PDA

View Full Version : VR makes you a better driver

flowerdealer
22-11-2017, 17:06
I finally got into VR (got a Samsung Odyssey), and I'm really impressed in what difference it makes to driving. I'm currently running the Porsche Cayman Cup in career mode, and before getting my headset, I was constantly spinning out in curves and breaking late. But with VR, I can correctly judge distances and speed, and break accordingly. I can more accurately judge if I'm being too heavy on the throttle when accelerating, too. I rarely spin out anymore, unless I make legitimate mistakes, and I can avoid ramming into other cars much more consistently. It makes me wonder about a lot of the discussions here, about the handling being realistic, or not realistic, and which SimRacing game is the best. Up until VR, being a bad sim racer didn't necessarily mean that you are a bad driver in real life, because it is a completely different skillset. You have to make decisions based on incomplete cues, somewhat limited feedback, sounds (like tire squeals), etc, and having many technical limitations - maybe you can't run supersampling in your machine, so rendering at a distance (specially in PCars 2) is a jagged, blurry mess, which doesn't help when trying to make decisions based on distance. When people say they prefer the handling in another sim, many of the times it's just because they like (or understand) the incomplete cues that that particular sim gives them, more than the next one. But having 'stereoscopic' vision is on another level in terms of the visual feedback that you get, and the handling of each car instantly clicks in a way that is just not possible without VR. To be clear, in the grand scheme of things I still suck at racing, just like I would in real life, but I'm not constantly skidding and spinning out now, just like I don't in real life. Anyway, just a thought.

Keena
22-11-2017, 19:01
Looks like I'd better start saving..

Raklodder
22-11-2017, 19:06
You can get the Oculus for the price of a 144hz monitor, but I would recommend you buy a ViVE (already have one) mostly because of Valve's daily SteamVR software/firmware updates and quality sensors.

Mad Al
22-11-2017, 19:25
You can get the Oculus for the price of a 144hz monitor, but I would recommend you buy a ViVE (already have one) mostly because of Valve's daily SteamVR software/firmware updates and quality sensors.

Rift is fine and 2/3s the price of the Vive.. the new Mixed reality headsets are even cheaper and don't need any external sensors.... HP are doing theirs for 300 quid with a code for Friday.. which is silly money.. (if you happen to have 300 quid of course) - frankly if I didn't already have two rifts I'd get one..

Fight-Test
22-11-2017, 19:47

not for racing. I did alot of research on this before I bought and Vive wins hands down in almost every gaming category but 2. Sim racing and Sim Flight games. You should be able to find alot of info if you search around on why the Oculus is better for the fast moving games where you do longer distance viewing. You only need to put one sensor out also and it has a stand built in. If you gonna do alot of other stuff besides racing then the Vive wins. If its for primarily racing then go Oculus and save the money.

RomKnight
22-11-2017, 19:52
Yep, like I always said, immersion is well worth the lesser graphics. No way I'm getting back to 2D.

VR I'm much more consistent and faster. Somehow it's easier to get the most out of the car (to the best of my abilities that is).

I agree with OP.

snakehands
22-11-2017, 20:11
not for racing. I did alot of research on this before I bought and Vive wins hands down in almost every gaming category but 2. Sim racing and Sim Flight games. You should be able to find alot of info if you search around on why the Oculus is better for the fast moving games where you do longer distance viewing. You only need to put one sensor out also and it has a stand built in. If you gonna do alot of other stuff besides racing then the Vive wins. If its for primarily racing then go Oculus and save the money.

Totally agree.

DreamsKnight
22-11-2017, 20:19
just cause 95% of sim racers doesn't know nothing about a correct monitor position and a fov+pitch correct regulation. ;) :)

bporion
22-11-2017, 20:21
all of those devises can only be used from ' in car ' right not bonnet or hood ... ?

MrTulip
22-11-2017, 20:29
You can use VR mode in bonnet view too if you want. There just is not much need for that since you basically see what you'd see in real life in the cockpit. (I mean that the view out does not look like a cramped postbox slit view like in one flat screen setup.)

cluck
22-11-2017, 20:50
just cause 95% of sim racers doesn't know nothing about a correct monitor position and a fov+pitch correct regulation. ;) :)Oh how silly of me, I didn't realise that my single 2D monitor could physically rotate to the position I naturally want to look at (ie, through the corner) and allow me to feel 'depth', it must be because I had the wrong FOV configured :rolleyes:

VR allows me to drive naturally, in a manner that nothing, other than a complete wrap-around monitor, would allow me to do. I stopped worrying about the individual pixels that I knew were the points to start braking at, I started braking when I 'felt' the corner approaching, then intuitively looking through the corner to where I wanted to exit it and 'driving' the car there. Gone were the robotic "input x amount of steering and y amount of throttle, in came a far more natural fluidity.

Sure, triple monitors will get you some of the way there but when you want absolute immersion, the belief that you are right there in the cockpit, knowing comes close to the VR experience. I got my DK2 about 2 months after they launched and the only reason I'd ever get rid of it is if I was replacing it with a newer version. I simply will not go back to 2D driving.

VR isn't for everybody of course. Some people can't abide the relatively poor resolution and some can't stand the motion sickness they suffer. The latter of these is probably the hardest to get over, if you suffer from it.

pablito
22-11-2017, 20:51
ordered Oculus 1 hour ago, im so excited :D

Topsie
22-11-2017, 20:52
In VR, I'd see no reason to use any other view than cockpit. The feeling of being there is amazing and its hard to describe what it looks like in the headset if you've not tried it.

@Cluck...You're a bad man for talking me into it some months ago on TS...glad you did though!

Olijke Poffer
22-11-2017, 20:55
In VR, I'd see no reason to use any other view than cockpit. The feeling of being there is amazing and its hard to describe what it looks like in the headset if you've not tried it.

@Cluck...You're a bad man for talking me into it some months ago on TS...glad you did though!

That is the fun of VR. You can’t tell anybody how it feels. The only way a person can experience it, is by puting on a VR set and see and feel how it is.. I love it..

Leynad
22-11-2017, 21:05
Switching from a 55 inch 4k Samsung-display in front of my nose to the Oculus wasn't that much of a difference in terms of FOV, but for feeling the car it's a lot better. You just feel a bit more early when a car is on the brink to spin or spinning already. But for judging physics VR was the best apart from SimVibe. AC doesn't make sense for me even in VR. You get unbelievable understeer and oversteer in most cars and especially since VR it feels so wrong.

snakehands
22-11-2017, 21:15
That is the fun of VR. You can’t tell anybody how it feels. The only way a person can experience it, is by puting on a VR set and see and feel how it is.. I love it..

It’s like being in a real car. If you’ve ever sat in a car, that’s what it’s like.

beatrunner
22-11-2017, 22:27
even half-VR and tripplesetup (TrackIR) made me faster. just because you are able to look where you would IRL instead of a static view....

but VR for sure is the next step to go.

GenBrien
22-11-2017, 22:33
how is it after more than 1 hour for the eyes?
do you have problem focusing IRL?
It always bothered me and that's what's holding me back from buying 1

I've paid 3600$ to get my eyes corrected by laser, dont want to screw them :rolleyes:

RomKnight
22-11-2017, 22:43
just cause 95% of sim racers doesn't know nothing about a correct monitor position and a fov+pitch correct regulation. ;) :)

Then the "I can't see [euphemism here]" excuse comes to play :P :)

MaXyM
22-11-2017, 22:48

I've paid 3600$ to get my eyes corrected by laser, dont want to screw them :rolleyes:

It's really individual thing and may be different from person to person. It's like some has nausea while others haven't.
I can spend hours actually having completely no sickness (whatever I do) I know people who had to get used to it.
My girlfriend has laser-corrected eyes. She can spend several hours painting in TiltBrush without consequences. Obvious ones. Because nobody knows if it impacts us in some way or not.

GTsimms
22-11-2017, 22:59
To add to ^, don't put the car in reverse while looking sideways(like open cockpit) and slam on the brakes!

MaXyM
22-11-2017, 23:10
I have no problem with this ;)
But some my friends are not able to run even a few turns in D:R.

ImpliedConsent
22-11-2017, 23:18
It's really hard to explain how immersive VR is. It's helped my lap times for sure. It's help the faster classes as well, when I can really look left/right/behind (mirror and proximity sensors), avoiding contact or mishaps. I believe, with MS joining in with Mixed Reality/MR headsets, the headset technology will get better and better. Our cards can handle it now, with better headsets and the upcoming Nvidia Volta...who knows. Exciting. :D

Herege
22-11-2017, 23:24
I had the opportunity to play with VR in GT Sport, and I liked the emersion that it provides, and I think it's a matter of habit to be able to withdraw all the potency of driving with VR. I have never tried the VR on pcars2, which I think will be better for what I see, but I hope very briefly to do so.

Ryzza5
22-11-2017, 23:40
Little things like looking at the mirrors or turning your head a bit to check for an opponent next to you, or having your entire view go from dark to bright because someone caught up behind you at night is pretty incredible.

But for everyone who has just ordered VR, be sure to start on flat tracks first while you get used to it. Hills can make you queasy until your brain adapts.

beetes_juice
23-11-2017, 00:08
I have no problem with this ;)
But some my friends are not able to run even a few turns in D:R.

Have thousand of hours in VR and still can not get to grips with DR - only game to give me motion sickness. Def need to give it another run over the holiday.

GTsimms
23-11-2017, 00:15
Have thousand of hours in VR and still can not get to grips with DR - only game to give me motion sickness. Def need to give it another run over the holiday.

Just don't drink and drive VR!

ramm21
23-11-2017, 00:17
I've had a Rift for year and there's no way going back to screens, at least with racing games. The speed sensing and awareness on track goes up by a factor of 10 with VR. It definitely does make you a better driver, or at least improve your lap times and make you more consistent.

I have to say though- my eyesight has gotten worse during this past year. Im not sure whether its due to Rift (400 hours +/-50hours total the past year) or my job, I have to look at screens and handle radioactive materials, both of which aren't good for eyeballs. Either way, I'm 30 now and don't have to wear spectacles yet. When I do it will be a sad day, but whatever, your body breaks down over time and you can't do anything about it in a lot of cases.

Brado23
23-11-2017, 00:18
Just don't drink and drive VR!

That would be an interesting combination... I might have to try it LOL :D

(not online of course) :D

GTsimms
23-11-2017, 00:19
That would be an interesting combination... I might have to try it LOL :D

(not online of course) :D

Well, I cannot say, that I have not done this!

Purg
23-11-2017, 02:00
Sim racing and Sim Flight games.

Agreed. And that's what I use my Rift for 95+% of the time. ATW/ASW also helps greatly which appears to be superior to the SteamVR alternative. Touch appears to be better than the wands, but Vive seems to be the preferred option for room scale. My space is too small for room scale and I only bought Touch because it came with free shipping (would normally be $150) and have barely used it - impressive tech, though.

I've been racing games since there have been racing games on the PC. When I look at Indycar Racing today, it pales in comparison to my memory of it - I remember it looking amazing, but nostalgia is a hell of a thing. I've been reasonably competitive in slower class cars but I could never get a handle on faster or looser cars. I couldn't interpret problems I was seeing on a flat screen until it was way too late to correct. In VR, it feels so natural that a lot of the time a small correction happens instinctively - I've corrected the attitude of the car without even thinking about it because I'm now inside the car and I have a reference that I can 'feel'.

I'm amazed at the skill of some of the top tier sim racers. I've even tried triple screen, same problem as flat screen. Their ability to seemlessly convert a 2D representation and react instantly to it is a skill I've envied. Now I have a tool that I can use to do the same. :)

Olijke Poffer
23-11-2017, 06:02
To add to ^, don't put the car in reverse while looking sideways(like open cockpit) and slam on the brakes!

Indeed. That is the only time I feel somewhat uncomfortable with racing in VR.

Shepard2603
23-11-2017, 06:24
Well, I cannot say, that I have not done this!
cluck is doing this on a regular basis.

A bottle of whine + VR + PCARS2 = Insane lap times in TT with default setups most of the times.

;)

Gav88888
23-11-2017, 07:07

I suspect for most SIM racers the FOV is wrong because of limitations in there setup, this is where VR makes even more sense than it already does, shame it's not available on XB.

Mephisto_POA
25-11-2017, 09:45
Are you guys happy with microsoft mixed reality for PJ2 so far? I'm thinking about getting one headset in the UK but still not sure what model yet to get. Samsung is not available in Europe, so I'm thinking perhaps HP?

I literally want to build a new PC just for PJ2 and VR, so I want to ensure Mixed reality is the best thing out there due to the higher res displays. Perhaps a Rizen 8core or a core i7 8th gen 6cores with one or two 1080tis? Does mixed reality work with SLI? Would it actually be necessary as well to play high settings considering 2 screens of 1440x1440?

cluck
25-11-2017, 12:26
cluck is doing this on a regular basis.

A bottle of wine + VR + PCARS2 = Insane lap times in TT with default setups most of the times.

;)No comment :D

luv2drive
25-11-2017, 14:21
Damn, I've been thinking about making the VR investment, and you guys are totally selling me with this thread!!

Olijke Poffer
25-11-2017, 14:43
Damn, I've been thinking about making the VR investment, and you guys are totally selling me with this thread!!

Haha i felt the same m8. If you have the money..... Do not hesitate... VR is awesome.... It really is.. It can't be explained. You have to experience it yourself.

Olijke Poffer
25-11-2017, 14:43

Haha i felt the same m8. If you have the money..... Do not hesitate... VR is awesome.... It really is.. It can't be explained. You have to experience it yourself.

Yorke
25-11-2017, 14:50

I do take breaks and have felt a little fatigue during 20 minute or more races, I believe its from the head set (Oculus Rift) pressing against my face. I've been concerned and have noticed no problems from wearing it, I just make sure to take breaks. As far as the Nausea goes, you adjust and it goes away and I find beer helps settle the stomach. Tracks like Sonoma and Portomao are worse than others, but you do adjust.

I personally could not go back to a monitor, the immersion is so amazing, especially in the open wheel race cars. The screen door effect and graphics level is so secondary to me when you consider, you are in the freaking game. It's only going to get better and I cannot wait.

diesel97
25-11-2017, 16:55

PS4 VR and computer VR are not on the same playing field from everything I have read. I would do some homework not mention PC2 doesn't even have VR support for PS4

If your platform isn't PS4 like it says forget everything I just said LOL

luv2drive
25-11-2017, 17:17
PS4 VR and computer VR are not on the same playing field from everything I have read. I would do some homework not mention PC2 doesn't even have VR support for PS4

If your platform isn't PS4 like it says forget everything I just said LOL

It is, and I didn't realize that. So is VR only supported with PCars on PC?

Olijke Poffer
25-11-2017, 17:20
It is, and I didn't realize that. So is VR only supported with PCars on PC?

It is. The ps4 is just not powerful enhough to handle pcars in vr.

Purg
25-11-2017, 19:06
If Microsoft pulled their finger out and finally supported a VR platform on the X1X, I’m sure it would have the HP to do PC2 VR to a decent level.

Mascot
25-11-2017, 19:23
VR is a total game changer for sim racing. 2D feels a little... gamey after playing in VR. if the Pimax lives up to its promise then the increased pixel density and wider FoV will take things to the next level.
Nevertheless, 2x super sampling makes things very sharp in pCARS 2 with a Rift.

Yorke
25-11-2017, 19:42
VR is a total game changer for sim racing. 2D feels a little... gamey after playing in VR. if the Pimax lives up to its promise then the increased pixel density and wider FoV will take things to the next level.

Ya man! I am hoping the Pimax lives up to it's claims, if so I will be buying one pronto. How are you doing the super sampling?

Mephisto_POA
25-11-2017, 19:43

What kind of CPU/GPU to have this running?

Olijke Poffer
25-11-2017, 19:52

Yeah would love to know as well. Will 2x SS still give 90fps and if yes, which cpu & gpu combination.

Mascot
25-11-2017, 20:41
Ya man! I am hoping the Pimax lives up to it's claims, if so I will be buying one pronto. How are you doing the super sampling?

Yeah would love to know as well. Will 2x SS still give 90fps and if yes, which cpu & gpu combination.

I'm just using the in-game SS, and my specs are in my sig. I only rebought the game today so am still tweaking the settings but I'm happy to aim for a locked 45/ASW rather than aim for a native 90fps, as pCARS 2 seems to mesh with ASW very well. I can have a mixture of medium and high settings with 2x SS and low AA and maintain 45/ASW with 12-car grids in dry conditions. Not really tried it in the wet and/or at night, but I'm fully expecting to have to drop it down.

Chris Arnett
26-11-2017, 00:57
I have a hard time going back to the TV. Absolutely worth getting a VR setup. Just kind of wish that it could handle VR in the rain with 20+ cars. I can get away with light rain for a little bit but not a whole race.

Olijke Poffer
26-11-2017, 07:42
I have a hard time going back to the TV. Absolutely worth getting a VR setup. Just kind of wish that it could handle VR in the rain with 20+ cars. I can get away with light rain for a little bit but not a whole race.

recognizable... I had the same with VR and racing games. I always take bathurst as an example. In VR I love the track and I can race quick laps. (In GT Spots that is) After a day VR racing this track I went back the other day to Pcars2 and Bathurst just in 2D.. After 10 minutes I turned my PS off. I could not drive one single lap without slamming into a wall. The distance calculation of my brain can not handle the flat 2D screen anymore. I just needed a couple of hours to adapt again..

Think before you try VR because once tasted there is no turning back,

Mephisto_POA
26-11-2017, 09:22
I'm thinking now about getting the oculus rift in place of Microsoft MR after a lot of reports that it is still in very early stages with PC2, so maybe the resolution bump doesn't really overcome the bugs/problems

I just need to come to terms with a new rig to run it properly, just hear the new Volta cards from Nvidia should be announced on the 7th of January so that may be the card to get for VR as it seems even a 1080ti may struggle as it is now?

TorTorden
26-11-2017, 09:28
Well definitely wait for volta if you can.

But pcars2 runs rather fine on my 1080ti, I might not be maxing all settings but you can't really tell a difference between high and ultra in many cases either.

Performance is more of a problem with Elite dangerous. but that has to be the game.
it's the only thing left, no matter settings, get a few wingmen in your instance and you won't go over 45fps period.

sure you can off spacewarp but that honestly look worse.
The new rig does help a lot with how severe the spacewarp artefacts are as well.

Olijke Poffer
26-11-2017, 11:09
Well definitely wait for volta if you can.

But pcars2 runs rather fine on my 1080ti, I might not be maxing all settings but you can't really tell a difference between high and ultra in many cases either.

Performance is more of a problem with Elite dangerous. but that has to be the game.
it's the only thing left, no matter settings, get a few wingmen in your instance and you won't go over 45fps period.

sure you can off spacewarp but that honestly look worse.
The new rig does help a lot with how severe the spacewarp artefacts are as well.

Would love to see your settings in PCars and steam etc.. For use with VR. I've ordered a PC with the same specs as yours I see..

Francisnf
26-11-2017, 15:31
Playing project cars in Vr is the best experience I have had in computing ever. It's absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend getting a rift or vive enough.

I've been playing around with the recommended vr settings which are posted in the technical forum. I have found a sweet spot for my system (gtx1080, 6700k) with ss at 1.2, msaa at medium, high textures, ultra reflections, low environment map, medium track and cars, low particle and low density. I also run the post processing "on" with chroma and rays enabled, it looks awesome and runs lovely, mainly at 90fps with some drops for night and rain etc, which is fine as that is a rare race condition.

pa_pinkelman
26-11-2017, 16:19
50 year old simracer here. Been simracing on pc as long as I can remember. After a couple of years of gaming on consoles only I took the plunge and ordered a new pc and a rift last week. Racing in vr is like a dream come true!

Olijke Poffer
26-11-2017, 18:02
50 year old simracer here. Been simracing on pc as long as I can remember. After a couple of years of gaming on consoles only I took the plunge and ordered a new pc and a rift last week. Racing in vr is like a dream come true!
Same for me m8. Also 50 and ordered a high end pc rig and Rift last friday. We oldies will be happy....

Martinbooker
26-11-2017, 18:41
Console driver here atm but rift headset, i7 8700k and 1080ti arriving next week. To say I’m excited is an understatement and this thread is just whipping me up into a frenzy right now lol !

morpwr
26-11-2017, 22:49
Console driver here atm but rift headset, i7 8700k and 1080ti arriving next week. To say I’m excited is an understatement and this thread is just whipping me up into a frenzy right now lol !

Just finished the new build with a i7-8700k and a gtx1080ti oc on a maximus x mobo this week. You wont be disappointed!:D

luv2drive
27-11-2017, 18:55

Same for me m8. Also 50 and ordered a high end pc rig and Rift last friday. We oldies will be happy....

Just turned 50 a week ago, and you guys are seriously making me consider making the jump to PC and VR! Probably about a $1000 or so investment I guess, but somehow I get this feeling I'll be as amazed and impressed as you are

...oh hunny, I think I know what I want for XMAS :)

Olijke Poffer
27-11-2017, 19:34
Just turned 50 a week ago, and you guys are seriously making me consider making the jump to PC and VR! Probably about a $1000 or so investment I guess, but somehow I get this feeling I'll be as amazed and impressed as you are

Do not hesitate m8. If you can switch for 1000 dollar I would do it. I always loved PC gaming but could not keep up with the hardware updates at that time. I bought a Xbox and another and another an a couple of Playstations. Now I had the money to make the switch back to PC and VR..
although I paid a lot more than 1000dollar. I paid arround 2800 dollar.. :cower:

Go for it m8... it has a lot of advantages compared to console...

pablito
27-11-2017, 19:39
guys i just started my journey with Oculus and played my first game in VR...not pc2 yet...but REZ...holy jesus i almost cried...this is something...dunno...really big thing. best gaming expierience in my whole life for sure (im 40 in december)

i love VR from now :)

SchluckeWOT
27-11-2017, 23:10
Hey guys, new member to the forum and just bought PC2 over the weekend, but I needed to come one here and praise the hell out of this game (especially for its VR capabilities). I've only completed the Beginner karts and a couple Ginetta races in the career, but this series has got me hook, line and sinker and the VR is just incredible; I never thought I'd play a game as immersive as this. Being able to check your mirrors or make just enough room for the guy trying to make an overtake on your inside/outside is just crazy lol. The only thing that I struggle with a little is maintaining an acceptable frame rate that doesn't make me sick cause as soon as it start's chopping I usually have to take a break, but an 8gig card should take care of that issue for me.

I've been a long time Forza guy up to this point and after the last three Motorsport games left me a little unsatisfied I'm happy to switch gears and become a part of the PC2 community. Can't wait to muster up the bravery to start playing online :wink-new:

Fight-Test
27-11-2017, 23:40
Just as thought. Ian said a few days that overclocking too hard will cause timing issues and he recommended not doing that. Would that have anything to do with VR? I have a 1080 gtx and I7700 with no overclocking option and I can hold a solid 90 with pretty high settings most of the time (race starts). Early on alot of guys with more powerful systems were having issues while I have been smooth all along. They could have nothing to do with each other as I'm not sure what all the overclocking effects. Probably nothing to do with each other but just a thought.

pablito
28-11-2017, 09:08
god dammit motion sickness in PC2 hited me hard ;) i hope with time it will be less annoying. But now i cant make one full lap in Oulton with Clio ;)

Mad Al
28-11-2017, 09:27
god dammit motion sickness in PC2 hited me hard ;) i hope with time it will be less annoying. But now i cant make one full lap in Oulton with Clio ;)

try adjusting the world movement and g force effects..

Olijke Poffer
28-11-2017, 09:39

Better choose a track with less bumps. Oulton Park is a rough track. I would take Monza to start with. Short sessions and don't push yourself. with Little steps it will go better and better.
Your brain needs to adapt.

pablito
28-11-2017, 09:40
try adjusting the world movement and g force effects..

but world movement to 0 or to 100? its always unclear to me which value nulify that effect.

Thanks for advice guys i didnt think that will be so hard to adapt hehe

Olijke Poffer
28-11-2017, 09:42
100% is no movement. :-)

diknmuis
28-11-2017, 09:44

maybe lower your settings, low fps will make it blurry and also make you sick

offline I now drive mostly with no hud, helmet cam and crew chief
endurance races at night make it even more immersive

Mad Al
28-11-2017, 09:44
but world movement to 0 or to 100? its always unclear to me which value nulify that effect.

Try 0 see how it feels, then go the other end and see how that feels... 0 will probably be your best bet initially

pablito
28-11-2017, 09:52
tbh its really interesting how big impact game can have on your body...1 hour later and my head is still dizzy and my stomach doing weird things :D

Olijke Poffer
28-11-2017, 10:02
tbh its really interesting how big impact game can have on your body...1 hour later and my head is still dizzy and my stomach doing weird things :D

Yeah be careful and stop right away when you start feeling sick. Motion sickness can be very nasty and can take a long time to recover from.
I hear gamers talking about the use of a Fan in front of you will help to reduce the motion sickness. There is also a special wrist band which give low electrical charges on a vain which will reduce the nasty feeling in your stomach... not cheap but it seems to help. Although I can't tell if it does.

http://youtu.be/alxJKeqDBpc

Mad Al
28-11-2017, 10:03

Hopefully it won't take long to get over (some people don't, generally the less prone you are to motion sickness in general the easier it is to adapt to VR).

Francisnf
28-11-2017, 10:15
Try 0 see how it feels, then go the other end and see how that feels... 0 will probably be your best bet initially

Good tip Al, i find having it set to 100 is a "no no", 50 is my sweet spot.

pablito
28-11-2017, 11:46

true i was on 100...I try later 0 but still my head feel little weird.

btw. with VR vsync should be ON or OFF?

Mad Al
28-11-2017, 11:54
true i was on 100...I try later 0 but still my head feel little weird.

btw. with VR vsync should be ON or OFF?

Don't think it makes any difference in terms of VR itself, but I've got it on and it may apply only to the VR mirror on your normal screen

Francisnf
28-11-2017, 12:01
Don't think it makes any difference in terms of VR itself, but I've got it on and it may apply only to the VR mirror on your normal screen

I've read in the guides to turn it off, im guessing this is for added FPS.

RomKnight
28-11-2017, 13:03
I don't think it makes a difference IIRC. In any case it's probably the only difference in my settings from triple to VR.

SchluckeWOT
28-11-2017, 14:50
Just as thought. Ian said a few days that overclocking too hard will cause timing issues and he recommended not doing that. Would that have anything to do with VR? I have a 1080 gtx and I7700 with no overclocking option and I can hold a solid 90 with pretty high settings most of the time (race starts). Early on alot of guys with more powerful systems were having issues while I have been smooth all along. They could have nothing to do with each other as I'm not sure what all the overclocking effects. Probably nothing to do with each other but just a thought.

I do run an i5 (can't remember which one right off the top of my head) over clocked from 3.2Ghz to 4.0Ghz with a pretty nice fan, but that is interesting to hear. I was under the impression that my gc (gtx970) was a little lacking for vr and that was the root of my problem.

pablito
28-11-2017, 14:59

world movement 0 and gforce 0 works for me, now i can drive (@Monza ;) ) w/o any revelations (but still feel previous one )
one thing which makes me uncofortable are clipping shadows but its not that bad overall feeling is a lot better and its really amazing.

weird thing is i have always 45fps no matter what settings im using (AWS works really good because everything is smooth) but locked 45 or unlocked is always constant 45fps (tested on SS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2...no matter)

driving in VR is sooo good no comparison to 2D even with ultra wide and head tracking.

Fight-Test
28-11-2017, 15:16
world movement 0 and gforce 0 works for me, now i can drive (@Monza ;) ) w/o any revelations (but still feel previous one )
one thing which makes me uncofortable are clipping shadows but its not that bad overall feeling is a lot better and its really amazing.

weird thing is i have always 45fps no matter what settings im using (AWS works really good because everything is smooth) but locked 45 or unlocked is always constant 45fps (tested on SS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2...no matter)

driving in VR is sooo good no comparison to 2D even with ultra wide and head tracking.

Did you try asw auto?

Fight-Test
28-11-2017, 15:22
I do run an i5 (can't remember which one right off the top of my head) over clocked from 3.2Ghz to 4.0Ghz with a pretty nice fan, but that is interesting to hear. I was under the impression that my gc (gtx970) was a little lacking for vr and that was the root of my problem.

I have no idea what the timing would effect but I found it interesting also as I have always found my findings very different from other guys. I always have a low over head, like -15 but hold solid 90 with very few white flashes (maybe one a hour or longer) and know none as I went to one sensor. Seems like guys with better systems are having way better overhead but worse fps. Also using auto for asw crushes my overhead and when I asked about it only one other guy was having the same issue as me with asw killing the performance. I actually have better performance locked at 90 fps with very little noticeable issues except for at the start of race. I really don't know if one has to do with the other but you never know.

pablito
28-11-2017, 15:22
Did you try asw auto?

yes and i can reach 90fps only when i look at car floor :D but its looks like this free look 45 - floor 90 nothing between. Its normal with VR? why there is nothing like hmmm 60..75...or any other fps movement...always these two options.
tbh i understand im on laptop and even this is good for that setup but just dont understand why ;)

Mad Al
28-11-2017, 15:51
yes and i can reach 90fps only when i look at car floor :D but its looks like this free look 45 - floor 90 nothing between. Its normal with VR? why there is nothing like hmmm 60..75...or any other fps movement...always these two options.
tbh i understand im on laptop and even this is good for that setup but just dont understand why ;)

yes it's normal... https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/ may help explain

Basically the best way to do it is to set up with worst case (full field of AI at night in a thunderstorm is pretty bad) and just make sure your setting don't drop under the magic 45.. hopefully that should translate to going to 90 at times like when you are racing by yourself (note lots of AI will have a hit even when not visible due to the processing required to calculate what they are doing)

If you haven't tried it, try adding pthreads 4 to the steam startup options and see if that helps (it may or it may be worse)

pablito
28-11-2017, 18:52
so overall its just because my rig is to weak to handle more...but tbh ASW doing good job and i can play smoothly even with 45fps but with little higher settings and thats good i can live with that :)

Mrrobbiecee
28-11-2017, 21:48
I’m new to all this , playing with Thrustmaster t300, PS4. Is there vr in project cars 2 PS4?

kiwispec
28-11-2017, 22:56
HTC Vive user here, there is no doubt that your are allot more consistant with hitting apex's etc and laps times are allot more consistant also imo,

I was on a Single screen before and hitting double apex's etc you would just try and gauge where the second apex was untill you pivot the car towards the so called apex and hope all is ok and lined up,
Mazda Laguna's First corner is a good example, it sounds stupid but it helps allot to see where you are going haha,

I play several Sims on VR and have to say PC2 is an amzing experience on VR one of the best atm imo, I run a 1080ti and never had any issues with performance or frames etc, its been a dream to use. would never consider of going back to screen's now.

luv2drive
29-11-2017, 00:06
So I'm trying to spec out a PC so I can get into the VR generation.

Can someone tell me if the GeForce GTX 1060 is powerful enough from a video card perspective?

Mad Al
29-11-2017, 00:14
So I'm trying to spec out a PC so I can get into the VR generation.

Can someone tell me if the GeForce GTX 1060 is powerful enough from a video card perspective?

It will work OK, but if you can get something better you'll be able to up the settings somewhat

satco1066
29-11-2017, 00:49
if possible, take a 1080. Don't save money on the wrong side.

Olijke Poffer
29-11-2017, 08:54
I’m new to all this , playing with Thrustmaster t300, PS4. Is there vr in project cars 2 PS4?

No there is not.. Only PC VR.

Meekychunky
29-11-2017, 09:18
Apologies if this is slightly off-topic; thought I'd ask here first before starting a new thread...

Are you guys having any performance issues in VR since the 1.3 patch? I'm running an Oculus CV1 with a GTX1080ti, and particularly with larger tracks such as Nordschleife & GP Combined I get framerate drops and stuttering after a few minutes of play (it's fine at first). When I quit back to the main menu the stuttering is still visible on the menu (turning my head I see a flickering trail of the menu) but then if I take the headset off for a few seconds and put it back on the issue is resolved. The same thing happens within a session - I pause, take the headset off, put it back on and the issue clears for a short while. I'm running the game against the Oculus VR API - haven't tried OpenVR yet. And I have wiped out my previous graphics settings by removing the "graphicsoptions*" files.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Martinbooker
01-12-2017, 15:20
Finally finished building my new machine. Been through the rift tutorial this morning and was totally blown away so counting the minutes now till I can hop into PC2 for the first time!!
The sense of immersion just from the set up and tutorial was incredible to the point where I'm genuinely apprehensive about just how real careering towards a wall at 200mph is going to feel!

Please no motion sickness please no motion sickness please no motion sickness

Olijke Poffer
01-12-2017, 15:35

Congrats m8... Just start a flat track and no other cars... Free practise. One advise, when you start driving don't look through one of the door windows to the walls of the track (Boarding) and hit the brakes at full power. Not when driving forwards and not driving backwards. It will make you instant sick.. :-) at least I do. I do not experience Motion sickness anymore only a bad feeling in my stomach when I perform the above action. :-)

Let me know what your first feelings where after stepping in the VR car.... I still waiting on my PC to be delivered. (Monday I hope)

beetes_juice
01-12-2017, 15:37
Apologies if this is slightly off-topic; thought I'd ask here first before starting a new thread...

Are you guys having any performance issues in VR since the 1.3 patch? I'm running an Oculus CV1 with a GTX1080ti, and particularly with larger tracks such as Nordschleife & GP Combined I get framerate drops and stuttering after a few minutes of play (it's fine at first). When I quit back to the main menu the stuttering is still visible on the menu (turning my head I see a flickering trail of the menu) but then if I take the headset off for a few seconds and put it back on the issue is resolved. The same thing happens within a session - I pause, take the headset off, put it back on and the issue clears for a short while. I'm running the game against the Oculus VR API - haven't tried OpenVR yet. And I have wiped out my previous graphics settings by removing the "graphicsoptions*" files.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

I had very bad gitters in VR earlier in the week (maybe last weekend) and thought my sensor was shot. Driver updated fixed my gitters.

pablito
01-12-2017, 15:38
Finally finished building my new machine. Been through the rift tutorial this morning and was totally blown away so counting the minutes now till I can hop into PC2 for the first time!!
The sense of immersion just from the set up and tutorial was incredible to the point where I'm genuinely apprehensive about just how real careering towards a wall at 200mph is going to feel!

im fighting with simulation sickness from tuesday, and today i was able to drive almost one hour w/o problems and now i can recover in less than one hour to drive again...but first two days was hard.

good luck and have fun! :D

Purg
01-12-2017, 18:50

Are you guys having any performance issues in VR since the 1.3 patch? I'm running an Oculus CV1 with a GTX1080ti, and particularly with larger tracks such as Nordschleife & GP Combined I get framerate drops and stuttering after a few minutes of play (it's fine at first). When I quit back to the main menu the stuttering is still visible on the menu (turning my head I see a flickering trail of the menu)

Once. But I found that Chrome running in the background was causing the issue. When I closed it and went back to the menu, it had stopped stuttering.

I had one championship race in the GT4 Cayman at Willow Springs where the fps went below 45fps for most of the race but the menus afterwards was fine. I since deleted the graphicsconfig file but I'd have to go through a few races to test that specific race again.

Purg
01-12-2017, 18:53
Motion sickness appears to be one of those things you either suffer from or you don't. If you do, most people seem to be able to train themselves using short periods of VR, then rest. The previous post i had a race that was below 45fps so was quite stuttery, for the first time in VR I felt uncomfortable. Just make sure you get to 45fps and ASW should at least stop that one method of feeling funny.

lmntr
01-12-2017, 20:00
I do not know much about VR but the first post makes it look like it works with PC2. My question is, can you make the VR work with looking to the side as done with a preset button but because it is VR, is it possible to make it gradual and synchronized with the angle of your head in relation to straight-ahead. That would be awesome!

snakehands
01-12-2017, 20:09
I do not know much about VR but the first post makes it look like it works with PC2. My question is, can you make the VR work with looking to the side as done with a preset button but because it is VR, is it possible to make it gradual and synchronized with the angle of your head in relation to straight-ahead. That would be awesome!

Sorry, I don’t understand the question, could you please rephrase?

beetes_juice
01-12-2017, 20:19
Think he is asking if you can turn your head in game like the look left/look right buttons. Answer is yes, your head movements are tracked and move at the speed you move your head. Full 360 degree view. Your literally sitting inside the car as you'd do in RL.

*lmntr, bunch of VR videos in my signature link below that can give you an idea.

Purg
02-12-2017, 03:16

Despite listening and watching many videos prior to getting a Rift, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I think I figured it'd just be a larger screen in front of me that made what I was seeing look life sized.

That's not it at all. Sitting behind the wheel of a real car looks exactly the same as sitting behind the wheel of a VR car. Though., due to display limitations, it feels like you're sitting in the cockpit of a racecar while wearing a pair of stockings on your head.

Race and flight sims are especially impressive in VR because you're seated in a virtual cockpit. It makes you feel like you're really there (..with a stocking on your head)

Martinbooker
02-12-2017, 10:44
Finally popped my VR cherry last night. One word, AMAZING!

Like other people have said in this thread, no amount of youtube videos (and I’ve watched pretty much all of them leading up to this) do it justice. The sense of being there is incredible and having proper sense of depth and spatial awareness makes close racing finally possible without having to guess where your car is, you can see exactly where it is!

And the best part for me personally, no motion sickness. Not even little bit. Ragging the nuts off the bac mono round Cadwell park at night, in a thunderstorm has to be experienced to be believed

Martinbooker
02-12-2017, 10:53
Congrats m8... Just start a flat track and no other cars... Free practise. One advise, when you start driving don't look through one of the door windows to the walls of the track (Boarding) and hit the brakes at full power. Not when driving forwards and not driving backwards. It will make you instant sick.. :-) at least I do. I do not experience Motion sickness anymore only a bad feeling in my stomach when I perform the above action. :-)

Let me know what your first feelings where after stepping in the VR car.... I still waiting on my PC to be delivered. (Monday I hope)

Weirdly enough, after taking it easy for a bit with a slow car round a flat track, I slowly ramped the “extreme” up to an extent where I was thinking of stuff to try to actually induce the sickness to see where my limit was and never found it.

Ended up seeing how much air I could get over that sweet short sharp uphill bit round cadwell park, spinning out and the scraping backwards pointing the wrong way down the barriers and still never felt it.

Spa in something quick up and over eau rouge next!

Hope you get your rig soon mate 😀

Olijke Poffer
02-12-2017, 10:59
Weirdly enough, after taking it easy for a bit with a slow car round a flat track, I slowly ramped the “extreme” up to an extent where I was thinking of stuff to try to actually induce the sickness to see where my limit was and never found it.

Ended up seeing how much air I could get over that sweet short sharp uphill bit round cadwell park, spinning out and the scraping backwards pointing the wrong way down the barriers and still never felt it.

Spa in something quick up and over eau rouge next!

Hope you get your rig soon mate ��

Well looks like you're one of the lucky people without any motion sickness. You will do good in space. :-)
Have fun with your VR.. It is really awesome indeed.

Martinbooker
02-12-2017, 11:09

Can I ask what settings you’re running elsewhere to get 2 x supersampling? I went up to 2 x last night and it was the first time I saw drops down to 45fps. Found a Happy medium on around the 1.6 mark though I still have some headroom to go yet as I’ve not done any OC so far.

Martinbooker
02-12-2017, 11:18
Question... can I display what FPS i’m Getting while inside? I have the steam FPS counter on but that only seems to display on the mirrored external screen and I don’t see it when I have the headset on?

Also, is it obvious when asw kicks in? Or should I not notice it?

I promise I’ll shut up for a bit now lol. As you can tell, I’m pretty excited

snakehands
02-12-2017, 12:04
Question... can I display what FPS i’m Getting while inside? I have the steam FPS counter on but that only seems to display on the mirrored external screen and I don’t see it when I have the headset on?

Also, is it obvious when asw kicks in? Or should I not notice it?

I promise I’ll shut up for a bit now lol. As you can tell, I’m pretty excited

My advice: don't bother with FPS. Is it smooth?

Martinbooker
02-12-2017, 12:35
My advice: don't bother with FPS. Is it smooth?

Yeah seems smooth but my OCD demands to know lol
Just found the oculus tray tool or debug app will add an overlay that shows both FPS and a performance headroom figure which is exactly what I’m after

Purg
02-12-2017, 17:39

Try the Karts. When I first got my VR about a year and a half ago, I was also suffering from back pain. I was on some meds for the pain and I was desperate to get some seat time. I had read others having issues with Karts in VR (this was PC1) so I decided to give it a try. I didn't much like the physics but I was probably feeling an onset of motion sickness. I think the theory was that it feels like a wider FOV with high grip turns that confuses the brain. Don't know if it was the meds or the experience that made me feel odd.

Also had it a couple of days ago when I was in a career race and I had below 45fps for 10+ laps.

My first brain bouncing moment was grabbing for a drink while driving. Grab the drink, hey - my arms didn't move?! Still catches me now and then..

writer21
02-12-2017, 18:32
Anyone got the Samsung Odyssey working with Project Cars 2? I tried the rift and liked the realistic feeling but what killed it quick was the screen door effect and the colors and low details. The samsung vr runs higher resolution so I would like a comparison before trying again.

Martinbooker
02-12-2017, 21:02
My first brain bouncing moment was grabbing for a drink while driving. Grab the drink, hey - my arms didn't move?! Still catches me now and then..

I was 10 laps in to a race last night and had an itchy nose, went to scratch it..... Freaked me right out!

sbtm
03-12-2017, 12:59
before the Rift the AMG GT3 wanted to kill me... now with the Rift i finally tamed it!!

Madhun67
26-12-2017, 12:45
before the Rift the AMG GT3 wanted to kill me... now with the Rift i finally tamed it!!

GOT THE RIFT FOR XMAS!!!!!!!!!!!! yay, now if i can jus train myself to not get sick after 5 laps at Barcelona in a rallyx lite car:(
what a great experience though,as it adds so much to the sim

Olijke Poffer
26-12-2017, 13:51
Welcome to the club....

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4JyOCNEfXvVYEqB2/giphy.gif

gregc
26-12-2017, 14:52
GOT THE RIFT FOR XMAS!!!!!!!!!!!! yay, now if i can jus train myself to not get sick after 5 laps at Barcelona in a rallyx lite car:(
what a great experience though,as it adds so much to the sim

Welcome to VR club :)

Going straight into RX in VR is pretty hardcore - I'd suggest trying something a bit less sideways and intense to get used to VR driving first!

VelvetTorpedo
26-12-2017, 14:58
One of the first cars I drove with my new Vive was the Bronco Brocky at Dirtfish haha. Also did the Group B Renault at Azure circuit. It was amazing!

Madhun67
26-12-2017, 16:12
i ended up ordering a motion sickness wrist gizmo, getting some ginger tonight to fight sickness.I will get up before i get sick,and walk around a bit.Have to fight this ..................

Madhun67
26-12-2017, 16:14
THANKS FOR ALL THE WELCOMES !!!!!!!!!!

GTsimms
26-12-2017, 16:19
The problem, that I have is with RL driving after being in VR with Project CAR 2. The feeling is so close!!!

Olijke Poffer
26-12-2017, 17:35
Haha yeah indeed. I need to be careful to stay in the drive lane. I tend to pick every corner at the apax even if it is on the oposite drive lane.

flowerdealer
26-12-2017, 17:55
Anyone got the Samsung Odyssey working with Project Cars 2? I tried the rift and liked the realistic feeling but what killed it quick was the screen door effect and the colors and low details. The samsung vr runs higher resolution so I would like a comparison before trying again.

I have it but performance is a bit poor. You need to really up the supersampling to improve visual clarity, which kills performance further. Assetto Corsa had much simpler graphics but looks sharper at a distance. I still feel that Project Cars 2 makes me less sick, even at below 90fps, for some reason, and looks way better.

pa_pinkelman
26-12-2017, 20:30
Though., due to display limitations, it feels like you're sitting in the cockpit of a racecar while wearing a pair of stockings on your head.

:D:D:D

luv2drive
01-01-2018, 01:15

Well, I can now say I'm a proud and happy member of the "VR and 50" club! Big thanks to @Olijke Poffer and @pa_pinkleman and everyone else on this thread for the encouragement.

I have to say I'm completely blown away, and even though I tried with the 1060 and the resolution isn't quite top notch, I'm still enjoying it. But I decided to bite the bullet and trade the system in for one that includes the 1080Ti... only ended up being a couple hundred more when all was said and done.

Can't wait until the new gear arrives, but already having a blast.

I read somewhere that the open car experience is amazing and it is. Try running the 'Ring in a Formula C on an autumn night. It's pretty dark but you can turn on the driving line to help guide the way LOL. Just be careful not to run off the track when you look up at the stars :)

Happy New Year to all the great sim racers on this forum!

Boeng
01-01-2018, 13:09
Just to extend this thread with another opinion of an 'older' PC Gamer i also have to say that VR changes the Game, like all the Guys here told before. If you're thinking about it, just get it. You will not regret. Also looking forward for the next gen Headset, since higher resolution will make the immersion even more perfect.

Driving with an Oculus on an 1080Ti with paired with an i5 6600k. Both overclocked - 1080Ti@2Ghz, i5 6600k at 4.7Ghz - I just wondered about the information i read in this thread about overclocking would cause lower framerates or timing issues. How would those appear in game?

I'm going at 1.3SS and medium MSAA which gives the best combination of clarity and performance for me. Raising SS doesn't make much of a difference for my eyes - but that could be my eyes of course, since they aren't that good any more. Running nearly constant 90fps even with full grid, of course some drops at nights and bad weather at crowdy situations.

I just get this sporadic flicker like a wrong picture is rendered for one frame, but that doesn't seem to be influenced by the overclocking, since it also appears when running on stock settings. Seems to be something with the Nvidia or Oculus drivers - who knows.
Sometimes (maybe once an hour) it also feels that the Headset gets disconnected for a millisecond, since there is a short stutter (like 2-3 frames) and the sound stops for about 1-2 seconds.
Another thing i mentioned is, that sometimes - when raced for a longer period - the headtracking wents a bit strange. Not bad at all, i mostly don't even mention it while racing, but when standing still with the car and turning my head from right to left and back, the cockpit moves slightly up and down as if i would look more down while in the middle and looking more up again when turning my head to the right or left. It's not much but it's definitely there. To get it back to normal again i have to stop the game, restart oculus service and launch the game again. I never mentioned this behaviour in other games, running the rift for half a year now. It seems to be just for PC2.

Anyone got an idea or could tell me what exactly could be the problems that can appear with overclocking?

DGamble
01-01-2018, 13:19
"the cockpit moves slightly up and down as if i would look more down while in the middle and looking more up again when turning my head to the right or left."

I had this for awhile - it cleared up considerably (on my Rift) when I made sure the sensors were pointed almost directly at where my Rift headset was going to be. I had moved them around when trying to get more of a room scale setup - now I just adjust them for whatever I'm going to be doing in a play session. I also get the periodic "oops frame," but I've just decided to live with that - small price to pay. That said, I hope it gets fixed someday.

"Also looking forward for the next gen Headset, since higher resolution will make the immersion even more perfect."

This, plus I'm also hoping for a feeding tube. VR is so incredibly addictive that I hate to break for meals.

Vic Flange
01-01-2018, 20:37
Couldn’t hold out any longer. Just ordered a gaming PC. i7 7700K 4.5gHz, 16GB of DDR4 3000mhz memory and a 1080ti graphics card. That should get me sorted.
Can’t wait.

Olijke Poffer
01-01-2018, 21:50
You won’t regret it. I love it.. I also come from the ps4 and still have it of course but racing in VR is really awesome. And all the other VR games......

pa_pinkelman
02-01-2018, 10:18
A liittle off topic but I have to mention Euro Truck Simulator 2. Have any of you guys tried it in VR? I can recommend it, it's awesome!!!

GTsimms
02-01-2018, 16:16
My 51 year old brother is testing Project CARS 2 right now in VR and loving it!

Martinbooker
02-01-2018, 16:20
A liittle off topic but I have to mention Euro Truck Simulator 2. Have any of you guys tried it in VR? I can recommend it, it's awesome!!!

I picked it up cheap in the steam sale but not tried it yet. Couldn't decide if the 'mostly positive' reviews were a bit ironic or genuine so decided to take a punt :)

Good then?

Olijke Poffer
02-01-2018, 16:21
I’m 50 myself but that is only an age. I don’t feel different than at the time I was 20. Yeah physically it got worse.. ;)
I love gaming and since I have VR I’m hooked and don’t play 2D games anymore.. although I want Assassins Creed origins.

Twinz
02-01-2018, 19:19
My son suggested the rift when it first dropped under $400 and I wasn't interested because I thought it was just a screen mounted to your face. He eventually talked me into it, and I'm glad he did!

The realistic depth-perception and ability to look through turns makes braking and turn-in points easier to get right. (Or at least ballpark)

VelvetTorpedo
02-01-2018, 19:23
I'm still trying to get used to racing in VR. Seat position and FOV are HUGE in getting the sensation correct for me. If the seat is even up or down a click too far it throws me off.

Rodders
02-01-2018, 19:31
I'm still trying to get used to racing in VR. Seat position and FOV are HUGE in getting the sensation correct for me. If the seat is even up or down a click too far it throws me off.

The FoV change was the most difficult thing to adjust to in the switch to VR for me - I used to use an artificially high FoV playing on a screen (I prefer it) so all the corner profiles and instinctual braking points had completely changed when I went VR. A few weeks racing got the brain adjusted again correctly ;)

Best upgrade ever for racing TBH. My opinion is if your PC can handle it and you like sim racing, get a VR headset, no question.

On the OP question - does it make you a better driver?

Does it make you faster - I don't think so, you adjust to whatever control and screen method you use, super fast pad drivers on single screens show that to be the case; but overall I'd say it does make you a better (not faster) driver as you are certainly much more able to be aware of your surrounding, especially when you go off track and can so much more easily check it's safe to come back on. In open top cars it gets even better as you can physically look all around you. I'll never tire of going along at 150MPH looking to my side at another car alongside :)

Twinz
02-01-2018, 19:37
On my Rift, I just make myself comfortable in the seat, rest my wrists on the wheel, close my eyes, face straight ahead, and hit the camera reset button. That does the trick for me. (I have found that leaving my eyes open during the reset sometimes messes with my perception of what straight-ahead is...and thus messes up the position of the camera)

Twinz
02-01-2018, 19:39
The FoV change was the most difficult thing to adjust to in the switch to VR for me - I used to use an artificially high FoV playing on a screen (I prefer it) so all the corner profiles and instinctual braking points had completely changed when I went VR. A few weeks racing got the brain adjusted again correctly ;)

Best upgrade ever for racing TBH. My opinion is if your PC can handle it and you like sim racing, get a VR headset, no question.

On the OP question - does it make you a better driver?

Does it make you faster - I don't think so, you adjust to whatever control and screen method you use, super fast pad drivers on single screens show that to be the case; but overall I'd say it does make you a better (not faster) driver as you are certainly much more able to be aware of your surrounding, especially when you go off track and can so much more easily check it's safe to come back on. In open top cars it gets even better as you can physically look all around you. I'll never tire of going along at 150MPH looking to my side at another car alongside :)

I autocross IRL and the Rift FOV is similar to that of my closed-face helmet. - so it feels a little more real to me *because* of the limited FOV.

Vic Flange
02-01-2018, 19:54

At £3.74 it would be rude not to. I’ve purchased it and I haven’t even got my PC or Rift yet ! :D

etn
02-01-2018, 20:30
Hi guys,
I totally agree with your opinions.
Since I'm in VR I'm about to like even beeing overtaken... what a beauty a car close to your mirror!
Joking aside, I think you get a bit faster: you can brake later because you can estimate better the breaking point, you have a better line in turns because you can estimate better the apex.
And obviously not to mention the sense of immersion you feel!

Olijke Poffer
02-01-2018, 21:39

Looks like fun to me too. I thought it was difficult to get it work with the Rift.is this not the case?

Edit:
This is the one I presume?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/Euro_Truck_Simulator_2/

Purg
02-01-2018, 23:33
On my Rift, I just make myself comfortable in the seat, rest my wrists on the wheel, close my eyes, face straight ahead, and hit the camera reset button. That does the trick for me. (I have found that leaving my eyes open during the reset sometimes messes with my perception of what straight-ahead is...and thus messes up the position of the camera)

I'll have to try that because I seem to get the same sensation. I tend to tilt my head to the right a few degrees to get what feels like straight ahead, it certainly doesn't appear straight when I center when my head is straight. I've slid up the HMD to see whether my body has oriented in some weird way because the image appears skewed to the right..

peterCars
03-01-2018, 02:06
just wondering, in the light that apparently it is due to performance that in PCARS2 you cannot see your own vehicle in the rear view mirror, if you have a VR set on and turn your head around to look back, can you see your rear end, so to speak? open wheeler tyres I am interested in seeing.

pa_pinkelman
03-01-2018, 09:08
Looks like fun to me too. I thought it was difficult to get it work with the Rift.is this not the case?

Edit:
This is the one I presume?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/Euro_Truck_Simulator_2/

Yup, that's the one. It is fairly easy to set up.

I run it with pro mods installed (google it) on high settings with ss 1.5 and with ASW forced on. It runs butter smoot(ish) that way.
The game itself is very relaxing. For that price you should try it. With all the map expansions, which are needed to run Pro Mods, it is very much fun.

Olijke Poffer
03-01-2018, 11:24
Thanks will try it. Just downloaded the demo. If I like it I will buy the full version. Just for the fun..

Martinbooker
03-01-2018, 11:59
Still haven't tried it yet but I just know I'll end up playing it like Jimmer Broadbent...

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimNmYlex84

SchluckeWOT
03-01-2018, 16:08
What are some of you running for a HUD in VR? I've been running with it turned off while racing AI because it's a little blurry and distracting but I'm interested to hear about everyone else's setup.

pa_pinkelman
03-01-2018, 18:53
Thanks will try it. Just downloaded the demo. If I like it I will buy the full version. Just for the fun..

Don't wait to long, winter sale ends the 4th of january.
And afaik the demo doesn't support VR.

luv2drive
03-01-2018, 19:39
Hey guys, I posted this question in the other VR thread, but just in case you're not reading that one...

I just got my upgraded PC with a 1080Ti. I set everything up, I believe the same as before, but now I get no video in my Rift headset, only audio.

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but no idea what as the install procedures were pretty straightforward.

Did any of you ever have that problem? Any ideas?

Topsie
03-01-2018, 20:45
I have it set up to cycle through when needed. My main one is all HUD off, then another with positions and relative times and the other for telemetry. I also have names off in both AI and MP races

Edit: Reply to Colbalt54

Martinbooker
04-01-2018, 07:19
Hey guys, I posted this question in the other VR thread, but just in case you're not reading that one...

I just got my upgraded PC with a 1080Ti. I set everything up, I believe the same as before, but now I get no video in my Rift headset, only audio.

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but no idea what as the install procedures were pretty straightforward.

Did any of you ever have that problem? Any ideas?

It sounds like you’re launching the standard desktop version so it’s only playing on the external monitor, if you’re launching it from steam you should get an option to run it in one of 2 VR modes. Otherwise, you can create a shortcut to it and launch into VR mode directly from that.

Details on creating this shortcut here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54483-VR-Guide-Setup-Settings-and-General-tips&p=1384641&viewfull=1#post1384641

Olijke Poffer
04-01-2018, 10:16
Yup, that's the one. It is fairly easy to set up.

I run it with pro mods installed (google it) on high settings with ss 1.5 and with ASW forced on. It runs butter smoot(ish) that way.
The game itself is very relaxing. For that price you should try it. With all the map expansions, which are needed to run Pro Mods, it is very much fun.

How do you use all the keyboard shortcuts with a VR headset on your nose? Do you use Voice Attack?

pa_pinkelman
04-01-2018, 11:23
How do you use all the keyboard shortcuts with a VR headset on your nose? Do you use Voice Attack?

I use my wheel and 2 shifters for the basic functions. Some.other functions I mapped to the "easy to find with a headset on keys" like the arrow keys or spacebar etc.

rtazz17
04-01-2018, 15:25

Use voice attack... so much better to just talk a command... I use voice attack for any vr game I do.

rtazz17
04-01-2018, 15:27
Try it for a while because the initial wow wears off and then you realize you are just driving a truck and doing deliveries. It gets quite boring very fast imo... but yeah its cool at first like most vr games but then boredom sets in

pa_pinkelman
04-01-2018, 16:13
Try it for a while because the initial wow wears off and then you realize you are just driving a truck and doing deliveries. It gets quite boring very fast imo... but yeah its cool at first like most vr games but then boredom sets in

For you it did obviously....:)

snakeyman
04-01-2018, 16:47
Sorry if this has already been answered in the forum before...

I've got PC2 on the Xbox One, is the Oculus Rift compatible (or any VR kit for that matter)?

Vic Flange
04-01-2018, 18:18
Sorry if this has already been answered in the forum before...

I've got PC2 on the Xbox One, is the Oculus Rift compatible (or any VR kit for that matter)?

VR is only available for PC2 on PC. I don’t think the Xbox is compatible with any VR (could be wrong though).

Jack-NL
04-01-2018, 18:57

Not (soon) (https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/38215-virtual-reality-multiplayer/&do=findComment&comment=368240) in VR sadly but tried the free Multiplayer mod for ETS2?
Ok lots of idiots as in any MP game lol but lots of fun with good people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLAoEzlZTg
check out the forum on truckersmp.com for more information

BigDad
05-01-2018, 10:45

Its worth the $5 that its priced at atm and is a little fun so far (5 hours in). I got ATS not Euro!

Francisnf
05-01-2018, 12:34
Its worth the $5 that its priced at atm and is a little fun so far (5 hours in). I got ATS not Euro!

I bought it after reading this forum too and have really enjoyed it so far! i never thought driving a lorry down the M1 would be so much fun :) but it is, stick Trucker FM on and im off haha. Managed to buy my first Lorry, a nice black number, its pretty quick without a trailer attached.

Anyway, i've just also got the French pack, so will be off to Europe tonight ;)

Vic Flange
08-01-2018, 20:34
Well it is finally here ! Yay.

Just had my first VR race in Project Cars. Still needs some tweeking to get it perfect but I am delighted with it. There really is no going back to a monitor I think.

Madhun67
09-01-2018, 00:56
Wow lot of old 50 year olds ........including me :). Enjoying VR since Xmas !!!!

VelvetTorpedo
09-01-2018, 02:32
Just 37 here :angel:

Olijke Poffer
09-01-2018, 06:08
Well it is finally here ! Yay.

Just had my first VR race in Project Cars. Still needs some tweeking to get it perfect but I am delighted with it. There really is no going back to a monitor I think.

congrats.. you should update your profile too as it stated PS4. :-)

PostBox981
09-01-2018, 10:09
Just 37 here :angel:

Boooooh!

:sorrow:

BigDad
09-01-2018, 10:29
42 Yrs here and got a Rift December 2nd .

morpwr
09-01-2018, 10:34
Just turned 48 on December 3rd. So yeah we are a bunch of old farts.

Madhun67
09-01-2018, 10:41
Seems amazing to me ,the amount of middle aged people playing sims.Same on the Dirt Rally forums,few years ago.
back on topic, the VR experience is getting a lot better,now few weeks into it.As i said before,the first few times i got sick,but sticking to it made it gradually better for me.
Now if i can get over the "in your face" experience, and i can tell i can "feel" the tracks much better,and i will be turning better lap times:)
For those of you who have it ,Raceroom in VR is amazing too.

morpwr
09-01-2018, 10:45
Seems amazing to me ,the amount of middle aged people playing sims.Same on the Dirt Rally forums,few years ago.
back on topic, the VR experience is getting a lot better,now few weeks into it.As i said before,the first few times i got sick,but sticking to it made it gradually better for me.
Now if i can get over the "in your face" experience, and i can tell i can "feel" the tracks much better,and i will be turning better lap times:)

Try it from helmet view with it turned on. Very cool! I know everyone says not to leave it turned on but it so much better with it on. Really adds to the immersion.

gregc
09-01-2018, 10:51
Lol, add me to the old fart club - 48 in a few months.

In terms of VR making you better, I don't generally find I'm any quicker with it (or if I am it's just a tenth or two) but I am much more consistent.

Francisnf
09-01-2018, 11:00

I've found i can play basically anything in VR now without getting sick, i think playing a little & often has built up my tolerance. Playing Doom VR (with free movement), Eve Valk etc isn't a problem anymore.

I will try that Raceroom tonight.

Anything-but
09-01-2018, 21:53
Anyone stream in VR with obs/xsplit?

Without either obs or xsplit running PC2 in VR is smooth and fine, but once i have one open (not even streaming or recording) i get damm annoying judder every so often in the HMD .
Soon as i quit obs/xsplit everything runs smooth again

Tried everything, DDU new drivers,checked settings, un-installed/re-installed both programs and still it happens

Anyone got clues as to what it may be? (apart from that, VR is awesome)

*51 3/4 y/o*

pa_pinkelman
10-01-2018, 07:18
I've found i can play basically anything in VR now without getting sick, i think playing a little & often has built up my tolerance. Playing Doom VR (with free movement), Eve Valk etc isn't a problem anymore.

I will try that Raceroom tonight.

Raceroom is very good. The physics are very enjoyable and the sounds are amazing. Also some very nice track and car-choices. VR performance is good also but still a little rough around the edges. Some tracks are in need of some performance optomalization. The Nordschleife for example is almost undriveable for me.

pa_pinkelman
10-01-2018, 07:20

In terms of VR making you better, I don't generally find I'm any quicker with it (or if I am it's just a tenth or two) but I am much more consistent.

Same here, more consistent and also I find close wheel to wheel racing is much easier now, wich makes the racing so much more exciting.

Olijke Poffer
10-01-2018, 08:16

I think I drive better in VR. Much better depth perception and indeed more consistent and above all, the immersion is so cool. To actually have the feeling you are sitting behind the wheel of such HP monster... I love it....
No more 2D racing for me.. Until I become of that age that I'm not allowed to drive anymore. :P

FastForward352
10-01-2018, 11:04
2D racing is also a thing from the past for me, I'm much more consistent in VR than on a flat screen. And the immersion is so incredible ! a few days ago, after a nice race in multiplayer, I finished 2nd and I came next to the winner's cars in the deceleration lap to give him a thumbs up...until I realised my hand won't move from the wheel ! :D

Makman43
10-01-2018, 12:18
48 yrs as well....:cool:

FastForward352
10-01-2018, 17:48
52 here ;)

EV3RY
10-01-2018, 18:21
I'm 18 with 32 years experience ;)

VelvetTorpedo
11-01-2018, 00:49
Does anyone else only get motion sick if they have to drive in reverse? It's so strong I have to close my 37 year old eyes.

Purg
11-01-2018, 02:45
Does anyone else only get motion sick if they have to drive in reverse? It's so strong I have to close my 37 year old eyes.

My 47 year old eyes have no problem going in reverse.

Karts in PC1 was my achilles heel. Haven't bothered to try them in PC2.

Invincible
11-01-2018, 06:50

Same here. Going in reverse or rolling backwards after a spin is an insta-barf.

MaXyM
11-01-2018, 08:14

Try to focus on mirror then ;)
BTW I have no any sickness in VR

Gav88888
11-01-2018, 08:40
Just after some general advice guys. I would love to try VR having read a lot of positive reviews about playing PC2 in VR, but also from reading some of the comments about running in VR you need to hit 90fps, and to get that it means you have to limit the graphics somewhat.

At present I am a XB1 user, always had consoles, and I'm thinking of either getting a XB1X for 450 which keeps things simple for the next few years and allows me to fully experience the game, just no VR, or spending up to double that on a good gaming PC with VR headset.

I think the headset is around 300 or so, so that leaves say 600 for the PC. Price wise I seem to be looking at a GTX1060 with i7 processor. How much would I be limited on graphics and things like grid sizes and weather effects etc whilst running VR at 90fps with a 1060?

My main reason for thinking about swapping the XB1 for a XB1X (aside from playing in VR) is due to limitations on grid sizes and weather effects etc with the base XB1, and I really didn't fancy the idea of repeating that on an expensive PC just with VR.

I guess what I ideally want is the game to look and play like the XB1X version but with VR. Is the 1060 capable of that or do I need a better GPU?

PostBox981
11-01-2018, 10:45
My 47 year old eyes have no problem going in reverse.

Karts in PC1 was my achilles heel. Haven't bothered to try them in PC2.

Going in reverse isn´t much of a problem, the only VR issue left for me is that my 54 year old stomach is complaining when going through that Adenau dip on Nords. Strange enough it´s only this one, all others around Nords are fine...

cluck
11-01-2018, 12:07
Just after some general advice guys. I would love to try VR having read a lot of positive reviews about playing PC2 in VR, but also from reading some of the comments about running in VR you need to hit 90fps, and to get that it means you have to limit the graphics somewhat.

At present I am a XB1 user, always had consoles, and I'm thinking of either getting a XB1X for 450 which keeps things simple for the next few years and allows me to fully experience the game, just no VR, or spending up to double that on a good gaming PC with VR headset.

I think the headset is around 300 or so, so that leaves say 600 for the PC. Price wise I seem to be looking at a GTX1060 with i7 processor. How much would I be limited on graphics and things like grid sizes and weather effects etc whilst running VR at 90fps with a 1060?

My main reason for thinking about swapping the XB1 for a XB1X (aside from playing in VR) is due to limitations on grid sizes and weather effects etc with the base XB1, and I really didn't fancy the idea of repeating that on an expensive PC just with VR.

I guess what I ideally want is the game to look and play like the XB1X version but with VR. Is the 1060 capable of that or do I need a better GPU?1060 is just below the spec of my overclocked 980GTX and even with the lower frame rate and lower resolution of the Oculus DK2, compared to the HTC Vive or Oculus CV1, it rarely runs at a full 75fps. Mind you, I have everything running at maximum level except for grass, reflections and environment mapping (grass is off and the other two are set to 'Low'). You will almost certainly be in the ASW mode for most of the time - which is fine for some people, not for others (I don't mind it, though it's a thing of beauty when it's running the full 75fps!). Realistically, if you want all the trimmings and want to hit 90fps in almost all conditions, you'll be wanting a 1080ti but even then you can expect to dip below 90fps here and there.

Gav88888
11-01-2018, 12:47
1060 is just below the spec of my overclocked 980GTX and even with the lower frame rate and lower resolution of the Oculus DK2, compared to the HTC Vive or Oculus CV1, it rarely runs at a full 75fps. Mind you, I have everything running at maximum level except for grass, reflections and environment mapping (grass is off and the other two are set to 'Low'). You will almost certainly be in the ASW mode for most of the time - which is fine for some people, not for others (I don't mind it, though it's a thing of beauty when it's running the full 75fps!). Realistically, if you want all the trimmings and want to hit 90fps in almost all conditions, you'll be wanting a 1080ti but even then you can expect to dip below 90fps here and there.

What is ASW mode, I don't really know the PC settings let alone VR.

Also I was led to believe that VR only works at 90fps, but 45fps might work but will likely make you feel sick?

Invincible
11-01-2018, 12:56
What is ASW mode, I don't really know the PC settings let alone VR.

Also I was led to believe that VR only works at 90fps, but 45fps might work but will likely make you feel sick?

ASW lets the system run @45 fps but extrapolates the image. On this page is a small gif which shows what it does: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/
When I had a rift, I often didn't even notice that the system was running @45 fps instead of 90

Invid
12-01-2018, 16:11

That was true initially for me also. Not much of a speed improvement but a big consistency improvement and far fewer spins too, especially when pushing hard.

Over time though, I've gotten faster as the ability to look into a tight corner at the apex allows you to make corrections to your line early, long before you could on a single screen. The importance of early corrections is that they can be more subtle than the the corrections you need to apply if you wait until later that scrub more speed and compromise your exit. VR is a game changer and I can't race on a monitor anymore - quite simply, I used to miss most of my apexes and now I hit most of them.

A perfect car for VR IMO is the Radical SR3 since it has the great visibility of an open cockpit, and incredible handling. The car breaks traction in a very progressive fashion and in VR it's super easy to distinguish between a lateral slide and the car rotating...the increased confidence allows you to push much closer to the limit at mid corner and that translates into faster times. It's easier to tune the balance of a car's setup in VR too.

Purg
13-01-2018, 00:28

Visual artefacts is the only way you'd probably know that ASW was kicking in, otherwise it looks as smooth as running at 90fps.

For instance, Long Beach seems to be more taxing on my system than most other tracks. Until I futzed with the settings, ASW was kicking in and I was at 45fps. How did I know? Because the fences on the side of the track or the windows of the buildings would distort. Everything else though, much the same. That *may* make someone feel ill but I'm sure it drastically reduces VR sickness if it was displaying choppily at an actual 45fps. When I'm seeing performance drop less than 45fps in VR, I do start to feel uncomfortable.

You can get away with running lower visual settings in VR since higher settings are effectively useless. The lower pixel density masks the improvements in visual fidelity.

Olijke Poffer
13-01-2018, 07:57
Yeah you see a short flickering on the screen when ASW kicks in.. Personally I don't have any problems with that. There is more flickering going on when playing in VR. Like the white ones we all experience.

PostBox981
13-01-2018, 11:16
I still wonder, how much 45 FPS it really is when running on ASW. If I got that right, then I get 45 properly calculated 3D frames plus 45 interpolated frames - to me that makes 90. Only difference is that 45 of them have not been calculated as a 3D scene.

I had been running pCARS2 with ASW permanently on and had no issues at all, being able to crank most quality settings up to high or ultra. Unfortunately the Oculus Tray Tool doesn´t work reliable anymore, so I left my graphics settings on that high level running almost permanent 45 (+45) FPS with 90 FPS kicking in every now and then. :rolleyes:

BigDad
13-01-2018, 13:40
Not sure if this is for all games but i found this little tip that works in other Sims ,

Great Tip for VR users ,
Ctrl + Numpad 1,2,3 and 4 activate ASW in different forms .
Ctrl + Numpad 1: deactivate ASW 90 FPS no ASW
Ctrl + Numpad 2: lock 45 FPS no ASW
Ctrl + Numpad 3: Lock 45 FPS ASW active
Ctrl + Numpad 4: ASW active 90FPS until drops below then 45 FPS .

Hope this is useful .

Redadeg
13-01-2018, 14:57
45 here and no sickness problems while driving.

But got horrible sickness after "The climb", last week. Lay down 2 days with a feeling of 2 cm away from puking.

pa_pinkelman
16-01-2018, 08:08
Not sure if this is for all games but i found this little tip that works in other Sims ,

Great Tip for VR users ,
Ctrl + Numpad 1,2,3 and 4 activate ASW in different forms .
Ctrl + Numpad 1: deactivate ASW 90 FPS no ASW
Ctrl + Numpad 2: lock 45 FPS no ASW
Ctrl + Numpad 3: Lock 45 FPS ASW active
Ctrl + Numpad 4: ASW active 90FPS until drops below then 45 FPS .

Hope this is useful .

Or use the speech commands via the Tray tool to acchieve this. Also handy for bringing up the performance overlay so now and then.
In both cases Oculus Home should be running I believe?

Btw: ASW causes some artifacts if you know where to look for them...(I won't spoil the fun for you :rolleyes:)

pa_pinkelman
16-01-2018, 08:15
I still wonder, how much 45 FPS it really is when running on ASW. If I got that right, then I get 45 properly calculated 3D frames plus 45 interpolated frames - to me that makes 90. Only difference is that 45 of them have not been calculated as a 3D scene.

I had been running pCARS2 with ASW permanently on and had no issues at all, being able to crank most quality settings up to high or ultra. Unfortunately the Oculus Tray Tool doesn´t work reliable anymore, so I left my graphics settings on that high level running almost permanent 45 (+45) FPS with 90 FPS kicking in every now and then. :rolleyes:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p29
for help with the tray tool.