PDA

View Full Version : I maybe discovered why some cars handle so exaggerated

NutieNastya
08-11-2017, 12:06
So, basically I was wondering why cars like the P1 GTR and 650S GT3 handle so weirdly exaggerated from understeering into wild oversteering mid corner. I tried many things, tweaked values etc... nothing really helped, the character reamained very biased and not really neutral. It was not really how I would expect such cars to handle. Anyway, today I discovered that some of the slow bump and rebound values are a bit exaggerated in both of the default setups.

For example the McLaren 650S, a car I already gave up driving because it honestly felt like I had suspension damage. Anyway, the values (in N/m/s) on the default setup are 19700 slow bump, 19300 slow rebound in the front. That's quite neutral but in the rear we have the values of 13050 slow bump and 27300 slow rebound!

I'm not a ultimate guru when it comes to setups, so please correct me if I'm horribly mistaken here but as soon as I brought these two values closer together the car stopped handling abnormaly and suddendly felt well balanced. Probably not faster by any means but it transformed into something I acutally find reasonable to drive as a GT3 car. Same can be said for the P1 GTR which was a mess to be honest, no matter what I did it felt so unstable until I did that to it aswell.

So why am I here pointing this out if I can fix it by altering one value? Because not everyone will look into the setup sheet like that. Tweaking, yes, but trying to fix the suspension? I doubt it, I just discovered it by accident because I thought it's a bit much compared to the bump value... well, I was right. As a conclusion I want to say that default setups should not skew a cars handling that massively, they should be somewhat neutral to give an acutal representation of the car and not something you would try out experimentally to see what 'it does' to the car.

Thanks for reading :)

Edit, this is my setup with the "corrected" values:

blinkngone
08-11-2017, 13:34
So, basically I was wondering why cars like the P1 GTR and 650S GT3 handle so weirdly exaggerated from understeering into wild oversteering mid corner. I tried many things, tweaked values etc... nothing really helped, the character reamained very biased and not really neutral. It was not really how I would expect such cars to handle. Anyway, today I discovered that some of the slow bump and rebound values are a bit exaggerated in both of the default setups.

For example the McLaren 650S, a car I already gave up driving because it honestly felt like I had suspension damage. Anyway, the values (in N/m/s) on the default setup are 19700 slow bump, 19300 slow rebound in the front. That's quite neutral but in the rear we have the values of 13050 slow bump and 27300 slow rebound!

I'm not a ultimate guru when it comes to setups, so please correct me if I'm horribly mistaken here but as soon as I brought these two values closer together the car stopped handling abnormaly and suddendly felt well balanced. Probably not faster by any means but it transformed into something I acutally find reasonable to drive as a GT3 car. Same can be said for the P1 GTR which was a mess to be honest, no matter what I did it felt so unstable until I did that to it aswell.

So why am I here pointing this out if I can fix it by altering one value? Because not everyone will look into the setup sheet like that. Tweaking, yes, but trying to fix the suspension? I doubt it, I just discovered it by accident because I thought it's a bit much compared to the bump value... well, I was right. As a conclusion I want to say that default setups should not skew a cars handling that massively, they should be somewhat neutral to give an acutal representation of the car and not something you would try out experimentally to see what 'it does' to the car.

Thanks for reading :)

Edit, this is my setup with the "corrected" values:

Hi, Nutie! Agree with you on some of the GT3's as well as other cars, the rebound seems too much.:D I have also tried altering the rebound transition which may be why the value is negative in default.

NutieNastya
08-11-2017, 16:11
Good idea :)

Fight-Test
08-11-2017, 17:01
Here is hkraft suspension settings for the 650. Give it a run and compare to default and your findings. It's lighting fast and can hang with the ferraris. Might help you figure out the issue with default as I agree it wasn't good.

All front/rear

Springs 175/245

Slow bump 8500/13050
Slow reb 12900/22500
Fast bump 5000/4600
Fast reb 5900/5550
Bump trans 770/1050
Reb trans 1070/1960

NutieNastya
08-11-2017, 17:16
@Fight-Test I will give it a run, thank you, but keep in mind that fast for you does not mean it's fast for every driver.

VelvetTorpedo
08-11-2017, 17:21
anytime I decide to hop in a new car, I use Jussi's suspension calculator to see how out of whack the dampers are. Every car I've tuned with it has turned to gold.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54023-Project-CARS-2-Suspension-Calculator-v0-96

Fight-Test
08-11-2017, 17:38
@Fight-Test I will give it a run, thank you, but keep in mind that fast for you does not mean it's fast for every driver.

I absolutely agree but this is basically a base to fix the issues similar to what you mentioned. Its not for a specific track but just to give it a more stable platform. You will still need to fine tune the rest of car but his is a great base for starting. I know he uses Jussis suspension calculator also so should be within proper limits.

NutieNastya
09-11-2017, 09:00
Reb trans 1070/1960
Did you mean to say negative or positive values for these two? Asking since they're negative by default.

NutieNastya
12-11-2017, 14:31
I got an update on all this, it could be that this was my fault - My FFB seemed to be inverted, I mean that my wheel got lighter when the rearend was loosing traction.. I corrected that and now the said cars feel better. I dont know, but I wonder why I didnt notice that earlier.