PDA

View Full Version : Fun accidental discovery in VR for immersion.

Lawndarts
18-11-2017, 15:49
No matter how hard I try and pretend my HMD is a helmet it never works... likely as I have so much real time with a helmet on, so I canít fool myself. Then, as I was in a casual race in career mode last night it started to rain, and it was getting dark, i wanted to turn on the headlights, and I know I didnít map any buttons to my wheel so I decided to just start pushing them all in hopes that lights might be a default button.

Suddenly my view changes along with the audio, this must be the helmet view Iíve head about (and heard itís a performance killer in VR?) and suddenly my head starts playing tricks on me, I can feel the helmet, the restricted views to the dash, and bingo! My HMD feels and sounds real... my enjoyment shot up, lap times dropped, and I was a weekend warrior again!

I had no idea something so trivial would have such and effect but for anyone whoís done VR, youíve felt that glaring sun on your arms thatís not really there, and felt the temp drop as the clouds tole in. Give the helmet cam a go in VR, pretty awesome immersion and I assure you itís way more realistic... having to move your head to see down and youíll suddenly get why race cars have shift lights are high on the dash and rear view mirrors low on the windscreen. Itís forcing me to mimic the same head motions as real life, itís also minimizing that weird unforcusing that happens in VR when you move your eyes from center.

Oh, and I did find my headlights, it was default mapped to wheel button.

SunnySunday
18-11-2017, 16:00
Good stuff, unfortunately for me the helmet cam pushes me below 90fps and I refuse the use of reprojection. Even though I like the helmet cam it's not worth it for me.

repsol23
18-11-2017, 17:17
I dont have vr but i use helmet cam always. I have ridden sportbikes for nearly 15 years on a daily basis. I like the look and sound of the view!!

Lawndarts
18-11-2017, 21:03
Good stuff, unfortunately for me the helmet cam pushes me below 90fps and I refuse the use of reprojection. Even though I like the helmet cam it's not worth it for me.

I was too giddy to notice, but it’s really nothing more than a filter so I’d be curious what causes it. In fact, if it was properly implemented the viewable screen rendering could be reduced. I hope they do some optimizations. Due to league play in other games I’ve had to adapt to the reprojection :/ and I can’t get too much faster of a PC without lots of customization. I’m already OC to 4.4 with a 1080 GTX.

MaXyM
18-11-2017, 21:23

I have quite similar config to yours. I found that Async reprojection plays for me better than interleaved (You didn't mentioned which one you are using). And additionally I didn't noticed any significant drop (haven't measured it) with helmet view.
But indeed, I also found this view more immersive (regardless I have no problem to immerse the scene with non-helmet views)

SunnySunday
18-11-2017, 22:07
I have quite similar config to yours. I found that Async reprojection plays for me better than interleaved (You didn't mentioned which one you are using). And additionally I didn't noticed any significant drop (haven't measured it) with helmet view.
But indeed, I also found this view more immersive (regardless I have no problem to immerse the scene with non-helmet views)

Yes if I use reprojection, which I try my hardest not to, I use asyncronous reprojection. It works if you struggle to reach 90 fps, but it makes the game feel sluggish and wierd. Usually I don't use either async or interleaved but I have the "always on reprojection" option checked. I'm not quite sure what this does to be honest, but it makes the game run better for me. I'm also monitoring my fps with Rivatuner/afterburner which doesn't work in VR but if you lift your headset for a second you can see it on the monitor.

Lawndarts
18-11-2017, 23:32
Yeah, it’s on by default so it engages if you ever drop below 90 fps, because games are rarely consistent.

Purg
19-11-2017, 07:40
Just built a new rig with an 8700k. Previous was a 4790k that I was mostly getting 45fps and using ASW. Same settings I'm now getting 90fps when I've bothered to measure. I can't tell the difference between the two in pCars2.

Helmet cam for me is situational. Open wheel cars it adds a new level of immersion. Tin tops, I guess 30 years of driving a car without a helmet, it doesn't do anything for me. I did get the same sensation that I felt like I was driving with a helmet on as the weight of my rift then became noticeable. I normally tune it out within half a lap when using it, otherwise.