PDA

View Full Version : Best method to decrease tire temp.

ELAhrairah
12-11-2017, 20:22
Struggeling with front left tire temp on Watkins Glenn in the Formula Renault. Heats up about 20% more than front right tire.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Visceral_Syn
12-11-2017, 21:07
Increase pressure in the offending tire

ELAhrairah
12-11-2017, 21:40
Tried that yes... Did not help much.. Just a little.

sbtm
12-11-2017, 21:52
what compound are you using?

hkraft300
13-11-2017, 00:33
You could reduce pre-load and increase accel lock for some throttle steer.
Increase rear swaybar... it's really the right sweeper after the bus stop chicanes that really kill the FL tire.

Changing your approach/line on race day will net the best results.

ELAhrairah
13-11-2017, 16:26
You could reduce pre-load and increase accel lock for some throttle steer.
Increase rear swaybar... it's really the right sweeper after the bus stop chicanes that really kill the FL tire.

Changing your approach/line on race day will net the best results.

That right corner after the chicane is indeed the reason. I drive on Slicks @sbtm

Thx for the advise, I will try and see.

RomKnight
14-11-2017, 16:04
You'll still have to be cautious no matter what in some cases. Barcelona will just kill you FL as well so you have to live with it and try to minimise the "damage" as much as possible.

Sometimes we do need to compromise. Taking care of the tyres while still being fast is an art in itself :)

DECATUR PLAYA
15-11-2017, 19:15
That right corner after the chicane is indeed the reason. I drive on Slicks @sbtm

Thx for the advise, I will try and see.

You can save the tire a little bit with some driving technique depending on the situation.

If leading or running in a good position you can let off a little bit and not push so hard through the sweeper.

If your chasing it's harder to let off and save the tire.

If your qualifying try saving the tire for a few laps and then try to push hard through the sweeper for one or two fast laps.

Drizute
16-11-2017, 20:27
Temperature OR Pressure or BOTH?
Temperature - Inside Middle or Outside temps ?
If the necessary suspension and damper settings, or driving aggressiveness cannot adjust it, OPEN your brake ducts to reduce temp increase.

Pressure.. lowering temp will lower pressure, but start on a lower pressure if it gets above 26psi for GT3 AFTER driving 5 laps (Nurburgring/Le Mans 2 laps)

2c