PDA

View Full Version : McLaren 720s

jimortality
08-11-2017, 13:47
I watch the youtube video with the guy who is head of testing at McLaren and his final thoughts on the handling so I thought I'll try that one next If I can tear myself away GT1 merc thingy. So, I drive out the pits and when I put my foot down, the front end just goes and I'm in the barrier! I think "Hang on, Mr Top test driver didn't do this" so I tried again and I was starting to get used to it a little but I'm not comfortable with it. I downloaded a set up and it didn't really help so I'm looking for some help on how to tame this particular vehicle cheers.

up4speed
08-11-2017, 14:42
I think the car is just insanely fast and you have to learn to respect the throttle! Once you get the hang of it and modulate the throttle better, the car is very fast! Think of it as in real life, you do not use the throttle as an on and off switch. The LaFerrari is also similar to that if I remember correctly. They are both ridiculously fast cars. The one I enjoy the most is the Enzo because it is fast, but very easy to drive fast and aggressive. You can really get the feel for the car.

Mahjik
08-11-2017, 15:11
Are you driving with or without authentic assists?

balderz002
08-11-2017, 15:17
Shouldnt this be in The Garage rather than General Discussion?

I havent managed to get on with the F1 GTR this time around. Infact, so far the only GT1 I am happy with is the Panoz (both sound and driving) - All the others treat me like the idiot I am!

JohnSchoonsBeard
08-11-2017, 15:36
I've had the same. Takes a bit for tyres to warm up? Then it's a joy. Which tyres are you using?

FuriousDemon
08-11-2017, 15:49
Use authentic assists and respect the throttle, like others have said. It's fun, but with a bit of help from our digital friends :)

jimortality
08-11-2017, 16:21
Using authentic but when I checked the tires, it was very different selection to any other cars I've driven. It's a lovely car in straight line lol

rosko
08-11-2017, 18:34
Car is bonkers but i would not advise TC SC. Make sure tires are warm & watch out for lag in 3rd gear. OEM setup is best imo.

ironman
08-11-2017, 19:12
I watch the youtube video with the guy who is head of testing at McLaren and his final thoughts on the handling so I thought I'll try that one next If I can tear myself away GT1 merc thingy. So, I drive out the pits and when I put my foot down, the front end just goes and I'm in the barrier! I think "Hang on, Mr Top test driver didn't do this" so I tried again and I was starting to get used to it a little but I'm not comfortable with it. I downloaded a set up and it didn't really help so I'm looking for some help on how to tame this particular vehicle cheers.

Hi,
on my rig the 720S is by far the most fun to drive: i really enjoy it very much and can control the car quite well, catching slides most of times when they occur, without any assistence (no I am not a particularly skilled sim driver......:-)...)
So IMHO your issue could be related with controllers setup.... (like you I owned a T300/T3PApro and I can' t complain, now I use a TS-Pc and it' s quite similar so....) for sure one must be gentle with throttle and wheel and you must try to transfer the most power to terrain when you are straight line, but when you have understood how the car reacts then it comes the fun.... (hey, sorry for my english............)

Nathan Bell
08-11-2017, 19:17

Try not putting the foot to the floor as soon as you leave the pits. Go partial-throttle until you get the feel of the car, it's quite powerful.

jimortality
08-11-2017, 20:18
Thanks all, looks like the throttle control is key until I can get used to it.

Roger Prynne
08-11-2017, 20:25
Also are you using 'Authentic Assists'?

jimortality
08-11-2017, 20:27
Also are you using 'Authentic Assists'?

Yes I am

hkraft300
08-11-2017, 21:22
Fancy your skills don’t you, if you’re comparing your driving to McLaren’s chief test driver ;)

jimortality
08-11-2017, 21:28
Fancy your skills don’t you, if you’re comparing your driving to McLaren’s chief test driver ;)

Hey! you gotta aim high lol

sp3ctor
09-11-2017, 01:33
I haven’t driven an actual 720 (yet), but I do have a bit of experience in the 650s and I can tell you that you do have to roll into the throttle if the tires are cold. There is nothing quite as terrifying as dropping the hammer on the entrance ramp to a highway and having the back end start to slide until you get off the throttle and let the car settle itself. It’s a real eye opener. That said, the 720 seems a little too skittish to me based on my experience in the 650s... but I *do not* fancy myself a test driver or a racer.

NutieNastya
09-11-2017, 06:51
I acutally had the same problem as OP since it really felt loose, but with warm tires and smooth driving it's reasonable. You shouldn't expect it to handle like a GT3 car or similar. You will really feel how good a GT3 handles if you start your "driving session" with a roadcar and get used to it. After that get in the GT3 and it will blow your mind ^~^ I think it has a lot to do with the psychological standpoint, same principle as if you would go from FX to some GT car.

jimortality
09-11-2017, 10:20
I think I'm getting it! I was trying to drive it like a GT3 car but I made some improvements last night so it's promising. Can't do a full lap yet lol (Stop laughing, it's not funny:D)

NutieNastya
09-11-2017, 20:08
Btw, about this car, does anyone know if I can 'flip' out the full lcd of the car out as it is shown in this video? https://youtu.be/mhTQ22cHrYQ?t=146

eracerhead
09-11-2017, 22:01
No; it is permanently in Race mode.

JohnSchoonsBeard
09-11-2017, 22:06
Btw, about this car, does anyone know if I can 'flip' out the full lcd of the car out as it is shown in this video? https://youtu.be/mhTQ22cHrYQ?t=146

No; it is permanently in Race mode.

Bet it doesn't work with Crew Chief and RS Dash though ;)

hkraft300
10-11-2017, 12:35
I think I'm getting it! I was trying to drive it like a GT3 car but I made some improvements last night so it's promising. Can't do a full lap yet lol (Stop laughing, it's not funny:D)

I get in these super cars that have >200 hp over GT3 cars, and I forget they have half the tires and brakes and bugger all aero. Then arrive at the 1st corner hard on the brakes but Car says NOPE and straight into the wall.

Btw the 720 should have an Open diff that gets controlled by the TC, no? Is it the same in the game or has Jussi and co worked some active diff voodoo trickery in the setup?

Mahjik
10-11-2017, 13:09
Btw the 720 should have an Open diff that gets controlled by the TC, no? Is it the same in the game or has Jussi and co worked some active diff voodoo trickery in the setup?

There is some trickery done to attempt to replicate the advanced features of the 720s. I've never driven a real one, but the 720s is one of my favorite street cars in PC2.

sp3ctor
10-11-2017, 16:38

If I had to bet, Iím going to guess that this will be the first thing to break on new 720s. :rolleyes: