PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing through corners

z3r0cool77
13-11-2017, 01:00
Having trouble in long high speed corners where the weight transfers to the rear corner wheel then starts bouncing back and forth as traction starts to break. I’ve tried roll bar adjustments to no real avail. I figure its got to be a damper issue but I’m not sure where to start.

Driving the BMW M1 @ catalunya. The big right hander, turn 3, is where its the worst.

Edit: think I figured out that the springs were too hard in relation to the dampeners. Turning the springs down seems to have dialed it out. Now just trying to balance it so that I’m not understeering in the slow corners and oversteering on the fast ones.

blinkngone
13-11-2017, 01:56
Hi z3r0cool77. Few people running this combo at Catalunya on PC. The quickest is still default. The few tuned setups are not changing the dampers. Only springs, some minus from default some plus. Same for roll bars, some decrease front roll bar. They are running default stable LSD (50/50).

z3r0cool77
13-11-2017, 02:50
Thanks for that screen grab. I really wish they could make leader boards viewable on the web or something externally from the game. At my current times I would be #2 on that leaderboard so at least I know ai at 81% is pretty darn fast. I’m only half a second or so ahead of them.

Guessing that that doesnt specify if its the default loose or stable setup that they are using.

Ofc it would be great if we could sort leaderboards by car on xbox but thats not gonna happen.

Since career is kinda borked on xbox right now I’ve chosen the M1 and I’m going through the tracks from top down. Skipping road coarses though because they just really are a pain in the rear to learn and run proper races on. The M1 is a fun car to drive. Under power its quite easy to control but down shifting at the wrong time will send you spinning off track.

wcujer80
13-11-2017, 03:35
I really wish they could make leader boards viewable on the web or something externally from the game.

Like this?

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard

I use this to check my sector times against other racers so I can see what sectors I'm losing the most time in.

Motor City Hamilton
13-11-2017, 04:32
Having trouble in long high speed corners where the weight transfers to the rear corner wheel then starts bouncing back and forth as traction starts to break. I’ve tried roll bar adjustments to no real avail. I figure its got to be a damper issue but I’m not sure where to start.

Driving the BMW M1 @ catalunya. The big right hander, turn 3, is where its the worst.

Edit: think I figured out that the springs were too hard in relation to the dampeners. Turning the springs down seems to have dialed it out. Now just trying to balance it so that I’m not understeering in the slow corners and oversteering on the fast ones.

Can you further diagnose the issue by watching replays? Is the car itself bouncing (would indicate dampers are too hard) or is it just the wheels moving up and down rapidly (would indicate dampers are too soft)?

z3r0cool77
13-11-2017, 05:15
Like this?

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard

I use this to check my sector times against other racers so I can see what sectors I'm losing the most time in.

Thank you so much. had mentioned it in another thread before and no one mentioned the existence of this site. :yes:

z3r0cool77
13-11-2017, 05:19
Can you further diagnose the issue by watching replays? Is the car itself bouncing (would indicate dampers are too hard) or is it just the wheels moving up and down rapidly (would indicate dampers are too soft)?

Was happening on flat surfaces during cornering, entire body of car bouncing between the outside rear wheel and the inside front wheel. Occasionally it would result in lost of control. From cockpit view it looks like I'm bouncing on hydraulics in a 64 impala. :cool: I'm fairly positive it was the springs set too hard and they were overpowering the dampeners. As soon as I turned the springs down it mostly went away.

Racefancy
13-11-2017, 08:26
Sounds like you say, springs too hard and the dampers set too soft to control them properly. You should use the suspension calculator from the sticky thread which will tell you where to set your dampers based on spring choice.

hkraft300
13-11-2017, 09:13

In either scenario, if the springs continue to oscillate (body or wheels) indicates they are under damped / dampers too "soft" for the chosen spring rate.

If the car is oscillating at a different phases front/rear (the odd rocking OP is hinting at) means the springs are oscillating but at different phase/frequency. Either way, they are under damped.

Jussi's suspension calculator is an excellent spreadsheet tool to work out correct damping as well as balanced spring rates to avoid this situation.

z3r0cool77
13-11-2017, 13:11
I play on xbox so going to sit down on pc w a suspension calculator is a bit of a pain. That and last time I looked at one (not sure if it was the same one mentioned) I had no idea what to do with it. All it said was something about keeping between lines on a graph but just fooling around with it came up wacky setups.

Just looked at it again and it was the one mentioned. It seems way over complicated. I’d rather just know what each setting effects and go on feel.

VelvetTorpedo
13-11-2017, 18:44
I found this, hopefully it helps. Casey Ringley liked both posts so I assume he approves of the generalization :).

In a nutshell, the fast bump/rebound controls the springs response from the track. the slow bump/rebound controls the springs response from driver input.

And the transition force changes when it happens :P

Motor City Hamilton
13-11-2017, 19:20
"In a nutshell, the fast bump/rebound controls the springs response from the track. the slow bump/rebound controls the springs response from driver input."

This statement is mostly accurate. Slow bump/rebound has an effect on track too. Slow bump does most of the work and manages weight transfer on relatively smooth surfaces. Fast bump/rebound kicks in when a large bump or curb or dropping a wheel into the grass occurs.

hkraft300
13-11-2017, 21:23
"In a nutshell, the fast bump/rebound controls the springs response from the track. the slow bump/rebound controls the springs response from driver input."

This statement is mostly accurate. Slow bump/rebound has an effect on track too. Slow bump does most of the work and manages weight transfer on relatively smooth surfaces. Fast bump/rebound kicks in when a large bump or curb or dropping a wheel into the grass occurs.

Depends on where you have the transition set.