PDA

View Full Version : H-Shifter recommended for online play?

V3nom
07-11-2017, 10:06
Hi guys!
I have just gotten into simracing and am loving this game in general. I used the word in general because of the frustrating bugs but these will hopefully disappear soon.
I am for sure going to buy a wheel and pedal set at the end of the month, probably the t300 gt edition.
Now I'll come to the actual point of this post. The t300 pedals come with a clutch pedal. I actually enjoy shifting in real life very much and that's why I am thinking of getting the TH8A shifter. In regards to this I have two questions.
1.Are you able to use the H-Shifter on every car or does it depend of the actual car gearbox?
2.Can you still be competitive in online play against guys shifting with paddle shifters or even against guys with automatic shifting?
I have the feeling that a H-Shifter would slow me down quite a bit.

Thanks in advance for the responses. :)

pablito
07-11-2017, 10:12
1. yes, you can use what you want.
2. with practice you can be competitive, but paddle + auto clutch in most cases is little faster

RomKnight
07-11-2017, 11:19
I've actually won a pc1 championship of gr.5 cars like that. Manual clutch obviously.

The sense of achievement is just worth it. Even when not winning races, just bringing the car home intact is already OK.

I just wish I had VR at that time for that one to be perfect :)

V3nom
07-11-2017, 12:20
Thanks for the answers guys.
Wow that's nice RomKnight! :D
Exactly that is the reason why I'm thinking of going for the shifter anyway. It's so much more fun. I just hope it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Kebabfelix
07-11-2017, 12:54
I'm seconds ahead of people by using the H-shifter in group 5/a cars.

RomKnight
07-11-2017, 13:02
Lets not forget about the "penalty" that slows down the shifting so paddles/autoclutch is not an advantage on this cars.

I'm not sure I'm seconds faster but I have to say I'm a lot more smoother and since this cars don't have any assists (the gr.5) i'm not lured into braking so late I mess up.

The Capri is a bit of a monster so smooth driving braking a bit earlier and downshifting properly rewards me especially wrt to engine in the long run and somehow it's easier to manage the turbo lag too.

zbran
07-11-2017, 13:19
I have the T300RS and just got the shifter add on last week. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to but it's a blast imo. I tend to use it in various ways. I'll go full manual if the car was available with a manual gearbox irl. For everything else I switch the shifter to sequential mode and change gear that way. There are a few exceptions for my rules though. For instance the Cateram 7. Its a difficult car to handle as it's so light and powerful so on a track like the Nurburgring with this car I use the wheel paddles because you'd want to be insane to take your hands off the wheel. :D. I suspect is set up other similar cars like that too. The Radicals for instance.

bradleyland
07-11-2017, 13:23
Lets not forget about the "penalty" that slows down the shifting so paddles/autoclutch is not an advantage on this cars.

Exactly. If you don't have an H-shifter, each car shifts at it's own speed, which is based on the animation sequence programmed into the car. When you have an H-shifter, you can shift as quickly as you can move the lever, regardless of the car.

Nyreen
07-11-2017, 13:35
^^ Not true, or at least on PC. Disabling auto-clutch doesn't make the clutch useable. You can just lift the throttle to upshift and blip to downshift, without the use of a clutch. The auto-clutch basically just clutches on and off for you with a less aggressive manner, so it's a bit slower but totally consistent. Without the auto-clutch, you can miss-shift if you don't respect the delay sequence of each cars you're talking about. Happens a lot to me with Group C and the F40 when I try to shift quickly.

So, as for now, the heel & toe isn't really implemented yet.

Fanapryde
07-11-2017, 13:35
When you have an H-shifter, you can shift as quickly as you can move the lever
When you are not using the clutch that is.
If you do use a clutch it is a whole other story... but they seem to be working on that...

Zaskarspants
07-11-2017, 13:41
I usually use my g921 shifter in sequential mode for cars with a H shift as I very often miss gears otherwise. I find shifting through the gate is fiddly without the tactile feedback a real stick has.

Anyone do a force feedback gear leaver?

vitinho0z
07-11-2017, 13:43
Get a Nascar Car on Texas Road, default, MANUAL clutch, NO ASSISTS...

and tell me if it really looks easy to drive with H Shifter.

Nyreen
07-11-2017, 14:33
Apart from the understeery chassis and tail happy engine layout, the H-pattern doesn't make this car specifically struggling. It even shifts nicely and quickly ! Try F40 on Sonoma.

honespc
07-11-2017, 15:05
Assetto Corsa has a built-in system that allows those who use no assists+ no auto clutch and auto-blip+ h-shift pattern (in the cars that feature it) to go faster than the rest. So, if you really seek for not only the feel of achievement but also a feeling of fairness for the extra effort you gotta put on the table when compared to others that may use auto-clutch, auto-blip or any other assists, then assetto is the game you're looking for, because it is the very game that allows you to go faster through corners and control your car with more ease when on the limit too.

Jaood
07-11-2017, 15:13
At this stage i wouldn't recommend a h-shifter for this game, maybe with the next patch and gearbox delay fixes it could be worth it but atm it just messes with your technique with the no revmatching no clutch shifting and delay.
Apart fromt that it is the best addition you can get, so much more engaging and rewarding in every aspect.

Kebabfelix
07-11-2017, 19:33
At this stage i wouldn't recommend a h-shifter for this game, maybe with the next patch and gearbox delay fixes it could be worth it but atm it just messes with your technique with the no revmatching no clutch shifting and delay.
Apart fromt that it is the best addition you can get, so much more engaging and rewarding in every aspect.

What? I actually have to revmatch with heel and toe for once. In AC with group A I can downshift however I want, never have the gear jumped into place and the rear locks.

Swass
07-11-2017, 20:02
I use the TH8A. I like it a lot. I can't offer any comparisons, though, because the TH8A is the only one I've used thus far. If I was to do it over again, I'd spend the extra $$ on Fanatec vs. Thrustmaster.

1.Are you able to use the H-Shifter on every car or does it depend of the actual car gearbox?

Yes, you can, although if the car I'm driving has paddles, I use the paddles. The TH8A supports H-pattern or sequential.

2.Can you still be competitive in online play against guys shifting with paddle shifters or even against guys with automatic shifting?

Yes.

Jaood
07-11-2017, 20:15
What? I actually have to revmatch with heel and toe for once. In AC with group A I can downshift however I want, never have the gear jumped into place and the rear locks.
:highly_amused: Sure sure

satco1066
07-11-2017, 22:51
I usually use my g921 shifter in sequential mode for cars with a H shift as I very often miss gears otherwise. I find shifting through the gate is fiddly without the tactile feedback a real stick has.

Anyone do a force feedback gear leaver?

on a PC you could add a little tactile speaker to the gear shifter by using Simvibe from SimXperience.
No luck on consoles.