PDA

View Full Version : Is it my driving? plus 3 in 1

jimortality
08-11-2017, 11:52
I have 3 questions for you cheers

1. I did use the search function about tire smoke but couldn't find my issue. When I'm racing on certain tracks and I look in my mirror, I'm leaving a trail of smoke from my left side tires when going round right handers. I don't know if it my temps are wrong or my dodgy driving. What do you think?

2. Trail braking. I knew about this for motorbikes but I'm not familiar with it in cars yet I hear people talk about it so not being a petrol/tech head how does it work.

3. Have any of you gone from racing on a monitor to a tv? I know it's done the other way round quite a bit but I have a great 27" monitor but I'm seeing more and more people on youtube etc seem to be gaming on big screen with their pc's. Cheers

CoproManiac
08-11-2017, 11:58
1. I believe it's from turning the wheel too much when cornering.

2. You brake while you're turning into the corner. Line braking is braking in a straight line.

3. I race on a 49" TV.

MartinMWWebb
08-11-2017, 11:59
1- pretty sure its a known bug.

2- believe this may help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvcuGoVhpxw

3- I use a 49" TV when im not in VR - never used a monitor, no issues for me.

Olijke Poffer
08-11-2017, 12:00
1: this is a known bug. AFAIK this will be solved with the upcomming patch
2: no Idea
3: yes, I game on a 55inch HD tv and works great.

jimortality
08-11-2017, 12:12
1. I believe it's from turning the wheel too much when cornering.

2. You brake while you're turning into the corner. Line braking is braking in a straight line.

3. I race on a 49" TV.

1- pretty sure its a known bug.

2- believe this may help?

3- I use a 49" TV when im not in VR - never used a monitor, no issues for me.

1: this is a known bug. AFAIK this will be solved with the upcomming patch
2: no Idea
3: yes, I game on a 55inch HD tv and works great.

Did you all go from a monitor to a tv?

CoproManiac
08-11-2017, 12:16

Nope.

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 12:28
I've used a 55" TV for gaming for years now.... I find a monitor much too small.

jimortality
08-11-2017, 12:34
I can imagine a big tv is great for sim racing but do you play any other games? I used to use a tv when on console but since I've been a pc gamer, it's mainly been all about monitors as everyone is always going on about refresh rate, input lag blah blah. I see the vids and I must say, it does look good but I don't want to sacrifice graphics quality for bigness lol

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 12:38
Yes I do play other games (Mainly FPS) and as long as you have a decent TV it's so much better than a monitor.

CoproManiac
08-11-2017, 12:42
I can imagine a big tv is great for sim racing but do you play any other games? I used to use a tv when on console but since I've been a pc gamer, it's mainly been all about monitors as everyone is always going on about refresh rate, input lag blah blah. I see the vids and I must say, it does look good but I don't want to sacrifice graphics quality for bigness lol

Not that many other games, mainly Battlefield 3 actually. I'm not that much of a gamer anymore tbh. Played some PCars1 and AC aswell, but haven't played them in a while.
I agree, refresh rate is not as high as on monitors and there's a slight bit of input lag (atleast, there's a bit of input lag whilst playing on the TV I own at the moment, didn't experience any on my previous TV). But those things are not game braking.

But, you can easily connect your PC to your TV and find out how it feels for yourself.

jimortality
08-11-2017, 13:27
Not that many other games, mainly Battlefield 3 actually. I'm not that much of a gamer anymore tbh. Played some PCars1 and AC aswell, but haven't played them in a while.
I agree, refresh rate is not as high as on monitors and there's a slight bit of input lag (atleast, there's a bit of input lag whilst playing on the TV I own at the moment, didn't experience any on my previous TV). But those things are not game braking.

But, you can easily connect your PC to your TV and find out how it feels for yourself.

Yeah I could do. I have a Samsung 4k tv 40"

Olijke Poffer
08-11-2017, 13:41
I've used a 55" TV for gaming for years now.... I find a monitor much too small.
2nd this.

MartinMWWebb
08-11-2017, 13:43

Nope as in my post - never used a monitor for gaming - i mostly play PCARS and GTA V though

Mad Al
08-11-2017, 13:46
Trail braking in a car is basically the same thing as on a bike, basically bleeding off brakes whilst steering, some cars do it easily, some don't.. only difference is it hurts less when you get it wrong in a car..

As for using a TV as a monitor... make sure to get it in a low input lag mode first.. normal TV modes tend to be bloody awful for lag.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag?uxtv=649f#comparison_544

jimortality
08-11-2017, 13:49
Trail braking in a car is basically the same thing as on a bike, basically bleeding off brakes whilst steering, some cars do it easily, some don't.. only difference is it hurts less when you get it wrong in a car..

As for using a TV as a monitor... make sure to get it in a low input lag mode first.. normal TV modes tend to be bloody awful for lag.

So you brake as you're turning the corner, I can't get it in my head how that works because on a bike, I think it's all on the rear brake yes?

jimortality
08-11-2017, 13:50
2nd this.

Are you on ps4 though mate? it's different as consoles are more designed with the bigger tv's in mind

jimortality
08-11-2017, 13:52

wow those top 2 LG models are low for a tv

Mad Al
08-11-2017, 14:02
So you brake as you're turning the corner, I can't get it in my head how that works because on a bike, I think it's all on the rear brake yes?

Na, front brake generally.. all the way to the apex, then as you roll on throttle you release the brake..

err.. looking for a youtube ref.. here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkRWp8P7X1A

and for cars (driver 61)

jimortality
08-11-2017, 14:27
Na, front brake generally.. all the way to the apex, then as you roll on throttle you release the brake..

err.. looking for a youtube ref.. here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkRWp8P7X1A

and for cars (driver 61)

Yeah I started to look at the car one earlier but it's hard work trying to understand

Olijke Poffer
08-11-2017, 14:37
Are you on ps4 though mate? it's different as consoles are more designed with the bigger tv's in mind

Yeah I am. But planning to buy a PC and this will be mainly used on my tv as well. Although I have a 22inch wide screen monitor as well. But 1080p is 1080p whether it comes from a pc or ps4..

jimortality
08-11-2017, 17:08
Well, while I've been sat in work, I've ordered a 49" LG 4k tv being delivered tonight

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 17:32
It's too easy is it not.

Keena
08-11-2017, 17:47
You guys are inspiring me to re-acquire the 49 inch family tv that is currently locked on CBBC.. I always assumed resolution would suffer, but from what I'm reading here not the case. Another good thread :)

Update. Wife 1- 0 Husband

Krobo
08-11-2017, 18:12
Well, while I've been sat in work, I've ordered a 49" LG 4k tv being delivered tonight

That's what I have & with pCars2 I can run 4k @60hrz with just about everything maxed , some stuff you can turn down because the higher rez takes care of a lot of the jaggies & such .. you will enjoy it !! it's pretty much plug & play you might want to see if that model has any post processing going on & turn them off for gaming . I love my LG , I also have 2 LG android 8" pads running my dashPi hud for all the exra data .. I also play all my FPS games in 4k , you need a nice video card to push the 4k ,I use a Nvid 1080 ..

clanky
08-11-2017, 18:54
You guys are inspiring me to re-acquire the 49 inch family tv that is currently locked on CBBC.. I always assumed resolution would suffer, but from what I'm reading here not the case. Another good thread :)

Update. Wife 1- 0 Husband

Yep I game on my 4k tv whatever the TCL Roku Black Friday sale was that my wife got. I swiped it from the living room when I picked up a 1080ti. Although that said I race in VR and save the replays to rewatch in 4k later. It looks amazing. Other games I do play and with the Game Mode on I don't notice a difference in the monitor I had. Not saying others can't, just saying I can't.

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 19:04
Yeah don't forget the 'Game Mode'

jimortality
08-11-2017, 19:53
Bloody hell!!! it's massive!............................how far are you sitting from your screens?

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 19:55
I have my wheel base nearly touching the screen, then disable the in car wheel so it matches up exactly.

Blake-Lee43
08-11-2017, 19:57
I'm using monitors, didn't notice heaps of difference. I also have them almost touching my wheel base, this test video I made is a great example.
https://youtu.be/AqUmgtSN-d0

Keena
08-11-2017, 20:10
I have my wheel base nearly touching the screen, then disable the in car wheel so it matches up exactly.

Robbed the telly from our spare room. Not quite as large but still bigger than a normal pc monitor. All I can say is I'm glad I spotted this thread. Ive had to readjust my fov settings in helmet cam because suddenly everything feels really close ;) Thanks for putting your thoughts down guys. Big help :)

jimortality
08-11-2017, 20:12

So you're literally sat what 2 feet away?

Robbed the telly from our spare room. Not quite as large but still bigger than a normal pc monitor. All I can say is I'm glad I spotted this thread. Ive had to readjust my fov settings in helmet cam because suddenly everything feels really close ;) Thanks for putting your thoughts down guys. Big help :)

It's gonna take some getting used to.

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 20:14
Yeah my eyes are about 26"/27" from the screen, using a Playseat Challenge.
Plus 2 tablets and a phone for apps.

jimortality
08-11-2017, 20:16
I'm using monitors, didn't notice heaps of difference. I also have them almost touching my wheel base, this test video I made is a great example.
https://youtu.be/AqUmgtSN-d0

Tell me you weren't really wearing a helmet.

Blake-Lee43
08-11-2017, 20:58
Tell me you weren't really wearing a helmet.
Only because I was testing that camera angle, I didn't want to stick a camera on my headset with out knowing how it would look. So I already have a camera on my helmet from riding bikes and was an easy way to test, now I know it works I can stick it to my headset