PDA

View Full Version : To Tune or not to Tune, that is the question?

weerufus
11-11-2017, 08:25
Just wondering who tunes their cars & who drives them standard.

At the moment I am not tuning anything at all, I do want to get into tuning settings, I have read up on a lot of things since game launch(and throughout PC1 too) to get a better understanding of tuning set-ups, I have made & printed off numerous tables with all the parameters & I have noted down tuning set ups posted in The Garage.

However, I don't want to just copy somebodys tune & apply it to my car, it might not be suited to my driving style & skill level anyway, I would rather learn how to tune, understand all(at least the main ones) parameters & how they will affect the car, then eventually I will jump in & start tuning my own car, my way, for me. I feel eventually that will make the game much more immersive, enjoyable & satisfying in the long.

From advice on this forum I have just purchased Michael Krumm's "Driving on the Edge" book which initially looks like it will be really good for advancing my basic understanding of car control (in game I am certainly not the fastest but not the slowest either - I'm in low 1.49's around Monza in the Ferrari 488GTE for example)

I do tend to pick cars which have been mentioned on the forum as having good standard setups - such as the 488, any other suggestions for good cars to drive standard(or ones to avoid)

p.s. - just received my Xbox One X yesterday, all set up with updates through the day & got few laps in at night one the Mrs & kids were in bed love it already! :D

DarrenM
11-11-2017, 08:48
I'm normally a compulsive tweaker but I've stopped doing any more than fuel load until they fix setup saving (PC). It's just annoying to have to "save new setup" every time.

It takes 9 clicks to save at the moment. Ridiculous. Why on earth do I have to click continue 3 times in a row?

Click Save
Click Save New slot
Click All Tracks
Click Slot
Click OK for overwrite
Click continue (just moves focus away from the text field. Why?)
Click continue
Click continue (a popup button that says nothing other than Continue. Utterly pointless)
Click back

Should be at most 2 clicks when tweaking an existing setup:
Save
Back

davidt33
11-11-2017, 09:33
I'm with DarrenM on this.

Plus what about double-checking all the time to see if the saved setup sticks? That also take a couple more rounds of clicks.

RoccoTTS
11-11-2017, 09:40
I wish it would work like AC. You can change your setup and try it without saving, change something and test it again and finally when you're happy save it. In PC2 you have to save it every time, otherwise you can't use it.

hiro17
11-11-2017, 09:55
I agree - I am new to Project Cars (on PC) and the setup saving is too cumbersome - ideally changes should not be saved until you are happy with them, and then saved very simply - not to tune I do except change fuel & tyres

wadafaka
11-11-2017, 12:12
And also, why can't I just change something in the setup WITHOUT saving it to a slot and overwriting something or giving it a name, I just want to apply it for this race only!

JasonB
11-11-2017, 12:46
Agree with Darren - there are a number of core frustrations regarding tuning. I still do it because you can get more out of the cars from the default setup, but addressing the following issues would make things a lot more predictable and convenient:

- Fix setup file I/O issues (did it save? did it load?)
- Steps to save: 9, as Darren stated. Ugh.
- Tires not coming up to temp: makes optimizing grip almost impossible, and makes racing unpredictable (since races start with your tires up to temp)
- AI races by different physics constraints: makes it extremely difficult to determine if you're slow around a sweeper because of your driving, your setup, or because of AI superpowers (word is this is addressed in upcoming patch, and I totally get that our systems can't handle applying full physics to all AI cars on the track)

Regarding setup saving, I get that bugs happen (I'm a software developer and deal with them all the time, too), and that sometimes a UX doesn't come across as intended. But how this slipped through the cracks (and survived multiple patches since release) is kind of a head-scratcher. That said, I've been guilty of my own head-scratchers, too. Trust me: it's far more frustrating to SMS than it is to us.

I wish it would work like AC. You can change your setup and try it without saving, change something and test it again and finally when you're happy save it. In PC2 you have to save it every time, otherwise you can't use it.

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. In fact when I first started playing PCars2, I was constantly trying to figure out how to use my setup changes without having to create a save. It took me a while to realize that wasn't even an option. Also a head-scratcher.

Atak Kat
11-11-2017, 12:57
And personally I would really like if there could be some sort of way that you could understand your settings. If they were on the minimum or maximum of the range. I understand that the setups are very technical. But, it's a game. And for me it's obvious that we need at least some sort of graphic to understand the settings better.

Related post by me linked here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?56653-An-idea-to-make-the-setup-screens-better).

SolitarySandpiper
11-11-2017, 12:59
Just wondering who tunes their cars & who drives them standard.

At the moment I am not tuning anything at all, I do want to get into tuning settings, I have read up on a lot of things since game launch(and throughout PC1 too) to get a better understanding of tuning set-ups, I have made & printed off numerous tables with all the parameters & I have noted down tuning set ups posted in The Garage.

However, I don't want to just copy somebodys tune & apply it to my car, it might not be suited to my driving style & skill level anyway, I would rather learn how to tune, understand all(at least the main ones) parameters & how they will affect the car, then eventually I will jump in & start tuning my own car, my way, for me. I feel eventually that will make the game much more immersive, enjoyable & satisfying in the long.

From advice on this forum I have just purchased Michael Krumm's "Driving on the Edge" book which initially looks like it will be really good for advancing my basic understanding of car control (in game I am certainly not the fastest but not the slowest either - I'm in low 1.49's around Monza in the Ferrari 488GTE for example)

I do tend to pick cars which have been mentioned on the forum as having good standard setups - such as the 488, any other suggestions for good cars to drive standard(or ones to avoid)

p.s. - just received my Xbox One X yesterday, all set up with updates through the day & got few laps in at night one the Mrs & kids were in bed love it already! :D

i think if you are doing low 1.49's at Monza in the Ferrari 488GTE you do indeed need to start learning how to tune to eke out them last couple of tenths to get you into the 1.48's :victorious:

JasonB
11-11-2017, 13:02
And personally I would really like if there could be some sort of way that you could understand your settings. If they were on the minimum or maximum of the range. I understand that the setups are very technical. But, it's a game. And for me it's obvious that we need at least some sort of graphic to understand the settings better.

Related post by me linked here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?56653-An-idea-to-make-the-setup-screens-better).

I think they've done an excellent job with the tips off to the right for most of the settings, but I do agree that there's always progress that could be made, and the post you linked to is a great example. Some settings (such as tire pressures) are missing a degree of context, particularly as you switch from Slicks to Wet, etc.

ProCorvette73
11-11-2017, 13:57
When I race with my friends doing GT3 , I typically place top 3 as I have multiple hours of tuning into my Porsche GT3. It is different for everybody, but I am an extremely aggressive driver so I need my car setup to handle that.

lmntr
11-11-2017, 14:11
I missed the garage option as in the PCars1 where it allowed me to tinker with the setups without being forced to enter a track just to see them.

davidt33
11-11-2017, 14:41
Next thing too is the name field for setup name is much much too short. Needs to be able to accommodate more characters. By the time you enter just a few characters you're out of space. Hope they increase that.

ThatJordGuy
12-11-2017, 09:52
And hopefully it will automatically pick up the track location and overwrite the existing track description, when you load an existing setup from another track (and don't change the default description) and save it for a new track

belaki
12-11-2017, 13:35
Shouldn't this be on an XB/PS board? None of the aforementioned setup persistence issues exist on PC.

Not perfect yet, and the size of the Name element is still too short, but as it stands you can rapidly and reliably make changes. Kudos to the dev team for their continued work on this.

hkraft300
12-11-2017, 15:03
Tune.
Ferrari 333SP is a pig on default.

Ravager619
12-11-2017, 16:06
Tune

I drive with no assist and I use the SMS Loose setups as a starting point.