PDA

View Full Version : Are driving styles different with different games?

cbrown119
21-11-2017, 12:42
This might be an odd question, but....

If someone is used to playing a particular game and that game teaches (I think it does, anyway) to brake hard before entering a turn, then floor it on the way out for best results, does this apply to PCars2?

The reason why I ask is because I spin out A LOT using this theory. Do I have to "unlearn" this method. If so, what is the correct "real life" method?

I've been using the Focus RS on Snetterton....on a controller. BUT, I finally had a real good run with the Ginnetta! So maybe there's hope in my driving ability.

thanks

Zaskarspants
21-11-2017, 12:53
Brake before corner, accelerate ' gently' out of corner is where you start.

You certainly cannot 'floor it' but need to feed in the power progressively and gently to avoid unbalancing the car and or loosing grip.

As your skills improve you can brake into the corner, right up to the apex, then ease the throttle in through the exit.

Zaskarspants
21-11-2017, 12:54
Turning up the volume for the tyre squeel can give you better feedback at the edge of grip.

Zaskarspants
21-11-2017, 13:04
I also suggest loading the stable set up, you need to do this at the start of each race or session.

These setups iirc are for controller.

Driving methods do certainly vary between games. I remember trying to drive ' properly' in grid 2 and getting frustrated i was so slow, then I discovered it was faster to drift everywhere. That isn't the way as a rule in pcars2.

Sarcross
21-11-2017, 14:11
You may need to adjust your deadzones and sensitivities. At the default I was having too many low speed spins and would struggle greatly to string together a complete lap. After some adjustments then I could (generally) play the game like I've done with Project CARS, Forza 4 and 6, etc. At the same time you need to remember to account for how different the cars are. I feel like I have to tiptoe around in the FR 3.5 while I can throw the Super Trofeo into corners with reckless abandon. With one of the LMP3 cars I could attack slow traffic into braking zones with no problem but employing a similar technique in say the Formula X and I'd have issues.

cortextual
21-11-2017, 14:25
It is easier to lose the back end entering a corner in PC2 than some other sims/games, this becomes really apparent going downhill too, it's more important to come off the brake slightly and settle the car, as well as to turn in smoothly. These things are important considerations in real driving so perhaps that's a good thing. If you're struggling and don't want to turn on stability control try braking earlier and getting most or all of your braking done in a straight line, braking while cornering is called trail braking and can be pretty difficult as it's not possible to brake as much when some of the tyre's grip is being used to turn, you have to have a good feel for the grip.

There's some period mid-corner where you'll be maintaining the same speed, though this period might be very short it's important that the weight shifts smoothly, you don't want any sudden jolts that could unsettle the car and make it lose grip suddenly. Then accelerate gradually out of the corner as you open the steering and less grip is used for turning, making more available for accelerating. If you stamp on the throttle you will lose grip suddenly and then have to back off, losing you time (unless you're Ayrton Senna). Once you get faster you'll be able to feel the gradual loss of grip and use a tiny bit of oversteer to ensure you're right on the limit and even aid turn-in, but still it should be gentle and gradual so that it doesn't surprise you and make you spin out. Those separate phases are much more noticeable with soft suspension and everything becomes sharper and happens faster in cars with stiff race suspension. The center of gravity is lower and the suspension is more reactive, the car rolls less, but the same forces and rules of grip still apply.

Or you could just turn on traction control and accelerate hard if you want. Wont be as fast ultimately but it might be faster for you.

cbrown119
21-11-2017, 17:41
Good Points, all.

There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums - far exceeding mine. I find myself having to read and then re-read to get the gist of the "How to's". I think that I've been used to other-more forgiving games and perhaps, picked up some bad habits along the way.

I'd rather do it the right way and be slower, then to use artificial stability/traction controls. I guess that is where the FFB comes more into play where I have to actually "feel" how the car is handling-like driving in real life.