PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel: What is the optimal value of degrees for pcars 2?

Herege
16-11-2017, 23:01
I try to know how many degrees of rotation you use in your steering wheel. So far I have been using the G25 on PC for a long time with 900 degrees but it has not been an easy task to satisfy the most cars collection in the game. I would like a more comprehensive idea of what degrees you use on your wheel. 9oo degrees it is necessary to give a lot of turns to the steering wheel, and that in most cars it becomes unrealistic especially in tight corners and of moderate to slow speeds.

Cheers

resmania
16-11-2017, 23:06
1080 or 900 degrees depending on your wheel max value.
The game has softlock by default so you don't need to worry about it at all

w0rthy
16-11-2017, 23:34
I always use 360 degrees or less.

bradleyland
16-11-2017, 23:41
The degrees of rotation for a given wheel only determines the maximum degrees of rotation the wheel is capable of. Every car is different. Most (road) sports cars are 2.5 turns to lock, which is 900 of rotation. Race cars are frequently less. Some vintage cars use more.

"Optimal" depends upon what kind of cars you want to simulate, and whether the game supports it. If you race primarily GT3, there's no reason to buy a wheel with more than 900 of rotation. If you enjoy vintage cars, you'll want more. If your favorite simulator only supports 900, then you might not need more.

hkraft300
16-11-2017, 23:45
... 9oo degrees it is necessary to give a lot of turns to the steering wheel, and that in most cars it becomes unrealistic especially in tight corners and of moderate to slow speeds.

Cheers

When you calibrate, use maximum degrees of rotation.

Then, to reduce that on a per-car basis, adjust steering ratio in car setup.

I use about 12:1 on GT and prototypes.

Alan Dallas
17-11-2017, 00:10
Adjust Steering ratio of each car to suit your taste after you've calibrated your wheel for it's maximum.
Ratio determines how many turns of the wheel it takes to go Lock to lock.
Lower ratio's make steering quicker(fewer turns lock to lock) while higher ratio's slow the steering down(more turns lock to lock) essentially.

Herege
17-11-2017, 02:41
Thank you all for the feedback. I will keep in the 900's, although where I feel the greatest lack of correcting the rotation is in F1 cars or similar. I will try to improve this situation on an individual basis.

pa_pinkelman
17-11-2017, 10:16
Thank you all for the feedback. I will keep in the 900's, although where I feel the greatest lack of correcting the rotation is in F1 cars or similar. I will try to improve this situation on an individual basis.

Like someone stated before: PC2 uses soft lock which should set the rotation angle automatically for each car. For example the F1 car (formula A) shoud be set to 360 degrees (or even less??) automatically by the game. No need for the user to change anything. What wheel do you use?

Herege
17-11-2017, 15:04
Like someone stated before: PC2 uses soft lock which should set the rotation angle automatically for each car. For example the F1 car (formula A) shoud be set to 360 degrees (or even less??) automatically by the game. No need for the user to change anything. What wheel do you use?

I use Logitech G25 my faithful steering wheel that has thousands of kms and never gave a problem, but two days ago I used 200 in formula A and it was very good, and then in other more civilized cars, regardless of the category I did not like the experience.

MaXyM
17-11-2017, 16:28
as guys above said, set steering wheel to max in drivers, don't forget to select 'allow game to change rotation', and then allow game to set the rotation range for you. Use car setups to modify the range to your needs

Mad Al
17-11-2017, 16:29

Mahjik
17-11-2017, 17:06
I use Logitech G25 my faithful steering wheel that has thousands of kms and never gave a problem, but two days ago I used 200 in formula A and it was very good, and then in other more civilized cars, regardless of the category I did not like the experience.

If you use anything lower than the car's desired steering lock, it will scale the steering rotation (i.e. it will not be 1:1). This is why it's best to set your wheels maximum steering lock, and then allow Project CARS to do it's thing on a per car basis.

Herege
17-11-2017, 19:27
If you use anything lower than the car's desired steering lock, it will scale the steering rotation (i.e. it will not be 1:1). This is why it's best to set your wheels maximum steering lock, and then allow Project CARS to do it's thing on a per car basis.

Yes, is what I do. Keep the 900 on the wheel profiler, and let the game adjust by itself.

RU486
17-11-2017, 21:08
as guys above said, set steering wheel to max in drivers, don't forget to select 'allow game to change rotation', and then allow game to set the rotation range for you. Use car setups to modify the range to your needs

Hi, where do I find / check this setting. I always use 900 deg, on my wheel and in game. But never notice a option to allow " change rotation "

RU

Roger Prynne
17-11-2017, 21:12
I think he meant 'Allow Game to Change Settings' in the Profiler.

RU486
17-11-2017, 21:19
Ty Rodger,

Excuse by bad (dump), I'll have another look later today...

I finding I'm getting what I assume is way to much rotation in open wheelers, by about 1:3 ratio, the on screen wheel rotates about 25-30 deg, and I turn my wheel about 90 deg.

Will investigate

RU

hkraft300
17-11-2017, 22:22
^ incorrect calibration or steering sensitivity?

RU486
19-11-2017, 03:14
^ incorrect calibration or steering sensitivity?

below my setting:
Steering Range = 100 (full lock)
Steering lock = 900 (90deg)

Steering Deadzone = 1
Steering Sensitivity = 50 (default, never altered)

I must admit I a little lost with the Steering sensitivity thing.

Quote from the manual:
Sensitivity is a factor defining the relationship between your physical inputs, and your car’s response to those inputs. Starting with a value of 50, you will begin to receive proportional response from your inputs. Lowering the value will weaken the car’s reaction to your inputs in the first fractions of the button/wheel range, but that will increase at the top end of the range considerably, so that the controller and your car get to the same maximum input. Having the sensitivity value above 50 will have the opposite effect, meaning increased car reactions at first, with the reaction slackening as you reach maximum input.

So, lowering this value will increase the initial rotation, ( more turning) and increasing the value will reduce the initial rotation of my wheel.
if I increase this value it will reduce the amount i need to turn the wheel initially?

Is this not what the "Steering Ratio" will do in effect, (per car). BTW, testing the Formula Renault, Ratio 10.0:1

If I want to reduce the amount I turn the wheel, I know to keep all the wheel and setting at 900deg. but do i adjust the steering sensitivity or the steering ratio of the car?

any suggestions appreciated :)...

Mahjik
19-11-2017, 03:20
Steering ratio...

RU486
19-11-2017, 03:25
Steering ratio...

ty for the reply,

Im assuming I would need to reduce the ratio down, i.e. 9.0:1 or lower to reduce the amount i need to turn the wheel

Alan Dallas
19-11-2017, 05:44
ty for the reply,

Im assuming I would need to reduce the ratio down, i.e. 9.0:1 or lower to reduce the amount i need to turn the wheel
Correct. As I posted on the previous page. Lower ratio's reduce the amount of turns needed to go from lock to lock.