PDA

View Full Version : How realistic is 1 deg rear toe?

danowat
07-11-2017, 09:25
I've been spending a lot of time in the Astra touring car, and it's a tough car to drive (with the pad), I've tried to tune out the really snappy oversteer, which just comes out of nowhere most of the time, with (what I call) normal tuning, and never really managed to do it, until I changed the rear toe.

Now the setup will allow a max of 1 deg toe adjustment, this completely cures the snap oversteer, and doesn't seem to come at a penalty to straightline stability, or tyre heat issues, infact it helps keep heat in the tyres.

Now my question is, how realistic is 1 deg of rear toe on a car like this?, should it come with more of a penalty?, why wouldn't the default setup have more toe to make the car more stable?

Nyreen
07-11-2017, 11:34
Adjusting the rear toe is a technique used IRL to decrease the mid-corner understeer and prevent the snap, which is caused when you get the traction back with more steering than enough, and the throttle input just makes the rear loose.

So, most of the times; unless you drive a very powerful car, the snap oversteer is caused by understeer. #TheMoreYouKnow

You can save it on a wheel if you're used to the handling of the car in specific corners, but as a controller player myself (until a month), I feel you. This is one of the reasons controller players stopped playing PC1, the snap was barely manageable with out-of-the-box controller settings. Have you tried stable setup ? Anyway, if you got rid of the snap, kudos to you. I can't handle Touring Cars myself.

danowat
07-11-2017, 11:39
Yes, I used to stable setup as a base, it's a completely different car with 1 deg of rear toe, I just didn't know how realistic it was for a car of the Astra's ilk to be running with 1 deg toe at the back, and if the game punished me enough for using this much rear toe.