PDA

View Full Version : How does Accelerated Tire Wear work?

Javaniceday
08-11-2017, 23:47
In pCARS1 you had a ton of options, x2, x3, x5, etc for tire wear. For pCARS2 now it's just one option - accelerated. I don't know for sure how the code works - if the developers set up each class of car to handle accelerated tire wear differently and efficiently - instead of fiddling with how much tire wear to use for each class (x5 might have been too much for FA, while it worked awesome for GroupA), now it just works across the board and is well balanced? Is it somehow related to session length, or time progression?

I did a 1-hour multi-class race with LMP1 and GT3s with accelerated tire wear, and the LMP1s pitted twice, while the GT3s pitted once. Just like I had to. Don't know if the LMP1s pitted due to tire wear or fuel (I was on the GT3s), but hafl-way through I sure needed new tires, and so did the other GT3s. This was really encouraging - in pCARS1, the AI wouldn't know when to pit with different tire wear settings (they'd blow their tires and drive on their rims!). In pCARS2, it was really cool to see them pitting as they should.

Anyway, does anyone know how this Tire Wear Acceleration works?

TexasTyme214
09-11-2017, 00:04
I heard it's twice as fast as real wear.

Herege
09-11-2017, 01:57
Do I just think that this option should cease to exist? Whether it's long runs or short runs, real-time wear makes more sense. Like in the real world :)

kevin kirk
09-11-2017, 06:38
All I run is HARD tires and for tires alone ( I had fuel off for tire testing) gt and lmp cars pit in a window of around 45 minutes into a race on excellerated. Normal wear is a window of around 1 hour 30 minutes. The thing is when setting up a race and since it takes 5 or ten minutes for all the cars to do a pit cycle (I race with 30 cars on the grid). You have to make sure that the race doesnt ends during the window of when the AI are programmed to think they need to pit. Then you wont have cars pitting on the last couple of laps making them do one more pitt stop than you did ruining the race. With one hour races i just use excellerated tire wear. I will pit at the 30 minute mark and all the car will have enough time do one stop like you did.

F1Aussie
09-11-2017, 10:27
I find it a little disappointing that the accelerated tyre wear option is very limited. If it has to be this way then I would like the option to be able to choose a number of multiple mandatory pit stops.

hkraft300
09-11-2017, 11:15
Do I just think that this option should cease to exist? :)

Accelerated wear helps with tuning and testing.
For example, instead of having to do a 1 hour test stint to check tire wear, you can 2x that and find out in half the time :) also, in half the time you can find out how the car behaves when it's worn and work out your pit window :)
I used to test at 4x on pc1. So instead of having to run 40 laps I'd run 10.

I find it a little disappointing that the accelerated tyre wear option is very limited.

Ye it was fun with 4x or higher tire wear, but apparently the tire model gets a bit wonky so they limited it to 2x.

Herege
11-11-2017, 16:54
Accelerated wear helps with tuning and testing.
For example, instead of having to do a 1 hour test stint to check tire wear, you can 2x that and find out in half the time :) also, in half the time you can find out how the car behaves when it's worn and work out your pit window :)
I used to test at 4x on pc1. So instead of having to run 40 laps I'd run 10.

True! Thanks

But when I see some servers with accelareted wear ON for races, I do not go ;) It would be more advisable to have this option excluded in the online settings, and to be used only in singlepayer or in test.

Wayne Kerr
11-11-2017, 20:22
True! Thanks

But when I see some servers with accelareted wear ON for races, I do not go ;) It would be more advisable to have this option excluded in the online settings, and to be used only in singlepayer or in test.

for simulated endurance races, this option is a must. otherwise it's boring af

GenBrien
11-11-2017, 22:22
did 2h @Lemans with soft in GTE and front wer enot even 1/2 worn with accelerated