PC2 infact raised that immersion with the whole dynamic track and weather thing, and I mostly use OEM-road cars on this track.

However, the real thing is vastly different in terms of perception (ups and downs, cambers, "shortness" of straights and so on). But the virtual one helps you gain respect, and to get it 100% correct in terms of driving line and everything is pretty hard.

BubbaGrace
08-11-2017, 13:06
There really is nothing like it. Once you get it down and know where you are going at all times it truly is an amazing experience. To the people reading this who have given up on the ring, don't quit. For me I went from feeling lost to all of the sudden it just clicking. There is no better feeling than burning through the ring with confidence. All of the other tracks feel bland in comparison afterwards.

BubbaGrace
08-11-2017, 14:46
Sorry for the double post but, what tire pressures is everyone aiming for in time trial? Tire pressure and temps are still voodoo magic to me.

LockeChris
12-11-2017, 20:35
Sorry that I have no answer to your tire question Bubba, but I thought it would be worth to share this video here, in case anybody's not seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QohDmo4gqQE

BubbaGrace
12-11-2017, 20:47
It's hard for me to tell just how fast he is going due to the camera angles. It's still a cool video to watch. Now I am going to try this is in a Formula Rookie or Formula C car.